Ubuntu

akregator segfaults when fetching non-well formed rss feed

Reported by Klaus S. Madsen on 2008-11-06
2
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
kdepimlibs
Won't Fix
High
qt4-x11 (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: akregator

Today Akregator started crashing when fetching one of my feeds. I'm using Kubuntu Intrepid.

I've identified the feed, and figured out that I can still crash it with the following minimal feed:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
<rss version="2.0">
<channel>
        <item>
                <guid><http://www.version2.dk/artikel/8938</guid>
        </item>
</channel>
</rss>

Apparently the extra < in the guid causes this crash. I've installed the kdepim-dbg package, but I can't seem to find any dbg-package that will give me the symbols for libQtXml.so.4, so I'm not sure how helpful it is.

Thanks for reporting this.

I think the package you need for the missing debugging symbols is libqt4-dbg. Could you give us the url for the original feed that triggers this. If I can reproduce it then we can confirm the bug

Changed in kdepim:
status: New → Incomplete

The original feed was fixed the day after I reported the bug here. But the problem still reproduces on my machine, if I take the XML from above and copy it into a file. Then I press "Insert" in akregator and write file:///home/ksm/test.rss as the URL. Selecting OK, will crash akregator.

And I just verified that I had libqt4-dbg installed when I did the attached stacktrace, so it doesn't seem to provide all the symbols, or the stack trace is wrong.

OK, I can reproduce this now with the same backtrace. I have exactly the same issue with the debugging symbols. It turns out the package needed for the symbols is libqt4-xmlpatterns-dbg. However, there is currently an issue with our qt debugging packages which is being tracked as bug 261380 so we're a bit stuck for now

Changed in kdepim:
importance: Undecided → Low
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
Harald Sitter (apachelogger) wrote :

I suggest one of you forwards the issue to KDE (http://bugs.kde.org) for the time being. I would assume they can try debug it there as well.
That way the issue ought to be resolved faster... waiting for fixed Qt packages could take quite some time :)

Sorry, I only just saw your comment now. I'll try to raise it as an bug in the KDE bugtracking system.

In the mean time I've reproduced the problem on Jaunty with KDE 4.2.3 from PPA, and that produces a stacktrace from the libQtXml part.

I have now created the bug in KDE's bugzilla as https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=192349 .

Jonathan Thomas (echidnaman) wrote :
affects: kdepimlibs (Ubuntu) → qt4-x11 (Ubuntu)
Changed in qt4-x11 (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Triaged
Changed in kdepimlibs:
importance: Undecided → Unknown
status: New → Unknown
Changed in kdepimlibs:
status: Unknown → Fix Released
Jonathan Thomas (echidnaman) wrote :

Should be fixed in Qt 4.6.0, according to upstream Qt.

Changed in qt4-x11 (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Changed in kdepimlibs:
status: Fix Released → Won't Fix
Changed in kdepimlibs:
importance: Unknown → High
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.