Postfix does not restart properly when using SSL

Bug #1139159 reported by cyberconte
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
postfix (Ubuntu)
High
LaMont Jones

Bug Description

I was running into a problem where postfix would not start up correctly after being restarted (either manually, via automated process, or from reboot). Postfix would always start without its SSL certs in place (which caused a problem in my configuration); a subsequent restart would fix it, resulting in a situation where every-other-start was successful.

I tracked the problem down to an issue in the init script that copies the certs from the SSL location to the postfix location. In a nutshell, it was creating a new directory for holding the copies files as subdirectory of the target, then deleting the target (including the "new" subdirectory), and subsequently failing to copy the new directory into the appropriate location.

Patch that fixed the problem is attached.

Using ubuntu server 12.10

Related branches

Revision history for this message
cyberconte (brenden-thecontes) wrote :
description: updated
Revision history for this message
Ubuntu Foundations Team Bug Bot (crichton) wrote :

The attachment "Patch for the postfix init script to fix the included issue." of this bug report has been identified as being a patch. The ubuntu-reviewers team has been subscribed to the bug report so that they can review the patch. In the event that this is in fact not a patch you can resolve this situation by removing the tag 'patch' from the bug report and editing the attachment so that it is not flagged as a patch. Additionally, if you are member of the ubuntu-reviewers team please also unsubscribe the team from this bug report.

[This is an automated message performed by a Launchpad user owned by Brian Murray. Please contact him regarding any issues with the action taken in this bug report.]

tags: added: patch
Revision history for this message
LaMont Jones (lamont) wrote :

What is the value for smtp_tls_CApath in your configuration?

Revision history for this message
cyberconte (brenden-thecontes) wrote : Re: [Bug 1139159] Re: Postfix does not restart properly when using SSL

It is /etc/ssl/certs/

Thanks,
-B

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM, LaMont Jones <email address hidden>wrote:

> What is the value for smtp_tls_CApath in your configuration?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1139159
>
> Title:
> Postfix does not restart properly when using SSL
>
> Status in “postfix” package in Ubuntu:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> I was running into a problem where postfix would not start up
> correctly after being restarted (either manually, via automated
> process, or from reboot). Postfix would always start without its SSL
> certs in place (which caused a problem in my configuration); a
> subsequent restart would fix it, resulting in a situation where every-
> other-start was successful.
>
> I tracked the problem down to an issue in the init script that copies
> the certs from the SSL location to the postfix location. In a
> nutshell, it was creating a new directory for holding the copies files
> as subdirectory of the target, then deleting the target (including the
> "new" subdirectory), and subsequently failing to copy the new
> directory into the appropriate location.
>
> Patch that fixed the problem is attached.
>
> Using ubuntu server 12.10
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postfix/+bug/1139159/+subscriptions
>

Revision history for this message
LaMont Jones (lamont) wrote :

Finally saw what was meant there. Confirmed, doing the mkdir "${dest_dir}.NEW" will be unconditional (inside that box) as of 2.10.0-1

Changed in postfix (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
assignee: nobody → LaMont Jones (lamont)
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
Revision history for this message
cyberconte (brenden-thecontes) wrote :

Just to note, there was also a single character change (from # to %) in the
first line of the patch to change the ".NEW" from being created as a
subdirectory of the target (and thus removed if new=1 ) to being on the
same level with ".NEW" appended (so the next mv succeeds)

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM, LaMont Jones <email address hidden>wrote:

> Finally saw what was meant there. Confirmed, doing the mkdir
> "${dest_dir}.NEW" will be unconditional (inside that box) as of 2.10.0-1
>
> ** Changed in: postfix (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Confirmed
>
> ** Changed in: postfix (Ubuntu)
> Assignee: (unassigned) => LaMont Jones (lamont)
>
> ** Changed in: postfix (Ubuntu)
> Status: Confirmed => Fix Committed
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1139159
>
> Title:
> Postfix does not restart properly when using SSL
>
> Status in “postfix” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Committed
>
> Bug description:
> I was running into a problem where postfix would not start up
> correctly after being restarted (either manually, via automated
> process, or from reboot). Postfix would always start without its SSL
> certs in place (which caused a problem in my configuration); a
> subsequent restart would fix it, resulting in a situation where every-
> other-start was successful.
>
> I tracked the problem down to an issue in the init script that copies
> the certs from the SSL location to the postfix location. In a
> nutshell, it was creating a new directory for holding the copies files
> as subdirectory of the target, then deleting the target (including the
> "new" subdirectory), and subsequently failing to copy the new
> directory into the appropriate location.
>
> Patch that fixed the problem is attached.
>
> Using ubuntu server 12.10
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postfix/+bug/1139159/+subscriptions
>

Changed in postfix (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
Revision history for this message
Scott Kitterman (kitterman) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package postfix - 2.10.0-2

---------------
postfix (2.10.0-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * Correctly set smtpd_relay_restrictions on upgrade to 2.10.0.
    Closes: #702374

 -- LaMont Jones <email address hidden> Thu, 14 Mar 2013 08:15:51 -0600

postfix (2.10.0-1) unstable; urgency=low

  [Wietse Venema]

  * New upstream version

  [LaMont Jones]

  * Fix fumbled merge to actually have the right maintainer address.
    Closes: #699877
  * Fix how we copy $smtp_tls_CApath into the chroot. LP: #1139159

 -- LaMont Jones <email address hidden> Mon, 04 Mar 2013 09:03:31 -0700

Changed in postfix (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers