/sbin/pam_tally2 not included in package

Bug #586462 reported by Justin Burket on 2010-05-27
20
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
pam (Debian)
Fix Released
Unknown
pam (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Lucid
Medium
Steve Langasek

Bug Description

pam 1.1.1-2ubuntu2 included in Lucid does not include /sbin/pam_tally2 which effectively breaks using pam_tally2 as you can not unlock a locked account without this utility. This has been fixed via debian bug #554010 and fixed in pam 1.1.1-3 in Maverick. I think this bug warrants a SRU.

Related branches

Steve Langasek (vorlon) wrote :

Since pam_tally has been marked deprecated upstream in 1.1.2 in favor of pam_tally2, I agree that this is SRU-worthy.

Changed in pam (Ubuntu Lucid):
assignee: nobody → Steve Langasek (vorlon)
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Triaged
Changed in pam (Ubuntu):
status: New → Fix Released
Changed in pam (Ubuntu Lucid):
milestone: none → ubuntu-10.04.2
Changed in pam (Ubuntu Lucid):
milestone: ubuntu-10.04.2 → ubuntu-10.04.3
Changed in pam (Debian):
status: Unknown → Fix Released

Hello Justin, or anyone else affected,

Accepted pam into lucid-proposed. The package will build now and be available in a few hours. Please test and give feedback here. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!

Changed in pam (Ubuntu Lucid):
status: Triaged → Fix Committed
tags: added: verification-needed
Steve Langasek (vorlon) on 2012-03-15
Changed in pam (Ubuntu Lucid):
milestone: ubuntu-10.04.3 → none

Good to hear Clint, i'll look for it and see how it goes.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Clint Byrum <email address hidden> wrote:
> Hello Justin, or anyone else affected,
>
> Accepted pam into lucid-proposed. The package will build now and be
> available in a few hours. Please test and give feedback here. See
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to
> enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!
>
> ** Changed in: pam (Ubuntu Lucid)
>       Status: Triaged => Fix Committed
>
> ** Tags added: verification-needed
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/586462
>
> Title:
>  /sbin/pam_tally2 not included in package
>
> Status in “pam” package in Ubuntu:
>  Fix Released
> Status in “pam” source package in Lucid:
>  Fix Committed
> Status in “pam” package in Debian:
>  Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
>  pam 1.1.1-2ubuntu2 included in Lucid does not include /sbin/pam_tally2
>  which effectively breaks using pam_tally2 as you can not unlock a
>  locked account without this utility.  This has been fixed via debian
>  bug #554010 and fixed in pam 1.1.1-3 in Maverick.  I think this bug
>  warrants a SRU.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/586462/+subscriptions

The fix for this bug has been awaiting testing feedback in the -proposed repository for lucid for more than 90 days. Please test this fix and update the bug appropriately with the results. In the event that the fix for this bug is still not verified 15 days from now, the package will be removed from the -proposed repository.

tags: added: removal-candidate
Steve Langasek (vorlon) wrote :

Justin, can you please confirm that the pam_tally2 module is usable for you with the version of pam in lucid-proposed?

Brian Murray (brian-murray) wrote :

The version of pam in lucid-proposed has been removed as this bug report was not verified in a timely fashion.

tags: removed: verification-needed
tags: removed: removal-candidate
Changed in pam (Ubuntu Lucid):
status: Fix Committed → Triaged

Steve,

I no longer have access to those systems to properly test the bug is not
present.

It was a pretty easy one to check though /sbin/pam_tally2 needs to be
present :)

Justin

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Steve Langasek <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Justin, can you please confirm that the pam_tally2 module is usable for
> you with the version of pam in lucid-proposed?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/586462
>
> Title:
> /sbin/pam_tally2 not included in package
>
> Status in “pam” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
> Status in “pam” source package in Lucid:
> Fix Committed
> Status in “pam” package in Debian:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> pam 1.1.1-2ubuntu2 included in Lucid does not include /sbin/pam_tally2
> which effectively breaks using pam_tally2 as you can not unlock a
> locked account without this utility. This has been fixed via debian
> bug #554010 and fixed in pam 1.1.1-3 in Maverick. I think this bug
> warrants a SRU.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/586462/+subscriptions
>

--
Justin Burket
C-Shift Lead
NOAA/NESDIS/FCDAS 907-451-1222

I have the same problem. Is it possible to submit the fix to lucid-proposed again? I would test it immediately.

Hello Justin, or anyone else affected,

Accepted pam into lucid-proposed. The package will build now and be available at http://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/1.1.1-2ubuntu5.6 in a few hours, and then in the -proposed repository.

Please help us by testing this new package. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Your feedback will aid us getting this update out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug, mentioning the version of the package you tested, and change the tag from verification-needed to verification-done. If it does not fix the bug for you, please add a comment stating that, and change the tag to verification-failed. In either case, details of your testing will help us make a better decision.

Further information regarding the verification process can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification . Thank you in advance!

Changed in pam (Ubuntu Lucid):
status: Triaged → Fix Committed
tags: added: verification-needed

Hi Brian

The PAM packages in lucid-proposed fix the problem with the missing /sbin/pam_tally2.
pam_tally2 works as expected:

aschiermeier@ubuntutest:~$ dpkg -l libpam0g libpam-runtime libpam-modules libpam-cracklib
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-=================-======================-==========================================================================================================================================
ii libpam-cracklib 1.1.1-2ubuntu5.6 PAM module to enable cracklib support
ii libpam-modules 1.1.1-2ubuntu5.6 Pluggable Authentication Modules for PAM
ii libpam-runtime 1.1.1-2ubuntu5.6 Runtime support for the PAM library
ii libpam0g 1.1.1-2ubuntu5.6 Pluggable Authentication Modules library
aschiermeier@ubuntutest:~$ sudo pam_tally2
Login Failures Latest failure From
root 2 03/26/13 15:36:50 ubuntutest.domain.site
aschiermeier@ubuntutest:~$ sudo pam_tally2 -r -u root
Login Failures Latest failure From
root 2 03/26/13 15:36:50 ubuntutest.domain.site
aschiermeier@ubuntutest:~$ sudo pam_tally2
aschiermeier@ubuntutest:~$

Thank you very much!

tags: added: verification-done
removed: verification-needed

The verification of this Stable Release Update has completed successfully and the package has now been released to -updates. Subsequently, the Ubuntu Stable Release Updates Team is being unsubscribed and will not receive messages about this bug report. In the event that you encounter a regression using the package from -updates please report a new bug using ubuntu-bug and tag the bug report regression-update so we can easily find any regresssions.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package pam - 1.1.1-2ubuntu5.6

---------------
pam (1.1.1-2ubuntu5.6) lucid-proposed; urgency=low

  * Include the pam_tally2 helper in /sbin so that the pam_tally2 module can
    be used. LP: #586462.
 -- Steve Langasek <email address hidden> Tue, 26 Mar 2013 13:05:44 -0700

Changed in pam (Ubuntu Lucid):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.