nautilus crash: assertion failed: (NAUTILUS_IS_VIEW (view)) with overlay-scrollbar

Bug #740765 reported by Sam Vo on 2011-03-23
392
This bug affects 61 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
overlay-scrollbar
Undecided
Unassigned
overlay-scrollbar (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: nautilus

Nautilus crushed on startup. Problem appeared after updating.
Ubuntu 11.04 (as a guest system via VirtualBox)
Nautilus 1:2.32.2.1-0ubuntu9

ProblemType: Crash
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
Package: nautilus 1:2.32.2.1-0ubuntu9
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-7.38-generic 2.6.38
Uname: Linux 2.6.38-7-generic i686
Architecture: i386
CrashCounter: 1
Date: Wed Mar 23 10:05:14 2011
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/nautilus
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Alpha i386 (20110302)
ProcCmdline: nautilus
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=ru_RU:en
 LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
Signal: 6
SourcePackage: nautilus
StacktraceTop:
 __kernel_vsyscall ()
 raise () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
 abort () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
 g_assertion_message () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
 g_assertion_message_expr () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
Title: nautilus crashed with SIGABRT in __kernel_vsyscall()
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
XsessionErrors:
 (nautilus:1216): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_free: assertion `value != NULL' failed
 (nautilus:1216): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_debug_add_log_function: assertion `func != NULL' failed
 (nautilus:1216): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_free: assertion `value != NULL' failed
 (nautilus:1216): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_free: assertion `value != NULL' failed
 (nautilus:1625): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_free: assertion `value != NULL' failed

Sam Vo (samvo) wrote :

StacktraceTop:
 __kernel_vsyscall ()
 raise (sig=6) at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:64
 abort () at abort.c:92
 g_assertion_message (domain=0x0, file=0x81b5eef "nautilus-window.c", line=1483, func=0x81b6500 "nautilus_window_disconnect_content_view", message=<value optimized out>) at /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.28.4/./glib/gtestutils.c:1358
 g_assertion_message_expr (domain=0x0, file=0x81b5eef "nautilus-window.c", line=1483, func=0x81b6500 "nautilus_window_disconnect_content_view", expr=0x81b5f8e "NAUTILUS_IS_VIEW (view)") at /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.28.4/./glib/gtestutils.c:1369

Changed in nautilus (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
tags: removed: need-i386-retrace
visibility: private → public

Happened when mounting three partitions consecutively.

For me, that happened when i'm trying to close nautilus.

Changed in nautilus (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Ted Gould (ted)

for me happened when copying file as root from one partition to another
my logs are here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/744193

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

The crash started on the same day that version was uploaded

"nautilus (1:2.32.2.1-0ubuntu9) natty; urgency=low

  * 17_disable_locked_automounting.patch: Fix g_bus_unwatch_name() assertion
    failure. (Also committed upstream in 9142d259). (LP: #724285)"

Changed in nautilus (Ubuntu):
assignee: Ted Gould (ted) → Martin Pitt (pitti)
importance: Medium → High
Martin Pitt (pitti) on 2011-03-29
Changed in nautilus (Ubuntu):
status: New → In Progress

I don't think its' related to the actual change in 1:2.32.2.1-0ubuntu9, this merely seems coincidental to me. I can't see how this patch update could ever cause this assertion failure.

This crashes in nautilus_window_disconnect_content_view(), in g_assert (NAUTILUS_IS_VIEW (view)); the passed view is not NULL, but apparently it is invalid. Unfortunately it is the only place in the stack trace whic exposes view.

Does anyone happen to have a recipe how this can reliably be reproduced? I tried with closing windows, mounting several usb sticks and usb hard drives at once, copying files as user, copying files on the command line as root with "sudo cp /etc/passwd /media/PittiUSB/", and so on, and nautilus never crashed.

summary: - nautilus crashed with SIGABRT in __kernel_vsyscall()
+ nautilus crash: assertion failed: (NAUTILUS_IS_VIEW (view))
Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Ah, I know, it's not due to that patch change, and not even because of 17_disable_locked_automounting.patch at all. It's just that we re-enabled SIGABRT crashes in apport without an assertion message at that time, so before we didn't actually get these crash reports.

Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

So, I'm afraid I need a proper recipe for reproducing this, as I have no indication which particular change introduced this crash.

Changed in nautilus (Ubuntu):
assignee: Martin Pitt (pitti) → nobody
status: In Progress → Incomplete
spupy (spupys) wrote :

This is my recipe for reproducing the crash. (I think it's the same problem - the error message is the same).
1. Nautilus running as desktop. Open a folder.
[Optional: 2. Press "Ctrl+W" or select the equivalent "Close" from the File menu -> no crash; window closes normally.]
3. Press "Ctrl+Q", the equivalent "Close all windows" from the File menu, or click the Close button on the window titlebar
-> all windows close, desktop icons disappear and nautilus crashes.

100% reproducible here, just updated to Beta 1

Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Doesn't crash here with that recipe, I tried several times

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

it doesn't crash here either, do you have any special theme, view style, etc? do you use the default nautilus config or did you change to use spatial, or tabs, or list view or something specific?

spupy (spupys) wrote :

Default config, default theme. Only extra addon is dropbox.
There are two cases:
1. Trying to close a single window from keyboard/menu -> OK
2. Trying to close all windows from keyboard/menu OR click the X button -> Crash.

If needed I can provide any other needed info dumps (or whatever they are called). My problem is related to the title of this bug (NAUTILUS_IS_VIEW) but not to the initial bug description. I'm sorry if this is not the appropriate place.
In a couple of days I may attempt a more serious debug procedure.

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

is everybody on this bug using the new overlay scrollbar or having those installed?

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

seems similar to bug #748552

Yes, I have the new overlay scrollbar installed, I installed them for
testing and then kept them.
Carla

I use Natty Beta 1, so the scrollbars are there by default.

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

> I use Natty Beta 1, so the scrollbars are there by default.

no, they have been uploaded after beta1 and have to be manually installed still

Yes, I have installed it.

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Sebastien Bacher <email address hidden> wrote:

> is everybody on this bug using the new overlay scrollbar or having those
> installed?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (747566).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/740765
>
> Title:
> nautilus crash: assertion failed: (NAUTILUS_IS_VIEW (view))
>
> Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: nautilus
>
> Nautilus crushed on startup. Problem appeared after updating.
> Ubuntu 11.04 (as a guest system via VirtualBox)
> Nautilus 1:2.32.2.1-0ubuntu9
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
> Package: nautilus 1:2.32.2.1-0ubuntu9
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-7.38-generic 2.6.38
> Uname: Linux 2.6.38-7-generic i686
> Architecture: i386
> CrashCounter: 1
> Date: Wed Mar 23 10:05:14 2011
> ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/nautilus
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Alpha i386 (20110302)
> ProcCmdline: nautilus
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=ru_RU:en
> LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> Signal: 6
> SourcePackage: nautilus
> StacktraceTop:
> __kernel_vsyscall ()
> raise () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
> abort () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
> g_assertion_message () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
> g_assertion_message_expr () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
> Title: nautilus crashed with SIGABRT in __kernel_vsyscall()
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
> XsessionErrors:
> (nautilus:1216): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_free: assertion `value !=
> NULL' failed
> (nautilus:1216): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_debug_add_log_function:
> assertion `func != NULL' failed
> (nautilus:1216): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_free: assertion `value !=
> NULL' failed
> (nautilus:1216): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_free: assertion `value !=
> NULL' failed
> (nautilus:1625): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_free: assertion `value !=
> NULL' failed
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/740765/+subscribe
>

Martin Pitt (pitti) on 2011-04-04
affects: nautilus (Ubuntu) → overlay-scrollbar (Ubuntu)
Changed in overlay-scrollbar (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
summary: - nautilus crash: assertion failed: (NAUTILUS_IS_VIEW (view))
+ nautilus crash: assertion failed: (NAUTILUS_IS_VIEW (view)) with
+ overlay-scrollbar
Changed in ayatana-scrollbar:
status: New → Confirmed
Mathilda Young (gtrsdk) wrote :

I am using the new overlay scrollbar.

Andrea Cimitan (cimi) wrote :

I'm not able to reproduce the bug anymore with overlay-scrollbar from trunk, so I guess this bug will be fixed with the next release...

Doug McMahon (mc3man) wrote :

See no more nautilus crashes with the 0.1.5 version installed

Andrea Cimitan (cimi) wrote :

Didn't see them Doug? or you're just rephrasing what I said?

Changed in overlay-scrollbar (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
Changed in ayatana-scrollbar:
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
Doug McMahon (mc3man) wrote :

"Didn't see them Doug? or you're just rephrasing what I said?"
Sorry for any confusion or unneeded noise -
Was getting constant crashes with the current 0.1.4, noticed you said "I guess" , so installed from the 0.1.5 source and was noting I no longer have any more nautilus crashes with the overlay-scrollbar enabled

Andrea Cimitan (cimi) wrote :

awesome, fix released then :)

Changed in ayatana-scrollbar:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Changed in overlay-scrollbar (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.