Correct and/or improve handling of certain quiesced snapshot failures

Bug #1814832 reported by Oliver Kurth on 2019-02-05
12
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
open-vm-tools (Debian)
Fix Released
Unknown
open-vm-tools (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned
Bionic
Undecided
Unassigned
Cosmic
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Customers may hit issues with quiesced snapshots under certain circumstances. This is fixed in a branch forked from 10.3.5:

https://github.com/vmware/open-vm-tools/tree/stable-10.3.5-quiesced-snapshot

A more detailed description of the issue can be found in the individual commit messages.

Also filed at Debian: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=921470

Related branches

Oliver Kurth (okurth-1) wrote :

A short summary of the changes:

- Attempt to notify the host that a backup manifest is available on every completed snapshot. Previously vmtoolsd attempted to detect whether the host was running an older version of ESX that did not support receiving a backup manifest, which occasionally resulted in it erroneously identifying a host as an older host.
- Provide more informative logging messages when a backup manifest notification is refused by the host.
- Abort quiesced snapshot operations promptly after detecting that the host has aborted its side of the operation. Previously vmtools would continue until it hit its own internal timeout.
- Don’t try to notify the host that a backup manifest is available when the quiesced snapshot is aborted.

We suggest to have these changes integrated into the 10.3.5 package.

Hi Oliver,
thanks for the report and the Debian bug.
We can wait a few days if Bernd gets to integrate that in Debian to get it in Disco/19.04.
Otherwise I might cherry pick this before Feature Freeze (this is isn't a feature so it could be later, but uploads are easier before the freeze).

Since we are still in "preparation" of the 10.3.5 backports themselves in bug 1813944 and I heard that your verification will take a while due to chinese new year that actually fits quite well.

I'd want to do the following:
- wait a week what Bernd says for Debian which would get into Disco
- if not actioned then consider a Delta for Disco
- wrap that up into the PPA for the Bionic/Cosmic SRUs before verification

Most likely we would rely on you to test this bug here in regard to all the VMWare Hipervisor involvement that is needed for the qiuesced snapshots. But for the SRU processing it would be nice if you'd describe as good as possible how such a test would look like. That description you could add right now so that I can pre-prepare the SRU template already.

Changed in open-vm-tools (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → Triaged

Hi Oliver,
Bernd was rather open on debian #921470 but you'd need to reply if there is a branch with this (and more) stable things or if this is the only one reasonably backpporting to 10.3.5 for now.

I think once you have answered that he will upload and we will sync to Disco (and consider SURs from there). So it would be really helpful to resolve that open question.
Since the bug here is blocked on that as well I'm marking it incomplete for now.

Changed in open-vm-tools (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Incomplete
Changed in open-vm-tools (Debian):
status: Unknown → New

Version 2:10.3.5-6 is in disco-release so that is done.
Since that worked as expected I can also bundle it into the planned SRU to backport to 18.04/18.10.

Changed in open-vm-tools (Ubuntu Cosmic):
status: New → Fix Released
Changed in open-vm-tools (Ubuntu Bionic):
status: New → Fix Released
Changed in open-vm-tools (Ubuntu Cosmic):
status: Fix Released → Triaged
Changed in open-vm-tools (Ubuntu Bionic):
status: Fix Released → Triaged
Changed in open-vm-tools (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Fix Released

The backports for Bionic and Cosmic are prepared and bundled with bug 1813944 as planned.
As usual please pre-verify this against the PPA [1] before we upload this to the SRU queue.

Setting incomplete as we wait for feedback on this.

[1]: https://launchpad.net/~ci-train-ppa-service/+archive/ubuntu/3617

Changed in open-vm-tools (Ubuntu Bionic):
status: Triaged → Incomplete
Changed in open-vm-tools (Ubuntu Cosmic):
status: Triaged → Incomplete
Changed in open-vm-tools (Debian):
status: New → Fix Released

Checks complete (in other bug)

Uploaded to Bionic/Cosmic SRU queue now.
Once the SRU Team accepts it they will call for the next (last) round of testing.

Changed in open-vm-tools (Ubuntu Bionic):
status: Incomplete → In Progress
Changed in open-vm-tools (Ubuntu Cosmic):
status: Incomplete → In Progress
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.