Ubuntu

Ubuntu fails to boot with nVidia proprietary driver

Reported by Matthew Tompsett on 2011-04-25
68
This bug affects 12 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

After installing the proprietary nvidia driver in Ubuntu Natty (32bit and 64bit tested) and rebooting, the system freezes before reaching the login screen. The system can boot fine using the nouveau package, but as soon as nvidia-current is installed the system crashes. Trying to switch to a tty doesn't work, the only way to reboot after this is to use the magic sysrq combination, and then boot into text mode to remove the nvidia-current driver.

The card in my machine is:
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C79 [GeForce 9300 / nForce 730i] (rev b1)

The driver version I installed, both on 32 and 64bit systems is 270.41.06-0ubuntu1.

matthew@matthew-desktop:~/Documents$ lsb_release -rd
Description: Ubuntu 11.04
Release: 11.04
---
Architecture: amd64
CompizPlugins: No value set for `/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
CompositorRunning: kwin
DRM.card0.DP.1:
 status: disconnected
 enabled: disabled
 dpms: Off
 modes:
 edid-base64:
DRM.card0.HDMI.A.1:
 status: disconnected
 enabled: disabled
 dpms: Off
 modes:
 edid-base64:
DRM.card0.HDMI.A.2:
 status: disconnected
 enabled: disabled
 dpms: Off
 modes:
 edid-base64:
DRM.card0.VGA.1:
 status: connected
 enabled: enabled
 dpms: On
 modes: 1920x1080 1280x1024 1440x900 1280x800 1152x864 1024x768 1024x768 800x600 800x600 640x480 640x480 720x400
 edid-base64: AP///////wAEcqgALfsxkQ0TAQNoMx14Ku6Ro1RMmSYPUFSzDABxT4GAlQCBANHAAQEBAQEBAjqAGHE4LUBYLEUA/h8RAAAeAAAA/QA4Sx5TEgAKICAgICAgAAAA/wBMRzEwODAwNDQyMDAKAAAA/ABBQ0VSIFgyMzNICiAgAA==
DistUpgraded: Fresh install
DistroCodename: natty
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
DistroVariant: kubuntu
GraphicsCard:
 nVidia Corporation C79 [GeForce 9300 / nForce 730i] [10de:086c] (rev b1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
   Subsystem: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:cb79]
InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta amd64 (20110413)
MachineType: NVIDIA MCP7A
Package: nvidia-graphics-drivers (not installed)
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
 LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=bda5cc92-6021-4405-a599-2da80df8319e ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
Renderer: Unknown
Tags: natty kubuntu patch
Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic x86_64
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
dmi.bios.date: 02/02/2009
dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
dmi.bios.version: 6.00 PG
dmi.board.name: MCP7A
dmi.board.vendor: NVIDIA
dmi.board.version: 2
dmi.chassis.type: 3
dmi.chassis.vendor: NVIDIA
dmi.chassis.version: MCP7A
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnPhoenixTechnologies,LTD:bvr6.00PG:bd02/02/2009:svnNVIDIA:pnMCP7A:pvr2:rvnNVIDIA:rnMCP7A:rvr2:cvnNVIDIA:ct3:cvrMCP7A:
dmi.product.name: MCP7A
dmi.product.version: 2
dmi.sys.vendor: NVIDIA
version.compiz: compiz N/A
version.ia32-libs: ia32-libs 20090808ubuntu13
version.libdrm2: libdrm2 2.4.23-1ubuntu6
version.libgl1-mesa-dri: libgl1-mesa-dri 7.10.2-0ubuntu2
version.libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental: libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental 7.10.2-0ubuntu2
version.libgl1-mesa-glx: libgl1-mesa-glx 7.10.2-0ubuntu2
version.xserver-xorg: xserver-xorg 1:7.6+4ubuntu3
version.xserver-xorg-video-ati: xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.14.0-0ubuntu4
version.xserver-xorg-video-intel: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.14.0-4ubuntu7.1
version.xserver-xorg-video-nouveau: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:0.0.16+git20110107+b795ca6e-0ubuntu7

Matthew Tompsett (matthewbpt) wrote :

This problem still persists after yesterdays release so I can't upgrade to Natty at this time without losing support for my nVidia card. What extra information do I need to give?

I've done some more messing about to see if I can fix the problem. I added the x-swat ppa to my Maverick system to see if the problem exists in Maverick with the latests driver and I got the same result when upgrading the nvidia-current driver: The xserver crashes and the system is completely unresponsive after the driver is loaded. I looked at the latest changelog for the driver which is installed in Natty http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-270.41.06-driver.html and it says:

Fixed a bug that caused some GPUs to stop responding when the X Server was started. All GPUs are susceptible, but the failure was primarily seen on GF104 and GF106 boards.

This sounds like the problem I am having, but the driver doesn't fix the bug for me?!

I'd really like to use Natty, so any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

Matthew Tompsett (matthewbpt) wrote :

I was unable to get any kernel logs directly from the machine, but I was advised by someone to use netconsole to get the Kernel Oops and I am attaching it here. In line 26 you can see the Oops occur after the nvidia driver is loaded. I hope this helps uncover the problem.

Cheers,

Matt

apport information

tags: added: apport-collected kubuntu natty patch
description: updated

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

apport information

Matthew Tompsett (matthewbpt) wrote :

To clarify, the information just added to the report shows nvidia-graphics-driver as not installed because I am unable to boot with the driver installed, so I had to uninstall it to run the apport-collect program.

Mark Street (streetster) wrote :
Download full text (3.3 KiB)

I've got the same issue with the 260 drivers (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-270.41.06.run). I'm currently on the 173 version (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-270.41.06.run)which is pretty slow but at least I can boot into X. I cant get 195 to install (fails to build module and dies).

I've attached my kern.log file (stripped irrelevant previous boots). Here is a sample of the error:

May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997254] Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997256] last sysfs file: /sys/devices/virtual/sound/timer/uevent
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997260] CPU 0
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997260] Modules linked in: nvidia(P) binfmt_misc parport_pc ppdev vesafb snd_hda_codec_hdmi snd_hda_codec_realtek joydev hid_logitech ff_memless snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec snd_hwdep snd_pcm video usbhid hid snd_seq_midi snd_rawmidi snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq snd_timer snd_seq_device snd psmouse shpchp soundcore i2c_nforce2 snd_page_alloc serio_raw lp parport usb_storage uas ahci libahci forcedeth [last unloaded: nvidia]
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997283]
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997285] Pid: 11610, comm: Xorg Tainted: P 2.6.38-8-generic #42-Ubuntu NVIDIA MCP7A/MCP7A
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997289] RIP: 0010:[<ffffffffa15bad96>] [<ffffffffa15bad96>] _nv008385rm+0xf1/0x115 [nvidia]
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997399] RSP: 0018:ffff88011e2a98b8 EFLAGS: 00010246
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997400] RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: 0000000000000000 RCX: 000000000000000e
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997402] RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: 0000000000000000 RDI: ffff880094190000
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997403] RBP: ffff88009439dd78 R08: ffff88009d280000 R09: ffff8800a1764350
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997405] R10: 0000000000000021 R11: 0000000000000021 R12: ffff8800a16c4000
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997406] R13: 0000000000000000 R14: ffff880094190000 R15: ffff88009d280000
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997409] FS: 00007f664ac1c8a0(0000) GS:ffff88005fc00000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997410] CS: 0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 000000008005003b
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997412] CR2: 0000000000000a48 CR3: 0000000117831000 CR4: 00000000000006f0
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997414] DR0: 0000000000000000 DR1: 0000000000000000 DR2: 0000000000000000
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997415] DR3: 0000000000000000 DR6: 00000000ffff0ff0 DR7: 0000000000000400
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997417] Process Xorg (pid: 11610, threadinfo ffff88011e2a8000, task ffff8801161744a0)
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997418] Stack:
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997420] 0000000000000000 ffff880094190000 ffff8800a16c4000 ffff88009d280000
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997423] 0000000000000000 ffffffffa15bae91 0000000000000000 ffff8800a16c4000
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997425] ffff8800a16c4000 ffffffffa1583017 ffff8800a16c4000 ffff88009439ddf8
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997428] Call Trace:
May 10 18:17:53 mini kernel: [ 473.997539] [<ffffffffa15bae91>] ? _nv008198rm+0x54/0x60 [nvidia]...

Read more...

Ezio Vergine (virgolus) wrote :

same problem for me.
the system doesn't start after installing nvidia proprietary driver with jockey (no extra ppa enabled).
I've deleted the splash parameter from grub boot record and when the kernel boot up services, I've this error:

"loca fallback graphics devices [failed]"

ChipsetSV (chipset89) wrote :

i have its problem too after upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 on Nvidia 9300 with nvidia_current and nouveau driver.
on boot X stops and i can use only ssh.

Rufus (balaenoptera-rufus) wrote :

This bug also affects my Zotac Geforce 9300-H-E with Linux Mint 11 Katya. I have no solution today other than stick to older version of Linux Mint.

Rasmus Nielsen (adlertropf) wrote :

I also have this problem. Has anyone tried this solution? Zotac 9300 Celeron 3300, 2 GB ram, 512 ram for graphics.

http://www.warp1337.com/content/ubuntu-1104-natty-segmentation-fault-nvidia-geforce-9-series-kernel-failure-solved

Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
Andreas (evilandi666) wrote :

@adlertropf
this is not the same bug, the solution does not fix it.
Nvidia is working on it, see here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2456013
The nvidia internal bug id is 836658

Download full text (4.7 KiB)

The bug is still there in Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot. I installed the new
release a few days ago and experienced the same problems with the nVidia
chipset/driver. The suggested solution (
http://www.warp1337.com/content/ubuntu-1104-natty-segmentation-fault-
nvidia-geforce-9-series-kernel-failure-solved) does not solve this issue.

2011/7/21 Rasmus Nielsen <email address hidden>

> I also have this problem. Has anyone tried this solution? Zotac 9300
> Celeron 3300, 2 GB ram, 512 ram for graphics.
>
> http://www.warp1337.com/content/ubuntu-1104-natty-segmentation-fault-
> nvidia-geforce-9-series-kernel-failure-solved
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (771594).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/770559
>
> Title:
> Ubuntu fails to boot with nVidia proprietary driver
>
> Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers” package in Ubuntu:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> After installing the proprietary nvidia driver in Ubuntu Natty (32bit
> and 64bit tested) and rebooting, the system freezes before reaching
> the login screen. The system can boot fine using the nouveau package,
> but as soon as nvidia-current is installed the system crashes. Trying
> to switch to a tty doesn't work, the only way to reboot after this is
> to use the magic sysrq combination, and then boot into text mode to
> remove the nvidia-current driver.
>
> The card in my machine is:
> 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C79 [GeForce 9300 /
> nForce 730i] (rev b1)
>
> The driver version I installed, both on 32 and 64bit systems is
> 270.41.06-0ubuntu1.
>
>
> matthew@matthew-desktop:~/Documents$ lsb_release -rd
> Description: Ubuntu 11.04
> Release: 11.04
> ---
> Architecture: amd64
> CompizPlugins: No value set for
> `/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
> CompositorRunning: kwin
> DRM.card0.DP.1:
> status: disconnected
> enabled: disabled
> dpms: Off
> modes:
> edid-base64:
> DRM.card0.HDMI.A.1:
> status: disconnected
> enabled: disabled
> dpms: Off
> modes:
> edid-base64:
> DRM.card0.HDMI.A.2:
> status: disconnected
> enabled: disabled
> dpms: Off
> modes:
> edid-base64:
> DRM.card0.VGA.1:
> status: connected
> enabled: enabled
> dpms: On
> modes: 1920x1080 1280x1024 1440x900 1280x800 1152x864 1024x768 1024x768
> 800x600 800x600 640x480 640x480 720x400
> edid-base64:
> AP///////wAEcqgALfsxkQ0TAQNoMx14Ku6Ro1RMmSYPUFSzDABxT4GAlQCBANHAAQEBAQEBAjqAGHE4LUBYLEUA/h8RAAAeAAAA/QA4Sx5TEgAKICAgICAgAAAA/wBMRzEwODAwNDQyMDAKAAAA/ABBQ0VSIFgyMzNICiAgAA==
> DistUpgraded: Fresh install
> DistroCodename: natty
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
> DistroVariant: kubuntu
> GraphicsCard:
> nVidia Corporation C79 [GeForce 9300 / nForce 730i] [10de:086c] (rev b1)
> (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> Subsystem: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:cb79]
> InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta amd64 (20110413)
> MachineType: NVIDIA MCP7A
> Package: nvidia-graphics-drivers (not installed)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic
>...

Read more...

ChipsetSV (chipset89) wrote :

This bug solved on GeForce 9300 chipset in new nVidia 290.03 beta driver.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=162538&page=6

Rufus (balaenoptera-rufus) wrote :
Download full text (4.5 KiB)

Thanks a lot for the link. I installed beta driver 290.03. Now the Zotac
Geforce 9300 H-E mainboard runs perfectly again, for the first time since
Maverick Meerkat.

2011/11/2 ChipsetSV <email address hidden>

> This bug solved on GeForce 9300 chipset in new nVidia 290.03 beta driver.
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=162538&page=6
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (771594).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/770559
>
> Title:
> Ubuntu fails to boot with nVidia proprietary driver
>
> Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> After installing the proprietary nvidia driver in Ubuntu Natty (32bit
> and 64bit tested) and rebooting, the system freezes before reaching
> the login screen. The system can boot fine using the nouveau package,
> but as soon as nvidia-current is installed the system crashes. Trying
> to switch to a tty doesn't work, the only way to reboot after this is
> to use the magic sysrq combination, and then boot into text mode to
> remove the nvidia-current driver.
>
> The card in my machine is:
> 03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C79 [GeForce 9300 /
> nForce 730i] (rev b1)
>
> The driver version I installed, both on 32 and 64bit systems is
> 270.41.06-0ubuntu1.
>
>
> matthew@matthew-desktop:~/Documents$ lsb_release -rd
> Description: Ubuntu 11.04
> Release: 11.04
> ---
> Architecture: amd64
> CompizPlugins: No value set for
> `/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'
> CompositorRunning: kwin
> DRM.card0.DP.1:
> status: disconnected
> enabled: disabled
> dpms: Off
> modes:
> edid-base64:
> DRM.card0.HDMI.A.1:
> status: disconnected
> enabled: disabled
> dpms: Off
> modes:
> edid-base64:
> DRM.card0.HDMI.A.2:
> status: disconnected
> enabled: disabled
> dpms: Off
> modes:
> edid-base64:
> DRM.card0.VGA.1:
> status: connected
> enabled: enabled
> dpms: On
> modes: 1920x1080 1280x1024 1440x900 1280x800 1152x864 1024x768 1024x768
> 800x600 800x600 640x480 640x480 720x400
> edid-base64:
> AP///////wAEcqgALfsxkQ0TAQNoMx14Ku6Ro1RMmSYPUFSzDABxT4GAlQCBANHAAQEBAQEBAjqAGHE4LUBYLEUA/h8RAAAeAAAA/QA4Sx5TEgAKICAgICAgAAAA/wBMRzEwODAwNDQyMDAKAAAA/ABBQ0VSIFgyMzNICiAgAA==
> DistUpgraded: Fresh install
> DistroCodename: natty
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
> DistroVariant: kubuntu
> GraphicsCard:
> nVidia Corporation C79 [GeForce 9300 / nForce 730i] [10de:086c] (rev b1)
> (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> Subsystem: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:cb79]
> InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Beta amd64 (20110413)
> MachineType: NVIDIA MCP7A
> Package: nvidia-graphics-drivers (not installed)
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic
> root=UUID=bda5cc92-6021-4405-a599-2da80df8319e ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
> Renderer: Unknown
> Tags: natty kubuntu patch
> Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic x86_64
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log prese...

Read more...

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers