[MASTER] -nvidia broken after Jan 31st updates, because it does not yet support xserver 1.10

Bug #711409 reported by zeruke on 2011-02-01
500
This bug affects 86 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)
Critical
Unassigned
Natty
Critical
Unassigned

Bug Description

[Problem]
NVIDIA does not provide xserver 1.10 support in their driver yet.
Thus, its drivers do not work with Ubuntu starting on Jan 31st, when it moved to xserver 1.9.99.
See https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-x/2011-February/001050.html

[Original Report]
in natty the latest update i did dealing with xorg broke my nvidia driver and then had it were all i could get to in my system was the CLI...i had to create a .Xauthority and then it showed that the gnaric drivers were not working to display gdm or anything but the CLI and said something about the VGA and screen going agenst each other (i dont remember how it was put)

i am attaching .xsession-error

also i did try to install the latist daily build of natty but the instillation failed after the kernel so i can be of much help till i re-install a previous build

----edit:
for some more info im useing a HP Pavilion dv6605us with a nvidia GeForce 7150M /nForce 630M built-in graphics the max screen resolution is 1280x800 for the screen which is a 15"

zeruke (oninekoze) wrote :
zeruke (oninekoze) wrote :

changing status to confirm because another person put down as this effects them.....im going to go through the updates again to get more info on this problem once i get the chance sometime today.

Changed in xorg (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
zeruke (oninekoze) wrote :

im not going to be able to get more information for a while because of the live version had very bad graphical issues from wrong resolution detection which i submitted a bug about sense its been like that for a few versions of ubuntu which is seen at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/711591

bugbot (bugbot) on 2011-02-02
affects: xorg (Ubuntu) → nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)
jordicoma (jordicoma22) wrote :

I have the same problem. I tried to install the nvidia oficial driver from nvidia page after that, and in /var/log/Xorg.0.conf NVIDIA say that the driver is not compatible with the ABI 9.0 from Xorg.

The problem is after the update from xserver-xorg-core 2:1.9.99.901+git20110131.be3be758-0ubuntu1.

now runing wih nouveau..., without opengl.

zeruke (oninekoze) wrote :

well with me i cant use nouveau's latest update because of the graphical issues that wont fix up when changing resolution anymore....and on the actual driver from nvidia there's probably a need for a patch or need to get them to get a new version up

zeruke (oninekoze) on 2011-02-02
description: updated
Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

The -nvidia proprietary driver does not yet work with xserver 1.10. Known issue, you have to uninstall it and use -nouveau until NVIDIA releases a version of the driver that supports xserver 1.10.

summary: - latest update broke nvidia
+ -nvidia broken after Jan 31st updates, because it does not yet support
+ xserver 1.10
Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu Natty):
importance: Undecided → Critical
milestone: none → ubuntu-11.04-beta
status: Confirmed → Triaged
description: updated

@bryce

thanks for the info but what if nouveau doesn't work correctly which iv submitted about here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/711591 ....i would like to continue to test natty but if i cant get around because of the graphical issues then theres no point to get into it

Jacob Peddicord (jpeddicord) wrote :

Haven't tried this one myself, but the 270.18 driver lists 1.10 support. It's a beta driver, fwiw.

[1] http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-270.18-driver.html

zeruke (oninekoze) wrote :

@jacob

thanks i'll give it a try
---
and for people who want to use the 32-bit here's the link http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-270.18-driver.html

zeruke (oninekoze) wrote :

the nvidia 270.18 has a problem about ABI with the new set of xorg which seems that even if i startx with ignoreABI

zeruke (oninekoze) wrote :

*i get problems so right now i have no accelerated graphics because nouveau doesnt work right for me

zeruke (oninekoze) wrote :

did some looking and found you can get it through the x updates ppa ==> ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

Jorge Suárez de Lis (ys) wrote :

270.18 won't work for me also. After setting the ignoreABI I get a segfault. X log attached.

zeruke (oninekoze) wrote :

the segfault seems to be a known problem to nvidia, also by the sounds of it the next release for the driver should work without needing to add the ignoreABI but still unsure on that, also by the looks of it the next release should happen sometime this month

Ivan Borzenkov (ivan1986) wrote :

270.18 won't work whis ignoreABI

Bryce Harrington (bryce) wrote :

@zeruke if nouveau is buggy on your hardware, two other options are to use fbdev or vesa.

zeruke (oninekoze) wrote :

@Bryce Harrington
yes i know, and by what i know vesa starts up when you modeset=0 to nouveau which is what i have set up at the moment

Drivers 270.26 are available on the nvidia ftp, without changelog, since this morning. Any idea if it fixes the issue?

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/270.26/

I tried installing them but had to rollback to nouveau, though I didn't spend too much time on it.

Mathieu Comandon (strycore) wrote :

I tried the 270.26 drivers and there were no improvement, I still got the ABI error.
Since this version isn't even displayed on their beta driver page, maybe we can expect another release in the next few days that would fix this issue.

zeruke (oninekoze) wrote :

well to me i think that 270.26 is actually some kind of placeholder since its not showing up on the beta driver page... and im sure there will be another release soon but i think they are waiting till the xorg ABI has become stable

I ended up recompiling Xorg, checking out branch 1.9.4. Wasn't as tricky as I expected it to be so definitely worth it. No other incompatibilities either.

Felix Yan (felixonmars) wrote :

The ABI error could be ignored using:

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "ignoreABI" "on"
EndSection

in xorg.conf, have you tried it yet?

Jacob Peddicord (jpeddicord) wrote :

Felix: As has been stated, IgnoreABI causes a crash; the driver simply isn't compatible. There's a reason you need to add that line manually, you know. ;)

Kenneth Long

--- On Wed, 2/16/11, Felix Yan <email address hidden> wrote:

> From: Felix Yan <email address hidden>
> Subject: [Bug 711409] Re: -nvidia broken after Jan 31st updates, because it does not yet support xserver 1.10
> To: <email address hidden>
> Date: Wednesday, February 16, 2011, 8:43 AM
> The ABI error could be ignored
> using:
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>         Option
>             "ignoreABI" "on"
> EndSection
>
> in xorg.conf, have you tried it yet?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct
> subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (712852).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/711409
>
> Title:
>   -nvidia broken after Jan 31st updates, because it
> does not yet support
>   xserver 1.10
>
> Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers” package in Ubuntu:
>   Triaged
> Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers” source package in
> Natty:
>   Triaged
>
> Bug description:
>   [Problem]
>   NVIDIA does not provide xserver 1.10 support in
> their driver yet.
>   Thus, its drivers do not work with Ubuntu starting
> on Jan 31st, when it moved to xserver 1.9.99.
>   See https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-x/2011-February/001050.html
>
>   [Original Report]
>   in natty the latest update i did dealing with xorg
> broke my nvidia driver and then had it were all i could get
> to in my system was the CLI...i had to create a .Xauthority
> and then it showed that the gnaric drivers were not working
> to display gdm or anything but the CLI and said something
> about the VGA and screen going agenst each other (i dont
> remember how it was put)
>
>   i am attaching .xsession-error
>
>   also i did try to install the latist daily build of
> natty but the
>   instillation failed after the kernel so i can be of
> much help till i
>   re-install a previous build
>
>   ----edit:
>   for some more info im useing a HP Pavilion dv6605us
> with a nvidia GeForce 7150M /nForce 630M built-in graphics
> the max screen resolution is 1280x800 for the screen which
> is a 15"
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/711409/+subscribe
>

kelargo (kelong-2000) wrote :

not yet.. havent had time.. hopefully by tomorrow.

Kenneth Long

--- On Wed, 2/16/11, Felix Yan <email address hidden> wrote:

> From: Felix Yan <email address hidden>
> Subject: [Bug 711409] Re: -nvidia broken after Jan 31st updates, because it does not yet support xserver 1.10
> To: <email address hidden>
> Date: Wednesday, February 16, 2011, 8:43 AM
> The ABI error could be ignored
> using:
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>         Option
>             "ignoreABI" "on"
> EndSection
>
> in xorg.conf, have you tried it yet?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct
> subscriber
> of a duplicate bug (712852).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/711409
>
> Title:
>   -nvidia broken after Jan 31st updates, because it
> does not yet support
>   xserver 1.10
>
> Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers” package in Ubuntu:
>   Triaged
> Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers” source package in
> Natty:
>   Triaged
>
> Bug description:
>   [Problem]
>   NVIDIA does not provide xserver 1.10 support in
> their driver yet.
>   Thus, its drivers do not work with Ubuntu starting
> on Jan 31st, when it moved to xserver 1.9.99.
>   See https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-x/2011-February/001050.html
>
>   [Original Report]
>   in natty the latest update i did dealing with xorg
> broke my nvidia driver and then had it were all i could get
> to in my system was the CLI...i had to create a .Xauthority
> and then it showed that the gnaric drivers were not working
> to display gdm or anything but the CLI and said something
> about the VGA and screen going agenst each other (i dont
> remember how it was put)
>
>   i am attaching .xsession-error
>
>   also i did try to install the latist daily build of
> natty but the
>   instillation failed after the kernel so i can be of
> much help till i
>   re-install a previous build
>
>   ----edit:
>   for some more info im useing a HP Pavilion dv6605us
> with a nvidia GeForce 7150M /nForce 630M built-in graphics
> the max screen resolution is 1280x800 for the screen which
> is a 15"
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/711409/+subscribe
>

the change log for 270.26 is at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2392215 which doesnt show that theres added xserver 1.10 support so thats probably still preliminary

Bryce Harrington (bryce) on 2011-02-18
summary: - -nvidia broken after Jan 31st updates, because it does not yet support
- xserver 1.10
+ [MASTER] -nvidia broken after Jan 31st updates, because it does not yet
+ support xserver 1.10
Claudio (clamiax) wrote :

Sorry, I inadvertly changed the status of the bug report. Though, I'm not able to set it to "triaged" anymore.

Sorry for then noise!

Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu Natty):
status: Triaged → In Progress
status: In Progress → Confirmed
Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu Natty):
status: Confirmed → Triaged
Josh Leverette (coder543) wrote :

I really miss my hardware acceleration.... perhaps an update shall come soon.

Mathieu Comandon (strycore) wrote :

I'll test the driver upgrade this evening and confirm it works.
If it does, can we expect an official fix for alpha-3 instead of beta-1 ?

zeruke (oninekoze) wrote :

im about to try 270.29 also heres the change log http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2396539 which all it shows is it has official support for xserver 1.10

also it seems its already been added to nvidia-graphics-drivers package https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers

Jacob Peddicord (jpeddicord) wrote :

Confirmed, 270.29 boots with xserver 1.10.

zeruke (oninekoze) wrote :

marking as fix released because the 270.29 driver works with xserver 1.10 and the driver is already set up in the nvidia-graphics-drivers both the i386 and amd64 builds set up for the restricted additional drivers

Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu Natty):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) wrote :

Marking as 'Fix Released' might be a bit premature:

1. the current 270.29 works only with xserver 1.10.rc2 and will (because of an ABI change) not work with xserver 1.10.rc3 ( see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=159990#post2396832 )

2. the recently published 270.29 driver will provide xserver 1.10 compatibility only for newer nvidia hardware. It will not work with legacy cards needing the -96 or -173 drivers.

It is still necessary to wait for nvidia to provide new drivers compatible with the final xserver release for all their hardware.

Mathieu Comandon (strycore) wrote :

@ubuntu-x-swat : please don't push Xserver 1.10RC3 into natty before nvidia ships an updated driver.
Using the xorg edgers PPA seems amore appropriate solution when it is known beforehand that some code will break for a lot of users.

Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) wrote :

Nvidia has published a new driver version 270.30 beta that is claimed to be compatible with xserver 1.10 (not rc2)
see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=160209

Paul Hummer (rockstar) wrote :

How is this Fix Released? These drivers aren't packaged in Ubuntu, and even when installing them, they still don't match ABIs (and yes, I was sure to get the right driver for the supported cards according to all these instructions).

The fix isn't released unless I can install the driver with `apt-get install`.

Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu Natty):
status: Fix Released → Triaged
Mathieu Marquer (slasher-fun) wrote :

nvidia-current : 270.30-0ubuntu3 in natty/restricted, matches the current ABI. Reverting to "Fix Released".

Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu Natty):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Manfred Hampl (m-hampl) wrote :

Nvidia published a new version 270.41.03
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2417099

John Cottier (j-cottier) wrote :

I have installed the latest updates still don't see any difference on my nvidia geforce 7300. It just produces and unresponsive desktop. Its been this way since alpha3.

Bill Wheatley (bwheatley) wrote :

yea even with the latest updates i'm also still DOA for gdm. I can run kdm fine but gdm just boots to a desktop screen.

zeruke (oninekoze) wrote :

if your able to boot in(get to log in screen with the nvidia driver enabled) than its not dealing with this bug report which has been closed for a while...... also eveything dealing with the driver for me is working good and im useing the nvidia-current which is versioned at 270.41.03-ubuntu1

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers