HDMI reports resolution mismatch on changing users

Bug #1090111 reported by teledyn on 2012-12-13
8
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

I may need some help gathering necessary information for this as I am not sure what component will be affected, I'm only guessing it is nvidia as that is the video module loaded.

symptom: on changing users, only sometimes, the HDMI connected screen goes blank and the monitor hardware reports a resolution mismatch. Restarting X does not fix the problem, the only solution I've found is a hardware reboot. The monitor itself only has one resolution so it cannot be adjusted.

this is a new problem, only since upgrading to 11.10 and persists in 12.04.1

xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
 Identifier "Monitor0"
 VendorName "Unknown"
 ModelName "FNI LCD TV"
 HorizSync 15.0 - 49.0
 VertRefresh 57.0 - 63.0
 Option "DPMS"
 # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
EndSection

Section "Screen"
 Identifier "Screen0"
 Device "Device0"
 Monitor "Monitor0"
 DefaultDepth 24
 Option "TwinView" "0"
 Option "metamodes" "1280x768 +0+0"
 SubSection "Display"
  Depth 24
 EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
 Identifier "Layout0"
 Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used and auto-detects devices
# Keyboard settings are now read from /etc/default/console-setup
# InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used and auto-detects devices
# Keyboard settings are now read from /etc/default/console-setup
# InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
 Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
 Identifier "Device0"
 Driver "nvidia"
 VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
 BoardName "GeForce GT 220"
 Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Xorg.0.log report:

everything looks normal booting up

[ 46.951] (**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
[ 46.951] (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
[ 46.951] (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[ 46.951] (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
[ 46.951] (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "NoLogo" "True"
[ 46.951] (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TwinView" "0"
[ 46.951] (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "MetaModes" "1280x768 +0+0"
[ 46.951] (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 2D acceleration
[ 48.517] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (FNI LCD TV (DFP-0)) does not support N
VIDIA 3D Vision
[ 48.517] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): stereo.
[ 48.519] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce GT 220 (GT216) at PCI:2:0:0 (GPU
-0)
[ 48.519] (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 1048576 kBytes
[ 48.519] (--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 70.16.28.00.00
[ 48.519] (II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X
[ 48.519] (--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
[ 48.521] (--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce GT 220 at PC
I:2:0:0
[ 48.521] (--) NVIDIA(0): FNI LCD TV (DFP-0)
[ 48.521] (--) NVIDIA(0): FNI LCD TV (DFP-0): 330.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[ 48.521] (--) NVIDIA(0): FNI LCD TV (DFP-0): Internal Dual Link TMDS
[ 48.556] (**) NVIDIA(0): Using HorizSync/VertRefresh ranges from the EDID fo
r display
[ 48.556] (**) NVIDIA(0): device FNI LCD TV (DFP-0) (Using EDID frequenci
es has been
[ 48.556] (**) NVIDIA(0): enabled on all display devices.)
[ 48.617] (II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: DFP-0
[ 48.617] (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
[ 48.617] (II) NVIDIA(0): "1280x768+0+0"
[ 48.617] (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1280 x 768
[ 48.654] (WW) NVIDIA(0): FNI LCD TV (DFP-0)'s EDID does not contain a maximu
m image
[ 48.654] (WW) NVIDIA(0): size; cannot compute DPI from FNI LCD TV (DFP-0
)'s EDID.
[ 48.654] (==) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (75, 75); computed from built-in default
[ 48.654] (--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
[ 48.654] (II) NVIDIA: Using 768.00 MB of virtual memory for indirect memory
access.
[ 48.661] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1280x768+0+0"

the log ends with

[ 75437.139] (II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
[ 75440.267] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1280x768+0+0"
[ 75442.267] (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): WAIT: (E, 0, 0x857d)

which is the same resolution

let me know if there are further tests or logs that might be useful

madbiologist (me-again) on 2013-01-05
description: updated
tags: added: oneiric precise
madbiologist (me-again) wrote :

Does this still occur on Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal"?

Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
Download full text (5.4 KiB)

I will upgrade today and let you know; the machine is the primary
workstation for several people so it isn't aways convenient to test-- it
may take a few days to know for certain

--
sent from the enTourage eDGe
On Jan 5, 2013 3:15 AM, "madbiologist" <email address hidden> wrote:

> Does this still occur on Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal"?
>
> ** Changed in: nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1090111
>
> Title:
> HDMI reports resolution mismatch on changing users
>
> Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers” package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> I may need some help gathering necessary information for this as I am
> not sure what component will be affected, I'm only guessing it is
> nvidia as that is the video module loaded.
>
> symptom: on changing users, only sometimes, the HDMI connected screen
> goes blank and the monitor hardware reports a resolution mismatch.
> Restarting X does not fix the problem, the only solution I've found is
> a hardware reboot. The monitor itself only has one resolution so it
> cannot be adjusted.
>
> this is a new problem, only since upgrading to 11.10 and persists in
> 12.04.1
>
> xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Monitor0"
> VendorName "Unknown"
> ModelName "FNI LCD TV"
> HorizSync 15.0 - 49.0
> VertRefresh 57.0 - 63.0
> Option "DPMS"
> # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Screen0"
> Device "Device0"
> Monitor "Monitor0"
> DefaultDepth 24
> Option "TwinView" "0"
> Option "metamodes" "1280x768 +0+0"
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 24
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier "Layout0"
> Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
> # commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used and auto-detects
> devices
> # Keyboard settings are now read from /etc/default/console-setup
> # InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> # commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used and auto-detects
> devices
> # Keyboard settings are now read from /etc/default/console-setup
> # InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> Option "Xinerama" "0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Device0"
> Driver "nvidia"
> VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
> BoardName "GeForce GT 220"
> Option "NoLogo" "True"
> EndSection
>
> Xorg.0.log report:
>
> everything looks normal booting up
>
> [ 46.951] (**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
> [ 46.951] (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
> [ 46.951] (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
> [ 46.951] (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
> [ 46.951] (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "NoLogo" "True"
> [ 46.951] (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TwinView" "0"
> [ 46.951] (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "MetaModes" "1280x768 +0+0"
> [ 46.951] ...

Read more...

teledyn (garym-teledyn) wrote :
Download full text (6.6 KiB)

well THAT was disasterous: having nvidia drivers, it is poison to upgrade!
:(

The system is now largely unusable: I've had to remove all the fglrx
drivers because they cause unity and other apps to crash (there appears to
be no open-GL support anymore) and now, rebooting into the open source
drivers, the desktop image on the HDMI monitor is considerably larger than
the screen, so the menus and status bar are now beyond the view, regardless
of the resolution! -- the many fglrx bug reports suggest this issue won't
be solvable any time soon

my 7 year old son looked at it and said, "Welcome to 2013!" :(

just in case my report didn't include this before, I am running
NVIDIA Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2) which worked quite well
in 11.04

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Gary Lawrence Murphy <email address hidden>wrote:

> I will upgrade today and let you know; the machine is the primary
> workstation for several people so it isn't aways convenient to test-- it
> may take a few days to know for certain
>
> --
> sent from the enTourage eDGe
> On Jan 5, 2013 3:15 AM, "madbiologist" <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>> Does this still occur on Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal"?
>>
>> ** Changed in: nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)
>> Status: New => Incomplete
>>
>> --
>> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
>> report.
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1090111
>>
>> Title:
>> HDMI reports resolution mismatch on changing users
>>
>> Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers” package in Ubuntu:
>> Incomplete
>>
>> Bug description:
>> I may need some help gathering necessary information for this as I am
>> not sure what component will be affected, I'm only guessing it is
>> nvidia as that is the video module loaded.
>>
>> symptom: on changing users, only sometimes, the HDMI connected screen
>> goes blank and the monitor hardware reports a resolution mismatch.
>> Restarting X does not fix the problem, the only solution I've found is
>> a hardware reboot. The monitor itself only has one resolution so it
>> cannot be adjusted.
>>
>> this is a new problem, only since upgrading to 11.10 and persists in
>> 12.04.1
>>
>> xorg.conf:
>>
>> Section "Monitor"
>> Identifier "Monitor0"
>> VendorName "Unknown"
>> ModelName "FNI LCD TV"
>> HorizSync 15.0 - 49.0
>> VertRefresh 57.0 - 63.0
>> Option "DPMS"
>> # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>> Identifier "Screen0"
>> Device "Device0"
>> Monitor "Monitor0"
>> DefaultDepth 24
>> Option "TwinView" "0"
>> Option "metamodes" "1280x768 +0+0"
>> SubSection "Display"
>> Depth 24
>> EndSubSection
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "ServerLayout"
>> Identifier "Layout0"
>> Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
>> # commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used and auto-detects
>> devices
>> # Keyboard settings are now read from /etc/default/console-setup
>> # InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>> # commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used and au...

Read more...

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers