nvidia-96 96.43.14-0ubuntu11 failed to upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04: Error! Application of patch fall_back_on_mtrr_if_no_pat.patch failed.

Bug #544781 reported by Stephen Johnson on 2010-03-23
290
This bug affects 61 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
nvidia-graphics-drivers-96 (Ubuntu)
High
Alberto Milone

Bug Description

Dependency problems?

ProblemType: Package
Architecture: i386
Date: Mon Mar 22 22:57:17 2010
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
DkmsStatus: nvidia-96, 96.43.14: added
ErrorMessage:
 ErrorMessage: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 6
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
Package: nvidia-96 96.43.14-0ubuntu11
ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-20-generic root=UUID=2dd3eda7-bb66-4b6f-8cb0-ee3145d14bbb ro quiet splash
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.31-20.58-generic
SourcePackage: nvidia-graphics-drivers-96
Title: package nvidia-96 96.43.14-0ubuntu11 failed to install/upgrade:
Uname: Linux 2.6.31-20-generic i686
Xrandr:
 Error: command ['xrandr', '--verbose'] failed with exit code 1: Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
 RandR extension missing
dmi.bios.date: 08/25/2005
dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
dmi.bios.version: 6.00 PG
dmi.board.name: MS-7030
dmi.chassis.type: 3
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnPhoenixTechnologies,LTD:bvr6.00PG:bd08/25/2005:svn:pn:pvr:rvn:rnMS-7030:rvr:cvn:ct3:cvr:
system:
 distro: Ubuntu
 codename: lucid
 architecture: i686
 kernel: 2.6.31-20-generic

Jean-Baptiste Lallement (jibel) wrote :

Thanks for your report.

The relevant error is
---
Setting up nvidia-96 (96.43.14-0ubuntu11) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-96/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/GL.conf (gl_conf) in auto mode.
 (testparm) in auto mode.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/share/man/man1/nvidia-smi.1.gz because associated file /usr/share/man/man1/alt-nvidia-96-smi.1.gz (of link group gl_conf) doesn't exist.
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/bin/nvidia-smi because associated file /usr/lib/nvidia-96/bin/nvidia-smi (of link group gl_conf) doesn't exist.
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-20-generic
Loading new nvidia-96-96.43.14 DKMS files...
First Installation: checking all kernels...
Building for 2.6.31-20-generic and 2.6.32-16-generic
Building for architecture i686
Building initial module for 2.6.31-20-generic
Error! Application of patch fall_back_on_mtrr_if_no_pat.patch failed.
Check /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-96/96.43.14/build/ for more information.
dpkg: error processing nvidia-96 (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 6

Could you please attach the file make.log in /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-96/96.43.14/build/ to this report ?
Thanks.

summary: - package nvidia-96 96.43.14-0ubuntu11 failed to install/upgrade:
+ nvidia-96 96.43.14-0ubuntu11 failed to upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04:
+ Error! Application of patch fall_back_on_mtrr_if_no_pat.patch failed.
Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers-96 (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → Incomplete
Bryce Harrington (bryce) on 2010-03-23
tags: added: karmic

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

I looked in /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-96/96.43.14/build/ and there is no file
called make.log

Please see attached listing of that directory.

Stephen

On 03/23/2010 05:25 AM, Jean-Baptiste Lallement wrote:
> Thanks for your report.
>
> The relevant error is
> ---
> Setting up nvidia-96 (96.43.14-0ubuntu11) ...
> update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-96/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/GL.conf (gl_conf) in auto mode.
> (testparm) in auto mode.
> update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/share/man/man1/nvidia-smi.1.gz because associated file /usr/share/man/man1/alt-nvidia-96-smi.1.gz (of link group gl_conf) doesn't exist.
> update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/bin/nvidia-smi because associated file /usr/lib/nvidia-96/bin/nvidia-smi (of link group gl_conf) doesn't exist.
> update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-20-generic
> Loading new nvidia-96-96.43.14 DKMS files...
> First Installation: checking all kernels...
> Building for 2.6.31-20-generic and 2.6.32-16-generic
> Building for architecture i686
> Building initial module for 2.6.31-20-generic
> Error! Application of patch fall_back_on_mtrr_if_no_pat.patch failed.
> Check /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-96/96.43.14/build/ for more information.
> dpkg: error processing nvidia-96 (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 6
>
> Could you please attach the file make.log in /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-96/96.43.14/build/ to this report ?
> Thanks.
>
> ** Summary changed:
>
> - package nvidia-96 96.43.14-0ubuntu11 failed to install/upgrade:
> + nvidia-96 96.43.14-0ubuntu11 failed to upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04: Error! Application of patch fall_back_on_mtrr_if_no_pat.patch failed.
>
> ** Changed in: nvidia-graphics-drivers-96 (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided => High
>
> ** Changed in: nvidia-graphics-drivers-96 (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>

--
Stephen Johnson
http://www.sanaterre.com

Jean-Baptiste Lallement (jibel) wrote :

could you please attach the file nv.c.rej
Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Lallement wrote:
> could you please attach the file nv.c.rej
> Thanks.
>

Will do. I am at work now and the machine is not on so I can't ssh in to
get the file. I will send it after work.

S.

--
Stephen Johnson
<email address hidden>
http://sanaterre.com

"Thou shalt have a place also without the camp, where thou shalt go
forth abroad: And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon: and it shall
be when thou shalt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and
thou shalt turn back, and cover that which cometh from you." -
Deuteronomy 23:12-13

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

This is a bit embarrassing - I tried to enable screen effects from the
system menu and let it install the nvidia driver but it didn't work
properly with my dual monitor setup so I allowed it to remove the
driver, thinking it would go back to the perfectly functional state it
had been in.

To cut a long story short, there is no longer a nv.c.rej to send and
furthermore the screens (both of them) will not proceed past the ubuntu
logo on booting. They show that a disk check is required but pressing C
to skip makes no difference.

I can still ssh in from my laptop (which is how I know the file (and
indeed the whole ../nvidia-96... directory) is absent so it looks like
the kernel is running fine - it is just X that is screwed up.

I think something similar happened when I upgraded to 9.10 and I ended
up doing a fresh install from a CD (my home partition is a separate disk
so that isn't a problem.

Sorry - that isn't much help to you in addressing the original problem

S.

Jean-Baptiste Lallement wrote:
> could you please attach the file nv.c.rej
> Thanks.
>

--
Stephen Johnson
http://www.sanaterre.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/stephenjjohnson

Hi Stephen.

I just wanted to tell you that in my case I had more luck.
I managed with difficulty to uninstall the drivers N-Vidia. Now I use
the generic drivers, but it lost 3D acceleration (as you know ...) and
all effects of Ubuntu ...

On Karmic could make maximum use of the graphics card ...
I must resign myself to the idea? Karmic Or should I install?

Il 24/03/2010 03:46, Stephen Johnson ha scritto:
> Hi Jean-Baptiste,
>
> This is a bit embarrassing - I tried to enable screen effects from the
> system menu and let it install the nvidia driver but it didn't work
> properly with my dual monitor setup so I allowed it to remove the
> driver, thinking it would go back to the perfectly functional state it
> had been in.
>
> To cut a long story short, there is no longer a nv.c.rej to send and
> furthermore the screens (both of them) will not proceed past the ubuntu
> logo on booting. They show that a disk check is required but pressing C
> to skip makes no difference.
>
> I can still ssh in from my laptop (which is how I know the file (and
> indeed the whole ../nvidia-96... directory) is absent so it looks like
> the kernel is running fine - it is just X that is screwed up.
>
> I think something similar happened when I upgraded to 9.10 and I ended
> up doing a fresh install from a CD (my home partition is a separate disk
> so that isn't a problem.
>
> Sorry - that isn't much help to you in addressing the original problem
>
> S.
>
> Jean-Baptiste Lallement wrote:
>
>> could you please attach the file nv.c.rej
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>
>

--
Fuoco di Vesta che fuor dal Tempio irrompe...Con ali e fiamme la Giovinezza va!...Fiaccole ardenti sull'Are e sulle Tombe, noi siamo le speranze della Nuova età...

novakov (stoyan-novakov) wrote :

I've just reported a duplicate error after upgrading to Lucid. After restarting the system a message popped asking me to chose among couple of options to boot (start in low-graphic mode, restart x, reconfigure, etc...). I picked "start in low-graph mode" and when the os was loaded the same error occurred in the upper right angle in the tray. When I clicked it, it was about to report the error again, so I interrupted it. Then I started system-appearance-visual effects and chose "extra". Then as again the driver was downloaded and installed. After restart all was working fine and the Nvidia driver was installed and fully available.

wrekced (wrekced) wrote :

Here is nv.c.rej from my system
Hope that helps!

That's great finally we have one. Many thanks.
setting status to triaged.

Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers-96 (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Triaged
Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers-96 (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Alberto Milone (albertomilone)
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package nvidia-graphics-drivers-96 - 96.43.14-0ubuntu13

---------------
nvidia-graphics-drivers-96 (96.43.14-0ubuntu13) lucid; urgency=low

  * debian/dkms.conf.in:
    - Comment out any reference to the following patches as they
      break dist-upgrades (LP: #544781):
      fall_back_on_mtrr_if_no_pat.patch, nvidia-rt-compat-legacy.patch,
      rt_preempt_31.patch.
 -- Alberto Milone <email address hidden> Sun, 11 Apr 2010 17:03:16 +0200

Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers-96 (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Released

> Congratulations to Alberto Milone.
> After his work as drivers fixes on 9.10.
> Really thanks for your efforts and achievements.
> I am a "penguin" gloating ...

Il 11/04/2010 17:15, Launchpad Bug Tracker ha scritto:
> This bug was fixed in the package nvidia-graphics-drivers-96 -
> 96.43.14-0ubuntu13
>
> ---------------
> nvidia-graphics-drivers-96 (96.43.14-0ubuntu13) lucid; urgency=low
>
> * debian/dkms.conf.in:
> - Comment out any reference to the following patches as they
> break dist-upgrades (LP: #544781):
> fall_back_on_mtrr_if_no_pat.patch, nvidia-rt-compat-legacy.patch,
> rt_preempt_31.patch.
> -- Alberto Milone<email address hidden> Sun, 11 Apr 2010 17:03:16 +0200
>
> ** Changed in: nvidia-graphics-drivers-96 (Ubuntu)
> Status: Triaged => Fix Released
>
>

--
Fuoco di Vesta che fuor dal Tempio irrompe...Con ali e fiamme la Giovinezza va!...Fiaccole Ardenti sull'Are e sulle Tombe noi siamo le speranze della Nuova età.

My salutations to Alberto Milone!
Package nvidia-graphics-drivers-96 (96.43.14-0ubuntu13) sorted my laptop.
I updated Xorg and some more packages through Synaptics so first restart stopped at new fuzzy Ubuntu screen with the 5 dots (could be something with the new .20 kernel did not exist for amd64. Second restart, computer starts fine but Xorg server hogs 75-80% of processor. Third restart and all settles down nicely.
Now on to a few more annoyances.
//Stefan (newbie hoping to one day learn)

I can't find the package...Is it in Synaptic or what?

To post a comment you must log in.