artful-proposed 4.13.0-24: kernel module failed to build [Cannot generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel]

Bug #1741914 reported by Videonauth on 2018-01-08
258
This bug affects 37 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
bbswitch (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
bcmwl (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
linux (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned
ndiswrapper (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
nvidia-graphics-drivers-304 (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
nvidia-graphics-drivers-384 (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
rtl8812au (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
virtualbox (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

After update to new kernel (4.13.0-24) the system prompted me with this.

ProblemType: Package
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 17.10
Package: nvidia-384 384.90-0ubuntu3.17.10.2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-22.25-generic 4.13.13
Uname: Linux 4.13.0-22-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.7
Architecture: amd64
DKMSKernelVersion: 4.13.0-24-generic
Date: Mon Jan 8 16:30:09 2018
PackageVersion: 384.90-0ubuntu3.17.10.2
Python3Details: /usr/bin/python3.6, Python 3.6.3, python3-minimal, 3.6.3-0ubuntu2
PythonDetails: /usr/bin/python2.7, Python 2.7.14, python-minimal, 2.7.14-2ubuntu1
RelatedPackageVersions:
 dpkg 1.18.24ubuntu1
 apt 1.5.1
SourcePackage: nvidia-graphics-drivers-384
Title: nvidia-384 384.90-0ubuntu3.17.10.2: nvidia-384 kernel module failed to build
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)

CVE References

Videonauth (videonauth) wrote :
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers-384 (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
summary: nvidia-384 384.90-0ubuntu3.17.10.2: nvidia-384 kernel module failed to
- build
+ build [Cannot generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please
+ install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel]
Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers-304 (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
summary: - nvidia-384 384.90-0ubuntu3.17.10.2: nvidia-384 kernel module failed to
- build [Cannot generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please
- install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel]
+ kernel module failed to build [Cannot generate ORC metadata for
+ CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or
+ elfutils-libelf-devel]
Changed in bbswitch (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in ndiswrapper (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in dkms (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
affects: dkms → dkms (Ubuntu)
Changed in virtualbox (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
tags: added: regression-proposed
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
affects: dkms (Ubuntu) → linux (Ubuntu)
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in bcmwl (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
summary: - kernel module failed to build [Cannot generate ORC metadata for
- CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or
- elfutils-libelf-devel]
+ artful-proposed 4.13.0-24: kernel module failed to build [Cannot
+ generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please install libelf-
+ dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel]
Jacques Koch (jacques22) on 2018-01-09
Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers-384 (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers-384 (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Released → Confirmed
Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

It looks like this bug is now fixed as of 1 hour ago, in linux 4.13.0-25.29. You had to be unlucky to have an artful system on proposed do an update during the previous day and get the faulty package linux 4.13.0-24. That one doesn't exist any more so this bug should quieten down now.

See bug 1741955 for updates.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed

Thanks will definitely go and take a look. Only been on Linux about a month
or so and really loving it ,but still finding my feet

On 9 Jan 2018 12:50, "Daniel van Vugt" <email address hidden>
wrote:

> It looks like this bug is now fixed as of 1 hour ago, in linux
> 4.13.0-25.29. You had to be unlucky to have an artful system on proposed
> do an update during the previous day and get the faulty package linux
> 4.13.0-24. That one doesn't exist any more so this bug should quieten
> down now.
>
> See bug 1741955 for updates.
>
> ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
> Status: Confirmed => Fix Committed
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1742014).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1741914
>
> Title:
> artful-proposed 4.13.0-24: kernel module failed to build [Cannot
> generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please install
> libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel]
>
> Status in bbswitch package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in bcmwl package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Committed
> Status in ndiswrapper package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-304 package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-384 package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in virtualbox package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> After update to new kernel (4.13.0-24) the system prompted me with
> this.
>
> ProblemType: Package
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 17.10
> Package: nvidia-384 384.90-0ubuntu3.17.10.2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-22.25-generic 4.13.13
> Uname: Linux 4.13.0-22-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
> ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.7
> Architecture: amd64
> DKMSKernelVersion: 4.13.0-24-generic
> Date: Mon Jan 8 16:30:09 2018
> PackageVersion: 384.90-0ubuntu3.17.10.2
> Python3Details: /usr/bin/python3.6, Python 3.6.3, python3-minimal,
> 3.6.3-0ubuntu2
> PythonDetails: /usr/bin/python2.7, Python 2.7.14, python-minimal,
> 2.7.14-2ubuntu1
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> dpkg 1.18.24ubuntu1
> apt 1.5.1
> SourcePackage: nvidia-graphics-drivers-384
> Title: nvidia-384 384.90-0ubuntu3.17.10.2: nvidia-384 kernel module
> failed to build
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bbswitch/+bug/
> 1741914/+subscriptions
>

Videonauth (videonauth) wrote :

Yes, sadly now the NVidia Driver 384.90 (I still wonder where you get the 384.111 on artful) fails still to build even after the released fix. But this time with a different message and build log. And without showing me an opportunity to report the bug (except using ubuntu-bug command which will maybe not fetch all information).

Videonauth (videonauth) wrote :

Here a link to the new regression. not sure if this belongs here or not so i submitted it singlestanding: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-384/+bug/1742160

James Campbell (gozerhozer) wrote :
Download full text (4.9 KiB)

Right after reporting this and 3 other bugs all at the same time, I
rebooted and it got cought in a loop right before the login and I had to
reinstall.
Thank you for working on these issues, your way ahead of me.
James

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 5:17 AM, Jacques Koch <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Thanks will definitely go and take a look. Only been on Linux about a month
> or so and really loving it ,but still finding my feet
>
> On 9 Jan 2018 12:50, "Daniel van Vugt" <email address hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > It looks like this bug is now fixed as of 1 hour ago, in linux
> > 4.13.0-25.29. You had to be unlucky to have an artful system on proposed
> > do an update during the previous day and get the faulty package linux
> > 4.13.0-24. That one doesn't exist any more so this bug should quieten
> > down now.
> >
> > See bug 1741955 for updates.
> >
> > ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
> > Status: Confirmed => Fix Committed
> >
> > --
> > You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> > duplicate bug report (1742014).
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1741914
> >
> > Title:
> > artful-proposed 4.13.0-24: kernel module failed to build [Cannot
> > generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please install
> > libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel]
> >
> > Status in bbswitch package in Ubuntu:
> > Confirmed
> > Status in bcmwl package in Ubuntu:
> > Confirmed
> > Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
> > Fix Committed
> > Status in ndiswrapper package in Ubuntu:
> > Confirmed
> > Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-304 package in Ubuntu:
> > Confirmed
> > Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 package in Ubuntu:
> > Confirmed
> > Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-384 package in Ubuntu:
> > Confirmed
> > Status in virtualbox package in Ubuntu:
> > Confirmed
> >
> > Bug description:
> > After update to new kernel (4.13.0-24) the system prompted me with
> > this.
> >
> > ProblemType: Package
> > DistroRelease: Ubuntu 17.10
> > Package: nvidia-384 384.90-0ubuntu3.17.10.2
> > ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-22.25-generic 4.13.13
> > Uname: Linux 4.13.0-22-generic x86_64
> > NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
> > ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.7
> > Architecture: amd64
> > DKMSKernelVersion: 4.13.0-24-generic
> > Date: Mon Jan 8 16:30:09 2018
> > PackageVersion: 384.90-0ubuntu3.17.10.2
> > Python3Details: /usr/bin/python3.6, Python 3.6.3, python3-minimal,
> > 3.6.3-0ubuntu2
> > PythonDetails: /usr/bin/python2.7, Python 2.7.14, python-minimal,
> > 2.7.14-2ubuntu1
> > RelatedPackageVersions:
> > dpkg 1.18.24ubuntu1
> > apt 1.5.1
> > SourcePackage: nvidia-graphics-drivers-384
> > Title: nvidia-384 384.90-0ubuntu3.17.10.2: nvidia-384 kernel module
> > failed to build
> > UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> >
> > To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bbswitch/+bug/
> > 1741914/+subscriptions
> >
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1742039).
> https://bugs.launchpa...

Read more...

James Campbell (gozerhozer) wrote :

Right after reporting this and 3 other bugs all at the same time, I
rebooted and it got cought in a loop right before the login and I had to
reinstall.
Thank you for working on these issues, your way ahead of me.
James

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 7:27 AM, Videonauth <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Yes, sadly now the NVidia Driver 384.90 (I still wonder where you get
> the 384.111 on artful) fails still to build even after the released fix.
> But this time with a different message and build log. And without
> showing me an opportunity to report the bug (except using ubuntu-bug
> command which will maybe not fetch all information).
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1742039).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1741914
>
> Title:
> artful-proposed 4.13.0-24: kernel module failed to build [Cannot
> generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please install
> libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel]
>
> Status in bbswitch package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in bcmwl package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Committed
> Status in ndiswrapper package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-304 package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-384 package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in virtualbox package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> After update to new kernel (4.13.0-24) the system prompted me with
> this.
>
> ProblemType: Package
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 17.10
> Package: nvidia-384 384.90-0ubuntu3.17.10.2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.13.0-22.25-generic 4.13.13
> Uname: Linux 4.13.0-22-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
> ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.7
> Architecture: amd64
> DKMSKernelVersion: 4.13.0-24-generic
> Date: Mon Jan 8 16:30:09 2018
> PackageVersion: 384.90-0ubuntu3.17.10.2
> Python3Details: /usr/bin/python3.6, Python 3.6.3, python3-minimal,
> 3.6.3-0ubuntu2
> PythonDetails: /usr/bin/python2.7, Python 2.7.14, python-minimal,
> 2.7.14-2ubuntu1
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> dpkg 1.18.24ubuntu1
> apt 1.5.1
> SourcePackage: nvidia-graphics-drivers-384
> Title: nvidia-384 384.90-0ubuntu3.17.10.2: nvidia-384 kernel module
> failed to build
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bbswitch/+bug/
> 1741914/+subscriptions
>

Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt) wrote :

linux (4.13.0-25.29) artful; urgency=low

  * linux: 4.13.0-25.29 -proposed tracker (LP: #1741955)

  * CVE-2017-5754
    - Revert "UBUNTU: [Config] updateconfigs to enable PTI"
    - [Config] Enable PTI with UNWINDER_FRAME_POINTER

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Changed in bbswitch (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Changed in bcmwl (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Changed in ndiswrapper (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers-304 (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Changed in nvidia-graphics-drivers-384 (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Changed in virtualbox (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
Changed in rtl8812au (Ubuntu):
status: New → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.