Zanata is messing up the translations

Bug #1824998 reported by Rodrigo Lledó on 2019-04-16
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
NetworkManager
Fix Released
Unknown
network-manager (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

Hi

Today is actually impossible to keep NM translations in good shape since Zanata (a tool used in Fedora and Red Hat) is messing up the translations.

Example:

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/disco/+source/network-manager/+pots/networkmanager/es/870/+translate

Which literally means:
One of the functions of the swimming boat (3) is a function of the boat's control unit.

Or translating "master" as "dominate"

This is hilarous but also frustrating.

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Thank you for your bug report, is the string in the upstream tarball? Could you explain what is happening exactly, is upstream important from fedora with those errors? Does upstream know about the issue?

Rodrigo Lledó (rodhos-hp) wrote :

Yes, the string is upstream.
Yes, upstream was importing errors from Red Hat translators. I think is related with the Copy Trans feaure of Zanata.
I reported this issue upstream a few minutes after reporting in Launchpad and here is his reply:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/issues/160

I also contacted one of the developers of Zanata: Sachin Pathare.

https://github.com/orgs/zanata/people

Summary:

"NetworkManager upstream does not use Zanata.
We had a project at zanata.org [1], but that had severe issues, so we are back to po-files and git."

"Red Hat uses Zanata internally, but afterwards they get manualy import the plain "po" file in git. Whatever Red Hat translators do, what matters is only what we import.
The only upstream location for translations is git (and that's also the place to contribute translations)."

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

It's an upstream issue, those strings are buggy in git as well, I commented back on gitlab

Changed in network-manager (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
status: New → Triaged
Rodrigo Lledó (rodhos-hp) wrote :

I saw your comment :)
I sent a merge request upstream and was approved.
Hopefully I don't have to fix hundreds of Zanata strings again.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/merge_requests/116

Rodrigo Lledó (rodhos-hp) wrote :

Note this is fixing only the conflicting strings and not the pull from Red Hat translators.

Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote :

Thanks, not that you can also uploadf the .po to launchpad if you want to update the strings there (if you are part of the spanish translators team on launchpad)

Rodrigo Lledó (rodhos-hp) wrote :

Yes I am. But I translated master and Ubuntu is using branch 1.16

I there an easy way to do this?

I can always download the PO, use the translation memory from Gtranslator and upload the PO again but I have to go over 2000 strings again as I did with master branch.

Changed in network-manager:
status: Unknown → Fix Released
Rodrigo Lledó (rodhos-hp) wrote :

Okay done...

Rodrigo Lledó (rodhos-hp) wrote :

I consider this problem solved as the problem was notified to Lubomir Rintel. He said he will be more careful in the future.

Changed in network-manager (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Committed
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.