Mobile broadband SIM doesn't work but does on same machine booted into Windows

Bug #1806407 reported by Rob Davis on 2018-12-03
10
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
network-manager (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

I am trying to use a mobile broadband sim with my TabletPC running Ubuntu 18.04, but it doesn't work, I get: "Connection Failed: Activation of network connection failed" when trying to connect with it. HOWEVER, if I boot this same TabletPC into Windows 10, the sim works fine. So it is not a problem with the SIM nor a problem the TabletPC hardware. It is a problem with Ubuntu.

Can I ask what testing/Quality Assurance (QA) you did on Ubuntu for mobile broadband and where your testing records are kept?

Further details here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1079689/mobile-broadband-sim-doesnt-work-with-ubuntu-18-04-but-does-work-in-same-device

"I have a Panasonic FZ-G1 MkIII Toughpad touchscreen tablet PC which is based on an x86-64bit Intel® Core™ i5-5300U CPU @ 2.30GHz, with 4Gb RAM.

This is dual-booted with Windows 10 Pro 64bit (build 1803) and Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS 64bit.

The mobile sim is a standard giffgaff sim which works fine in Windows on this machine - it is recognised and internet access via it works, detected as LTE (4G). So this proves that the sim is working correctly with the WLAN modem hardware in this tablet.

However, when the same tablet is booted into Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS 64bit, the same sim that worked in the Windows partition, does not work in Ubuntu. Error message: "Connection Failed: Activation of network connection failed" pops up when attempting connection via Settings. "

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. It seems that your bug report is not filed about a specific source package though, rather it is just filed against Ubuntu in general. It is important that bug reports be filed about source packages so that people interested in the package can find the bugs about it. You can find some hints about determining what package your bug might be about at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage. You might also ask for help in the #ubuntu-bugs irc channel on Freenode.

To change the source package that this bug is filed about visit https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1806407/+editstatus and add the package name in the text box next to the word Package.

[This is an automated message. I apologize if it reached you inappropriately; please just reply to this message indicating so.]

tags: added: bot-comment
affects: ubuntu → network-manager (Ubuntu)

in my Ubuntu-MATE 18.04.2, all my three modems after connect to provider but browser says it cannot Resolve domains. in /var/log/syslog somehow appears 'degraded nameserver' or something. But Wifi connection works smooth. i have Ubuntu-MATE 16.04.2 and my modems work fine.

How to fix this bug?

i'm using Mobile Broadband in Network Manager applet to make a connection from an usb modem.

Mar 22 15:46:59 mate-Lenovo-ideapad-D330-10IGM systemd-resolved[576]: Using degraded feature set (TCP) for DNS server 112.215.71.243.
Mar 22 15:47:03 mate-Lenovo-ideapad-D330-10IGM systemd-resolved[576]: Using degraded feature set (UDP) for DNS server 112.215.198.254.
Mar 22 15:47:05 mate-Lenovo-ideapad-D330-10IGM systemd-resolved[576]: Using degraded feature set (UDP) for DNS server 112.215.71.243.
Mar 22 15:47:08 mate-Lenovo-ideapad-D330-10IGM systemd-resolved[576]: Using degraded feature set (TCP) for DNS server 112.215.71.243.
Mar 22 15:47:08 mate-Lenovo-ideapad-D330-10IGM systemd-resolved[576]: Using degraded feature set (TCP) for DNS server 112.215.198.254.
Mar 22 15:47:14 mate-Lenovo-ideapad-D330-10IGM systemd-resolved[576]: Using degraded feature set (UDP) for DNS server 112.215.71.243.
Mar 22 15:47:14 mate-Lenovo-ideapad-D330-10IGM systemd-resolved[576]: Using degraded feature set (UDP) for DNS server 112.215.198.254.

still no luck when i change /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to bypass system-resolved with

[main]
dns=default

and i already try replace system-resolved with dnsmasq with NetworkManager.conf

[main]
dns=dnsmasq

still no lock with those things

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in network-manager (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed

mate@mate-Lenovo-YOGA-330-11IGM:~$ dig google.com

; <<>> DiG 9.11.3-1ubuntu1.5-Ubuntu <<>> google.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
mate@mate-Lenovo-YOGA-330-11IGM:~$

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers