[Tribe5] Need to de-activated and re-activated to work right

Bug #134267 reported by Patrice Vetsel on 2007-08-23
12
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
network-manager (Ubuntu)
High
Alexander Sack

Bug Description

Under Tribe 5, after oem or desktop installation, when principal user login under his gnome session after a reset of his PC :

Networking is not working.

nm-applet show a little orange triangle. I must de-activate and just after i re-activate and network works again.

Under the live/install session, nm-applet work immediately.

description: updated
Changed in network-manager-applet:
importance: Undecided → Medium
Patrice Vetsel (vetsel-patrice) wrote :

I must say that before Tribe5 and since Feisty all was fine.

I attach syslog and daemon logs just after login in session
and syslog and daemon logs just after de-activated and re-activated

Patrice Vetsel (vetsel-patrice) wrote :
Patrice Vetsel (vetsel-patrice) wrote :
Patrice Vetsel (vetsel-patrice) wrote :
Patrice Vetsel (vetsel-patrice) wrote :

Here is the strange part :
Aug 24 10:43:45 satori NetworkManager: <info> starting...
Aug 24 10:43:45 satori NetworkManager: <info> nm_policy_device_change_check:: !old_dev && !new_dev!!
Aug 24 10:43:49 satori NetworkManager: <info> eth0: Device is fully-supported using driver 'b44'.
Aug 24 10:43:49 satori NetworkManager: <info> nm_device_init(): waiting for device's worker thread to start
Aug 24 10:43:49 satori NetworkManager: <info> nm_device_init(): device's worker thread started, continuing.
Aug 24 10:43:49 satori NetworkManager: <info> Now managing wired Ethernet (802.3) device 'eth0'.
Aug 24 10:43:49 satori NetworkManager: <info> Deactivating device eth0.
Aug 24 10:43:49 satori NetworkManager: <info> nm_policy_device_change_check:: !old_dev && !new_dev!!
Aug 24 10:43:50 satori avahi-daemon[5136]: Network interface enumeration completed.
Aug 24 10:44:25 satori NetworkManager: <info> Updating allowed wireless network lists.
Aug 24 10:44:25 satori NetworkManager: <WARN> nm_dbus_get_networks_cb(): error received: org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo.NoNetworks - There are no wireless networks stored..

Look the "… <info> Deactivating device eth0." Why ?

Albert Damen (albrt) wrote :

I have the same problem. It started with tribe 4 update to kernel 2.6.22-10 and also happens with a fresh tribe 5 installation.
I am using amd64 alternate installation CD's and also have a wired network connection.

Changed in network-manager-applet:
status: New → Confirmed
Patrice Vetsel (vetsel-patrice) wrote :

I must precise that i have this problem with tribe5 i386 desktop under a notebook and also on my pc.

Same problem here,must de-activate and re-activate for network.
Fresh install Tribe 5.

xtknight (xt-knight) wrote :

Same problem here with latest updates. I rebooted, then nm-applet shows disconnected but eth0 was up and functional. I rebooted networking via nm-applet and it now shows connected, and everything works.

Changed in network-manager-applet:
assignee: nobody → asac
elroger (levrairoger) wrote :

Same problem with a fresh install of tribe 5. I just had to reboot the network one time (to make the updates) with "/etc/init.d/networking restart". But after updates and reboot no more problems.

Gavin Graham (gavingraham) wrote :

Also confirmed. I have seen this happen on three machines now. Attached is the daemon.log log from when it happended today.

Albert Damen (albrt) wrote :

It looks like this issue was solved today. I rebooted 4 times and didn't have to de-activate / activate the network.
Maybe the new dhcp packages received today solved this?

2007-09-07 18:05 /var/cache/apt/archives/dhcp3-client_3.0.5-3ubuntu4_amd64.deb
2007-09-07 18:05 /var/cache/apt/archives/dhcp3-common_3.0.5-3ubuntu4_amd64.deb

Yes same here after today's updates,rebooted several times and everything works.
Except bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/127806 is back again

Gavin Graham (gavingraham) wrote :

Confirmed to be now working on one of the three machines that has been experiencing this. Wont not be able to confirm those for a few days.

I can not reproduce it anymore. So i close my bug report. Thank you.

Changed in network-manager-applet:
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
Gavin Graham (gavingraham) wrote :

I have tested one more of the three machines affected and this one is using a wired connection. After running all the updates and partial dist upgrade this morning, I had to do the old disable & enable networking after I rebooted.
Attached is the daemon.log.

Changed in network-manager-applet:
status: Fix Released → In Progress

Indeed. This morning, bug has came back :(

Changed in network-manager-applet:
importance: Medium → High
status: In Progress → Confirmed
Gavin Graham (gavingraham) wrote :

I am unsure of the relevance but I had also had issues with the network manager applet not loading. I try to restart the network service (/etc/init.d/networking) but to no avail. The only option is to reboot the computer. This is with the ipw3495 chipset btw.
Attached is the relevant section of the daemon.log.

Alexander Sack (asac) wrote :

thus go away with fix of bug 139403.

Changed in network-manager-applet:
status: Confirmed → Triaged
Alexander Sack (asac) wrote :

should be fixed in network-manager 0.6.5-0ubuntu12.

Changed in network-manager:
status: Triaged → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers