synaptic netbeans install demands openjdk installation as well

Bug #258844 reported by inksmithy on 2008-08-17
2
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
netbeans (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: netbeans

When using synaptic package manager and attempting to install netbeans, a long list of dependancies is produced, including the various openjdk binaries/source.

Release 8.04.1 Hardy Heron

I didn't and don't want the openjdk java on the machine and expected synaptic to recognise that I had java installed already and not insist on installing more platforms.

Marek Slama (mslama-email) wrote :

netbeans 6.0.1 package has runtime dependency on openjdk-6-jdk | sun-java6-jdk. It means that one of these jdks must be installed. If you have other jdk it will not pass but will install openjdk.

Marek, hello, thanks for your reply.

I may not have explained the problem properly.

When trying to install netbeans using synaptic, a long list of other
programs and libraries are installed as well. These are:

libappframework-java
libbeansbinding-java
libini4j-java
libnb-apisupport-java
libnb-ide8-java
libnb-java1-java
libnb-javaparser-java
libnb-svnclientadapter-java
libswingworker-java
openjdk-6-jre
openjdk-6-jre-headless
openjdk-6-jre-lib

I understand netbeans has a dependency on openjdk-6-jdk | sun-java6-jdk,
what I don't understand is why I can install sun-java6-jdk (which needs to
be explicitly installed) and still have the openjdk forced onto me. The sun
offering is available from the multiverse repository, why is the openjdk
forced on the user when there is a compatible jdk already installed?

If I'm going at this from the wrong angle, please let me know - I'm trying
to be a bit helpful here rather than a pain.

regards,

Alan

2008/8/18 Marek Slama <email address hidden>

> netbeans 6.0.1 package has runtime dependency on openjdk-6-jdk | sun-
> java6-jdk. It means that one of these jdks must be installed. If you
> have other jdk it will not pass but will install openjdk.
>
> --
> synaptic netbeans install demands openjdk installation as well
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/258844
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

The problem is that packages

libappframework-java
libbeansbinding-java
libini4j-java
libnb-javaparser-java
libnb-svnclientadapter-java
libswingworker-java

have explicit dependency on openjdk-6-jre. This needs to be fixed.

inksmithy (inksmithy) wrote :

Ahhh, rightio.

How do we go about doing that?

Alan

2008/8/19 Yulia Novozhilova <email address hidden>

> The problem is that packages
>
> libappframework-java
> libbeansbinding-java
> libini4j-java
> libnb-javaparser-java
> libnb-svnclientadapter-java
> libswingworker-java
>
> have explicit dependency on openjdk-6-jre. This needs to be fixed.
>
> --
> synaptic netbeans install demands openjdk installation as well
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/258844
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

I've created a separate bug describing this problem. Hope it will be fixed soon.
Thank you for your report.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers