Nautilus requires SMBv1 to work from "Other Locations" without manually typing in the address.

Bug #1881780 reported by Jon on 2020-06-02
14
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
gvfs (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
nautilus (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Navigate to Other Locations. Your SMB share should show here. Clicking on the share will cause an error "Unable to access location; Invalid Argument" if SMBv1 is disabled on the remote host. Manually connecting by typing in the address still works.

SMBv1 is deprecated due to WannaCry and other vulnerabilities. Please fully deprecate SMBv1 by default.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
Package: nautilus 1:3.36.1.1-1ubuntu2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-33.37-generic 5.4.34
Uname: Linux 5.4.0-33-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.2
Architecture: amd64
CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
Date: Tue Jun 2 11:41:18 2020
GsettingsChanges:

InstallationDate: Installed on 2019-10-13 (232 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" - Release amd64 (20190416)
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=xterm-256color
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: nautilus
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-04-24 (39 days ago)
usr_lib_nautilus:

Jon (superbacon) wrote :
Eduardo Barretto (ebarretto) wrote :

Hi @ahasenack, @seb128

I saw you've both have dealt with smb issues.
Could you please take a look on this issue?

Thanks!

information type: Private Security → Public Security
Andreas Hasenack (ahasenack) wrote :

When you manually connect, by typing in the full smb url, it doesn't mean SMB1 is being used. You can verify that by running "sudo smbstatus" on the server.

Changed in nautilus (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete

No but when you use the automatic detection of smb services which I’m
guessing uses NetBios or something like that it won’t connect if SMBv1 is
disabled.

So simply navigating to Other Locations and clicking on the automatically
enumerated host names, the connection will completely fail if SMBv1 is
disabled. This might be related to samba directly because the same thing
happens in VLC.

The current workaround is to manually specify the URL to connect to the
desired share.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:35 PM Andreas Hasenack <email address hidden>
wrote:

> When you manually connect, by typing in the full smb url, it doesn't
> mean SMB1 is being used. You can verify that by running "sudo smbstatus"
> on the server.
>
> ** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1881780
>
> Title:
> Nautilus requires SMBv1 to work from "Other Locations" without
> manually typing in the address.
>
> Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Navigate to Other Locations. Your SMB share should show here.
> Clicking on the share will cause an error "Unable to access location;
> Invalid Argument" if SMBv1 is disabled on the remote host. Manually
> connecting by typing in the address still works.
>
> SMBv1 is deprecated due to WannaCry and other vulnerabilities. Please
> fully deprecate SMBv1 by default.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
> Package: nautilus 1:3.36.1.1-1ubuntu2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-33.37-generic 5.4.34
> Uname: Linux 5.4.0-33-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
> ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.2
> Architecture: amd64
> CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
> Date: Tue Jun 2 11:41:18 2020
> GsettingsChanges:
>
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2019-10-13 (232 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" - Release amd64 (20190416)
> ProcEnviron:
> TERM=xterm-256color
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: nautilus
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-04-24 (39 days ago)
> usr_lib_nautilus:
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1881780/+subscriptions
>

Andreas Hasenack (ahasenack) wrote :

Ah, I think I see what you mean. Nautilus (gvfs actually) is temporarily downgrading the protocol for the discovery, but it's not reverting that when trying to actually connect to a discovered host. Is that it?

This does ring a bell, it was supposed to be fixed with an SRU on bionic, and in the development release back then. That SRU is what enabled this temporary fallback to smbv1 while doing discovery, and reverted when connecting.

This needs troubleshooting.

Jon (superbacon) wrote :

Logically this seems to be correct. I’m not a samba developer, so I don’t
have direct insights to what is happening when. I don’t know much about
the samba discovery process.

The easy way to test this is startup FreeNAS in a VM because they disable
SMBv1 by default.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:05 PM Andreas Hasenack <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Ah, I think I see what you mean. Nautilus (gvfs actually) is temporarily
> downgrading the protocol for the discovery, but it's not reverting that
> when trying to actually connect to a discovered host. Is that it?
>
> This does ring a bell, it was supposed to be fixed with an SRU on
> bionic, and in the development release back then. That SRU is what
> enabled this temporary fallback to smbv1 while doing discovery, and
> reverted when connecting.
>
> This needs troubleshooting.
>
>
> ** Also affects: gvfs (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1881780
>
> Title:
> Nautilus requires SMBv1 to work from "Other Locations" without
> manually typing in the address.
>
> Status in gvfs package in Ubuntu:
> New
> Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
> Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Navigate to Other Locations. Your SMB share should show here.
> Clicking on the share will cause an error "Unable to access location;
> Invalid Argument" if SMBv1 is disabled on the remote host. Manually
> connecting by typing in the address still works.
>
> SMBv1 is deprecated due to WannaCry and other vulnerabilities. Please
> fully deprecate SMBv1 by default.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
> Package: nautilus 1:3.36.1.1-1ubuntu2
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-33.37-generic 5.4.34
> Uname: Linux 5.4.0-33-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
> ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.2
> Architecture: amd64
> CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
> Date: Tue Jun 2 11:41:18 2020
> GsettingsChanges:
>
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2019-10-13 (232 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" - Release amd64 (20190416)
> ProcEnviron:
> TERM=xterm-256color
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: nautilus
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-04-24 (39 days ago)
> usr_lib_nautilus:
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/1881780/+subscriptions
>

information type: Public Security → Public
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers