No menu bar in gtk apps

Bug #1565522 reported by pvilela on 2016-04-03
28
This bug affects 5 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
indicator-appmenu (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
nautilus (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

There is no menu bar in nautilus.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
Package: nautilus 1:3.18.4.is.3.14.3-0ubuntu4
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-16.32-generic 4.4.6
Uname: Linux 4.4.0-16-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu1
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: Unity
Date: Sun Apr 3 19:24:11 2016
GsettingsChanges:
 b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry' b"'890x494+362+76'"
 b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'maximized' b'true'
 b'org.gnome.nautilus.list-view' b'default-column-order' b"['name', 'size', 'type', 'date_modified', 'date_accessed', 'owner', 'group', 'permissions', 'mime_type', 'where']"
InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-10-25 (161 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 15.10 "Wily Werewolf" - Release amd64 (20151021)
SourcePackage: nautilus
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)

pvilela (paulo-m-costa) wrote :
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in nautilus (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed

I have the same problem in gnome-terminal, and eog as well. Could be all gtk+ apps having this issue?

All Gtk+ apps i sampled have no menu. Evince, Inkscape, Rhythmbox, etc. But otoh, menus work fine in non-gtk apps like Firefox

Yes,problemas affect multiple applications. Gnome Terminal as well
On 5 Apr 2016 13:06, "Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen" <email address hidden>
wrote:

> All Gtk+ apps i sampled have no menu. Evince, Inkscape, Rhythmbox, etc.
> But otoh, menus work fine in non-gtk apps like Firefox
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1565522
>
> Title:
> No menu bar in nautilus
>
> Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> There is no menu bar in nautilus.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
> Package: nautilus 1:3.18.4.is.3.14.3-0ubuntu4
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-16.32-generic 4.4.6
> Uname: Linux 4.4.0-16-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: amd64
> CurrentDesktop: Unity
> Date: Sun Apr 3 19:24:11 2016
> GsettingsChanges:
> b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry' b"'890x494+362+76'"
> b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'maximized' b'true'
> b'org.gnome.nautilus.list-view' b'default-column-order' b"['name',
> 'size', 'type', 'date_modified', 'date_accessed', 'owner', 'group',
> 'permissions', 'mime_type', 'where']"
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-10-25 (161 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 15.10 "Wily Werewolf" - Release amd64
> (20151021)
> SourcePackage: nautilus
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1565522/+subscriptions
>

summary: - No menu bar in nautilus
+ No menu bar in gtk apps

To further clarify: I can still find menu entries by searching for them in the HUD (fx. in Nautilus press Alt and type "folder" and select the "Create folder" menu item there). So I guess the menus are still exported somehow, just not being rendered.

Mh, this seems related to bug #1546279....

Does a "restart unity-panel-service" fix the things for you?

Yes!

killall unity-panel-service

fixed it! Menus are back everwhere!

2016-04-06 15:57 GMT+01:00 Marco Trevisan (Treviño) <mail@3v1n0.net>:

> Mh, this seems related to bug #1546279....
>
> Does a "restart unity-panel-service" fix the things for you?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1565522
>
> Title:
> No menu bar in gtk apps
>
> Status in indicator-appmenu package in Ubuntu:
> New
> Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> There is no menu bar in nautilus.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
> Package: nautilus 1:3.18.4.is.3.14.3-0ubuntu4
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-16.32-generic 4.4.6
> Uname: Linux 4.4.0-16-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu1
> Architecture: amd64
> CurrentDesktop: Unity
> Date: Sun Apr 3 19:24:11 2016
> GsettingsChanges:
> b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry' b"'890x494+362+76'"
> b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'maximized' b'true'
> b'org.gnome.nautilus.list-view' b'default-column-order' b"['name',
> 'size', 'type', 'date_modified', 'date_accessed', 'owner', 'group',
> 'permissions', 'mime_type', 'where']"
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-10-25 (161 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 15.10 "Wily Werewolf" - Release amd64
> (20151021)
> SourcePackage: nautilus
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-appmenu/+bug/1565522/+subscriptions
>

pvilela (paulo-m-costa) wrote :

But of course, I need to do it everytime I reboot :-(

2016-04-06 19:53 GMT+01:00 Paulo M. Costa <email address hidden>:

> Yes!
>
> killall unity-panel-service
>
> fixed it! Menus are back everwhere!
>
>
> 2016-04-06 15:57 GMT+01:00 Marco Trevisan (Treviño) <mail@3v1n0.net>:
>
>> Mh, this seems related to bug #1546279....
>>
>> Does a "restart unity-panel-service" fix the things for you?
>>
>> --
>> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
>> report.
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1565522
>>
>> Title:
>> No menu bar in gtk apps
>>
>> Status in indicator-appmenu package in Ubuntu:
>> New
>> Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
>> Confirmed
>>
>> Bug description:
>> There is no menu bar in nautilus.
>>
>> ProblemType: Bug
>> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
>> Package: nautilus 1:3.18.4.is.3.14.3-0ubuntu4
>> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-16.32-generic 4.4.6
>> Uname: Linux 4.4.0-16-generic x86_64
>> ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu1
>> Architecture: amd64
>> CurrentDesktop: Unity
>> Date: Sun Apr 3 19:24:11 2016
>> GsettingsChanges:
>> b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'geometry' b"'890x494+362+76'"
>> b'org.gnome.nautilus.window-state' b'maximized' b'true'
>> b'org.gnome.nautilus.list-view' b'default-column-order' b"['name',
>> 'size', 'type', 'date_modified', 'date_accessed', 'owner', 'group',
>> 'permissions', 'mime_type', 'where']"
>> InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-10-25 (161 days ago)
>> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 15.10 "Wily Werewolf" - Release amd64
>> (20151021)
>> SourcePackage: nautilus
>> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>>
>> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-appmenu/+bug/1565522/+subscriptions
>>
>
>

Confirming that 'restart unity-panel-service' fixes it for me as well.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in indicator-appmenu (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers