Ubuntu

mscore.real crashed with SIGSEGV in Score::cmd()

Reported by Broomer68 on 2008-03-17
10
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
MuseScore
Unknown
Unknown
mscore (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Toby Smithe

Bug Description

Binary package hint: mscore

I was trying to copy and paste a part of music, then it froze and reported this error. the complete report was 175 MB, so I opted for the small one

ProblemType: Crash
Architecture: i386
Date: Mon Mar 17 19:21:46 2008
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.04
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/mscore.real
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
Package: mscore 0.9.1d+dfsg-0ubuntu2
PackageArchitecture: i386
ProcCmdline: /usr/bin/mscore.real
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
Signal: 11
SourcePackage: mscore
StacktraceTop:
 Score::cmd ()
 MuseScore::cmd ()
 MuseScore::qt_metacall ()
 QMetaObject::activate () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
 QMetaObject::activate () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
Title: mscore.real crashed with SIGSEGV in Score::cmd()
Uname: Linux 2.6.24-12-generic i686
UserGroups: adm admin audio cdrom dialout dip floppy fuse lpadmin plugdev sambashare video

Broomer68 (jbezemer) wrote :
Toby Smithe (tsmithe) wrote :

Hi. Could you attach a copy of a score that provokes this crash, and describe exactly what you were attempting to copy when the crash happened? I can copy certain amounts of music fine here, so it'd be interesting to see what exactly is happening.

I have also linked the bug report upstream, here: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1917185&group_id=109430&atid=653454

Changed in mscore:
assignee: nobody → tsmithe
Broomer68 (jbezemer) wrote :

here is the score. I wanted to copy the tenor/bass line from the first line to the second line. (after filing the soprano/alt lines with music and lyrics)
I now have put them in manually.

I noticed that Mscore is unstable when deleting or replacing some notes. I did have some other crashes today that I did not report.

NB. I am still figuring out all options, just a beginner, so maybe just doing it wrong (or just not the way it was meant)

Should I file another bug that when mscore is started, all other system sounds are held back until mscore is finished (or crashed), and then play simultanious?

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Broomer68 <email address hidden> wrote:
> here is the score. I wanted to copy the tenor/bass line from the first line to the second line. (after filing the soprano/alt lines with music and lyrics)
> I now have put them in manually.

Ok, I'll have a look and see if I can reproduce the crash.

> I noticed that Mscore is unstable when deleting or replacing some notes.
> I did have some other crashes today that I did not report.

I don't suppose upstream wants to be inundated by bug reports, but I'm
sure to a point, the more the merrier. If you come across something
that does not work as expect, please do report it.

> NB. I am still figuring out all options, just a beginner, so maybe just
> doing it wrong (or just not the way it was meant)

I don't believe that the user should ever have to feel he is "just
doing it wrong", especially if it causes a crash.

> Should I file another bug that when mscore is started, all other system
> sounds are held back until mscore is finished (or crashed), and then
> play simultanious?

Ah, yes. I did have mscore "suspend" the sounds on purpose, as
currently PulseAudio doesn't support the kind of memory access that
mscore uses (so it has to bypass that, and access the card directly).
PulseAudio is the sound server that Ubuntu and most of its
applications use. It's interesting that they all play back
simultaneously, but that's somewhat to be expected, I suppose. At this
time, I don't think it would be worth filing a bug report for the
problems caused by this hackish pasuspender workaround. Hopefully at
some point in the future we'll have OSS4 and vmix, or a PulseAudio
version that supports mmap access...

> ** Attachment added: "HKS622.msc"
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/12710038/HKS622.msc
>
>
> --
> mscore.real crashed with SIGSEGV in Score::cmd()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/203250
>
>
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Toby Smithe (tsmithe) wrote :

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Toby Smithe <email address hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Broomer68 <email address hidden> wrote:
> > here is the score. I wanted to copy the tenor/bass line from the first line to the second line. (after filing the soprano/alt lines with music and lyrics)
> > I now have put them in manually.
>
> Ok, I'll have a look and see if I can reproduce the crash.

Right, I managed to copy each bar from the first line tenor/bass part
into the second line, after I had deleted the music that was there,
but I did have to do this bar by bar: I was unable to copy more than
one bar at a time. I think perhaps this latter is a known bug,
however.

Could you clarify *exactly* your actions that caused the crash?

Broomer68 (jbezemer) wrote :

Toby Smithe wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Toby Smithe <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Broomer68 <email address hidden> wrote:
>> > here is the score. I wanted to copy the tenor/bass line from the first line to the second line. (after filing the soprano/alt lines with music and lyrics)
>> > I now have put them in manually.
>>
>> Ok, I'll have a look and see if I can reproduce the crash.
>>
>
> Right, I managed to copy each bar from the first line tenor/bass part
> into the second line, after I had deleted the music that was there,
> but I did have to do this bar by bar: I was unable to copy more than
> one bar at a time. I think perhaps this latter is a known bug,
> however.
>
> Could you clarify *exactly* your actions that caused the crash?
>
>
selecting the tenor/bass 1st line, 1st measure, right click copy
select second line first measure, right click paste... crash

I did however first try to select more bars from line 1, but that did
not work.

wait... I think with the right click, I selected the staff lines to
copy. It is quite difficult to press the right button, as it then
selects the next option:
select the staff lines, and press right, it will have selected the
notes; select the notes, click right and you have selected the staff.

one other thing about the sound: when suspended, Thunderbirds New Mail
message is suspended, but Thunderbird as a whole is suspended too. Maybe
not your fault, but definitely wrong...

--
Regards, Groeten, etc...

Jeroen Bezemer
Baanhoek 271
Sliedrecht

51N49.441, 4E44.656

Toby Smithe (tsmithe) wrote :

I have been unable to reproduce this crash (though I have suffered others), and upstream haven't taken much interest in debugging, it seems. As a result, I'll have to mark this bug as Invalid, but if you encounter it again, please re-open the bug. If it would be possible, please upload the full crash report next time; it includes more detailed retracing information.

I do recommend that if you have not already done so, you open a bug on Thunderbird.

Changed in mscore:
status: New → Invalid
Broomer68 (jbezemer) wrote :

Toby Smithe wrote:
> I have been unable to reproduce this crash (though I have suffered
> others), and upstream haven't taken much interest in debugging, it
> seems. As a result, I'll have to mark this bug as Invalid, but if you
> encounter it again, please re-open the bug. If it would be possible,
> please upload the full crash report next time; it includes more detailed
> retracing information.
>
> I do recommend that if you have not already done so, you open a bug on
> Thunderbird.
>
Thanks for the trying. I already reported thunderbird (but not yet
received acknowledge)

--
Regards, Groeten, etc...

Jeroen Bezemer
Baanhoek 271
Sliedrecht

51N49.441, 4E44.656

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.