mingw32 and mingw-w64 need zlib-dev and pthreads libraries

Bug #1022397 reported by Simson Garfinkel on 2012-07-08
12
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Debian
Fix Released
Unknown
mingw-w64 (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Stephen Kitt
mingw32 (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

I maintain open source software that cross-compiles for Windows using mingw. We would like our users to be able to compile on Ubuntu. Currently they cannot because there is not zlib-dev and there is no pthreads in the Ubuntu mingw-w64 build system.

Are there any plans to add these? It is actually quite difficult to build them from sources on mingw, as it requires editing the distribution files. They should be included as part of the base system.

Also, the program configure-mingw and configure-mingw64 are also not provided, and they should be.

Pali (pali) wrote :

You can use both zlib and pthreads from my PPA: https://launchpad.net/~mingw-packages/+archive/ppa
It contains some win32 and win64 binaries in deb packages compiled by mingw compilers.

Unfortunately, I'm developing a computer forensic tool, so it really should be the official repository. Is there any chance of having it added in to the official one?

In the meantime, are there short, simple instructions that I can give people for adding the PPA?

Thanks,

Simson

On Jul 9, 2012, at 2:21 AM, Pali <email address hidden> wrote:

> You can use both zlib and pthreads from my PPA: https://launchpad.net/~mingw-packages/+archive/ppa
> It contains some win32 and win64 binaries in deb packages compiled by mingw compilers.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1022397
>
> Title:
> mingw32 and mingw-w64 need zlib-dev and pthreads libraries
>
> Status in “mingw-w64” package in Ubuntu:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> I maintain open source software that cross-compiles for Windows using
> mingw. We would like our users to be able to compile on Ubuntu.
> Currently they cannot because there is not zlib-dev and there is no
> pthreads in the Ubuntu mingw-w64 build system.
>
> Are there any plans to add these? It is actually quite difficult to
> build them from sources on mingw, as it requires editing the
> distribution files. They should be included as part of the base
> system.
>
> Also, the program configure-mingw and configure-mingw64 are also not
> provided, and they should be.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mingw-w64/+bug/1022397/+subscriptions

Pali (pali) wrote :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mingw-packages/ppa && sudo apt-get update

Hi Simson,

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 23:16:12 -0000, Simson Garfinkel
<email address hidden> wrote:
> I maintain open source software that cross-compiles for Windows using
> mingw. We would like our users to be able to compile on Ubuntu.
> Currently they cannot because there is not zlib-dev and there is no
> pthreads in the Ubuntu mingw-w64 build system.
>
> Are there any plans to add these? It is actually quite difficult to
> build them from sources on mingw, as it requires editing the
> distribution files. They should be included as part of the base system.

The Ubuntu MinGW-w64 packages come from Debian, and I'll probably wait until
Debian wheezy is released (and the distribution unfrozen) before updating the
packages. Nevertheless pthreads support is in the works, and should arrive
soon after wheezy's release. zlib-dev will take a bit longer, the approach
we're taking is to add a new partial architecture (so we'll need support in
the infrastructure tools).

> Also, the program configure-mingw and configure-mingw64 are also not
> provided, and they should be.

I take it you're referring to Fedora-style configure scripts which add the
appropriate parameters to configure invocations? (As described in
http://<email address hidden>/msg02946.html for
example.) They're not provided in the upstream packages but I can certainly
add them (along with appropriate pkg-config links).

Regards,

Stephen

Simson Garfinkel (simsong) wrote :

>
>> Also, the program configure-mingw and configure-mingw64 are also not
>> provided, and they should be.
>
> I take it you're referring to Fedora-style configure scripts which add the
> appropriate parameters to configure invocations? (As described in
> http://<email address hidden>/msg02946.html for
> example.) They're not provided in the upstream packages but I can certainly
> add them (along with appropriate pkg-config links).

Yes, that was what I was referring to. They are incredibly useful. Is there any way we could get them into the upstream packages?

Thanks,

Simson

Dimitri John Ledkov (xnox) wrote :

I am all for cross-bootstrapping multi-arch architecture. But this will take time.

Stephen Kitt (steve-sk2) wrote :

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 14:48:21 -0000, Simson Garfinkel
<email address hidden> wrote:
> >> Also, the program configure-mingw and configure-mingw64 are also not
> >> provided, and they should be.
> >
> > I take it you're referring to Fedora-style configure scripts which add the
> > appropriate parameters to configure invocations? (As described in
> > http://<email address hidden>/msg02946.html
> > for example.) They're not provided in the upstream packages but I can
> > certainly add them (along with appropriate pkg-config links).
>
> Yes, that was what I was referring to. They are incredibly useful. Is
> there any way we could get them into the upstream packages?

I've had a good look at the Fedora scripts, and they are rather specific to
Fedora's layout for the MinGW-w64 packages; in fact they seem to be intended
first of all as packaging helpers to build other MinGW-w64-based packages in
Fedora. I can provide similar scripts for Debian (and Ubuntu), but I don't
think it would make much sense to try to get such scripts into the upstream
packages given that they would always end up being distribution-specific...

Regards,

Stephen

Simson Garfinkel (simsong) wrote :

Thanks for your email. Okay, I suggest that you create your own, but that they have the same names for ease-of-use.
Thanks again

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in mingw-w64 (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in mingw32 (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Stephen Kitt (steve-sk2) on 2012-09-22
Changed in mingw-w64 (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Stephen Kitt (steve-sk2)
Changed in debian:
status: Unknown → New
Changed in debian:
status: New → Fix Released
Stephen Kitt (steve-sk2) wrote :

pthreads is now available as libpthreads-mingw-w64 in Raring (13.04).

Thanks.

On Feb 25, 2013, at 2:19 AM, Stephen Kitt <email address hidden> wrote:

> pthreads is now available as libpthreads-mingw-w64 in Raring (13.04).
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1022397
>
> Title:
> mingw32 and mingw-w64 need zlib-dev and pthreads libraries
>
> Status in “mingw-w64” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in “mingw32” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
> Status in Debian GNU/Linux:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> I maintain open source software that cross-compiles for Windows using
> mingw. We would like our users to be able to compile on Ubuntu.
> Currently they cannot because there is not zlib-dev and there is no
> pthreads in the Ubuntu mingw-w64 build system.
>
> Are there any plans to add these? It is actually quite difficult to
> build them from sources on mingw, as it requires editing the
> distribution files. They should be included as part of the base
> system.
>
> Also, the program configure-mingw and configure-mingw64 are also not
> provided, and they should be.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mingw-w64/+bug/1022397/+subscriptions

Stephen Kitt (steve-sk2) wrote :

Two years on, libz-mingw-w64 is available in Ubuntu: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libz-mingw-w64

I still need to add the configure scripts.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Related questions

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.