Ubuntu

upgrade to hardy breaks lirc 0.8.3pre1 kernel modules

Reported by ginsu on 2008-04-17
14
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
lirc (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Mario Limonciello
Hardy
Undecided
Unassigned
Intrepid
Undecided
Mario Limonciello

Bug Description

Binary package hint: lirc

Problem:
After the upgrade to hardy, `modprobe lirc_i2c` (or any other lirc kernel module in /var/lib/dkms/lirc/0.8.3~pre1/2.6.24-16-generic/i686/module) complained of "invalid module format".

Found workaround:
Remove lirc kernel modules: `sudo dkms remove -m lirc -v 0.8.3~pre1 --all`
Rebuild lirc kernel modules: `sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc-modules-source`

ProblemType: Bug
Architecture: i386
Date: Thu Apr 17 19:33:40 2008
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.04
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
Package: lirc 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
PackageArchitecture: i386
ProcEnviron:
 SHELL=/bin/bash
 PATH=/home/username/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/home/username/bin
 LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
SourcePackage: lirc
Uname: Linux 2.6.24-16-generic i686

--------
The lirc-modules-source package was designed to be agnostic to ABI bumps, letting users compile their own kernel modules easily. Unfortunately, due to this bug, that behavior doesn't work at all. The wrong kernel headers get used upon every upgrade.

There is a patch available on the intrepid branch of lirc.

Test Case:
1) Install lirc-modules-source on any single kernel
2) Attempt to modprobe an of the kernel objects in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates/dkms/lirc*
3) Install another kernel image.
4) Boot into that kernel image and try to modprobe the kernel object by the same name.

You will be unable to load that second object.

ginsu (temp-ginsu) wrote :

ginsu wrote:
> Public bug reported:
>
> Binary package hint: lirc
>
> Problem:
> After the upgrade to hardy, `modprobe lirc_i2c` (or any other lirc kernel module in /var/lib/dkms/lirc/0.8.3~pre1/2.6.24-16-generic/i686/module) complained of "invalid module format".
>
> Found workaround:
> Remove lirc kernel modules: `sudo dkms remove -m lirc -v 0.8.3~pre1 --all`
> Rebuild lirc kernel modules: `sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc-modules-source`
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Thu Apr 17 19:33:40 2008
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.04
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> Package: lirc 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> PackageArchitecture: i386
> ProcEnviron:
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> PATH=/home/username/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/home/username/bin
> LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
> SourcePackage: lirc
> Uname: Linux 2.6.24-16-generic i686
>
> ** Affects: lirc (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
>
> ** Tags: apport-bug
>

Hm interesting bug. It's not reproducible in any other circumstances than an
upgrade.

Before you start to pollute it, can you post /var/log/dpkg.log so we can see how
this came to be?

Well FYI, you don't need lirc-modules-source installed. The modules are
provided in linux-ubuntu-modules.
--
Mario Limonciello
<email address hidden>

ginsu (temp-ginsu) wrote :
Download full text (4.6 KiB)

Fully attached as requested, but perhaps you want to see `cat /var/log/dpkg.log|grep lirc`, which is copied below. I chose to keep my existing hardware.conf, but I don't see why this would have anything to do with the problem.

2008-04-16 10:34:02 upgrade liblircclient-dev 0.8.2-0ubuntu8 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 10:34:02 status half-configured liblircclient-dev 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 10:34:02 status unpacked liblircclient-dev 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 10:34:02 status half-installed liblircclient-dev 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 10:34:02 status half-installed liblircclient-dev 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 10:34:02 status unpacked liblircclient-dev 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 10:34:02 status unpacked liblircclient-dev 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 10:34:02 upgrade liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 10:34:02 status half-configured liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 10:34:02 status unpacked liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 10:34:02 status half-installed liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 10:34:02 status half-installed liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 10:34:02 status unpacked liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 10:34:02 status unpacked liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 21:55:28 upgrade lirc-x 0.8.2-0ubuntu8 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 21:55:28 status half-configured lirc-x 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 21:55:28 status unpacked lirc-x 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 21:55:28 status half-installed lirc-x 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 21:55:28 status half-installed lirc-x 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 21:55:28 status unpacked lirc-x 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 21:55:28 status unpacked lirc-x 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 21:55:43 upgrade lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 21:55:43 status half-configured lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 21:55:45 status unpacked lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 21:55:45 status half-installed lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 21:55:45 status half-installed lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 21:55:47 status unpacked lirc 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 21:55:47 status unpacked lirc 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 22:10:37 upgrade lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 22:10:37 status half-configured lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 22:10:37 status unpacked lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 22:10:37 status half-installed lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 22:10:38 status half-installed lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-16 22:10:38 status unpacked lirc-modules-source 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 22:10:38 status unpacked lirc-modules-source 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 22:14:02 configure liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 22:14:02 status unpacked liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 22:14:02 status half-configured liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 22:14:03 status installed liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 22:14:03 configure liblircclient-dev 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 22:14:03 status unpacked liblircclient-dev 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-16 22:14:03 status half-configured liblircclient-d...

Read more...

Hartsa (harri-toivonen) wrote :
Download full text (4.8 KiB)

I had just like this problem after up1grade kernel 2.6.24-16-generic previous was 2.6.22-14-generic. Lirc do not work at all
dmesg |grep lirc
[ 46.934700] lirc_dev: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
[ 46.939016] lirc_mceusb2: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module

If I start the older kernel my lirc_mod_mce_0.1.5 is still working (mce mouse and keyboard), but X will give you some question window I cannot read at all because the font is too small in the window.

Any suggest how to set my lirc working like before with the new kernel?

Hartsa

 cat /var/log/dpkg.log|grep lirc:
2008-04-26 00:16:48 upgrade liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:16:48 status half-configured liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-26 00:16:48 status unpacked liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-26 00:16:48 status half-installed liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-26 00:16:48 status half-installed liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-26 00:16:49 status unpacked liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:16:49 status unpacked liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:16:50 upgrade lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:16:50 status half-configured lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-26 00:16:51 status unpacked lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-26 00:16:51 status half-installed lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-26 00:16:51 status half-installed lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-26 00:16:55 status unpacked lirc 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:16:55 status unpacked lirc 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:16:55 upgrade mythbuntu-lirc-generator 0.16-0ubuntu1 0.20-0ubuntu1
2008-04-26 00:16:55 status half-configured mythbuntu-lirc-generator 0.16-0ubuntu1
2008-04-26 00:16:57 status unpacked mythbuntu-lirc-generator 0.16-0ubuntu1
2008-04-26 00:16:58 status half-installed mythbuntu-lirc-generator 0.16-0ubuntu1
2008-04-26 00:16:58 status half-installed mythbuntu-lirc-generator 0.16-0ubuntu1
2008-04-26 00:16:58 status unpacked mythbuntu-lirc-generator 0.20-0ubuntu1
2008-04-26 00:16:58 status unpacked mythbuntu-lirc-generator 0.20-0ubuntu1
2008-04-26 00:26:55 upgrade lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:26:55 status half-configured lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-26 00:26:55 status unpacked lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-26 00:26:55 status half-installed lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-26 00:26:55 status half-installed lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
2008-04-26 00:26:55 status unpacked lirc-modules-source 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:26:55 status unpacked lirc-modules-source 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:32:42 configure liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:32:42 status unpacked liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:32:42 status half-configured liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:32:42 status installed liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:32:44 configure lirc 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:32:44 status unpacked lirc 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
2008-04-26 00:33:52 conffile /etc/lirc/hardware.conf install
2008-04-26 00:33:52 status unpacked lirc 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
200...

Read more...

Hartsa (harri-toivonen) wrote :

I got lirc working when tried
Found workaround:
Remove lirc kernel modules: `sudo dkms remove -m lirc -v 0.8.3~pre1 --all`
Rebuild lirc kernel modules: `sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc-modules-source`

and installed lirc_mod_mce_0.2.0 again. Now writing mce keyboard.

Now just need to try to repair mythtv again. It won't run start anymore, but it's a different story.

Thanks

Download full text (5.1 KiB)

Hartsa wrote:
> I had just like this problem after up1grade kernel 2.6.24-16-generic previous was 2.6.22-14-generic. Lirc do not work at all
> dmesg |grep lirc
> [ 46.934700] lirc_dev: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
> [ 46.939016] lirc_mceusb2: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
>
> If I start the older kernel my lirc_mod_mce_0.1.5 is still working (mce
> mouse and keyboard), but X will give you some question window I cannot
> read at all because the font is too small in the window.
>
> Any suggest how to set my lirc working like before with the new kernel?
>
> Hartsa
>
> cat /var/log/dpkg.log|grep lirc:
> 2008-04-26 00:16:48 upgrade liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00:16:48 status half-configured liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
> 2008-04-26 00:16:48 status unpacked liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
> 2008-04-26 00:16:48 status half-installed liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
> 2008-04-26 00:16:48 status half-installed liblircclient0 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
> 2008-04-26 00:16:49 status unpacked liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00:16:49 status unpacked liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00:16:50 upgrade lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00:16:50 status half-configured lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
> 2008-04-26 00:16:51 status unpacked lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
> 2008-04-26 00:16:51 status half-installed lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
> 2008-04-26 00:16:51 status half-installed lirc 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
> 2008-04-26 00:16:55 status unpacked lirc 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00:16:55 status unpacked lirc 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00:16:55 upgrade mythbuntu-lirc-generator 0.16-0ubuntu1 0.20-0ubuntu1
> 2008-04-26 00:16:55 status half-configured mythbuntu-lirc-generator 0.16-0ubuntu1
> 2008-04-26 00:16:57 status unpacked mythbuntu-lirc-generator 0.16-0ubuntu1
> 2008-04-26 00:16:58 status half-installed mythbuntu-lirc-generator 0.16-0ubuntu1
> 2008-04-26 00:16:58 status half-installed mythbuntu-lirc-generator 0.16-0ubuntu1
> 2008-04-26 00:16:58 status unpacked mythbuntu-lirc-generator 0.20-0ubuntu1
> 2008-04-26 00:16:58 status unpacked mythbuntu-lirc-generator 0.20-0ubuntu1
> 2008-04-26 00:26:55 upgrade lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00:26:55 status half-configured lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
> 2008-04-26 00:26:55 status unpacked lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
> 2008-04-26 00:26:55 status half-installed lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
> 2008-04-26 00:26:55 status half-installed lirc-modules-source 0.8.2-0ubuntu8
> 2008-04-26 00:26:55 status unpacked lirc-modules-source 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00:26:55 status unpacked lirc-modules-source 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00:32:42 configure liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00:32:42 status unpacked liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00:32:42 status half-configured liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00:32:42 status installed liblircclient0 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00:32:44 configure lirc 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00:32:44 status unpacked lirc 0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7
> 2008-04-26 00...

Read more...

Mario Limonciello (superm1) wrote :

I've identified the root cause of this problem to be a bug in the modules-source Makefile. I'm working on a solution.

Changed in lirc:
assignee: nobody → superm1
status: New → In Progress
Mario Limonciello (superm1) wrote :

Fixed in intrepid bzr #23

Changed in lirc:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Mario Limonciello (superm1) wrote :

Here is the hardy fix.

description: updated
Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Looks ok. However, that needs a motu-sru ack, doesn't it? I subscribed them.

Mario Limonciello (superm1) wrote :
  • unnamed Edit (1.0 KiB, text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1)

Well the source package is in main, but some binaries in universe. I wasn't
sure who was supposed to be subscribed, so I took the one for the source
package.

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Martin Pitt <email address hidden> wrote:

> Looks ok. However, that needs a motu-sru ack, doesn't it? I subscribed
> them.
>
> --
> upgrade to hardy breaks lirc 0.8.3pre1 kernel modules
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/218955
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of MythTV
> Ubuntu Maintainers, which is subscribed to lirc in ubuntu.
>

--
Mario Limonciello
<email address hidden>

Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Ah, indeed. Sponsored hardy.

Changed in lirc:
status: New → In Progress
Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Sponsored intrepid upload.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package lirc - 0.8.3-0ubuntu1

---------------
lirc (0.8.3-0ubuntu1) intrepid; urgency=low

  * New upstream version.
  * Drop 05_fix_cmdir as it's now included in CVS.
  * Update 12_pvr150_transmit_support for configure
    script changes.
  * Update 13-warning-cleanup to change from whitespace
    changes from CVS.
  * Update 16_lirc-gpio for changes from CVS.
  * Update 23_pad2keys for changes from CVS.
  * Update 24_freecom_dvbt for changes from CVS.
  * Drop 25_upstream_2_6_24 as it's now included from CVS.
  * Drop 29_macmini_repeat as it's now included from CVS.
  * Update 30_medion_md1_remote for changes from CVS.
  * Update 33_asus_mycinema_remote for changes from CVS.
  * Update 23_pad2keys patch to properly work (LP: #153184)
  * Update 21_atiusb.dpatch because it's half upstream now (LP: #213549)
  * Add 23_remove_md8800 as the MD8800 remote is causing problems. (LP: #213549)
  * debian/modules-source/lirc-modules-source.conf:
    - Default the mode to be w/ soft carrier. (LP: #182530)
  * Update 31_hauppauge_hvr_1100 to use the right devinput driver instead. (LP: #206495)
  * Add 34_nebula_digitv.dpatch for supporting the Nebula Digitv remote (LP: #164867)
  * Add 35_general_devinput.dpatch for generic devinput devices. (LP: #235811)
  * Add 36_remove_extra_tekram.dpatch for removing extra option in lirc.hwdb.
    This option was causing lots of failures (LP: #211566)
  * debian/{modules-source/Makefile,rules}:
    - Allow the kernel version to be passed as an argument.
      prevents broken upgrades when the kernel ABI revs (LP: #218955)
  * debian/lirc-modules-source.prerm:
    - Check for both remove and upgrade.

 -- Mario Limonciello <email address hidden> Sat, 10 May 2008 16:07:40 -0500

Changed in lirc:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Accepted into -proposed, please test and give feedback here

Changed in lirc:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Mario Limonciello (superm1) wrote :
Download full text (4.5 KiB)

I started out on the -17 kernel without having lirc installed. I added lirc-modules-source and then added the -19 kernel. I verified that this fix works properly:

supermario@mlimonciello:~$ sudo dpkg -i lirc-modules-source_0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7.1_all.deb
[sudo] password for supermario:
Selecting previously deselected package lirc-modules-source.
(Reading database ... 175017 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking lirc-modules-source (from lirc-modules-source_0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7.1_all.deb) ...
Setting up lirc-modules-source (0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7.1) ...
Adding Module to DKMS build system
Doing initial module build
Installing initial module
Done.

supermario@mlimonciello:~$ sudo dpkg -i Desktop/*.deb
Selecting previously deselected package linux-backports-modules-2.6.24-19-generic.
(Reading database ... 175161 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking linux-backports-modules-2.6.24-19-generic (from .../linux-backports-modules-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.17_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package linux-headers-2.6.24-19.
Unpacking linux-headers-2.6.24-19 (from .../linux-headers-2.6.24-19_2.6.24-19.33_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic.
Unpacking linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic (from .../linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.33_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic.
Unpacking linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic (from .../linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.33_i386.deb) ...
Done.
Preparing to replace linux-libc-dev 2.6.24-18.32 (using .../linux-libc-dev_2.6.24-19.33_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement linux-libc-dev ...
Selecting previously deselected package linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic.
Unpacking linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic (from .../linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24.13-19.42_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-19-generic.
Unpacking linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-19-generic (from .../linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.27_i386.deb) ...
Setting up linux-headers-2.6.24-19 (2.6.24-19.33) ...
Setting up linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic (2.6.24-19.33) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms

lirc (0.8.3~pre1): Installing module.
.............
......

Setting up linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic (2.6.24-19.33) ...
Running depmod.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
Running postinst hook script /sbin/update-grub.
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... found: /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-18-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-17-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Replacing config file /var/run/grub/menu.lst with new version
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing ...

Read more...

Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Copied to hardy-updates.

Changed in lirc:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Download full text (5.8 KiB)

I wasn't sure should I reply this, but I didn't find a place to reply in forum

I didn't installed you fix before my kernel was upgraded from 17 to 18.
Then I first try to do the workaround I did before, but it didn't work anymore.
Then I try to fix it all the way came to my mind, but I didn't removed lirc because it had so many dependensies. I removed lirc-sources and sources is not istalled right now.

Now mce remote control work (and irw of course) when I start computer, but the keyboard won't and I cannot discover why. If I do
  sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc
  sudo /etc/init.d/lircd restart (I'm not sure is this needed)
  and replug the usb lirc receiver
the mce keyboard start to work again and the remote also.
but after reboot only mce remote wil is still working not the keyboard

Do I still need lirc_mod_mce.ko module or should the keyboard work too with lirc_mceusb2 only?

Can you suggest how to repair this?
Should I still upgrade the fix like Martin Pitt today wrote?

Thanks for the great job to fix this,

Harri Toivonen

At 21:20 5.6.2008, you wrote:

>I started out on the -17 kernel without having lirc installed. I added
>lirc-modules-source and then added the -19 kernel. I verified that this
>fix works properly:
>
>supermario@mlimonciello:~$ sudo dpkg -i lirc-modules-source_0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7.1_all.deb
>[sudo] password for supermario:
>Selecting previously deselected package lirc-modules-source.
>(Reading database ... 175017 files and directories currently installed.)
>Unpacking lirc-modules-source (from lirc-modules-source_0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7.1_all.deb) ...
>Setting up lirc-modules-source (0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7.1) ...
>Adding Module to DKMS build system
>Doing initial module build
>Installing initial module
>Done.
>
>supermario@mlimonciello:~$ sudo dpkg -i Desktop/*.deb
>Selecting previously deselected package linux-backports-modules-2.6.24-19-generic.
>(Reading database ... 175161 files and directories currently installed.)
>Unpacking linux-backports-modules-2.6.24-19-generic (from .../linux-backports-modules-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.17_i386.deb) ...
>Selecting previously deselected package linux-headers-2.6.24-19.
>Unpacking linux-headers-2.6.24-19 (from .../linux-headers-2.6.24-19_2.6.24-19.33_all.deb) ...
>Selecting previously deselected package linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic.
>Unpacking linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic (from .../linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.33_i386.deb) ...
>Selecting previously deselected package linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic.
>Unpacking linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic (from .../linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.33_i386.deb) ...
>Done.
>Preparing to replace linux-libc-dev 2.6.24-18.32 (using .../linux-libc-dev_2.6.24-19.33_i386.deb) ...
>Unpacking replacement linux-libc-dev ...
>Selecting previously deselected package linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic.
>Unpacking linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic (from .../linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24.13-19.42_i386.deb) ...
>Selecting previously deselected package linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-19-generic.
>Unpacking linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-19-generic (from .../linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.27_i3...

Read more...

Download full text (6.2 KiB)

Hartsa wrote:
> I wasn't sure should I reply this, but I didn't find a place to reply in
> forum
>
> I didn't installed you fix before my kernel was upgraded from 17 to 18.
> Then I first try to do the workaround I did before, but it didn't work anymore.
> Then I try to fix it all the way came to my mind, but I didn't removed lirc because it had so many dependensies. I removed lirc-sources and sources is not istalled right now.
>
> Now mce remote control work (and irw of course) when I start computer, but the keyboard won't and I cannot discover why. If I do
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc
> sudo /etc/init.d/lircd restart (I'm not sure is this needed)
> and replug the usb lirc receiver
> the mce keyboard start to work again and the remote also.
> but after reboot only mce remote wil is still working not the keyboard
>
> Do I still need lirc_mod_mce.ko module or should the keyboard work too
> with lirc_mceusb2 only?
>
> Can you suggest how to repair this?
> Should I still upgrade the fix like Martin Pitt today wrote?
>
> Thanks for the great job to fix this,
>
> Harri Toivonen
>
> At 21:20 5.6.2008, you wrote:
>
>> I started out on the -17 kernel without having lirc installed. I added
>> lirc-modules-source and then added the -19 kernel. I verified that this
>> fix works properly:
>>
>> supermario@mlimonciello:~$ sudo dpkg -i lirc-modules-source_0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7.1_all.deb
>> [sudo] password for supermario:
>> Selecting previously deselected package lirc-modules-source.
>> (Reading database ... 175017 files and directories currently installed.)
>> Unpacking lirc-modules-source (from lirc-modules-source_0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7.1_all.deb) ...
>> Setting up lirc-modules-source (0.8.3~pre1-0ubuntu7.1) ...
>> Adding Module to DKMS build system
>> Doing initial module build
>> Installing initial module
>> Done.
>>
>> supermario@mlimonciello:~$ sudo dpkg -i Desktop/*.deb
>> Selecting previously deselected package linux-backports-modules-2.6.24-19-generic.
>> (Reading database ... 175161 files and directories currently installed.)
>> Unpacking linux-backports-modules-2.6.24-19-generic (from .../linux-backports-modules-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.17_i386.deb) ...
>> Selecting previously deselected package linux-headers-2.6.24-19.
>> Unpacking linux-headers-2.6.24-19 (from .../linux-headers-2.6.24-19_2.6.24-19.33_all.deb) ...
>> Selecting previously deselected package linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic.
>> Unpacking linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic (from .../linux-headers-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.33_i386.deb) ...
>> Selecting previously deselected package linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic.
>> Unpacking linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic (from .../linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.33_i386.deb) ...
>> Done.
>> Preparing to replace linux-libc-dev 2.6.24-18.32 (using .../linux-libc-dev_2.6.24-19.33_i386.deb) ...
>> Unpacking replacement linux-libc-dev ...
>> Selecting previously deselected package linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic.
>> Unpacking linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic (from .../linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24.13-19.42_i386.deb) ...
>> Selecting previously deselected package linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-...

Read more...

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers