lirc based applications can not get exclusive access to /dev/input interface

Bug #164627 reported by Márcio on 2007-11-23
58
This bug affects 4 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
lirc (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Mario Limonciello
Nominated for Intrepid by Claudiu Vlad

Bug Description

Hi,

    When i upgraded to Gutsy, my remote control stopped working thru lirc (it still translates some events to the terminal and applications). Today i took the night to discover the reason. On my syslog i found this:

Nov 22 10:36:21 filho kernel: [ 62.706967] input: cx88 IR (PixelView PlayTV Ultra as /class/input/input4
Nov 22 10:36:21 filho kernel: [ 62.707046] cx88[0]/0: found at 0000:00:0b.0, rev: 5, irq: 11, latency: 32, mmio: 0xe0000000
...
Nov 22 23:37:38 xxxx lircd-0.8.2-CVS[6052]: lircd(userspace) ready
Nov 22 23:47:53 xxxx lircd-0.8.2-CVS[6052]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Nov 22 23:47:53 xxxx lircd-0.8.2-CVS[6052]: initializing '/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:0b.0--event-ir'
Nov 22 23:47:53 xxxx lircd-0.8.2-CVS[6052]: can't get exclusive access to events comming from `/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:0b.0--event-ir' interface

    After googling a lot, i haven't found anything usefull about exclusive access.

    I thought it could be a competition between lirc and x.org, so i stopped GDM, went to terminal and tried irw which worked!

    I came back to gnome, tried sudo irw, which haven't worked.

    I have tried installing lirc from feisty, and it give me the same syslog messages. Switched back.

    So, i have tried to boot on feisty kernell (2.6.20-16-generic) and x.org worked with lirc from gutsy!

    So, the problem seems to be related to the kernel.

    Hope this helps you guys to find a suitable explanation.

OBS.: It seems that lots of changes have been made to the kernel... firstly i can't boot the new kernel (i had to update the initramfs with the ide-core and ide-generic modules) and now, lirc applications can't get exclusive access to a interface.

thanks!

Related branches

Michael Nagel (nailor) wrote :

is this still an issue with hardy?

Timbba (timbba) wrote :

Can you please fix this issue. Lirc is not usable at all due to this "can't get exclusive access" issue. Tested with Intrepid Alpha 5.

MarcRandolph (mrand) wrote :

Confirming since still happening for reporter with Intrepid

Changed in lirc:
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
Claudiu Vlad (claudiu-vlad) wrote :

I can confirm this behaviour, as I found this error in syslog. Additionally, remote control will NOT work if gdm and xorg are started , it is behaving like a crippled keyboard in xorg (only digits and enter working). If I stop xorg and gdm, its working perfectly, as I tested with irexec and irw.

Mario Limonciello (superm1) wrote :

I want to say that this bug will be fixed by the same fix as LP: 204960. I'm not going to mark them as duplicates though, so after the next upload, please confirm that it's actually fixed.
bzr #27

Changed in lirc:
assignee: nobody → superm1
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
Claudiu Vlad (claudiu-vlad) wrote :

Thanks for update, Mario. I am anxiously waiting to see this fixed. Also, I really want to mention that gnome-lirc-properties is always crashing and cant be run. I don't know if it is related to this bug, but anyways, ...
Cheers,

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package lirc - 0.8.3-0ubuntu2

---------------
lirc (0.8.3-0ubuntu2) intrepid; urgency=low

  * debian/patches/25_upstream_2.6.26.patch:
    - Fix lirc-modules-source compilation on 2.6.26 by pulling some
      patches from CVS (LP: #247233)
  * debian/rules:
    - Install original modules back into proper location for
      intrepid kernel (LP: #242216)
  * debian/patches/37_msi_tv_anywhere.dpatch:
    - Create patch for supporting MSI TV @anywhere remote. (LP: #241830)
  * debian/lirc.postinst:
    - Correct path to look for module in Intrepid.
    - Ask for a path when using dvico remotes. (LP: #238032)
    - Don't accidentally overwrite lircd.conf and hardware.conf
      when things haven't really changed at all. (LP: #206609)
  * debian/lirc.init.d:
    - Don't allow udev to put us into endless spinning loops. Instead
      pray that module hotplugging worked for all things USB. (LP: #269743)
  * debian/lirc.fdi:
    - Include this FDI file to prevent in kernel support for the
      saa7134 when LIRC is installed. (LP: #204960, #164627)
  * debian/rules:
    - Install FDI file.
  * debian/lirc.install:
    - List FDI file.
  * debian/patches/22_hauppauge_novat_500.dpatch:
    - Adapt to include alternative numeric keys. (LP: #224080)
  * debian/patches/25_upstream_2.6.27.dpatch:
    - Update to content that is currently sitting in Ubuntu GIT
      tree.

 -- Mario Limonciello <email address hidden> Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:02:17 -0500

Changed in lirc:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
rtrevor (rtrevor) wrote :

I'm still getting this problem on my Mythbuntu box running Intrepid 8.10 with the latest LIRC package mentioned above (lirc0.8.3-0ubuntu2).

My remote control was working fine in Hardy 8.04 but since upgrading the remote does not work while Xorg is running, and I see the same error message "can't get exclusive access to events comming from /dev/input/dvb-ir" in /var/log/syslog. If I stop GDM and run irw everything works fine, then if I start GDM and re-run irw it no longer recognises any button presses apart from the numbers and up/down/left/right.

This is with a Hauppauge Nova-T 500 tuner with the supplied remote control. Let me know if I can supply any more info.

Mario Limonciello (superm1) wrote :

Can you please post the output of
lshal

When you have this package installed?

Changed in lirc:
status: Fix Released → Incomplete
rtrevor (rtrevor) wrote :

lshal output attached.

The IR receiver device is using driver 'dib0700'

  • lirc.fdi Edit (236 bytes, application/octet-stream; name=lirc.fdi)

OK: try replacing the FDI file that is in
/usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/20thirdparty/lirc.fdi with this one and restart:

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 10:25, rtrevor <email address hidden> wrote:

> lshal output attached.
>
> The IR receiver device is using driver 'dib0700'
>
> ** Attachment added: "lshal output"
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/18017167/lshal-output
>
> --
> lirc based applications can not get exclusive access to /dev/input
> interface
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/164627
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of
> Mythbuntu, which is subscribed to lirc in ubuntu.
>

--
Mario Limonciello
<email address hidden>

rtrevor (rtrevor) wrote :

Fantastic - remote control works perfectly using that. Thanks!

Timbba (timbba) wrote :

I have also this kind of fdi file and it works. But it could be nice that if lirc is installed then all should work out of the box. Someone, which is not so familiar with linux, can't know that you can use these kind of hacks.

So fix this for newbies also, not just with these fdi files. For my opinion: this is not a fix, but a hack.

Mario Limonciello (superm1) wrote :

Hi Timbba:

You mean the FDI file that was posted "Works for you too"? Or a similar one
worked? If it's a similar one, we can roll up more of these fixes in the
next LIRC upload.

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 05:41, Timbba <email address hidden> wrote:

> I have also this kind of fdi file and it works. But it could be nice
> that if lirc is installed then all should work out of the box. Someone,
> which is not so familiar with linux, can't know that you can use these
> kind of hacks.
>
> So fix this for newbies also, not just with these fdi files. For my
> opinion: this is not a fix, but a hack.
>
> --
> lirc based applications can not get exclusive access to /dev/input
> interface
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/164627
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of
> Mythbuntu, which is subscribed to lirc in ubuntu.
>

--
Mario Limonciello
<email address hidden>

Dustin Coates (dcoates) wrote :

Im running Intrepid 8.10

I'I’m getting this same behavior with my Gyration MCE Remote, the problem is that this remote creates two device files. If i ignore it, the mouse part does not work.

Does the problem boil down to hal? Was their a change in the code between hardy's version and intrepid?

inglev (inglev) wrote :

I am also facing the same problem,

I backed up my old FDI file to lirc.fdi.old and then used the one from above. Reboot.
However, the problem was still there

Setup:
Intrepid 8.10 AMD64 (Mythbuntu)
2.6.27-5-generic
lirc 0.8.3-0ubuntu2
Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus (same remote control as Nova-T)

my Output from lshal:
...
udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_14f1_8802_logicaldev_input'
  info.addons.singleton = {'hald-addon-input'} (string list)
  info.callouts.add = {'debian-setup-keyboard'} (string list)
  info.capabilities = {'input', 'input.keys', 'button'} (string list)
  info.category = 'input' (string)
  info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_14f1_8802' (string)
  info.product = 'cx88 IR (Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus' (string)
  info.subsystem = 'input' (string)
  info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_14f1_8802_logicaldev_input' (string)
  input.device = '/dev/input/event5' (string)
  input.originating_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_14f1_8802' (string)
  input.product = 'cx88 IR (Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus' (string)
  input.x11_driver = 'evdev' (string)
  input.xkb.layout = 'de' (string)
  input.xkb.model = 'pc105' (string)
  input.xkb.options = 'lv3:ralt_switch' (string)
  input.xkb.rules = 'evdev' (string)
  input.xkb.variant = 'nodeadkeys' (string)
  linux.device_file = '/dev/input/event5' (string)
  linux.hotplug_type = 2 (0x2) (int)
  linux.subsystem = 'input' (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/class/input/input5/event5' (string)
...

Apparently the search string for info.product in the new fdi-file was looking for "IR-Receiver". I edited it and set it to "cx88 IR" instead. Now it works!

I aggree with the others that this should be really fixed soon! This bug screws basically all Remote Control users ... and give the popularity of e.g. Mythbuntu this might be a show stopper for a lot of them. I myself wasted some days trying to get the Remote control working before someone hinted me at this bug.

Cheers.

JB5 (sir-bunt) wrote :

I can confirm that the modified lirc.fdi file, listed above by Mario, has also solved my nova-t-500 remote control problem. (Thanks!)

Machine was upgraded to intrepid (64)
(2.6.27-6-generic)
lirc 0.8.3-0ubuntu2
nova-t-500 tuner with standard remote.

HTH

Panayiotis Savva (psavva) wrote :

udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_109e_36e_logicaldev_input'
  info.addons.singleton = {'hald-addon-input'} (string list)
  info.callouts.add = {'debian-setup-keyboard'} (string list)
  info.capabilities = {'input', 'input.keys', 'button'} (string list)
  info.category = 'input' (string)
  info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_109e_36e' (string)
  info.product = 'bttv IR (card=139)' (string)
  info.subsystem = 'input' (string)
  info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_109e_36e_logicaldev_input' (string)
  input.device = '/dev/input/event8' (string)
  input.originating_device = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_109e_36e' (string)
  input.product = 'bttv IR (card=139)' (string)
  input.x11_driver = 'evdev' (string)
  input.xkb.layout = 'us' (string)
  input.xkb.model = 'pc105' (string)
  input.xkb.rules = 'evdev' (string)
  linux.device_file = '/dev/input/event8' (string)
  linux.hotplug_type = 2 (0x2) (int)
  linux.subsystem = 'input' (string)
  linux.sysfs_path = '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:02:01.0/input/input8/event8' (string)

What should my FDI file look like?

I still keep getting error after making changes and restarting lirc

Lucas (lucha) wrote :

Try replacing "IR-Receiver" by "bttv IR" in the lirc.fdi file.

Lucas (lucha) wrote :

I use an hauppauge hvr-1100 and it worked for me by replacing "IR-Receiver" by "cx88 IR" in the lirc.fdi file. Thanks

Claudiu Vlad (claudiu-vlad) wrote :

   Please allow me to observe that irexec is working fine with my remote
now, but only as long as irexec is loaded from /etc/rc.local, that is
BEFORE the X system is started.
   So I must insist that a solution should be found that every remote
control like cx88 or such should not be taken over by evdev driver. In
this case we must consider this as a bug. Users should be able to run
irexec in their desktop sessions.
   Cheers,

kaleda (kaledos) wrote :

Winfast DTV2000H is not working also.

lshal has such line:
  input.product = 'cx88 IR (WinFast DTV2000 H ver.' (string)

Panayiotis Savva (psavva) wrote :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
     <match key="info.product" contains_ncase="saa7134 ir">
        <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
     </match>

     <match key="info.product" contains_ncase="cx88 IR">
        <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
     </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

OR (Depending on your distrobution)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
     <match key="info.product" contains_ncase="cx88 IR">
        <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
     </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

In my specific case.. Had the second version... This did not solve my
problem because Interpid (8.10) also loaded the "saa7134 ir" driver which
means that my lircd couldn't get exclusive access. The First version solved
this problem.

Good Luck. Let us know if you get it working ok :)

Panayiotis Savva

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 8:46 PM, kaleda <email address hidden> wrote:

> Winfast DTV2000H is not working also.
>
> lshal has such line:
> input.product = 'cx88 IR (WinFast DTV2000 H ver.' (string)
>
> --
> lirc based applications can not get exclusive access to /dev/input
> interface
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/164627
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Andrés Elizalde (123andres) wrote :

I confirm the bug with Winfast TV 2000 (card=34). Also I can confirm that second solution of Panayiotis Savva solved my problem.
Thanks!

Keithamus (keithamus) wrote :

Can confirm this in intrepid final, nova-t 500 pci.

Can also confirm that Mario Limonciello`s fdi fix works perfectly here.

enolive (enolive) wrote :

I can also confirm this problem with intrepid final, using mac mini IR Remote through the appleir driver (the info.product is just IR Receiver). The fix worked too, but now my Gnome Multimedia Keys won't work anymore for this remote. Any suggestions how to enable BOTH lirc and Gnome Multimedia Keys? In Hardy everything worked fine.

Thomas M. (thomas-moellenhoff) wrote :

having the same bug, hauppauge nova-s plus. unfortunately the lirc.fdi fix didn't work. :(

$ cat /var/log/daemon.log
...
lircd-0.8.3[5864]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
lircd-0.8.3[5864]: initializing '/dev/input/event6'
lircd-0.8.3[5864]: can't get exclusive access to events comming from `/dev/input/event6' interface
lircd-0.8.3[5864]: removed client
lircd-0.8.3[5864]: closing '/dev/input/event6'

$ lshal | grep cx88
info.linux.driver = 'cx88-mpeg driver manager' (string)
info.linux.driver = 'cx88_audio' (string)
info.linux.driver = 'cx8800' (string)
input.product = 'cx88 IR (Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus' (string)
(complete lshal is attached)

Panayiotis Savva (psavva) wrote :

Try this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
     <match key="info.product" contains_ncase="saa7134 ir">
        <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
     </match>

     <match key="info.product" contains_ncase="cx88 IR">
        <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
     </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

Another test, try starting lirc outside of gnome

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Thomas M. <email address hidden> wrote:

> having the same bug, hauppauge nova-s plus. unfortunately the lirc.fdi
> fix didn't work. :(
>
> $ cat /var/log/daemon.log
> ...
> lircd-0.8.3[5864]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
> lircd-0.8.3[5864]: initializing '/dev/input/event6'
> lircd-0.8.3[5864]: can't get exclusive access to events comming from
> `/dev/input/event6' interface
> lircd-0.8.3[5864]: removed client
> lircd-0.8.3[5864]: closing '/dev/input/event6'
>
> $ lshal | grep cx88
> info.linux.driver = 'cx88-mpeg driver manager' (string)
> info.linux.driver = 'cx88_audio' (string)
> info.linux.driver = 'cx8800' (string)
> input.product = 'cx88 IR (Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus' (string)
> (complete lshal is attached)
>
>
> ** Attachment added: "lshal.txt"
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/19435293/lshal.txt
>
> --
> lirc based applications can not get exclusive access to /dev/input
> interface
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/164627
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

tafkaz (zucca-web) wrote :

Hi.
Just updated to intrepid today, and have the same problem.
your fixes all didn't help...
and i can confirm it works perfectly if gnome isn't loaded...
please help.
Thanx
Sascha

tafkaz (zucca-web) wrote :

ups...
now after rebooting the fix worked...
so for me the bug is solved.
i have this in my /usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/20thirdparty/lirc.fdi:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
     <match key="info.product" contains_ncase="saa7134 ir">
        <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
     </match>

     <match key="info.product" contains_ncase="cx88 IR (Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus">
        <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
     </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

thanks for helping !
Sascha

Panayiotis Savva (psavva) wrote :

Maybe it is worth a mention that you need to restart the lirc daemon

sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart

or just simply restart your pc :)

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 12:52 AM, tafkaz <email address hidden> wrote:

> ups...
> now after rebooting the fix worked...
> so for me the bug is solved.
> i have this in my /usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/20thirdparty/lirc.fdi:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
> <device>
> <match key="info.product" contains_ncase="saa7134 ir">
> <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
> </match>
>
> <match key="info.product" contains_ncase="cx88 IR (Hauppauge
> Nova-S-Plus">
> <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
> </match>
> </device>
> </deviceinfo>
>
>
> thanks for helping !
> Sascha
>
> --
> lirc based applications can not get exclusive access to /dev/input
> interface
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/164627
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

tafkaz (zucca-web) wrote :

nope...sinmply restarting the lirc deamon didnt work for me for whatever reason.
I really had to restart the pc...maybe ther's another service involved...mayber restart the hal-deamon ?
cheers
Sascha

Mario Limonciello (superm1) wrote :

bzr revno 45

Changed in lirc:
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
status: Confirmed → Fix Committed
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :
Download full text (7.4 KiB)

This bug was fixed in the package lirc - 0.8.4a-0ubuntu1

---------------
lirc (0.8.4a-0ubuntu1) jaunty; urgency=low

  * New upstream version.
  * Drop no longer necessary patches:
    - 03_extra_files
    - 25_upstream_2.6.27
    - 27_multiple_include
  * Update patches for new version:
    - 12_pvr150_transmit_support
    - 16_lirc_gpio
    - 26_transmitter_lircd.conf
    - 28_irrecord_resume_support
  * New patches:
    - 38_encore_enltv.dpatch (LP: #274087)
  * debian/lirc.fdi:
    - Update FDI file to match a few more remotes reported
      on bugs that work when keyed. (LP: #164627, #204960, #279472)
  * debian/control:
    - Update Recommends for lirc-modules-source
  * debian/lirc.preinst:
    - Remove old calls that will no longer be encountered in package
      upgrades.
  * Merge some packaging changes from Debian. They hadn't done a
    release in a long time, so this will at least get us closer to their
    packaging for an overarching goal of being in sync.
    - Sync'ed changes:
      + debian/compat
      + README.Debian
      + debian/copyright
      + debian/doc-base.lirc
      + debian/liblircclient-dev.install
      + debian/lirc-modules-source.postrm
      + debian/lirc.postrm
      + debian/po
      + debian/lirc-svga.install
      + debian/lirc-svga.links
      + drop debian/lirc.config.in
      + drop debian/lirc.config.md5sum
      + drop debian/lirc.modules
    - Merge debian/control, remaining changes:
      + We don't share same VCS
      + We recommend udev
      + Our lirc-modules-source uses DKMS
    - Merge debian/rules, remaining changes:
      + DKMS support
    - Merge debian/liblircclient0.pc, remaining changes:
      + Version number we have is higher
    - Merge debian/lirc.install, remaining changes:
      + We install udev rules
      + We install an FDI file
    - Merge debian/lirc.templates, remaining changes:
      + Some of our keys are named differently because we differentiate
        between a remote and a transmitter device.
      + We've got some extra keys for details of devices.
    - Merge debian/lirc.init.d, remaining changes:
      + We've pretty much entirely revamped the file. Our deltas will
        need to be submitted incrementally to Debian.
    - Merge debian/lirc.postinst, remaining changes:
      + We've pretty much entirely revamped the file. Our deltas will
        need to be submitted incrementally to Debian.
    - Merge debian/rules, remaining changes:
      + We install a udev rule
      + We install an FDI file
      + We install DKMS support
      + We install transmitter lircd.conf's
      + We Install the remote and transmitter hwdb explicitly
    - Merge patches that we took from debian for 0.8.4 support:
      + debian/patches/02_Makefile.in
      + debian/patches/04_man_pages

lirc (0.8.3-3) unstable; urgency=low

  * update swedish translation, thanks to Martin Bagge <email address hidden>
    (Closes: #491772).
  * add italian debconf translation, thanks to Vincenzo Campanella
    <email address hidden>.
  * silence LIRC_MODE_LIRCCODE log message, as it is not rate limited and
    tends to overflow syslog in case IR receivers get removed without
    stopping lirc or remo...

Read more...

Changed in lirc:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Claudiu Vlad (claudiu-vlad) wrote :
Download full text (7.9 KiB)

Could you please check the patch to include this string also:

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 04:00 +0000, Launchpad Bug Tracker wrote:
> This bug was fixed in the package lirc - 0.8.4a-0ubuntu1
>
> ---------------
> lirc (0.8.4a-0ubuntu1) jaunty; urgency=low
>
> * New upstream version.
> * Drop no longer necessary patches:
> - 03_extra_files
> - 25_upstream_2.6.27
> - 27_multiple_include
> * Update patches for new version:
> - 12_pvr150_transmit_support
> - 16_lirc_gpio
> - 26_transmitter_lircd.conf
> - 28_irrecord_resume_support
> * New patches:
> - 38_encore_enltv.dpatch (LP: #274087)
> * debian/lirc.fdi:
> - Update FDI file to match a few more remotes reported
> on bugs that work when keyed. (LP: #164627, #204960, #279472)
> * debian/control:
> - Update Recommends for lirc-modules-source
> * debian/lirc.preinst:
> - Remove old calls that will no longer be encountered in package
> upgrades.
> * Merge some packaging changes from Debian. They hadn't done a
> release in a long time, so this will at least get us closer to their
> packaging for an overarching goal of being in sync.
> - Sync'ed changes:
> + debian/compat
> + README.Debian
> + debian/copyright
> + debian/doc-base.lirc
> + debian/liblircclient-dev.install
> + debian/lirc-modules-source.postrm
> + debian/lirc.postrm
> + debian/po
> + debian/lirc-svga.install
> + debian/lirc-svga.links
> + drop debian/lirc.config.in
> + drop debian/lirc.config.md5sum
> + drop debian/lirc.modules
> - Merge debian/control, remaining changes:
> + We don't share same VCS
> + We recommend udev
> + Our lirc-modules-source uses DKMS
> - Merge debian/rules, remaining changes:
> + DKMS support
> - Merge debian/liblircclient0.pc, remaining changes:
> + Version number we have is higher
> - Merge debian/lirc.install, remaining changes:
> + We install udev rules
> + We install an FDI file
> - Merge debian/lirc.templates, remaining changes:
> + Some of our keys are named differently because we differentiate
> between a remote and a transmitter device.
> + We've got some extra keys for details of devices.
> - Merge debian/lirc.init.d, remaining changes:
> + We've pretty much entirely revamped the file. Our deltas will
> need to be submitted incrementally to Debian.
> - Merge debian/lirc.postinst, remaining changes:
> + We've pretty much entirely revamped the file. Our deltas will
> need to be submitted incrementally to Debian.
> - Merge debian/rules, remaining changes:
> + We install a udev rule
> + We install an FDI file
> + We install DKMS support
> + We install transmitter lircd.conf's
> + We Install the remote and transmitter hwdb explicitly
> - Merge patches that we took from debian for 0.8.4 support:
> + debian/patches/02_Makefile.in
> + debian/patches/04_man_pages
>
> lirc (0.8.3-3) unstable; urgency=low
>
> * update swedish translation, thanks to Martin Bagge <email address hidden>
>...

Read more...

Claudiu Vlad (claudiu-vlad) wrote :
Download full text (8.1 KiB)

Could you please check the patch to include this string also:

"cx88 IR (Leadtek Winfast 2000XP"

or, better:

"cx88 IR"

And what about pushing this lirc version to intrepid backports ?

Thank you

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 04:00 +0000, Launchpad Bug Tracker wrote:
> This bug was fixed in the package lirc - 0.8.4a-0ubuntu1
>
> ---------------
> lirc (0.8.4a-0ubuntu1) jaunty; urgency=low
>
> * New upstream version.
> * Drop no longer necessary patches:
> - 03_extra_files
> - 25_upstream_2.6.27
> - 27_multiple_include
> * Update patches for new version:
> - 12_pvr150_transmit_support
> - 16_lirc_gpio
> - 26_transmitter_lircd.conf
> - 28_irrecord_resume_support
> * New patches:
> - 38_encore_enltv.dpatch (LP: #274087)
> * debian/lirc.fdi:
> - Update FDI file to match a few more remotes reported
> on bugs that work when keyed. (LP: #164627, #204960, #279472)
> * debian/control:
> - Update Recommends for lirc-modules-source
> * debian/lirc.preinst:
> - Remove old calls that will no longer be encountered in package
> upgrades.
> * Merge some packaging changes from Debian. They hadn't done a
> release in a long time, so this will at least get us closer to their
> packaging for an overarching goal of being in sync.
> - Sync'ed changes:
> + debian/compat
> + README.Debian
> + debian/copyright
> + debian/doc-base.lirc
> + debian/liblircclient-dev.install
> + debian/lirc-modules-source.postrm
> + debian/lirc.postrm
> + debian/po
> + debian/lirc-svga.install
> + debian/lirc-svga.links
> + drop debian/lirc.config.in
> + drop debian/lirc.config.md5sum
> + drop debian/lirc.modules
> - Merge debian/control, remaining changes:
> + We don't share same VCS
> + We recommend udev
> + Our lirc-modules-source uses DKMS
> - Merge debian/rules, remaining changes:
> + DKMS support
> - Merge debian/liblircclient0.pc, remaining changes:
> + Version number we have is higher
> - Merge debian/lirc.install, remaining changes:
> + We install udev rules
> + We install an FDI file
> - Merge debian/lirc.templates, remaining changes:
> + Some of our keys are named differently because we differentiate
> between a remote and a transmitter device.
> + We've got some extra keys for details of devices.
> - Merge debian/lirc.init.d, remaining changes:
> + We've pretty much entirely revamped the file. Our deltas will
> need to be submitted incrementally to Debian.
> - Merge debian/lirc.postinst, remaining changes:
> + We've pretty much entirely revamped the file. Our deltas will
> need to be submitted incrementally to Debian.
> - Merge debian/rules, remaining changes:
> + We install a udev rule
> + We install an FDI file
> + We install DKMS support
> + We install transmitter lircd.conf's
> + We Install the remote and transmitter hwdb explicitly
> - Merge patches that we took from debian for 0.8.4 support:
> + debian/patches/02_Makefile.in
> + debian/patch...

Read more...

Olli (olli-raatikainen) wrote :

Unfortunately the 0.8.4a doesn't help :( I still get the same problem: The ir-receiver of Nova-T 500 doesn't even show up in cat /proc/bus/input/devices and therefore nothing works. I've searched ovet and over, but most lirc problems have gone past this point. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the very basics. Running Mythbuntu 8.10.

Mario Limonciello (superm1) wrote :

Olli:

Post your lshal output.

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:00, Olli <email address hidden> wrote:

> Unfortunately the 0.8.4a doesn't help :( I still get the same problem:
> The ir-receiver of Nova-T 500 doesn't even show up in cat
> /proc/bus/input/devices and therefore nothing works. I've searched ovet
> and over, but most lirc problems have gone past this point.
> Unfortunately I'm stuck with the very basics. Running Mythbuntu 8.10.
>
> --
> lirc based applications can not get exclusive access to /dev/input
> interface
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/164627
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of
> Mythbuntu, which is subscribed to lirc in ubuntu.
>

--
Mario Limonciello
<email address hidden>

Olli (olli-raatikainen) wrote :

Ok, here comes :)

Panayiotis Savva (psavva) wrote :

also send dmesg

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 8:56 PM, Olli <email address hidden> wrote:

> Ok, here comes :)
>
> ** Attachment added: "lshal.txt"
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/19763899/lshal.txt
>
> --
> lirc based applications can not get exclusive access to /dev/input
> interface
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/164627
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Olli (olli-raatikainen) wrote :

Dmesg comes here :)

Ivan Ivanoff (spammeroff) wrote :

After upgrading from 7.10 to 8.10 with absolutely the same configs for lirc, lirc.fdi helps me with my TV tuner Beholder M6 Extra:
03:00.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7131/SAA7133/SAA7135 Video Broadcast Decoder (rev d1)
Besides all I have to replace "IR-Receiver" with "Beholder" in the lirc.fdi file. I am thinking it is not a bug... It is like development.
Maybe it is better to try to configure remotes with HAL? My remote was almost working, but in unusual way: I was able to print numbers and change sound volume... And it was in system like a keyboard - it is so natural.

Mario Limonciello (superm1) wrote :

Hi Ivan:

Please file a separate bug with that same information as this one is
closed. Your post will get lost otherwise. It is a bug in the way the FDI
files are handled, so your extra remote needs to be added to that FDI file.

Regards

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 07:56, Ivan Ivanoff <email address hidden> wrote:

> After upgrading from 7.10 to 8.10 with absolutely the same configs for
> lirc, lirc.fdi helps me with my TV tuner Beholder M6 Extra:
> 03:00.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors
> SAA7131/SAA7133/SAA7135 Video Broadcast Decoder (rev d1)
> Besides all I have to replace "IR-Receiver" with "Beholder" in the lirc.fdi
> file. I am thinking it is not a bug... It is like development.
> Maybe it is better to try to configure remotes with HAL? My remote was
> almost working, but in unusual way: I was able to print numbers and change
> sound volume... And it was in system like a keyboard - it is so natural.
>
> --
> lirc based applications can not get exclusive access to /dev/input
> interface
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/164627
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of
> Mythbuntu, which is subscribed to lirc in ubuntu.
>

--
Mario Limonciello
<email address hidden>

al3xa (aca-blagotic) wrote :

I think I'm suffering from same problem! =D

LIRC just stopped working several days ago, and I found this lines in daemon log:

Mar 28 00:35:26 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Mar 28 00:36:50 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Mar 28 00:38:02 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Mar 28 00:38:11 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: removed client
Mar 28 00:38:20 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Mar 28 00:38:29 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: removed client
Mar 28 00:38:41 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: removed client
Mar 28 00:38:49 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Mar 28 00:38:56 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Mar 28 00:39:03 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: removed client
Mar 28 00:39:09 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Mar 28 00:39:16 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: removed client

Something removes my lirc client constantly! These lines repeat over and over through log!
I've attached lshal output...

Open the File:
* /usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/20thirdparty/lirc.fdi*
Add the following:
*<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
     <match key="info.product" contains_ncase="saa7134 ir">
        <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
     </match>
  </device>
<device>
     <match key="info.product" contains_ncase="saa7130 video">
        <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
     </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>*

You will need to *restart* your pc for this to work.

Good Luck!!!

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:29 AM, k0per.nik <email address hidden> wrote:

> I think I'm suffering from same problem! =D
>
> LIRC just stopped working several days ago, and I found this lines in
> daemon log:
>
> Mar 28 00:35:26 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: accepted new client on
> /dev/lircd
> Mar 28 00:36:50 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: accepted new client on
> /dev/lircd
> Mar 28 00:38:02 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: accepted new client on
> /dev/lircd
> Mar 28 00:38:11 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: removed client
> Mar 28 00:38:20 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: accepted new client on
> /dev/lircd
> Mar 28 00:38:29 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: removed client
> Mar 28 00:38:41 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: removed client
> Mar 28 00:38:49 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: accepted new client on
> /dev/lircd
> Mar 28 00:38:56 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: accepted new client on
> /dev/lircd
> Mar 28 00:39:03 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: removed client
> Mar 28 00:39:09 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: accepted new client on
> /dev/lircd
> Mar 28 00:39:16 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[6481]: removed client
>
> Something removes my lirc client constantly! These lines repeat over and
> over through log!
> I've attached lshal output...
>
> ** Attachment added: "lshal.txt"
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/24465260/lshal.txt
>
> --
> lirc based applications can not get exclusive access to /dev/input
> interface
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/164627
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

al3xa (aca-blagotic) wrote :

Panaiotis, thanx for suggestion, but still no luck!
Nothing happens in 'irw' and lircd daemon is still being removed!
=(

Panayiotis Savva (psavva) wrote :

Try this...

Go to a terminal window.

type :
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Gnome Display Manager will stop

type:
irw

and press buttons on your remote.
This should reveal whether it's other drivers that are loaded in gnome that
are causing the problem.

If you are able to get it to work OK, then maybe I can make another
suggestion

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:31 PM, k0per.nik <email address hidden> wrote:

> Panaiotis, thanx for suggestion, but still no luck!
> Nothing happens in 'irw' and lircd daemon is still being removed!
> =(
>
> --
> lirc based applications can not get exclusive access to /dev/input
> interface
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/164627
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

al3xa (aca-blagotic) wrote :

Well, this command seems to do nothing but stopping GDM from working! When I type 'irw' still nothing happens!
Let me demonstrate you changes in daemon log:

when I type 'sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart' I get:

Mar 30 08:27:39 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[8823]: caught signal
Mar 30 08:27:40 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[9102]: lircd(userspace) ready

then I type 'irexec' and get:

Mar 30 08:27:47 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[9102]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Mar 30 08:27:47 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[9102]: initializing '/dev/input/event6'

then I type 'irw' and get:

Mar 30 08:30:37 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[9102]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd

but when I press buttons on my remote, I still get no output!

Maybe the problem I have is not associated with this bug in any way!

Panayiotis Savva (psavva) wrote :

No it is not after all...
This is the reason we needed to stop GDM... :) To find if this is an
exclusive access problem on gdm or not... Obviously lirc is just not
configured properly.

You are basing your ir remote on event6 (which could change simply by
re-arranging hardware or even on startup...)

What you need to do is reconfigure LIRC.
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

Make sure you select the correct input device for your video card / remote
control.

You are getting an exclusive access problem probably on the wrong hardware
(**event 6)

Try this:

When configuring lirc, ensure that you choose /dev/by-path/pci*****IR**** I
can't remeber the exact path for this setting, but it will come up in the
list when you reconfigure lirc... with ****IR**** I mean to try and find
the device that has the IR specified in it.

Good Luck!

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM, k0per.nik <email address hidden> wrote:

> Well, this command seems to do nothing but stopping GDM from working! When
> I type 'irw' still nothing happens!
> Let me demonstrate you changes in daemon log:
>
> when I type 'sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart' I get:
>
> Mar 30 08:27:39 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[8823]: caught signal
> Mar 30 08:27:40 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[9102]: lircd(userspace) ready
>
> then I type 'irexec' and get:
>
> Mar 30 08:27:47 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[9102]: accepted new client on
> /dev/lircd
> Mar 30 08:27:47 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[9102]: initializing '/dev/input/event6'
>
> then I type 'irw' and get:
>
> Mar 30 08:30:37 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[9102]: accepted new client on
> /dev/lircd
>
> but when I press buttons on my remote, I still get no output!
>
> Maybe the problem I have is not associated with this bug in any way!
>
> --
> lirc based applications can not get exclusive access to /dev/input
> interface
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/164627
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Claudiu Vlad (claudiu-vlad) wrote :

Kopernik, you could try this:

lshal | grep -n5 IR

and look for the /dev/input/somethinglikeevent6

That is your IR receiver device.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Panayiotis Savva <email address hidden> wrote:

> No it is not after all...
> This is the reason we needed to stop GDM... :) To find if this is an
> exclusive access problem on gdm or not... Obviously lirc is just not
> configured properly.
>
> You are basing your ir remote on event6 (which could change simply by
> re-arranging hardware or even on startup...)
>
> What you need to do is reconfigure LIRC.
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc
>
> Make sure you select the correct input device for your video card / remote
> control.
>
> You are getting an exclusive access problem probably on the wrong hardware
> (**event 6)
>
> Try this:
>
> When configuring lirc, ensure that you choose /dev/by-path/pci*****IR****
> I
> can't remeber the exact path for this setting, but it will come up in the
> list when you reconfigure lirc... with ****IR**** I mean to try and find
> the device that has the IR specified in it.
>
> Good Luck!
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM, k0per.nik <email address hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > Well, this command seems to do nothing but stopping GDM from working!
> When
> > I type 'irw' still nothing happens!
> > Let me demonstrate you changes in daemon log:
> >
> > when I type 'sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart' I get:
> >
> > Mar 30 08:27:39 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[8823]: caught signal
> > Mar 30 08:27:40 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[9102]: lircd(userspace) ready
> >
> > then I type 'irexec' and get:
> >
> > Mar 30 08:27:47 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[9102]: accepted new client on
> > /dev/lircd
> > Mar 30 08:27:47 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[9102]: initializing
> '/dev/input/event6'
> >
> > then I type 'irw' and get:
> >
> > Mar 30 08:30:37 gryphon lircd-0.8.3[9102]: accepted new client on
> > /dev/lircd
> >
> > but when I press buttons on my remote, I still get no output!
> >
> > Maybe the problem I have is not associated with this bug in any way!
> >
> > --
> > lirc based applications can not get exclusive access to /dev/input
> > interface
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/164627
> > You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> > of the bug.
> >
>
> --
> lirc based applications can not get exclusive access to /dev/input
> interface
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/164627
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Panayiotis Savva (psavva) wrote :
Download full text (4.7 KiB)

This is an example of what the hardware.conf file should look like.
It can be located at /etc/lirc/hardware.conf

##
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="MSI TV@nywhere Master"
REMOTE_MODULES=""
*REMOTE_DRIVER="devinput"*
*REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:02:01.0--event-ir"*
*REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="msi/lircd.conf.tvanywhere"*
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="None"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Enable lircd
*START_LIRCD="true"*

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD="false"

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
*LOAD_MODULES="true"*

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCMD_CONF=""

#Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
#If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
#that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
#frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
#It will then populate all other variables without any user input
#If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
#to leave this set to "false"
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"
START_LIRCMD=""

##

Please pay special attention to the bold parts... These are normally what
you should take special care to setup correctly as this actually defined
which hardware to use...
instead of using */dev/input/eventX* I have specified the value *
/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:02:01.0--event-ir*
this will allow the inpt device always to be consistent. note that yours
will be different. just check in the path what you have and replace the one
i supplied with yours.

also note that you will also need to setup the actual remote if it's not
available on lirc.

irrecord is the command to do this with.. It's an easy setup with irrecord.

Good luck!!!!

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Claudiu Vlad <email address hidden>wrote:

> Kopernik, you could try this:
>
> lshal | grep -n5 IR
>
> and look for the /dev/input/somethinglikeevent6
>
> That is your IR receiver device.
>
>
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Panayiotis Savva <email address hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > No it is not after all...
> > This is the reason we needed to stop GDM... :) To find if this is an
> > exclusive access problem on gdm or not... Obviously lirc is just not
> > configured properly.
> >
> > You are basing your ir remote on event6 (which could change simply by
> > re-arranging hardware or even on startup...)
> >
> > What you need to do is reconfigure LIRC.
> > sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc
> >
> > Make sure you select the correct input device for your video card /
> remote
> > control.
> >
> > You are getting an exclusive access problem probably on the wrong
> hardware
> > (**event 6)
> >
> > Try this:
> >
> > When configuring lirc, ensure that you choose /dev/by-path/pci*****IR****
> > I
> > can't remeber the exact path for this setting, but it will come up in the
> > list when you reconfigure lirc... with ****IR**** I mean to try and
> find
> > the device that has the IR specified in it.
> >
> > Good Luck!
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM, k...

Read more...

Dmitry Zotikov (xio) wrote :

Same for me,

info.product = 'Twinhan Tech Remote Control'

Works with

     <match key="info.product" contains_ncase="Twinhan Tech Remote Control">
        <merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
     </match>

in /usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/20thirdparty/lirc.fdi AND irexec launched before X/GDM.

Cheers!

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers