Ubuntu

[Feisty/Gutsy] Keyboard repeats keystrokes like tttthiiiiiiiiiiiissss

Reported by Michael Katz on 2007-03-31
26
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

After doing the major update after a fresh installation of Feisty Fawn beta, the keyboard became messed up. The keyboard now repeats keystrokes for too long. Example: My login name is michaeka, and it becomes mmmmiiiiccchhhhhaaaaaaeeeekkkkaaaa when typing it. Also, there is sometimes a delay before the letter appears on the screen after typing.

Note that this is not a problem when using the keyboard in console (recovery mode), nor was it a problem with a fresh Feisty installation before updating the system.

This bug must be fixed before the final release of Feisty Fawn!

Keyboard: Logitech Internet Keyboard
Kernel: 2.6.20-13-generic

Michael Katz (miceagol) on 2007-03-31
description: updated

This is a VAB: Very Annoying Bug. In fact, i don't know if it's only one bug. Sometimes I have a delay, sometimes I have the keystrokes repeat. How can we help solve this (or these) bug(s) ?

ozstriker78 (ozstriker78) wrote :

I am having the same issue with my r40e. The keyboard is very unstable. It's very inconsistent and unusable. I get see flapping between character repeats in spurts of about 5, keys not functioning, to delayed reactions. The mouse buttons and pointer act very unstable. The mouse is jumpy and sometimes the mouse buttons don't work, but other times it works fine.

If you need more info, I'm glad to give it to you.

I didn't have this problem with previous releases, just this beta version with the latest feisty kernel as of this posting.

Thanks!

ozstriker78 (ozstriker78) wrote :

Ok, so I have been debugging this and I have more to add....

With the latest current kernel (2.6.20.14) under normal boot up, this happens. So I tried starting it up in rescue mode and played around with some of the services to see which one was the culprit. The 2 services (start up scripts) that seem to effect it is a combination of acpid and dbus init scripts.

If you dont start either one, then the problem goes away.
if you start one and not the other, the problem goes away
If you start both, the problem comes back, but only if acpid is started before the dbus init script (dbus before acpid doesn't cause the bug to appear)

Also, acpid takes a very long time to start. the dbus init script then takes a long time to start on the hald portion. But, if the dbus script is started before the acpid script, then it starts normaly, and it doesn't pause on starting hald.

I'm not sure where the bug lies in acpid or the dbus init scripts, but if you reverse the start order, the problem goes away.

FeuerFrei (trej03) wrote :

I think the problem lies within a TSC compatibility problem with multi-core processors with independant core clocking. it seems that frequency scaling is improperly registered by the kernel, and causes bugs such as this one and bug 64325 with Konqueror. To solve it, just add "notsc" to your boot kernel parameters, or compile a kernel without the TSC components

FeuerFrei

I have a comparable Error.

I use a Thinkpad A 31

After a few Seconds of Typing The keyboard goes weird and writing is a comparable Pain
like using ED as a Editor.

i had the same issue with Dapper Drake.
The Installation is fresh, i only mounted my /home from the old Edgy Eft Installation.

It has also nothing to do with the Window Manager it´s the same Catastrophy in Gnome and KDE

Linux Denkbrett 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP Sun Apr 15 07:36:31 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

Starting Daemons

apm
acpi
avahi
apache2
anacron
dbus
gdm
hdparm
cups
cupsys
hplip
hotkey setup
a**ort
powernowd

kde-guidance

klogd
syslogd

ozstriker78 (ozstriker78) wrote :

I tried appending notsc to my kernel parameter list and the system didn't boot. It got stuck really early in the boot process. My systems is a basic pentium 4, single core. so I don't understand why that would keep my system from booting. Do you have any other ideas?

Arno Fiva (fivaa) wrote :

I am having the same issues with a logitech g15 keyboard since I updated to Feisty Fawn. Never had problems using Dapper Drake. Actually the problem already occured when I used the 7.04 LiveCD.

Adding notsc also prevented my system from booting on a core2 processor.

I would really appreciate any help on this since it really is an annoying bug! Let me know if I you need more information...

In my Case the Problem was fixed when i deinstalled the IBM Thinkpad Drivers and Thinkpad Tools.

SInce this i had no problem any more. But it´s anoying related to the Thinkpad Tools they worked without Problem on Edgy. That makes me wonder

Charles Perreault (muganor) wrote :

I think the original bug report is about every key being repeated many times, while under X. The bug #92594 is about an intermittent key repeat problem, whiiiiiiiich happens from time to time also under X. I wonder how they might be related or not.

Well it is intermittent, but sometimes you get no response at all from the
keyboard. Also, the mouse os very choppy, and is also unresponsive at
times.

On 5/17/07, Charles Perreault <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> I think the original bug report is about every key being repeated many
> times, while under X. The bug #92594 is about an intermittent key
> repeat problem, whiiiiiiiich happens from time to time also under X. I
> wonder how they might be related or not.
>
> --
> [Feisty] Keyboard repeats keystrokes like tttthiiiiiiiiiiiissss
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/99356
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

I don't think I have the same exact bug as yours so most of my futttttttture posts will be in bug #92594. But if any of you wish ttttttttto try the "notsc" boot option, you may rather use "clocksource=acpi_pm" which also disables the TSC but just... works ! I'm currently writing this post using the acpi_pm clocksource, but it did not resolve my keyboard repeat rate problem. Good luck.

Ian Johnston (ian-orbister) wrote :

I have just given up trying to install Feisty on my Thinkpad R403 (2684) as a result of similar bugs. Symptoms were ...

1) Inordinately long delay at ACPI on boot (from CD)

2) Inordinately long delay at hald on boot

3) During the install process, the trackpoint started behaving erratically

4) So did the keyboard: no gratuitous repeats, but some keys died from time to time

5) Install hung solid at the "gathering information about filesystem" stage.

For the moment, then, I'll stick with Dapper on this machine.

You could try the "noacpi" boot option, just to see what happens. If it
works better, file an acpi bug.

Ian Johnston wrote:
> I have just given up trying to install Feisty on my Thinkpad R403 (2684)
> as a result of similar bugs. Symptoms were ...
>
> 1) Inordinately long delay at ACPI on boot (from CD)
>
> 2) Inordinately long delay at hald on boot
>
> 3) During the install process, the trackpoint started behaving
> erratically
>
> 4) So did the keyboard: no gratuitous repeats, but some keys died from
> time to time
>
> 5) Install hung solid at the "gathering information about filesystem"
> stage.

Hi guys!

Have exactly the same problems as Ian Johnston on my R40e with Feisty.

Please, let me know, if find a solution. I am trying to do the things you mentioned in discussion.

Let you know about the progress (if any). :-)

Best

Artem

archie (abadasyan) wrote :

My specifications:

IBM Thinkpad R40e (model 2684 - H8U)
Intel Celeron (M) 2GHz
1 Gb RAM
Clean Feisty install from official release CD (not a dist-upgrade)

Same repeat problem if boot from Edgy Eft CD.

On my desktop machine Edgy was installed, then I upgraded to Feisty, having no problem at all.

Problems are only with the laptop. Therefore I think it is something hardware specific, not to blame Feisty.

Anyway, are there any ideas what to do?

Ian Johnston (ian-orbister) wrote :

I have Dapper running on my R40e with no problems at all, so I'm pretty sure it is something to do with Feisty.

archie (abadasyan) wrote :

I did not try Dapper, only Edgy and Feisty. If you say Dapper is ok on R40e, it probably means that something began going wild from Edgy and was transfered to Feisty as well.

Anyway, as I said, I do not have any problem with Feisty on desktop machine.

Thanks for the information, I'll try Dapper!

All the best!

This was the best description that I've heard of in terms of my problem.
This is exactly what I am experiencing and the noacpi option did not solve
my problem. I even tried the notsc option, which prevented the laptop from
booting. I'll try clocksource=acpi_pm and see what happens.

-Rich

On 5/18/07, Charles Perreault <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> You could try the "noacpi" boot option, just to see what happens. If it
> works better, file an acpi bug.
>
> Ian Johnston wrote:
> > I have just given up trying to install Feisty on my Thinkpad R403 (2684)
> > as a result of similar bugs. Symptoms were ...
> >
> > 1) Inordinately long delay at ACPI on boot (from CD)
> >
> > 2) Inordinately long delay at hald on boot
> >
> > 3) During the install process, the trackpoint started behaving
> > erratically
> >
> > 4) So did the keyboard: no gratuitous repeats, but some keys died from
> > time to time
> >
> > 5) Install hung solid at the "gathering information about filesystem"
> > stage.
>
> --
> [Feisty] Keyboard repeats keystrokes like tttthiiiiiiiiiiiissss
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/99356
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

I've the same problem on many [old] pc in a school lab using 7.04: under heavy load they begin to repeat/lost keys and bbbbegiiiinnn maaaaad :(

no solution?

I don't know of any official solution, sorry. But I'm running a 2.6.22
kernel recompiled from the gutsy sources with the restricted modules and
I'm not experiencing the bug anymore, and previously I couldn't finish a
sentence without seeing it twice or more.

I suggest you dist-upgrade one of your lab PC to gutsy, solve any little
upgrade problem, and watch how it goes. There might be a big chance
that the problem was a little regression that was quickly fixed in gutsy
but never made its way back in backports. And if it is truly a kernel
issue, then only dist-upgrading or custom compiling will fix it.

I found out, it is acpi. My laptop bios does not support acpi control.
It is advance power control scheme/module. Dont know great details
about it :-)
Solution I found for myself is to turn out acpi daemon. Battery control
doesnt work, but repeats dissappeared. I installed xubuntu, there is so
called gnome-power-manager instead of acpi, no repeat problems. Battery
applet doesnt work, anyway. Good news if problem was solved in Gutsy,
waiting for final release.

mciancio wrote:
> I've the same problem on many [old] pc in a school lab using 7.04: under
> heavy load they begin to repeat/lost keys and bbbbegiiiinnn maaaaad :(
>
> no solution?
>
>

Happy to hear that, but I doubt your laptop does not support ACPI. The
proof is you can't read your battery power level, and that's an ACPI
feature. If you could ever do that then ACPI is supported, even if the
BIOS does not mention it because it just won't allow you to disable it.
Laptop BIOS never allow much configuration anyway.

This looks more like a bug in the userspace daemon (acpid) than the
kernel ACPI or your laptop (note that a few laptops have bad acpi i.e.
not standard, like my old Toshiba Satellite). Turning off the deamon
does not turn off the kernel ACPI support, which is still running in the
background. If your laptop really had trouble with ACPI, you would need
to pass the "noacpi" switch to the kernel at boot time.

Still it's good to know that turning off the daemon works for some.

archie wrote:
> I found out, it is acpi. My laptop bios does not support acpi control.
> It is advance power control scheme/module. Dont know great details
> about it :-)
> Solution I found for myself is to turn out acpi daemon. Battery control
> doesnt work, but repeats dissappeared. I installed xubuntu, there is so
> called gnome-power-manager instead of acpi, no repeat problems. Battery
> applet doesnt work, anyway. Good news if problem was solved in Gutsy,
> waiting for final release.
>
> mciancio wrote:
>
>> I've the same problem on many [old] pc in a school lab using 7.04: under
>> heavy load they begin to repeat/lost keys and bbbbegiiiinnn maaaaad :(
>>
>> no solution?
>>
>>
>>
>
>

It's not fixed in Gutsy. I have the same issue still. I went ahead and
upgraded to Gutsy thinking it would get fixed, but it didn't.

-Rick

Charles Perreault (muganor) wrote :

Ok, then as I don't see this bug anymore, I won't be of much help
because I can't test solutions anymore. A newer kernel seemed to have
fixed it. But I can still suggest a few things.

Rick (ozstriker78) and others, you could try disabling the ACPI
monitoring like archie suggested in two steps :

1- Edit /etc/default/acpid and change monitoring modules to none :
MODULES="none"
instead of
MODULES="all"

Reboot and watch.

2- If the bug persists, try uninstallinig acpid (take note of other
metapackages that might be uninstalled in case you with to reinstall
them later). Reboot again and watch.

3- If the bug persists, then it's not acpid's fault : reinstall the
removed packages and change back monitoring to "all" as ACPI is very
useful in PC nowadays, especially laptops.

Please post your results, both positive and negative, here.

- Charles

ozstriker78 (ozstriker78) wrote :

I went ahead and followed this troubleshooting recommendation for
completeness, but it didn't solve the problem.

After playing around with it some more, I have figured out that it has to do
with interaction with the acpi interface. Here is my reasoning....

1. acpi=off in the kernel parameters seems stops the bug.
2. when acpi is on, acpi is off and hal is off, the bug stops.
3. if either hal or acpid is on when acpi is enabled into the kernel, the
bug is present (both acpid and hal interact with the kernel's acpi
interface)
4. When I simply "cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/status" the bug uncovers
itself and is reproducable.

This indicates that the bug is definitely in the kernel acpi interface when
ever there is some sort of interaction with it. Since hal and acpid both
poll/interact with it, the bug is produced.

Do you have any idea as to why the kernel acpi drivers/modules/interface is
doing this when I poll anything in /proc/acpi ? If we fix that, then I
think we will fix this bug.

For what it's worth, I'm a Senior Linux SA, however I don't have much
experience with the ACPI kernel interface, so any advanced requests you may
have would be okay.

-Rick

I have installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04, without any changes. Didn't
compile myself, etc... All default. Then using apt-get, installed xfce
on top of it. To avoid repeat bug, turned off acpid, and turned on apmd
in Xfce Menu--> System--> Services. Now repeat bug disappeared, but
battery applet shows 50% of battery all the time. Even if new battery is
attached and filled. I DID NOT SUGGEST to do so to anybody else, neither
I can take on the responsibility for others, since I am noob myself :-)
This was just the information on what I have done.
Good luck and please let me know, if solution is found to make battery
applet working.

Archie

ozstriker78 wrote:
> I went ahead and followed this troubleshooting recommendation for
> completeness, but it didn't solve the problem.
>
> After playing around with it some more, I have figured out that it has to do
> with interaction with the acpi interface. Here is my reasoning....
>
> 1. acpi=off in the kernel parameters seems stops the bug.
> 2. when acpi is on, acpi is off and hal is off, the bug stops.
> 3. if either hal or acpid is on when acpi is enabled into the kernel, the
> bug is present (both acpid and hal interact with the kernel's acpi
> interface)
> 4. When I simply "cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/status" the bug uncovers
> itself and is reproducable.
>
> This indicates that the bug is definitely in the kernel acpi interface when
> ever there is some sort of interaction with it. Since hal and acpid both
> poll/interact with it, the bug is produced.
>
> Do you have any idea as to why the kernel acpi drivers/modules/interface is
> doing this when I poll anything in /proc/acpi ? If we fix that, then I
> think we will fix this bug.
>
> For what it's worth, I'm a Senior Linux SA, however I don't have much
> experience with the ACPI kernel interface, so any advanced requests you may
> have would be okay.
>
> -Rick
>
>

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Now I'm trying the following workarounds in my school labs:

1) disabled acpid daemon in user space (but /usr/lib/hal/hald-addon-acpi is on)
2) increased repeat keystrokes delay
3) disabled many unuseful sw which overloaded the host

sorry, I know that many different operation in one time doesn't help in
discover the bug... but I'm in a hurry to resolve it.

next days I'll let you know if the problem persists or not.

bye

Download full text (65.7 KiB)

Yes I forgot to mention trying to boot with the noacpi switch, but I
didn't think that would be the problem. But your experiments are very
clear and show there's a problem inside the kernel ACPI implementation
at some point. By the past I worked in the AMD_K8 cpufreq driver and
the ACPI implementation was faulty both in the kernel and in my laptop
bios, so no big surprise. I had to disable every part of ACPI in the
driver, and I'm still using my custom driver to get frequency scaling to
work on my Turion cpu.

I'm currently using feisty with a 2.6.22-rc3 custom kernel and the bug
disappeared, but if I boot with any default ubuntu kernel (feisty or
gutsy) the bug reappears, so I think I disabled something in my custom
kernel that fixed it, at least for my computer. acpid and hal are both
running too. I've attached my config file so you may try to compile a
similar kernel yourself, and see how it goes. I don't remember
everything I changed back then, but I'm pretty sure I disabled SMP. Or
if you wan't to download the compiled kernel with all the restricted
modules (nvidia, ati, etc), I can put them on my web server public
folder. I'll need to recompile the whole thing as I patched the kernel
with my own cpufreq driver, so my binary will fry any k8 cpu that's not
a Turion MT-40.

- Charles

#
# Automatically generated make config: don't edit
# Linux kernel version: 2.6.22-rc3-turion
# Fri Jun 29 04:35:10 2007
#
CONFIG_X86_32=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_TIME=y
CONFIG_CLOCKSOURCE_WATCHDOG=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS_BROADCAST=y
CONFIG_LOCKDEP_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_STACKTRACE_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_SEMAPHORE_SLEEPERS=y
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_MMU=y
CONFIG_ZONE_DMA=y
CONFIG_QUICKLIST=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_IOMAP=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_BUG=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_HWEIGHT=y
CONFIG_ARCH_MAY_HAVE_PC_FDC=y
CONFIG_DMI=y
CONFIG_DEFCONFIG_LIST="/lib/modules/$UNAME_RELEASE/.config"

#
# Code maturity level options
#
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_BROKEN_ON_SMP=y
CONFIG_INIT_ENV_ARG_LIMIT=32

#
# General setup
#
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=""
# CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is not set
# CONFIG_SWAP is not set
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
# CONFIG_IPC_NS is not set
CONFIG_SYSVIPC_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_POSIX_MQUEUE=y
CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT=y
CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT_V3=y
# CONFIG_TASKSTATS is not set
# CONFIG_UTS_NS is not set
CONFIG_AUDIT=y
# CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL is not set
# CONFIG_IKCONFIG is not set
CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT=15
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y
# CONFIG_RELAY is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE=""
# CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE is not set
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
# CONFIG_EMBEDDED is not set
CONFIG_UID16=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL_SYSCALL=y
CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y
# CONFIG_KALLSYMS_EXTRA_PASS is not set
CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_PRINTK=y
CONFIG_BUG=y
CONFIG_ELF_CORE=y
CONFIG_BASE_FULL=y
CONFIG_FUTEX=y
CONFIG_ANON_INODES=y
CONFIG_EPOLL=y
CONFIG_SIGNALFD=y
CONFIG_TIMERFD=y
CONFIG_EVENTFD=y
CONFIG_SHMEM=y
CONFIG_VM_EVENT_COUNTERS=y
CONFIG_SLAB=y
# CONFIG_SLUB is not set
# CONFIG_SLOB is not set
CONFIG_RT_MUTEXES=y
# CONFIG_TINY_SHMEM is not set
CONFIG_BASE_SMALL=0

#
# Loadable module support
#
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD=y
# CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_U...

ozstriker78 (ozstriker78) wrote :

I found out how to fix this and get acpi fully working with all acpi
drivers/modules...

You have to put this into your kernel options "ec_intr=0"

I found this in the ubuntu forums...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=402926&highlight=acpi+thinkpad

By the way, this bug also happens in Gutsy, and also fixes in Gutsy.

Good Luck!

I'll try this "ec_intr=0".

In the meanwhile this three actions worked for me:

1) disabled acpid daemon in user space (but /usr/lib/hal/hald-addon-acpi is on)
2) increased repeat keystrokes delay
3) disabled many unuseful sw which overloaded the host

and the problem is disappeared.

Bye

Adding "ec_intr=0" into menu.lst file from grub folder worked for me as yet
on
IBM Thinkpad R40e with Feisty Fawn.

Thanks!

archie

I have had this problem on Feisty, Gutsy, and even once already on Hardy. It comes and it goes, but thankfully my keyboard input is fine > 99% of the time now. I am on an AMD X2 desktop, by the way.

wolfger (wolfger) wrote :

The problem has suddenly gotten much worse for me. What packages updated this weekend???????????????? Only thing I can recall seeing other than KDE4 stuff (and I am having this problem uuuuuuuuuuuuuunder KDE 3.5 as well) is xorg-server.

Strange enough, I only have this annoying repeat at login screen. Never
elsewhere.
Once more, my machine is IBM Thinkpad R40e laptop with Ubuntu Feisty.
My another machine, a desktop, that runned same Feisty, and now Gutsy, never
ever had this problem.

lol, it's a second year we file this bug and none responds. Is this a wrong
place to write about bugs or what? If it is, please tell us, where shall we
write to get response.

archie

=========================================================
>From: wolfger <email address hidden>
>Reply-To: Bug 99356 <email address hidden>
>To: <email address hidden>
>Subject: [Bug 99356] Re: [Feisty/Gutsy] Keyboard repeats keystrokes
>liketttthiiiiiiiiiiiissss
>Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:00:35 -0000
>
>** Changed in: xorg-server (Ubuntu)
>Sourcepackagename: None => xorg-server
>
>--
>[Feisty/Gutsy] Keyboard repeats keystrokes like tttthiiiiiiiiiiiissss
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/99356
>You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>of the bug.

Timo Aaltonen (tjaalton) wrote :

I've seen this on my laptop (thinkpad T23), but not since gutsy. Seems like a kernel problem anyway.

archie (abadasyan) wrote :

Now on gutsy I experience it only at login. And never else.

>From: Timo Aaltonen <email address hidden>
>Reply-To: Bug 99356 <email address hidden>
>To: <email address hidden>
>Subject: [Bug 99356] Re: [Feisty/Gutsy] Keyboard repeats keystrokes
>liketttthiiiiiiiiiiiissss
>Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 09:03:54 -0000
>
>I've seen this on my laptop (thinkpad T23), but not since gutsy. Seems
>like a kernel problem anyway.
>
>** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
>Sourcepackagename: xorg-server => linux
>
>--
>[Feisty/Gutsy] Keyboard repeats keystrokes like tttthiiiiiiiiiiiissss
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/99356
>You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>of the bug.

For those who still experience this issue, the Hardy Heron Alpha series is currently under development and contains an updated version of the kernel. It would be helpful if you could test the latest Hardy Alpha release: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing . You should be able to then test the new kernel via the LiveCD. If you can, please verify if this bug still exists or not and report back your results. Thanks.

Changed in linux:
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Cruncher (ubuntu-wkresse) wrote :

Please also look at bug #124406 which seems to describe the same problem. A kernel upgrade to 2.6.24-2.386 fixed it for some people.

The Ubuntu Kernel Team is planning to move to the 2.6.27 kernel for the upcoming Intrepid Ibex 8.10 release. As a result, the kernel team would appreciate it if you could please test this newer 2.6.27 Ubuntu kernel. There are one of two ways you should be able to test:

1) If you are comfortable installing packages on your own, the linux-image-2.6.27-* package is currently available for you to install and test.

--or--

2) The upcoming Alpha5 for Intrepid Ibex 8.10 will contain this newer 2.6.27 Ubuntu kernel. Alpha5 is set to be released Thursday Sept 4. Please watch http://www.ubuntu.com/testing for Alpha5 to be announced. You should then be able to test via a LiveCD.

Please let us know immediately if this newer 2.6.27 kernel resolves the bug reported here or if the issue remains. More importantly, please open a new bug report for each new bug/regression introduced by the 2.6.27 kernel and tag the bug report with 'linux-2.6.27'. Also, please specifically note if the issue does or does not appear in the 2.6.26 kernel. Thanks again, we really appreicate your help and feedback.

wolfger (wolfger) wrote :

I have not tested on Intrepid yet, but I have never had this issue since moving to Hardy, and I see nobody here has said the problem still exists since the 2008-03-07 comment about Hardy Alpha. I think it's fixed. Anybody care to second that?

I will try tonight

On 10/15/08, wolfger <email address hidden> wrote:
> I have not tested on Intrepid yet, but I have never had this issue since
> moving to Hardy, and I see nobody here has said the problem still exists
> since the 2008-03-07 comment about Hardy Alpha. I think it's fixed.
> Anybody care to second that?
>
> --
> [Feisty/Gutsy] Keyboard repeats keystrokes like tttthiiiiiiiiiiiissss
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/99356
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Sent from Google Mail for mobile | mobile.google.com

ozstriker78 (ozstriker78) wrote :

Ya its not happening for me anymore on the latest version of hardy
with all updates up until now.

It's too bad it took an upgrade of the OS to fix this bug.

On 10/15/08, wolfger <email address hidden> wrote:
> I have not tested on Intrepid yet, but I have never had this issue since
> moving to Hardy, and I see nobody here has said the problem still exists
> since the 2008-03-07 comment about Hardy Alpha. I think it's fixed.
> Anybody care to second that?
>
> --
> [Feisty/Gutsy] Keyboard repeats keystrokes like tttthiiiiiiiiiiiissss
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/99356
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Sent from Google Mail for mobile | mobile.google.com

Ian Johnston (ian-orbister) wrote :

wolfger wrote:
> I have not tested on Intrepid yet, but I have never had this issue since
> moving to Hardy, and I see nobody here has said the problem still exists
> since the 2008-03-07 comment about Hardy Alpha. I think it's fixed.
> Anybody care to second that?

Yup. My Thinkpad R40e runs Hardy without problems.

Ian

usr (oesterle-matthias) wrote :

I still have this bug in Hardy. Single Keystrokes appear delayed on screen and they are sometimes displayed repeated. This Problem occures not at startup, but when the system runs for about one or two hours.
I`m not sure if it`s the same problem described in this bug but it seems very similar.

Matthias

ozstriker78 (ozstriker78) wrote :

Ok I will let mine run for a few hours and get back to you.

On 10/16/08, usr <email address hidden> wrote:
> I still have this bug in Hardy. Single Keystrokes appear delayed on screen
> and they are sometimes displayed repeated. This Problem occures not at
> startup, but when the system runs for about one or two hours.
> I`m not sure if it`s the same problem described in this bug but it seems
> very similar.
>
> Matthias
>
> --
> [Feisty/Gutsy] Keyboard repeats keystrokes like tttthiiiiiiiiiiiissss
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/99356
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Sent from Google Mail for mobile | mobile.google.com

wolfger (wolfger) wrote :

Actually, I have to retract my statement. Hardy recently updated the linux headers I believe, and after a power outage last night, I am seeing the problem again today. I can't positively link this to the last update, but it smells like a regressiooooooooooooooon to me.

Ian Johnston (ian-orbister) wrote :

wolfger wrote:
> Actually, I have to retract my statement. Hardy recently updated the
> linux headers I believe, and after a power outage last night, I am
> seeing the problem again today. I can't positively link this to the last
> update, but it smells like a regressiooooooooooooooon to me.
>
>
I'm writing this on the R40e which had this problem with Feisty. It's
running bang-spang up-to-date Hardy without problems.

Ian

usr (oesterle-matthias) wrote :

The Problem seems to be fixed for me in Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10
matthias

wolfger (wolfger) wrote :

Now on Intrepid, I haven't seen the problem here yet.

ozstriker78 (ozstriker78) wrote :

Me neither

On 11/4/08, wolfger <email address hidden> wrote:
> Now on Intrepid, I haven't seen the problem here yet.
>
> --
> [Feisty/Gutsy] Keyboard repeats keystrokes like tttthiiiiiiiiiiiissss
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/99356
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Sent from Google Mail for mobile | mobile.google.com

Per the last few comments I'm marking this "Fix Released" for Intrepid. Thanks.

Changed in linux:
status: Incomplete → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers