Black screen at boot on Thinkpad L520

Bug #924989 reported by Vince on 2012-02-01
30
This bug affects 5 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux (Ubuntu)
Medium
Leann Ogasawara

Bug Description

This is a regression in the 3.2 kernel that I already reported upstream :

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2012-January/014316.html

A fix was found and tested, integrated into linux master (commit 7885d2052bd94395e337709cfba093a41f273ff1), it would be nice to have this backported to the Ubuntu kernel package else the LTS release will be unusable on this laptop.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
Package: linux-image-3.2.0-12-generic 3.2.0-12.21
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-12.21-hostnameric 3.2.2
Uname: Linux 3.2.0-12-generic x86_64
AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
AplayDevices: aplay: device_list:242: no soundcards found...
ApportVersion: 1.91-0ubuntu1
Architecture: amd64
ArecordDevices: arecord: device_list:242: no soundcards found...
AudioDevicesInUse: Error: command ['fuser', '-v', '/dev/snd/controlC0', '/dev/snd/hwC0D0', '/dev/snd/hwC0D3', '/dev/snd/pcmC0D0c', '/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p', '/dev/snd/pcmC0D3p', '/dev/snd/pcmC0D7p', '/dev/snd/pcmC0D8p', '/dev/snd/by-path', '/dev/snd/controlC29', '/dev/snd/seq', '/dev/snd/timer'] failed with exit code 1:
Date: Wed Feb 1 18:00:52 2012
HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=ccbe10cf-22a0-4681-9359-e62b7c7d15f9
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Alpha amd64 (20110803.1)
MachineType: LENOVO 78595AG
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=en_US:en
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/zsh
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-12-hostnameric root=UUID=01f7e6be-9fda-43b1-803e-da337f6d0a03 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
PulseSinks: Error: command ['pacmd', 'list-sinks'] failed with exit code 1: No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
PulseSources: Error: command ['pacmd', 'list-sources'] failed with exit code 1: No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
RelatedPackageVersions:
 linux-restricted-modules-3.2.0-12-generic N/A
 linux-backports-modules-3.2.0-12-generic N/A
 linux-firmware 1.68
SourcePackage: linux
StagingDrivers: rts_pstor mei
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to precise on 2011-08-10 (175 days ago)
dmi.bios.date: 11/04/2011
dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.bios.version: 8GET38WW (1.15 )
dmi.board.name: 78595AG
dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.board.version: Not Available
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr8GET38WW(1.15):bd11/04/2011:svnLENOVO:pn78595AG:pvrThinkPadL520:rvnLENOVO:rn78595AG:rvrNotAvailable:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
dmi.product.name: 78595AG
dmi.product.version: ThinkPad L520
dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO

Vince (vincent-vanackere) wrote :
summary: - Blank screen at boot on Thinkpad L520
+ Black screen at boot on Thinkpad L520
Brad Figg (brad-figg) on 2012-02-01
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury) wrote :

Would it be possible to test the latest mainline kernel to see if the issue is fixed? Refer to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds.

The latest mainline kernel is available from:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.3-rc2-precise/

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
tags: added: kernel-da-key
Vince (vincent-vanackere) wrote :

Yes latest mainline fixes the issue.

Note that I already attached the exact patch integrated upstream that solves the issue. It would be nice to have this patch integrated into the precise kernel.

Vince (vincent-vanackere) wrote :

Also you may want to raise the severity of this bug as it makes precise currently completely unusable on all computers that are affected...

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Leann Ogasawara (leannogasawara)
status: Confirmed → In Progress

Hi Vince,

Thanks for the reference to the upstream patch. I've built a Precise test kernel with it applied. Could you please test and let me know your results. I can then commit this to our Ubuntu Precise repo. Test kernel can be found at the following location:

http://people.canonical.com/~ogasawara/lp924989/amd64/

Also, do you know if this patch has been sent to upstream stable? It would be good to have it in an upcoming v3.2.y release.

tags: added: rls-p-tracking

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 15:35, Leann Ogasawara
<email address hidden> wrote:
> Hi Vince,
>
> Thanks for the reference to the upstream patch.  I've built a Precise
> test kernel with it applied.  Could you please test and let me know your
> results.  I can then commit this to our Ubuntu Precise repo.  Test
> kernel can be found at the following location:
>
> http://people.canonical.com/~ogasawara/lp924989/amd64/

Yes, this test kernel works fine for me.

> Also, do you know if this patch has been sent to upstream stable?  It
> would be good to have it in an upcoming v3.2.y release.

I fully agree the patch should be in a v3.2.y release but don't know
if it's been submitted yet...
CC'ing Jesse Barnes (the original author of the patch) in case he may
know if his patch "drm/i915: mask transcoder select bits before
setting them on LVDS" is scheduled for a stable release.

Vincent

Thanks for the quick testing feedback. I've applied this to the Precise Ubuntu kernel repo. It should be available in the next upload.

Let me know if you hear back regarding the patch being sent to upstream stable. If it hasn't, I'm happy to help submit it.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
tags: added: patch
Stephen Rees-Carter (valorin) wrote :

I have two bugs related to the Thinkpad L520 not being able to boot. I assume this bug would be the same as one, or maybe even both, of them. It's very frustrating and I'd like to get it fixed since my machine still isn't 100% usable.

Can you confirm which of these it is, so they can be marked as duplicate?

Graphics Issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/912992
'noapic' boot flag needed: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/903558

Vince (vincent-vanackere) wrote :

Le 2 févr. 2012 22:55, "Stephen Rees-Carter" <email address hidden> a écrit :
>
> I have two bugs related to the Thinkpad L520 not being able to boot. I
> assume this bug would be the same as one, or maybe even both, of them.
> It's very frustrating and I'd like to get it fixed since my machine
> still isn't 100% usable.
>
> Can you confirm which of these it is, so they can be marked as
> duplicate?
>
> Graphics Issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/912992

This is definitely a duplicate.

> 'noapic' boot flag needed: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/903558

No idea about this one. You might want to test the fixed kernel at
http://people.canonical.com/~ogasawara/lp924989/amd64/ however...

Stephen Rees-Carter (valorin) wrote :

Ok, I've just tested and the issue I reported in Bug #912992 is fixed by the kernel you linked.
It sounds like Kernel 3.3 will have a fix in it, see comment #30 on that bug.

Regarding my 'noapic' issues, I am still experiencing that one. (Bug #903558)

You obviously don't have this issue on your Thinkpad L520?
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package linux - 3.2.0-13.22

---------------
linux (3.2.0-13.22) precise; urgency=low

  [ Alex Deucher ]

  * (pre-stable): drm/radeon/kms: move panel mode setup into encoder mode
    set
    - LP: #925538
  * (pre-stable): drm/radeon/kms: rework modeset sequence for DCE41 and
    DCE5
    - LP: #925538

  [ Andy Whitcroft ]

  * [Config] review IPv6 configuration options and enable

  [ David Henningsson ]

  * SAUCE: ALSA: HDA: Remove quirk for Toshiba Qosmio G50
    - LP: #923316
  * SAUCE: ALSA: HDA: Fix jack creation for codecs with front and rear Line
    In
    - LP: #923409

  [ James M. Leddy ]

  * SAUCE: Bluetooth: Add support for BCM20702A0 [0a5c:21e6]
    - LP: #906832

  [ Manoj Iyer ]

  * SAUCE: Bluetooth: Add support for BCM20702A0 [0a5c:21e1]
    - LP: #906832
  * SAUCE: Add vendor specific ID (0a5c 21f3) for BCM20702A0.
    - LP: #925552

  [ Seth Forshee ]

  * (pre-stable): drm/radeon/kms: disable output polling when suspended
    - LP: #925570

  [ Tim Gardner ]

  * [Config] CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PCIESSD_MTIP32XX=m
    - LP: #922221
  * [Config] Add mtip32xx to d-i block modules
    - LP: #922221
  * [Config] Enable USB3.0 in d-i

  [ Upstream Kernel Changes ]

  * block: Add driver for Micron RealSSD pcie flash cards
    - LP: #922221
  * mtip32xx: fix warnings/errors on 32-bit compiles
    - LP: #922221
  * mtip32xx: cleanup compat ioctl handling
    - LP: #922221
  * mtip32xx: ensure that all local functions are static
    - LP: #922221
  * mtip32xx: mark a few more items static
    - LP: #922221
  * mtip32xx: add module.h include to avoid conflict with moduleh tree
    - LP: #922221
  * mtip32xx: update to new ->make_request() API
    - LP: #922221
  * mtip32xx: updates based on feedback
    - LP: #922221
  * mtip32xx: uninitialized variable in mtip_quiesce_io()
    - LP: #922221
  * mtip32xx: do rebuild monitoring asynchronously
    - LP: #922221
  * watchdog: iTCO_wdt: add Intel Lynx Point DeviceIDs
    - LP: #900119
  * drm/i915: mask transcoder select bits before setting them on LVDS
    - LP: #924989
  * (pre-stable) USB: Realtek cr: fix autopm scheduling while atomic
    - LP: #917962
  * nouveau: properly check for _DSM function support
    - LP: #925608
  * nouveau: Support Optimus models for vga_switcheroo
    - LP: #925608
 -- Leann Ogasawara <email address hidden> Thu, 02 Feb 2012 13:26:59 -0800

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Vince (vincent-vanackere) wrote :

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 05:13, Stephen Rees-Carter
<email address hidden> wrote:
> Ok, I've just tested and the issue I reported in Bug #912992 is fixed by the kernel you linked.
> It sounds like Kernel 3.3 will have a fix in it, see comment #30 on that bug.
>
> Regarding my 'noapic' issues, I am still experiencing that one. (Bug
> #903558)
>
> You obviously don't have this issue on your Thinkpad L520?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
>

No I don't have this issue at all. Two suggestions :
- I would start by updating your BIOS to the latest version (I've seen
in your report that you are using version 1.10 that is quite old, mine
is at version 1.15).
- I this doesn't solve the issue (there's a good chance that it will),
you'll have no choice but finding the first bad kernel by using git
bisect (this means you will have to compile your own kernels -- and
manually apply the patch for the black screen issue for pre- 3.2
kernels -- this is painful but the best way to make progress in
solving your issue)

Good luck to you !

Stephen Rees-Carter (valorin) wrote :

I noticed our BIOS versions were different so I upgraded mine, but it hasn't solved the issue...
BTW, is there any way to refresh the information in that ticket of mine?

How do I do the git bisect thing?
Looking at http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ it looks like I can just download older Kernels until I find the one which fixes 'noapic', so I'll be able to identify when the change occured which broken it?

Also, I found that using 'nomodeset' or plugging in an external monitor got around the issue you reported here, so I won't need to manually apply the patch for testing old kernels.

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 16:00:19 +0100
Vincent Vanackere <email address hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 15:35, Leann Ogasawara
> <email address hidden> wrote:
> > Hi Vince,
> >
> > Thanks for the reference to the upstream patch.  I've built a Precise
> > test kernel with it applied.  Could you please test and let me know your
> > results.  I can then commit this to our Ubuntu Precise repo.  Test
> > kernel can be found at the following location:
> >
> > http://people.canonical.com/~ogasawara/lp924989/amd64/
>
> Yes, this test kernel works fine for me.
>
> > Also, do you know if this patch has been sent to upstream stable?  It
> > would be good to have it in an upcoming v3.2.y release.
>
> I fully agree the patch should be in a v3.2.y release but don't know
> if it's been submitted yet...
> CC'ing Jesse Barnes (the original author of the patch) in case he may
> know if his patch "drm/i915: mask transcoder select bits before
> setting them on LVDS" is scheduled for a stable release.

Is this in the stable tree yet? If not, feel free to send it over to
<email address hidden> so Greg can pick it up.

--
Jesse Barnes, Intel Open Source Technology Center

To post a comment you must log in.