acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version

Bug #435958 reported by mopay
120
This bug affects 36 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux (Ubuntu)
Fix Released
Medium
Stefan Bader

Bug Description

After booting, the system displays the following error in terminal: acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version Acer/Aspire 4810T/V1.28., please report, aborting!

After booting fine.

I'm in karmic alpha 6. I updated the bios acer aspire 4810T timeline to version 1.28. With Karmic Alpha 4 did not show this error.
I attach dmesg output file. Error is in line 696 from gedit.

Tags: 2.6.31.10
Revision history for this message
mopay (gtouron) wrote :
affects: ubuntu → linux (Ubuntu)
Revision history for this message
mopay (gtouron) wrote :
Revision history for this message
mopay (gtouron) wrote :

kernel 2.6.31-10-generic

Revision history for this message
Leann Ogasawara (leannogasawara) wrote :

Likely similar to bug 435958 . Marking this as triaged.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Triaged
Revision history for this message
Stefan Bader (smb) wrote :

It looks a bit strange as the code now would always (incorrectly) print this message. I cannot really say what was in alpha4, but the driver should in my opinion only act on acer aspire one models. I am building a test kernel which limits the dmi string and will test it on my aa1. Then I upload it, so you can verify the message is gone for you.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Stefan Bader (stefan-bader-canonical)
Revision history for this message
Stefan Bader (smb) wrote :

Testkernels at http://people.canonical.com/~smb/bug435958/. Can you check on your Aspire whether the message is gone with that? Thanks

Revision history for this message
Stefan Bader (smb) wrote :

This is the patch used to build the test kernels. It limits the automatic loading to Acers with model name starting AOA.

Revision history for this message
mopay (gtouron) wrote : Re: [Bug 435958] Re: acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version

The message no longer appears on the new kernel. I enclose the dmesg file
today with the kernel starts with old and new.
Thank you very much and sorry for my poor English.

2009/9/29 Stefan Bader <email address hidden>

> Testkernels at http://people.canonical.com/~smb/bug435958/<http://people.canonical.com/%7Esmb/bug435958/>.
> Can you
> check on your Aspire whether the message is gone with that? Thanks
>
> --
> acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/435958
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu: Triaged
>
> Bug description:
>
> After booting, the system displays the following error in terminal:
> acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version Acer/Aspire 4810T/V1.28., please
> report, aborting!
>
> After booting fine.
>
> I'm in karmic alpha 6. I updated the bios acer aspire 4810T timeline to
> version 1.28. With Karmic Alpha 4 did not show this error.
> I attach dmesg output file. Error is in line 696 from gedit.
>

--
Linux user #326395

Revision history for this message
executorvs (executorvs) wrote :

On my 5810T I'm still getting:
[ 14.277018] acerhdf: Acer Aspire One Fan driver, v.0.5.16
[ 14.277024] acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version Acer/Aspire 5810T/V1.23, please report, aborting!

with the current kernel in karmic.

could the Bios error have anything to do with the CD/DVD problem https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/438527 ?

Revision history for this message
Stefan Bader (smb) wrote :

executorvs wrote:
>
> could the Bios error have anything to do with the CD/DVD problem
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/438527 ?

Unlikely, it really does nothing beside of accidentally getting loaded in the
first place. Right on start it checks for the right model and exits as it finds
no Aspire One model.

Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package linux - 2.6.31-11.38

---------------
linux (2.6.31-11.38) karmic; urgency=low

  [ Stefan Bader ]

  * [Upstream] acerhdf: Limit modalias matching to supported boards
    - LP: #435958

  [ Tim Gardner ]

  * [Config] Added sata_via to d-i/modules/sata-modules
    - LP: #434827
  * SAUCE: (drop after 2.6.31) Disable iwl-1000 series wireless adapters
    - LP: #439285
  * [Upstream] i915: Fix i2c init message
    - LP: #409361
  * [Config] Add sym53c8xx.ko to virtual sub-flavour
    - LP: #439415

  [ Upstream Kernel Changes ]

  * sched: Disable NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS for now
    - LP: #436342

  * ACPI video: ignore buggy _BQC
  * ACPI video: work-around BIOS AML bug in _BQC
    - LP: #428910
  * ALSA: hda - Added quirk to enable sound on Toshiba NB200
    - LP: #438318

 -- Tim Gardner <email address hidden> Thu, 01 Oct 2009 13:52:09 -0600

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
mopay (gtouron) wrote :

Thank you very much. Great job.
Greetings
2009/10/2 Launchpad Bug Tracker <email address hidden>

> This bug was fixed in the package linux - 2.6.31-11.38
>
> ---------------
> linux (2.6.31-11.38) karmic; urgency=low
>
> [ Stefan Bader ]
>
> * [Upstream] acerhdf: Limit modalias matching to supported boards
> - LP: #435958
>
> [ Tim Gardner ]
>
> * [Config] Added sata_via to d-i/modules/sata-modules
> - LP: #434827
> * SAUCE: (drop after 2.6.31) Disable iwl-1000 series wireless adapters
> - LP: #439285
> * [Upstream] i915: Fix i2c init message
> - LP: #409361
> * [Config] Add sym53c8xx.ko to virtual sub-flavour
> - LP: #439415
>
> [ Upstream Kernel Changes ]
>
> * sched: Disable NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS for now
> - LP: #436342
>
> * ACPI video: ignore buggy _BQC
> * ACPI video: work-around BIOS AML bug in _BQC
> - LP: #428910
> * ALSA: hda - Added quirk to enable sound on Toshiba NB200
> - LP: #438318
>
> -- Tim Gardner <email address hidden> Thu, 01 Oct 2009 13:52:09
> -0600
>
> ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
> Status: Triaged => Fix Released
>
> --
> acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/435958
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
>
> After booting, the system displays the following error in terminal:
> acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version Acer/Aspire 4810T/V1.28., please
> report, aborting!
>
> After booting fine.
>
> I'm in karmic alpha 6. I updated the bios acer aspire 4810T timeline to
> version 1.28. With Karmic Alpha 4 did not show this error.
> I attach dmesg output file. Error is in line 696 from gedit.
>

--
Linux user #326395

Revision history for this message
iextreme (pixelazion) wrote :

error still occurs on the karmic beta version installed on acer 4736z bios v 1.05

Revision history for this message
Stefan Bader (smb) wrote :

iextreme wrote:
> error still occurs on the karmic beta version installed on acer 4736z
> bios v 1.05

Karmic beta was not 2.6.31-11.38 (iirc). You can simply check cat
/proc/version_signature and the output of modinfo acerhdf. Only with -11.38 and
later the modinfo should show something along pnAOA* in the aliases.

Revision history for this message
executorvs (executorvs) wrote :

error is no longer present on aspire timeline 5810TZ4274

Revision history for this message
Andy Whitcroft (apw) wrote :

Updated patch which covers more system was committed. Should be in the next upload.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Released → Fix Committed
Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package linux - 2.6.31-13.43

---------------
linux (2.6.31-13.43) karmic; urgency=low

  [ Andy Whitcroft ]

  * Revert "[Upstream] acerhdf: Limit modalias matching to supported
    boards"

  [ Colin Watson ]

  * Use section 'admin' rather than 'base'

  [ John Johansen ]

  * SAUCE: AppArmor: Set error code after structure initialization.
    - LP: #427948
  * SAUCE: AppArmor: Fix off by 2 error in getprocattr mem allocation
    - LP: #446595

  [ Luke Yelavich ]

  * SAUCE: Add sr_mod to the scsi-modules udeb for powerpc

  [ Stefan Bader ]

  * [Upstream] acerhdf: Limit modalias matching to supported boards
    (supersedes previous revert made by Andy Whitcroft)
    - LP: #435958

 -- Tim Gardner <email address hidden> Fri, 09 Oct 2009 10:08:16 -0600

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
Rob Beard (rob-esdelle) wrote :

I'm getting this problem on an Acer Aspire 2920.

I found this in the dmesg output:

[ 25.643400] acerhdf: Acer Aspire One Fan driver, v.0.5.16
[ 25.643405] acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version Acer /Aspire 2920 /V1.13 , please report, aborting!

My machine is a 12" Acer Notebook with Core 2 Duo 2GHz CPU rather than an Acer Aspire One with Intel Atom CPU.

I haven't upgraded in a day or so though and I am running an earlier kernel (2.6.31-11-generic) to the one mentioned above. I'm upgrading now so I will report back if the bug is still present.

Rob

Revision history for this message
Teemu Rytilahti (tpr) wrote :

I just saw this change in patchwork.k.o, and wanted to inform you that acerhdf works on other laptops than Aspire Ones. For example 1410T(Z) and 1810T(Z) are also supported by this driver (but have to be forced as the version table doesn't contain proper entries yet).

No reason to revert that patch of course (at least as the currently shipped version doesn't even contain official support..), but just wanted to let you know about it. Don't know how MODULE_ALIAS works so I'm not providing a patch as of yet, but I may look into that later...

Revision history for this message
Teemu Rytilahti (tpr) wrote :

So basically these two could be added to allow autodetection of these new Aspire laptops, tested with my 1810TZ that the first one at least works. Someone with 1410T(Z) could try the latter. No idea if this is useful though, as one has still to force the initialization as the list of BIOSes in acerhdf doesn't cover several new ones.

+MODULE_ALIAS("dmi:*:*Acer*:pnAspire1810T*:");
+MODULE_ALIAS("dmi:*:*Acer*:pnAspire1410T*:");

Revision history for this message
Stefan Bader (smb) wrote :

Teemu Rytilahti wrote:
> So basically these two could be added to allow autodetection of these
> new Aspire laptops, tested with my 1810TZ that the first one at least
> works. Someone with 1410T(Z) could try the latter. No idea if this is
> useful though, as one has still to force the initialization as the list
> of BIOSes in acerhdf doesn't cover several new ones.
>
> +MODULE_ALIAS("dmi:*:*Acer*:pnAspire1810T*:");
> +MODULE_ALIAS("dmi:*:*Acer*:pnAspire1410T*:");
>

Actually this should go into a new bug report with you complete "sudo dmidecode"
attached to it, as this is not the sort of false positives that this bug tries
to fix.

Surbhi Palande (csurbhi)
tags: added: 2.6.31.10
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
milestone: none → karmic-updates
Revision history for this message
versa (wolff) wrote :

I keep having the problem.
Kernel: 2.6.31-20-generic

[ 168.727376] acerhdf: Acer Aspire One Fan driver, v.0.5.16
[ 168.727384] acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version Acer/Aspire 1810TZ/v1.3308, please report, aborting!
[ 180.840301] acerhdf: Acer Aspire One Fan driver, v.0.5.16
[ 180.840309] acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version Acer/Aspire 1810TZ/v1.3308, please report, aborting!

There's still no solution available?

Revision history for this message
dayf (dayf) wrote :

ubuntu natty beta2 seemed to have acerhdf v0.5.24 without 'support' of bios v3314 (for1810tz 2010/09/24) whereas current acerhdf v0.5.25 accepts bios v3314

Revision history for this message
John Thompson (johndthompson) wrote :

Just updated from 9.10 to 11.04 on my Acer Aspire One netbook (model ZG8) and acerhdf is complaining:

[ 6.931416] acerhdf: Acer Aspire One Fan driver, v.0.5.24
[ 6.931452] acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version Acer/AO531h/v0.3111, please report, aborting!

acerhdf seemed to work fine with 9.10 -- what's up with that?

Revision history for this message
Gary Timuss (gary-timuss) wrote :

Seems to be a regression in maverick 2.6.35-30-generic, was working for me in 2.6.35-28-generic
[ 25.978691] acerhdf: Acer Aspire One Fan driver, v.0.5.22
[ 25.978702] acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version Acer/Aspire 1810T/v1.3314, please report, aborting!

$ uname -a
Linux miles 2.6.35-30-generic #54-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 7 18:41:54 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Revision history for this message
Gary Timuss (gary-timuss) wrote :

Further to my comment #25, I was mistaken. The correct facts are:
acerhdf v0.5.22 does not include 1810T/v.1.3314
acerhdf v0.5.22 is included in maverick, both 2.6.35-30 and 2.6.35-28
Was working for me in 2.6.35-28 as I had manually downloaded v0.5.24 from http://www.piie.net/?section=acerhdf
I've now downloaded v0.5.25 and build for me, so I'm working again.

For comment #24, I confirm that Acer 531 support with v0.5.24 (natty) is v0.3201
and even v0.5.25 only has v0.3201 and v0.3304. I've not checked what was included with karmic, but going to http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=1110 (click on BIOS) doesn't list 0.3111, but then again acer.com support doesn't claim to have a ZG8 either but a 531h instead

Revision history for this message
Luka Paunovic (lukapaunovic) wrote :

I have the same issue

when I insert
sudo echo "options acerhdf kernelmode=1 interval=5 fanon=67000 fanoff=57000" > /etc/modprobe.d/acerhdf.conf

and do

modprobe acerhdf

then i get in kern.log

Jul 28 17:27:45 Andromeda kernel: [ 2309.098985] acerhdf: Acer Aspire One Fan driver, v.0.7.0
Jul 28 17:27:45 Andromeda kernel: [ 2309.099026] acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version Acer/Aspire A315-51/V1.12, please report, abortin

My kernel is 4.15.0-29-generic

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=bionic
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS"
VERSION_ID="18.04"
HOME_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL="https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/privacy-policy"
VERSION_CODENAME=bionic
UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

Revision history for this message
auspex (auspex) wrote :

It's not helping anybody to append yourself on a bug reported against Karmic, 7 years ago, and that was fixed _for_ Karmic. Your error message clearly refers to a different unknown BIOS version and should be reported separately.

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers