gid changed after intrepid to jaunty upgrade

Bug #367204 reported by sirius on 2009-04-26
2
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

The upgrade from intrepid server to jaunty server appeared to go ok, without any problems at first.
The first reboot seemed to take longer than normal, but I didn't record the time.
One problem I did have was that edits in MediaWiki would no longer work (complained about a missing table). [At this stage I think this is unrelated to the gid problem, and I haven't yet had time to look into the problem]
The first shutdown occurred without problem.
When booting for the second time, I found I could not log in with my normal password. I did manage to get in with a ssh-key.
This is when I first suspected big problems.
I soon found that sudo wouldn't work, apache and samba were not working, but rsync daemon was working.
The cause appears to be that some of the gids in /etc/group have changed. Interestingly the modified time on the /etc/group file is the date I installed Intrepid.
Fortunately I have a old copy of the /etc/group file.
I'm going to attempt to fix this with a Knoppix CD.

A diff on the new and old group files:

sirius@siriushost:/etc$ diff group ~/backup/etc/group
19c19
< floppy:x:25:
---
> floppy:x:25:sirius
22,23c22,23
< audio:x:29:
< dip:x:30:
---
> audio:x:29:sirius
> dip:x:30:sirius
33c33
< video:x:44:
---
> video:x:44:sirius
41,46c41,46
< syslog:x:102:
< klog:x:103:
< scanner:x:104:
< nvram:x:105:
< fuse:x:106:
< kvm:x:107:
---
> dhcp:x:102:
> syslog:x:103:
> klog:x:104:
> scanner:x:105:
> nvram:x:106:
> fuse:x:107:sirius
51,60c51,54
< libvirtd:x:112:
< sambashare:x:113:sirius
< ssl-cert:x:114:
< winbindd_priv:x:115:
< netdev:x:116:
< messagebus:x:117:
< sirius:x:1000:
< lpadmin:x:118:sirius
< admin:x:119:sirius
< citadel:x:120:
---
> sirius:x:1000:bu
> lpadmin:x:112:sirius
> admin:x:113:sirius
> bu:x:1001:

affects: ubuntu → linux (Ubuntu)
sirius (sgc294) wrote :

Replacing the new group file with the old one worked well (booting from a CD).
The system now works. sudo, mysql, apache, samba all are working again.
The MediaWiki problem is still there, so I'll log a different bug for that.

I would really like to know why this happened,
and why extra groups were added to the group file, such as:
kvm
libvirtd
sambashare
ssl-cert
winbind_priv
netdev
messagebus

Jeremy Foshee (jeremyfoshee) wrote :

Hi sirius,

This bug was reported a while ago and there hasn't been any activity in it recently. We were wondering if this is still an issue? Can you try with the latest development release of Ubuntu? ISO CD images are available from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/lucid.

If it remains an issue, could you run the following command from a Terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal). It will automatically gather and attach updated debug information to this report.

apport-collect -p linux 367204

Also, if you could test the latest upstream kernel available that would be great. It will allow additional upstream developers to examine the issue. Refer to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds . Once you've tested the upstream kernel, please remove the 'needs-upstream-testing' tag. This can be done by clicking on the yellow pencil icon next to the tag located at the bottom of the bug description and deleting the 'needs-upstream-testing' text. Please let us know your results.

Thanks in advance.

[This is an automated message. Apologies if it has reached you inappropriately; please just reply to this message indicating so.]

tags: added: needs-kernel-logs
tags: added: needs-upstream-testing
tags: added: kj-triage
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
Jeremy Foshee (jeremyfoshee) wrote :

This bug report was marked as Incomplete and has not had any updated comments for quite some time. As a result this bug is being closed. Please reopen if this is still an issue in the current Ubuntu release http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download . Also, please be sure to provide any requested information that may have been missing. To reopen the bug, click on the current status under the Status column and change the status back to "New". Thanks.

[This is an automated message. Apologies if it has reached you inappropriately; please just reply to this message indicating so.]

tags: added: kj-expired
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers