No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002

Bug #276949 reported by Scott Price
24
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux (Ubuntu)
Fix Released
Medium
Andy Whitcroft
Nominated for Jaunty by Andres Mujica

Bug Description

I have an HP USB webcam that came with my AMD-64 dual-core system. It doesn't recognize the cam in any video rendering programs. I tried MAKEDEV with it plugged in, but nothing still. I also added the Jasper libs, nothing, and tried EasyCam, Cheese, Ekiga, CameraMonitor, V4L-conf, and all drivers known for webcams. Is anyone working on a driver for this cam? HP will only support Windows.

Thanks.

Revision history for this message
arno_b (arno.b) wrote :

On which Ubuntu are you?
Please, give the result of 'uname -r'
The new linux kernel provided with Ubuntu Intrepid brings a lot of web cam support; hope that yours is in the list.
There is a thread in the ubuntu forum for your webcam I think:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=883518

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote : Re: [Bug 276949] Re: No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002

I am on 8.04 Hardy. The uname -r shows:

2.6.24-21-generic

I hope it is too. Is Intrepid available yet?

Thanks for your email.

Scott Price

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 4:39 AM, Arnaud Blouin <email address hidden> wrote:

> On which Ubuntu are you?
> Please, give the result of 'uname -r'
> The new linux kernel provided with Ubuntu Intrepid brings a lot of web cam
> support; hope that yours is in the list.
> There is a thread in the ubuntu forum for your webcam I think:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=883518
>
> --
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Revision history for this message
arno_b (arno.b) wrote :

Intrepid will be release a the end of this month.

Revision history for this message
Sudipto Sarkar (xtremethegreat1) wrote :

It's a grave problem...
Kernel guys... Please do something. Please write drivers for this in the next kernel release...

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

Thanks for the info!

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Arnaud Blouin <email address hidden> wrote:

> Intrepid will be release a the end of this month.
>
> --
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Revision history for this message
Sudipto Sarkar (xtremethegreat1) wrote :

btw, I'm using an Inter Celeron M processor, 1.86 GHz (of course x86 architecture), and kernel version is:

xtreme@xtreme-laptop:~$ uname -r
2.6.24-19-rt

The HP cam is a vga camera. Telling this, because a 2MP camera (also from HP) returns the same number in lsusb.

Revision history for this message
Sudipto Sarkar (xtremethegreat1) wrote :

I got a kernel update today. Thought that this kernel will have the drivers to my HP Vga cam. It didn't :(
They said the Intrepid kernel will be released this month. Isn't it having the driver to this camera?

Revision history for this message
Andres Mujica (andres.mujica) wrote :

Scott please be sure to attach these files to the bug report.

      uname -a > uname-a.log

      cat /proc/version_signature > proc_version_signature.log

      sudo lspci -vvnn > lspci-vvnn.log (those are 2 v's not a w)

      dmesg > dmesg.log

      lsusb > lsusb.log

Thanks

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :
Download full text (59.0 KiB)

uname-a.log:

Linux scott-desktop 2.6.24-21-generic #1 SMP Tue Oct 21 23:09:30 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

proc-version_signature.log:

Ubuntu 2.6.24-21.43-generic

lspci-vvnn.log:

00:00.0 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge [10de:02f0] (rev a2)
 Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device [103c:2a54]
 Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
 Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
 Latency: 0
 Capabilities: [44] HyperTransport: Slave or Primary Interface
  Command: BaseUnitID=0 UnitCnt=15 MastHost- DefDir- DUL-
  Link Control 0: CFlE+ CST- CFE- <LkFail- Init+ EOC- TXO- <CRCErr=0 IsocEn- LSEn- ExtCTL- 64b-
  Link Config 0: MLWI=16bit DwFcIn- MLWO=16bit DwFcOut- LWI=16bit DwFcInEn- LWO=16bit DwFcOutEn-
  Link Control 1: CFlE+ CST- CFE- <LkFail- Init+ EOC- TXO- <CRCErr=0 IsocEn- LSEn+ ExtCTL- 64b-
  Link Config 1: MLWI=16bit DwFcIn- MLWO=16bit DwFcOut- LWI=8bit DwFcInEn- LWO=8bit DwFcOutEn-
  Revision ID: 1.03
  Link Frequency 0: 1.0GHz
  Link Error 0: <Prot- <Ovfl- <EOC- CTLTm-
  Link Frequency Capability 0: 200MHz+ 300MHz+ 400MHz+ 500MHz+ 600MHz+ 800MHz+ 1.0GHz+ 1.2GHz- 1.4GHz- 1.6GHz- Vend-
  Feature Capability: IsocFC+ LDTSTOP+ CRCTM- ECTLT- 64bA- UIDRD-
  Link Frequency 1: 1.0GHz
  Link Error 1: <Prot- <Ovfl- <EOC- CTLTm-
  Link Frequency Capability 1: 200MHz+ 300MHz+ 400MHz+ 500MHz+ 600MHz+ 800MHz+ 1.0GHz+ 1.2GHz- 1.4GHz- 1.6GHz- Vend-
  Error Handling: PFlE+ OFlE+ PFE- OFE- EOCFE- RFE- CRCFE- SERRFE- CF- RE- PNFE- ONFE- EOCNFE- RNFE- CRCNFE- SERRNFE-
  Prefetchable memory behind bridge Upper: 00-00
  Bus Number: 00
 Capabilities: [e0] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping

00:00.1 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 [10de:02fa] (rev a2)
 Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device [103c:2a54]
 Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
 Status: Cap- 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR+ <PERR-

00:00.2 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 [10de:02fe] (rev a2)
 Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device [103c:2a54]
 Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
 Status: Cap- 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-

00:00.3 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 [10de:02f8] (rev a2)
 Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device [103c:2a54]
 Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
 Status: Cap- 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-

00:00.4 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 [10de:02f9] (rev a2)
 Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device [103c:2a54]
 Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
 Status: Cap- 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
 Latency: 0

00:00.5 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge [10de:02ff] (rev a2...

arno_b (arno.b)
Changed in linux:
status: Incomplete → New
Revision history for this message
Sudipto Sarkar (xtremethegreat1) wrote :

The new kernels are out. And yet I do not find the driver.
:(
Man, I'm in serious trouble and I don't want to switch back to another pirated edition of Windows.

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

I'm not sure, but I think someone may be working on this particular driver,
[help me out guys, you would know better than I.] In the meantime, I have
an old Creative Labs webcam that I found laying around. It works for what I
need in Linux most of the time. HP is not going to be helpful in any way.
They seem to have an exclusive thing going on with MS -- and yet, they seem
to have a whole new department having to do with Open Source. Go figure.
They're trying to find a way to profit even from this -- but without any
support. Oh well, keep on chuggin' along. Eventually there should be
something that resembles a driver for this odd duck. ;-)

Just a thought from left-field... I think one obstacle may be that the HP
webcam advertises itself as a sound card, due to what is supposed to be a
built-in mic, but the sound quality sounds a little more like a tin-can in a
storm. At least that's my uneducated guess about the USB description. Would
I be warm or just going further out of the park?

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Sudipto Sarkar <email address hidden>wrote:

> The new kernels are out. And yet I do not find the driver.
> :(
> Man, I'm in serious trouble and I don't want to switch back to another
> pirated edition of Windows.
>
> --
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Revision history for this message
Sudipto Sarkar (xtremethegreat1) wrote :

Scott Price wrote:
> I'm not sure, but I think someone may be working on this particular driver,
> [help me out guys, you would know better than I.] In the meantime, I have
> an old Creative Labs webcam that I found laying around. It works for what I
> need in Linux most of the time. HP is not going to be helpful in any way.
> They seem to have an exclusive thing going on with MS -- and yet, they seem
> to have a whole new department having to do with Open Source. Go figure.
> They're trying to find a way to profit even from this -- but without any
> support. Oh well, keep on chuggin' along. Eventually there should be
> something that resembles a driver for this odd duck. ;-)
>
> Just a thought from left-field... I think one obstacle may be that the HP
> webcam advertises itself as a sound card, due to what is supposed to be a
> built-in mic, but the sound quality sounds a little more like a tin-can in a
> storm. At least that's my uneducated guess about the USB description. Would
> I be warm or just going further out of the park?
>
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Sudipto Sarkar
> <email address hidden>wrote:
>
>
>> The new kernels are out. And yet I do not find the driver.
>> :(
>> Man, I'm in serious trouble and I don't want to switch back to another
>> pirated edition of Windows.
>>
>> --
>> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>> of the bug.
>>
>>
>
>
I hope I had an old linux supported camera too.
I don't even think someone is working for the drivers. HP - a big no no. They'd rather abandon Linux users, because they don't like Linux. What they don't know is that Windows sucks and they'd support Windows alone. Ubuntu developers - They have other work to do. Rather, one has to have the hardware specifications to make the driver. One can't just guess and write drivers. So, without HP's contribution, I don't think this would ever be possible. Let's just hope that someday HP makes up the mind to help us all.

Changed in linux:
status: New → Incomplete
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
Revision history for this message
Andres Mujica (andres.mujica) wrote :

Hi, thanks for your info.

According to http://moinejf.free.fr/webcam.html this webcam is now supported under gspca modules.

As these modules are being introduced in Intrepid, the one needed by your webcam is available since kernel 2.6.27-7.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid-updates/amd64/linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic/filelist

the one that you need is:

/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_vc032x.ko

So this seems to be solved at this moment.

I would need you to test with Intrepid fully updated to check that you're camera actually works or at least that is being detected by the system.

So please test with Intrepid and latest kernel available.

Thanks!

Revision history for this message
Andres Mujica (andres.mujica) wrote :

The module needed by this webcam is already at Intrepid's kernel.

gspca_vc032x.ko

Thanks for your report and feedback

Changed in linux:
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

Thanks for the info. I got a virus in Vista that wiped out my Linux
partitions, so as soon as I can get the PC to boot up again, I'll try Super
Grub to see it they're still there, otherwise I'll have to reinstall Ubuntu.
I'm using another PC right now. That's good news, though, as soon as I can
get a driver for my TV card, I can get rid of Vista altogether.

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Andres Mujica <email address hidden>wrote:

> Hi, thanks for your info.
>
> According to http://moinejf.free.fr/webcam.html this webcam is now
> supported under gspca modules.
>
> As these modules are being introduced in Intrepid, the one needed by
> your webcam is available since kernel 2.6.27-7.
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid-updates/amd64/linux-
> image-2.6.27-7-generic/filelist<http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid-updates/amd64/linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic/filelist>
>
> the one that you need is:
>
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_vc032x.ko
>
>
> So this seems to be solved at this moment.
>
> I would need you to test with Intrepid fully updated to check that
> you're camera actually works or at least that is being detected by the
> system.
>
> So please test with Intrepid and latest kernel available.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Revision history for this message
Olaf Piesche (opiesche) wrote :

I've just tried this in Intrepid with the same web cam, and it seems to be a no-go. I've modprobe'd gspca_main, then gspca_vc032x.ko, and still the camera isn't recognized by any application. Anything else I can try?

Revision history for this message
Olaf Piesche (opiesche) wrote :

Here's the lsusb output as well.

Revision history for this message
Olaf Piesche (opiesche) wrote :

And the kernel info:

dodger@Inferno:~$ uname -a
Linux Inferno 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Thu Jan 29 19:24:39 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Revision history for this message
Sudipto Sarkar (xtremethegreat1) wrote :

Seeing the developments here, I finally had to sell my camera.
:(

Revision history for this message
Andres Mujica (andres.mujica) wrote :

Well, this particular device has finally introduced upstream with this commit

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=8852153548b31abb99c1c0772d03f92054f1f80d

sadly it make it into 2.6.29 tree

However, with this patch it *maybe* be introduced to Jaunty Updates (it wouldn 't make it into Final unless is already there)

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
status: Incomplete → Triaged
Revision history for this message
Sudipto Sarkar (xtremethegreat1) wrote :

It's good to know that a patch has been released. Unfortunately, the kernel version for ubuntu is much behind 2.6.29. I hope the Ubuntu kernel guys release the patch applied to a new kernel very soon.

Revision history for this message
Sudipto Sarkar (xtremethegreat1) wrote :

And when is the patch supposed to be included in some Ubuntu kernel?

Revision history for this message
Andres Mujica (andres.mujica) wrote :

Sudipto, as Jaunty uses 2.6.28 kernel is not clear if the patch could be backported there. So please bear with us in the meantime.

Thanks

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
importance: Low → Medium
Revision history for this message
Sudipto Sarkar (xtremethegreat1) wrote :

I compiled version 2.6.29.1 of the kernel, and checked if the module was working, which to my surprise was not. Then I downloaded the v4l-dvb from linuxtv.org and compiled and installed it, and I did a modprobe gspca_vc032x which adds the /dev/video0. But then I get this I/O error:

libv4l2: error dequeuing buf: Input/output error

:(

Any solution?

Revision history for this message
Ike Panhc (ikepanhc) wrote :

Ok, I try to have the bug

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → ikepanhc
status: Triaged → In Progress
Revision history for this message
Ike Panhc (ikepanhc) wrote :

I have a quick check and we will have that patch on Karmic, but not Jaunty

I will cherry-pick for Jaunty kernel

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

Thank you very much. It's been a long time.

Revision history for this message
Ike Panhc (ikepanhc) wrote :

Hi Scott,

Could you test the Jaunty kernel package at http://people.ubuntu.com/~ikepanhc/lp276949/

If it works, I will send patch as Jaunty SRU.
If there is something bad happen, please let me know

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

I would be glad to try it, I just don't know exactly how to install the
patch. Do I just download one of the .deb packages? Sorry, I'm kinda new to
Linux.

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Ike Panhc <email address hidden> wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Could you test the Jaunty kernel package at
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~ikepanhc/lp276949/<http://people.ubuntu.com/%7Eikepanhc/lp276949/>
>
> If it works, I will send patch as Jaunty SRU.
> If there is something bad happen, please let me know
>
> --
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Revision history for this message
Ike Panhc (ikepanhc) wrote :

Please wait a second, since I just find you are using AMD64 system. I am building the AMD64 kernel for you.

Could you tell me what version of Ubuntu you used?

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

Yes, Jaunty 2.6.28-11-generic.

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Ike Panhc <email address hidden> wrote:

> Please wait a second, since I just find you are using AMD64 system. I am
> building the AMD64 kernel for you.
>
> Could you tell me what version of Ubuntu you used?
>
> --
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Revision history for this message
Sudipto Sarkar (xtremethegreat1) wrote :

Ike Panhc wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Could you test the Jaunty kernel package at
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~ikepanhc/lp276949/
>
> If it works, I will send patch as Jaunty SRU.
> If there is something bad happen, please let me know
>
>
How to apply the patch, without having to install linux-source and
compiling the kernel (if it is possible)?

Revision history for this message
Sudipto Sarkar (xtremethegreat1) wrote :

Ike Panhc, please note that I am on x86...
:)
Would be glad if you could do something for x86 too...

Revision history for this message
Ike Panhc (ikepanhc) wrote :

Hi Scott/Sudipto,

I have put packages on http://people.ubuntu.com/~ikepanhc/lp276949/

Please download http://people.ubuntu.com/~ikepanhc/lp276949/linux-image-2.6.28.10-ikepanhc-lp276949_lp276949_i386.deb, then double-click on it for install it

After reboot please try if the webcam works or not.

After testing, please use the following command to the following command in Terminal

# sudo dpkg --remove linux-image-2.6.28.10-ikepanhc-lp276949

If any result, please let me know.

If you have never upgraded kernel, I suggest to have a backup of your important data
(Just in case, I never damaged my system with kernel upgrade)

Revision history for this message
Ike Panhc (ikepanhc) wrote :

Some typo in the last comment

...
After testing, please use the following command in Terminal to remove the package
...

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

Hello Ike,

I have an AMD64 system. Do you have that version available?

Thanks.

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 6:45 AM, Ike Panhc <email address hidden> wrote:

> Hi Scott/Sudipto,
>
> I have put packages on http://people.ubuntu.com/~ikepanhc/lp276949/<http://people.ubuntu.com/%7Eikepanhc/lp276949/>
>
> Please download http://people.ubuntu.com/~ikepanhc/lp276949/linux-
> image-2.6.28.10-ikepanhc-lp276949_lp276949_i386.deb<http://people.ubuntu.com/%7Eikepanhc/lp276949/linux-%0Aimage-2.6.28.10-ikepanhc-lp276949_lp276949_i386.deb>,
> then double-click
> on it for install it
>
> After reboot please try if the webcam works or not.
>
> After testing, please use the following command to the following command
> in Terminal
>
> # sudo dpkg --remove linux-image-2.6.28.10-ikepanhc-lp276949
>
> If any result, please let me know.
>
> If you have never upgraded kernel, I suggest to have a backup of your
> important data
> (Just in case, I never damaged my system with kernel upgrade)
>
> --
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

Hello Ike,

I have an AMD64 system. Do you have that version available?

Thanks.

Revision history for this message
Ike Panhc (ikepanhc) wrote :

Hi Scott,

I build the kernel in x86 version, so it shall work fine with AMD64 system

If you are worried. I will make a AMD64 kernel for you

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

Hello Ike,

I'm not sure, but last time I tried to install an i386 program through Deb
installer, it came back with an error -- wrong architecture, or something
like that.

Thanks.

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Ike Panhc <email address hidden> wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> I build the kernel in x86 version, so it shall work fine with AMD64
> system
>
> If you are worried. I will make a AMD64 kernel for you
>
> --
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Revision history for this message
Sudipto Sarkar (xtremethegreat1) wrote :

Hi Ike,

I downloaded that kernel and tried to install it, but it won't install
probably because of the new kernel from the ubuntu updates.
What do I do?

Ike Panhc wrote:
> Hi Scott/Sudipto,
>
> I have put packages on http://people.ubuntu.com/~ikepanhc/lp276949/
>
> Please download http://people.ubuntu.com/~ikepanhc/lp276949/linux-
> image-2.6.28.10-ikepanhc-lp276949_lp276949_i386.deb, then double-click
> on it for install it
>
> After reboot please try if the webcam works or not.
>
> After testing, please use the following command to the following command
> in Terminal
>
> # sudo dpkg --remove linux-image-2.6.28.10-ikepanhc-lp276949
>
> If any result, please let me know.
>
> If you have never upgraded kernel, I suggest to have a backup of your important data
> (Just in case, I never damaged my system with kernel upgrade)
>
>

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

Hello Ike -- While getting a quite thorough crash-course in Kernel
compilation, I am not quite sure as to which file is to be assigned the
recipient of the all-important patch... Otherwise, I have learned how to use
the files available on your page and you don't need to create an AMD64
version. Once I have ascertained where to place the patch, I will test it
post-haste.

Thank you for your diligent work.

"Every path hath a puddle."

-- George Herbert

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Scott Price <email address hidden>wrote:

> Hello Ike,
>
> I'm not sure, but last time I tried to install an i386 program through Deb
> installer, it came back with an error -- wrong architecture, or something
> like that.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Ike Panhc <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> I build the kernel in x86 version, so it shall work fine with AMD64
>> system
>>
>> If you are worried. I will make a AMD64 kernel for you
>>
>> --
>> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>> of the bug.
>>
>
>

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

Hello again Ike,

I am trying to apply the patch to the kernel-source. This is what I get:

root@scott-desktop:/usr/local/src/linux-source-2.6.28-10/linux-source-2.6.28.10-ikepanhc-lp276949#
patch -p1 < ../0001-V4L-DVB-9870-gspca-vc032x-Webcam-15b8-6002-and.patch
patching file Documentation/video4linux/gspca.txt
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n] y
Hunk #1 FAILED at 265.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
Documentation/video4linux/gspca.txt.rej
patching file drivers/media/video/gspca/vc032x.c
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n]
Skipping patch.
8 out of 8 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file
drivers/media/video/gspca/vc032x.c.rej

When I look for the file, not found.

Suggestions?

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Scott Price <email address hidden>wrote:

> Hello Ike -- While getting a quite thorough crash-course in Kernel
> compilation, I am not quite sure as to which file is to be assigned the
> recipient of the all-important patch... Otherwise, I have learned how to use
> the files available on your page and you don't need to create an AMD64
> version. Once I have ascertained where to place the patch, I will test it
> post-haste.
>
> Thank you for your diligent work.
>
> "Every path hath a puddle."
>
> -- George Herbert
>
>
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Scott Price <email address hidden>wrote:
>
>> Hello Ike,
>>
>> I'm not sure, but last time I tried to install an i386 program through Deb
>> installer, it came back with an error -- wrong architecture, or something
>> like that.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Ike Panhc <email address hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Scott,
>>>
>>> I build the kernel in x86 version, so it shall work fine with AMD64
>>> system
>>>
>>> If you are worried. I will make a AMD64 kernel for you
>>>
>>> --
>>> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
>>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>>> of the bug.
>>>
>>
>>
>

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

OK -- I got past the patch problem... Now I'm getting a version conflict. Is
the version 2.6.28.10 or 2.6.28-10? I realize you are very busy, this is all
new to me. I got the .deb file built, but when I try to run the.deb file, it
says it's already installed and do I want to re-install. I don't want to
write over my 2.6.28-12 version, that's the one that works and I don't want
to overwrite that one. The uname -r is:

2.6.28-12-generic

Thank you.

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Scott Price <email address hidden>wrote:

> Hello again Ike,
>
> I am trying to apply the patch to the kernel-source. This is what I get:
>
> root@scott-desktop:/usr/local/src/linux-source-2.6.28-10/linux-source-2.6.28.10-ikepanhc-lp276949#
> patch -p1 < ../0001-V4L-DVB-9870-gspca-vc032x-Webcam-15b8-6002-and.patch
> patching file Documentation/video4linux/gspca.txt
> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]
> Apply anyway? [n] y
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 265.
> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
> Documentation/video4linux/gspca.txt.rej
> patching file drivers/media/video/gspca/vc032x.c
> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]
> Apply anyway? [n]
> Skipping patch.
> 8 out of 8 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file
> drivers/media/video/gspca/vc032x.c.rej
>
> When I look for the file, not found.
>
> Suggestions?
>
>
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Scott Price <email address hidden>wrote:
>
>> Hello Ike -- While getting a quite thorough crash-course in Kernel
>> compilation, I am not quite sure as to which file is to be assigned the
>> recipient of the all-important patch... Otherwise, I have learned how to use
>> the files available on your page and you don't need to create an AMD64
>> version. Once I have ascertained where to place the patch, I will test it
>> post-haste.
>>
>> Thank you for your diligent work.
>>
>> "Every path hath a puddle."
>>
>> -- George Herbert
>>
>>
>> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Scott Price <email address hidden>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Ike,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure, but last time I tried to install an i386 program through
>>> Deb installer, it came back with an error -- wrong architecture, or
>>> something like that.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Ike Panhc <email address hidden>wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi Scott,
>>>>
>>>> I build the kernel in x86 version, so it shall work fine with AMD64
>>>> system
>>>>
>>>> If you are worried. I will make a AMD64 kernel for you
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
>>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
>>>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>>>> of the bug.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>

Revision history for this message
Ike Panhc (ikepanhc) wrote :

Hello Scott and Sudipto,

I am sorry for not response for days, I have some event to join and with poor networking only now.

Could you give me some day so that I can solve the issue for you?

My apology again for no response.

Revision history for this message
Ike Panhc (ikepanhc) wrote :

Hi Scott and Sudipto,

I have some mistake about the version string, I fix them and have the image at http://people.ubuntu.com/~ikepanhc/lp276949/

I have tried the kernel-image package with a clean jaunty, it could be installed and runs well.

Could you help me try the image with your webcam, and tell me if the webcam works fine or not.

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

Hello Ike,

I was able to download and install the source and the headers. My debian
installer won't install the i386 packages, even though it says it's for
i386_64. I have IA32 installed, but I guess it doesn't work for deb
packages. Also, the docs package conflicts with a linux-ports0docs that I
have installed.
I tried with the last source you sent, and it replaced my kernel and deleted
about half of my programs, so I don't want to try that again. I had to
reinstall from scratch. I'm sorry, I just don't have the experience to
figure this out. May I have some guidance please? I get how to compile the
kernel, I just don't get how to keep it separate and keep my original kernel
to go back to. Also, does the patch file need to be ran, or is it already in
the kernel?

Thanks, and please bear with me.

Scott

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Ike Panhc <email address hidden> wrote:

> Hi Scott and Sudipto,
>
> I have some mistake about the version string, I fix them and have the
> image at http://people.ubuntu.com/~ikepanhc/lp276949/<http://people.ubuntu.com/%7Eikepanhc/lp276949/>
>
> I have tried the kernel-image package with a clean jaunty, it could be
> installed and runs well.
>
> Could you help me try the image with your webcam, and tell me if the
> webcam works fine or not.
>
> --
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

So I ran dpkg -i for the Image file and it errored out and did NOT create
the Image. It did, however, add a bunch of i386 Repositories. I did the
"make oldconfig" this time instead of "make menuconfig" Do I do a "make
kpkg" to make the image AMD64? This is VERY frustrating.

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Scott Price <email address hidden>wrote:

> Hello Ike,
>
> I was able to download and install the source and the headers. My debian
> installer won't install the i386 packages, even though it says it's for
> i386_64. I have IA32 installed, but I guess it doesn't work for deb
> packages. Also, the docs package conflicts with a linux-ports0docs that I
> have installed.
> I tried with the last source you sent, and it replaced my kernel and
> deleted about half of my programs, so I don't want to try that again. I had
> to reinstall from scratch. I'm sorry, I just don't have the experience to
> figure this out. May I have some guidance please? I get how to compile the
> kernel, I just don't get how to keep it separate and keep my original kernel
> to go back to. Also, does the patch file need to be ran, or is it already in
> the kernel?
>
> Thanks, and please bear with me.
>
> Scott
>
>
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Ike Panhc <email address hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi Scott and Sudipto,
>>
>> I have some mistake about the version string, I fix them and have the
>> image at http://people.ubuntu.com/~ikepanhc/lp276949/<http://people.ubuntu.com/%7Eikepanhc/lp276949/>
>>
>> I have tried the kernel-image package with a clean jaunty, it could be
>> installed and runs well.
>>
>> Could you help me try the image with your webcam, and tell me if the
>> webcam works fine or not.
>>
>> --
>> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>> of the bug.
>>
>
>

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

I did a make-kpkg with the wrong options and ended up with
2.6.28.10-custom.1.0. The good news is that the camera WORKS just fine in
Cheese! I didn't even need the libc update. I'll do some testing to see if
it will record sound with the video. Are you relieved?

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Scott Price <email address hidden>wrote:

> So I ran dpkg -i for the Image file and it errored out and did NOT create
> the Image. It did, however, add a bunch of i386 Repositories. I did the
> "make oldconfig" this time instead of "make menuconfig" Do I do a "make
> kpkg" to make the image AMD64? This is VERY frustrating.
>
>
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Scott Price <email address hidden>wrote:
>
>> Hello Ike,
>>
>> I was able to download and install the source and the headers. My debian
>> installer won't install the i386 packages, even though it says it's for
>> i386_64. I have IA32 installed, but I guess it doesn't work for deb
>> packages. Also, the docs package conflicts with a linux-ports0docs that I
>> have installed.
>> I tried with the last source you sent, and it replaced my kernel and
>> deleted about half of my programs, so I don't want to try that again. I had
>> to reinstall from scratch. I'm sorry, I just don't have the experience to
>> figure this out. May I have some guidance please? I get how to compile the
>> kernel, I just don't get how to keep it separate and keep my original kernel
>> to go back to. Also, does the patch file need to be ran, or is it already in
>> the kernel?
>>
>> Thanks, and please bear with me.
>>
>> Scott
>>
>>
>> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Ike Panhc <email address hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Scott and Sudipto,
>>>
>>> I have some mistake about the version string, I fix them and have the
>>> image at http://people.ubuntu.com/~ikepanhc/lp276949/<http://people.ubuntu.com/%7Eikepanhc/lp276949/>
>>>
>>> I have tried the kernel-image package with a clean jaunty, it could be
>>> installed and runs well.
>>>
>>> Could you help me try the image with your webcam, and tell me if the
>>> webcam works fine or not.
>>>
>>> --
>>> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
>>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>>> of the bug.
>>>
>>
>>
>

Revision history for this message
Ike Panhc (ikepanhc) wrote :

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your trying.

But could you let me know why half of your programs deleted when you update kernel? It should not happen when install a debian package.

Usually we make kernel by the debian rules with the kernel tree. you could refer to the document at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile. But its too old. I will update some wiki if I have free time.

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

Hi Ike,

Due to my impatience, I dove right in to compiling a new kernel without
being very cautious. I didn't use any .deb packages, I did everything from
the source, as I did this time, except after running the patch, I used
make-kpkg menuconfig instead of oldconfig to build the kernel_image.deb file
without knowing what I was doing. After I ran the deb file, there was an
update that popped up. I went ahead and ran the update, which took a very
long time. When I rebooted, the kernel had changed to 2.6.28.10, no matter
which option I chose from the GRUB menu, and everything went downhill from
there. I chose to just reinstall from scratch after that.

This time, I used the source file from your page, ran the patch, built the
image from that using make-kpkg oldconfig, then ran the .deb file. After
rebooting, everything went just fine, except for using the wrong naming
options, which again named the image file 2.6.28.10-custom.1.0. I checked
the two files from the patch (gspca.txt and the .c file), which showed my
camera had been added, then tested the camera on Cheese. The camera turned
on and worked fine.

Thank you for the link. I will definitely educate myself further on the
subject.

Scott

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 6:13 AM, Ike Panhc <email address hidden> wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Thanks for your trying.
>
> But could you let me know why half of your programs deleted when you
> update kernel? It should not happen when install a debian package.
>
> Usually we make kernel by the debian rules with the kernel tree. you
> could refer to the document at
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile. But its too old. I
> will update some wiki if I have free time.
>
> --
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Revision history for this message
Ike Panhc (ikepanhc) wrote :

Hi Scott,

At UDS we discuss about the SRU policy for kernel team, and now hardware enablement patches are only acceptable in the form of quirks or ID additions. The patch for HP Webcam is against the policy. Please refer to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Specs/SRUPolicyReveiw

Fortunately, We already have this commit at next version of Ubuntu kernel. The HP webcam will be supported at Karmic 9.10

I am sorry to tell you this. Before the Karmic released, could you use mainline build kernel instead? You could find them at http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.30/ . I have checked, v2.6.30 has the commit.

I will leave this bug open in case of anything changed.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
assignee: Ike Panhc (ikepanhc) → nobody
status: In Progress → Triaged
Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

Hello Ike,

Sure, I will comply, although I don't agree with the logic. You would think
that hardware compatibility would be at the top of the list. As for the
kernel that I am using, I went back to using i386 under Windows, so I'm not
using the kernel you sent.

Thanks again for all of your work on this.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Ike Panhc <email address hidden> wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> At UDS we discuss about the SRU policy for kernel team, and now hardware
> enablement patches are only acceptable in the form of quirks or ID
> additions. The patch for HP Webcam is against the policy. Please refer
> to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Specs/SRUPolicyReveiw
>
> Fortunately, We already have this commit at next version of Ubuntu
> kernel. The HP webcam will be supported at Karmic 9.10
>
> I am sorry to tell you this. Before the Karmic released, could you use
> mainline build kernel instead? You could find them at
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.30/<http://kernel.ubuntu.com/%7Ekernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.30/>. I have checked,
> v2.6.30 has the commit.
>
> I will leave this bug open in case of anything changed.
>
> ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
> Status: In Progress => Triaged
>
> ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
> Assignee: Ike Panhc (ikepanhc) => (unassigned)
>
> --
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Revision history for this message
Klaus Heinrich Kiwi (klauskiwi) wrote :

I have this same webcam, running Intrepid with 2.6.30 PPA kernel (2.6.30-020630-generic).

Kernel/udev appears to recognize the cam properly and loads the gspca kernel module, but I'm seeing errors when trying to test the cam under Gnome menu Item "Preferences ->Multimedia Systems Selector", video tab (garbled video window appears, error dialog with text "Video for Linux (v4l): Could not synchronize on resource." appears).

uname -a output:
Linux klausk 2.6.30-020630-generic #020630 SMP Wed Jun 10 09:45:40 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

relevant dmesg:
----------8<------------------------
[45391.912050] usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
[45392.148561] usb 1-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[45392.161275] generic-usb 0003:15B8:6002.0005: hidraw1: USB HID v1.01 Device [HP HP Webcam] on usb-0000:00:1a.7-3/input1
[45392.249431] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
[45392.282029] gspca: main v2.5.0 registered
[45392.308485] gspca: probing 15b8:6002
[45392.308746] vc032x: check sensor header 20
[45392.452496] vc032x: Sensor ID 1200 (10)
[45392.452499] vc032x: Find Sensor PO1200
[45392.452828] gspca: probe ok
[45392.452852] usbcore: registered new interface driver vc032x
[45392.452855] vc032x: registered
[45443.606510] gspca: frame overflow 123904 > 122880
[46208.566863] gspca: frame overflow 123904 > 122880
---------->8------------------------

Please let me know how can I help in debugging this further.

 -Klaus

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

I have had some problems recording, the camera freezes up after a few
seconds, also, cannot change settings for camera.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 5:51 AM, Klaus Heinrich Kiwi <email address hidden>wrote:

> I have this same webcam, running Intrepid with 2.6.30 PPA kernel
> (2.6.30-020630-generic).
>
> Kernel/udev appears to recognize the cam properly and loads the gspca
> kernel module, but I'm seeing errors when trying to test the cam under
> Gnome menu Item "Preferences ->Multimedia Systems Selector", video tab
> (garbled video window appears, error dialog with text "Video for Linux
> (v4l): Could not synchronize on resource." appears).
>
> uname -a output:
> Linux klausk 2.6.30-020630-generic #020630 SMP Wed Jun 10 09:45:40 UTC 2009
> i686 GNU/Linux
>
> relevant dmesg:
> ----------8<------------------------
> [45391.912050] usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
> address 6
> [45392.148561] usb 1-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> [45392.161275] generic-usb 0003:15B8:6002.0005: hidraw1: USB HID v1.01
> Device [HP HP Webcam] on usb-0000:00:1a.7-3/input1
> [45392.249431] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
> [45392.282029] gspca: main v2.5.0 registered
> [45392.308485] gspca: probing 15b8:6002
> [45392.308746] vc032x: check sensor header 20
> [45392.452496] vc032x: Sensor ID 1200 (10)
> [45392.452499] vc032x: Find Sensor PO1200
> [45392.452828] gspca: probe ok
> [45392.452852] usbcore: registered new interface driver vc032x
> [45392.452855] vc032x: registered
> [45443.606510] gspca: frame overflow 123904 > 122880
> [46208.566863] gspca: frame overflow 123904 > 122880
> ---------->8------------------------
>
> Please let me know how can I help in debugging this further.
>
> -Klaus
>
> ** Attachment added: "Screenshot for the error"
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/28281173/Screenshot.png
>
> --
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Revision history for this message
Ike Panhc (ikepanhc) wrote :

Well, it looks like a wrong setting at resolution....

Do you know the resolution supported of this webcam?

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

It defaults to 640 x 480 & you can't change it or any other settings. It
does work at that setting, though. It just freezes on my machine after a few
seconds when I try to record in Cheese.

The Windows driver has from 180 x ??, 320 x 240, 640 x 480 and I believe
600 x 800, but not positive.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Ike Panhc <email address hidden> wrote:

> Well, it looks like a wrong setting at resolution....
>
> Do you know the resolution supported of this webcam?
>
> --
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Revision history for this message
Mark Cariaga (mzc) wrote :

I can confirm that the HP 2.0mp webcam is already working on 9.10 Alpha 4 (aug 22, 2009 build)DESKTOP . I'm using an acer aspire one 8gb ssd 110. Both internal(AAO) and HP 2.0MP webcam works on CHEESE.

Thank you Ubuntu Developers!!! :)

if you need more info. please let me know hot to do it. I'm basically just relying on gui. I'm not that good on command line.

Revision history for this message
Sudipto Sarkar (xtremethegreat1) wrote :

Looks like HP 2.0 MP uses a vc0323 bridge with the po1200 sensor. Mine (HP VGA cam) uses the vc0323 bridge with an hv7131r sensor. The sensor URB matrix in the vc032x.c does not work with it. However, I used the matrix from the usbvm326.inf and found that it does work, but the brightness is still too low to make it of some use.

If there are any kernel driver developers around, I need some help trying to write the driver for this camera. It's been 2 years that it has been lying in slumber, from the moment I switched to Linux.

Revision history for this message
Sudipto Sarkar (xtremethegreat1) wrote :

I have however been able to turn on the LED on the camera. The brightness is now the only problem.

Revision history for this message
Mark Cariaga (mzc) wrote :

Oopppss... the 2.0MP HP Webcam work with cheese but as mention in the correspondence, the resolution cannot be change. So when the camera is used on the Skype application it does not display the image properly. Does anyone has a workaround on this? it seems the resolution is stuck at 800x600, the drop-down menu in cheese is not working.

Revision history for this message
Mark Cariaga (mzc) wrote :

More info: I have been tsting the HP 2.0MP webcm on skype 2.1. Ubuntu 9.10 is able to detect the microphone function of the HP cam and can be used in skype and other apps. But video does not work in skype. It may be connected to the resolution that the camera is currently set. Unfortunately I dont know how to change the camera resolution other than what the GUI offers. The devise is also not identified properly as seen below:

jen@mark-desktop:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 15b8:6002
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 152e:1640 LG (HLDS)
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I have attached a screenshot of the skype video test.

Revision history for this message
AceLan Kao (acelankao) wrote :

mzc, could you upload the .inf file of the webcam driver. The resolution is hard-coded in the driver, but we could try to get some info from the .inf file to see if we could retrieve more resolution settings from it.

Revision history for this message
Mark Cariaga (mzc) wrote :

Hi AceLan,

I have given up the HP Camera. this bug can be triaged on my opinion.

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 06:45 +0000, AceLan Kao wrote:
> mzc, could you upload the .inf file of the webcam driver. The resolution
> is hard-coded in the driver, but we could try to get some info from the
> .inf file to see if we could retrieve more resolution settings from it.
>

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

I had limited results with mine. It does record, but you can't change any of
the default settings. I guess there isn't enough interest in this cam as of
yet.

Good luck!

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM, mzc <email address hidden> wrote:

> Hi AceLan,
>
> I have given up the HP Camera. this bug can be triaged on my opinion.
>
> On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 06:45 +0000, AceLan Kao wrote:
> > mzc, could you upload the .inf file of the webcam driver. The resolution
> > is hard-coded in the driver, but we could try to get some info from the
> > .inf file to see if we could retrieve more resolution settings from it.
> >
>
> --
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Revision history for this message
Andy Whitcroft (apw) wrote :

Ok this camera is supported nativly from Karmic onwards, therefore closing out tasks on later kernels.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
assignee: nobody → Andy Whitcroft (apw)
Revision history for this message
Mark Cariaga (mzc) wrote :

Thanks Andy
On Jan 31, 2011 11:01 AM, "Andy Whitcroft" <email address hidden> wrote:
> Ok this camera is supported nativly from Karmic onwards, therefore
> closing out tasks on later kernels.
>
> ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
> Status: Triaged => Fix Released
>
> ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
> Assignee: (unassigned) => Andy Whitcroft (apw)
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
>
> Title:
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
>
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
> Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> I have an HP USB webcam that came with my AMD-64 dual-core system. It
> doesn't recognize the cam in any video rendering programs. I tried
> MAKEDEV with it plugged in, but nothing still. I also added the Jasper
> libs, nothing, and tried EasyCam, Cheese, Ekiga, CameraMonitor, V4L-
> conf, and all drivers known for webcams. Is anyone working on a driver
> for this cam? HP will only support Windows.
>
> Thanks.
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/276949/+subscribe

Revision history for this message
Scott Price (scottpricepdx-gmail) wrote :

Thank you all for your hard work on this driver. The latest version of
Ubuntu, Maverick 2.6.35-25-generic works fine with this camera. It's still a
good camera, too. ;-)

I appreciate very much all of the time everyone put into getting this thing
going.

Respectfully,

Scott Price

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:02 AM, mzc <email address hidden> wrote:

> Thanks Andy
> On Jan 31, 2011 11:01 AM, "Andy Whitcroft" <email address hidden> wrote:
> > Ok this camera is supported nativly from Karmic onwards, therefore
> > closing out tasks on later kernels.
> >
> > ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
> > Status: Triaged => Fix Released
> >
> > ** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
> > Assignee: (unassigned) => Andy Whitcroft (apw)
> >
> > --
> > You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> > of the bug.
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
> >
> > Title:
> > No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
> >
> > Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
> > Fix Released
> >
> > Bug description:
> > I have an HP USB webcam that came with my AMD-64 dual-core system. It
> > doesn't recognize the cam in any video rendering programs. I tried
> > MAKEDEV with it plugged in, but nothing still. I also added the Jasper
> > libs, nothing, and tried EasyCam, Cheese, Ekiga, CameraMonitor, V4L-
> > conf, and all drivers known for webcams. Is anyone working on a driver
> > for this cam? HP will only support Windows.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/276949/+subscribe
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/276949
>
> Title:
> No driver for HP Webcam - 15b8:6002
>

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers