[Regression] Do not initiate shutdown for EPOW_SHUTDOWN_ON_UPS event

Bug #1893897 reported by bugproxy
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
The Ubuntu-power-systems project
Critical
Patricia Domingues
linux (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Xenial
Undecided
Canonical Kernel Team
Bionic
Undecided
Canonical Kernel Team
Focal
Undecided
Canonical Kernel Team
Groovy
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

SRU Justification:

[Impact]

* With commit 79872e35469b "powerpc/pseries: All events of EPOW_SYSTEM_SHUTDOWN must initiate shutdown" it was introduced that all EPOW_SYSTEM_SHUTDOWN events cause immediate shutdowns.

* But on LPARs there is a user space tool (rtas_errd) that monitor for EPOW_SHUTDOWN_ON_UPS events.

* Once rtas_errd gets an event it initiates a shutdown after predefined time.

* Therefore immediate shutdowns must not be triggered if the system is running on UPS (means for EPOW_SHUTDOWN_ON_UPS events).

[Fix]

* 90a9b102eddf6a3f987d15f4454e26a2532c1c98 90a9b102eddf "powerpc/pseries: Do not initiate shutdown when system is running on UPS"

[Test Case]

* Setup a Power system on (D)LPAR and run it on UPS with Ubuntu 16.04 or higher (kernel 4.x is needed).

* Verify that the user space tool (rtas_errd) is active and running.

* Define a time for a potential shutdown in case an EPOW_SHUTDOWN_ON_UPS event occurs.

* Trigger an EPOW_SHUTDOWN_ON_UPS event.

* Verify if the system got shutdown immediately - or after the pre-defined time.

[Regression Potential]

* The regression risk is very low, because of the very limited modification in a case statement for EPOW_SHUTDOWN_ON_UPS events.

* What may happen is that the system doesn't power off anymore if running on UPS due to the EPOW_SHUTDOWN_ON_UPS case changes - especially if there is a potential problem with rtas_errd that should monitor for these events and should initiate the delayed shutdown.

* Other than that I cannot see much potential harm.

[Other]

* The patch got upstream accepted in v5.9-rc2 and already landed in groovy's kernel 'Ubuntu-5.8.0-18.19', based on the v5.8.4 upstream stable release ticket LP 1893048.

bugproxy (bugproxy)
tags: added: architecture-ppc64le bugnameltc-187995 severity-critical targetmilestone-inin16046
Changed in ubuntu:
assignee: nobody → Ubuntu on IBM Power Systems Bug Triage (ubuntu-power-triage)
affects: ubuntu → kernel-package (Ubuntu)
Frank Heimes (fheimes)
affects: kernel-package (Ubuntu) → linux (Ubuntu)
Changed in ubuntu-power-systems:
assignee: nobody → Ubuntu on IBM Power Systems Bug Triage (ubuntu-power-triage)
Revision history for this message
Frank Heimes (fheimes) wrote :

Looks like the patch 90a9b102eddf "powerpc/pseries: Do not initiate shutdown when system is running on UPS" got upstream accepted with v5.9-rc2,
but it's already integrated in groovy's kernel 5.8 (Ubuntu-5.8.0-18.19) via the v5.8.4 upstream stable release ticket LP 1893048.
Hence SRUs are needed to get it to focal, bionic and xenial (the patch is very small and limited, just one line, so I think it'll apply to all these Ubuntu kernels).

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Groovy):
status: New → Fix Released
Changed in ubuntu-power-systems:
importance: Undecided → Critical
Revision history for this message
bugproxy (bugproxy) wrote : Comment bridged from LTC Bugzilla

------- Comment From <email address hidden> 2020-09-02 04:58 EDT-------
(In reply to comment #4)
> Looks like the patch 90a9b102eddf "powerpc/pseries: Do not initiate shutdown
> when system is running on UPS" got upstream accepted with v5.9-rc2,
> but it's already integrated in groovy's kernel 5.8 (Ubuntu-5.8.0-18.19) via
> the v5.8.4 upstream stable release ticket LP 1893048.
> Hence SRUs are needed to get it to focal, bionic and xenial (the patch is
> very small and limited, just one line, so I think it'll apply to all these
> Ubuntu kernels).

Thank you.

-Vasant

Changed in ubuntu-power-systems:
assignee: Ubuntu on IBM Power Systems Bug Triage (ubuntu-power-triage) → Patricia Domingues (patriciasd)
status: New → In Progress
description: updated
Revision history for this message
Patricia Domingues (patriciasd) wrote :

built and tested kernel versions available on:
https://people.canonical.com/~patriciasd/kernel-lp1893897/

Frank Heimes (fheimes)
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Xenial):
status: New → In Progress
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Bionic):
status: New → In Progress
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Focal):
status: New → In Progress
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Groovy):
assignee: Ubuntu on IBM Power Systems Bug Triage (ubuntu-power-triage) → Canonical Kernel Team (canonical-kernel-team)
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Focal):
assignee: nobody → Canonical Kernel Team (canonical-kernel-team)
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Groovy):
assignee: Canonical Kernel Team (canonical-kernel-team) → nobody
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Bionic):
assignee: nobody → Canonical Kernel Team (canonical-kernel-team)
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Xenial):
assignee: nobody → Canonical Kernel Team (canonical-kernel-team)
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Bionic):
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Focal):
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Xenial):
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Frank Heimes (fheimes)
Changed in ubuntu-power-systems:
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Revision history for this message
bugproxy (bugproxy) wrote :

------- Comment From <email address hidden> 2020-09-23 07:45 EDT-------
(In reply to comment #6)
> built and tested kernel versions available on:
> https://people.canonical.com/~patriciasd/kernel-lp1893897/

Looks good.

Thanks!

-Vasant

Revision history for this message
Patricia Domingues (patriciasd) wrote :

hi Vasant,

according to:
- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1895031
- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1895328
- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1893115
"powerpc/pseries: Do not initiate shutdown when system is running on UPS" has landed on proposed kernels.

Please, test the kernel in -proposed (Xenial, Bionic and Focal) and update this bug with the results.
See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed.
Thanks!

Revision history for this message
bugproxy (bugproxy) wrote :

------- Comment From <email address hidden> 2020-10-05 10:07 EDT-------
(In reply to comment #8)
> hi Vasant,
>
> according to:
> - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1895031
> - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1895328
> - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1893115
> "powerpc/pseries: Do not initiate shutdown when system is running on UPS"
> has landed on proposed kernels.
>
> Please, test the kernel in -proposed (Xenial, Bionic and Focal) and update
> this bug with the results.
> See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to
> enable and use -proposed.
> Thanks!

I have tested and changes looks good.

-Vasant

Revision history for this message
Frank Heimes (fheimes) wrote :

The commit has the hash 5f4b3a8fa343 in focal and is tagged with 'ubuntu-5.4.0-49.53'
and since we are at 5.4.0.51.54 in focal-updates:
⇒ linux-generic | 5.4.0.51.54 | focal-updates | ppc64el
this is now released for focal, hence updating the status of the focal entry to Fix Released.

The commit has the hash cd712137c681 in bionic and is tagged with 'Ubuntu-4.15.0-119.120'
and since we are at 4.15.0.121.108 in bionic-updates:
⇒ linux-generic | 4.15.0.121.108 | bionic-updates | ppc64el
this is now released for bionic, hence updating the status of the bionic entry to Fix Released.

The commit has the hash 3545f96c525b in xenial and is tagged with:
Ubuntu-4.4.0-191.221
Ubuntu-4.4.0-192.222
Ubuntu-4.4.0-193.224
and since we are at 4.4.0.193.199 in xenial-updates:
⇒ linux-generic | 4.4.0.193.199 | xenial-updates | ppc64el
this is now released for xenial, hence updating the status of the xenial entry to Fix Released.

And with that closing the entire bug as Fix Released, too.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Focal):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Bionic):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Xenial):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Changed in ubuntu-power-systems:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Revision history for this message
bugproxy (bugproxy) wrote :

------- Comment From <email address hidden> 2020-10-19 05:54 EDT-------
(In reply to comment #10)
> The commit has the hash 5f4b3a8fa343 in focal and is tagged with
> 'ubuntu-5.4.0-49.53'
> and since we are at 5.4.0.51.54 in focal-updates:
> ? linux-generic | 5.4.0.51.54 | focal-updates | ppc64el
> this is now released for focal, hence updating the status of the focal entry
> to Fix Released.
>
> The commit has the hash cd712137c681 in bionic and is tagged with
> 'Ubuntu-4.15.0-119.120'
> and since we are at 4.15.0.121.108 in bionic-updates:
> ? linux-generic | 4.15.0.121.108 | bionic-updates | ppc64el
> this is now released for bionic, hence updating the status of the bionic
> entry to Fix Released.
>
> The commit has the hash 3545f96c525b in xenial and is tagged with:
> Ubuntu-4.4.0-191.221
> Ubuntu-4.4.0-192.222
> Ubuntu-4.4.0-193.224
> and since we are at 4.4.0.193.199 in xenial-updates:
> ? linux-generic | 4.4.0.193.199 | xenial-updates | ppc64el
> this is now released for xenial, hence updating the status of the xenial
> entry to Fix Released.
>
> And with that closing the entire bug as Fix Released, too.

Thanks!

-Vasant

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers