Poweroff or reboot hangs. Laptop won't shutdown. 16.04

Bug #1594023 reported by Elio on 2016-06-18
212
This bug affects 44 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux (Ubuntu)
High
damiano

Bug Description

This is about a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 install on a new laptop (asus x540sa). After pressing the shutdown button in the start menu; the shutdown procedure starts and in the final splash screen the system just hangs. Tried a second time by pressing Esc once the splash screen showed up and I saw that it reaches the line "Reached target shutdown" and just stops there, no matter how long I leave it there the machine won't turn off.

I also tried a Kubuntu 16.04 fresh install on the same machine and it hanged too at the final splash screen where the pulsating logo stopped. Then I tried with Esc only to see the exact same line in the end.

The issue seems to affect lately quite many users as shown by the google results of the past month / week or so.

I have also tried shutting down from the console with shutdown -and all the parameters after that suggested online- and sudo poweroff but unfortunately they didn't do the trick. The exact same situation occurred.

Unmounting the swap as suggested online doesn't work.

Also rebooting the system is not working either due to the same issue.

So right now the only way for me to poweroff the machine is to press the power button on the keyboard continuously.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Install OS
2.Do something, anything or nothing
3.Try to shutdown or reboot

Actual Results:
The computer is not shutting down: "Reached target shutdown" and hangs there.

Expected Results:
Powering off the machine.

For what it's worth, closing the lid won't suspend the system, but using the menu buttons for suspension will do it.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in systemd (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed

exactly the same here on my compaq presario c500

Changed in systemd (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
importance: High → Critical
jtarin (jtarin) wrote :

Same here

Don Nadie (don.nadie) wrote :

Just want to say I have the same problem.

jtarin (jtarin) wrote :

I solved this in my situation by adding the term "acpi=force" to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT".

jtarin (jtarin) wrote :

In my situation I solved the problem by editing my Grub configuration.

 GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force"

damiano (damiano1996) wrote :

I have the same problem with a notebook asus f402sa and I couldn't resolve it neither editing the grub configuration as you said.

Changed in systemd (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → damiano (damiano1996)
sciasbat (fabio-forno) wrote :

Same bug with an asus x540s

Martin Pitt (pitti) on 2016-08-14
affects: systemd (Ubuntu) → linux (Ubuntu)
Elio (eliodisegno) wrote :

After the last update my asus x540sa notebook seems to shut down and restart properly. Closing the lid still doesn't suspend the system though.

Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury) wrote :

Does this bug still exist for folks after applying the latest updates as Elio did in comment #10?

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
importance: Critical → High
jtarin (jtarin) wrote :

I'm still having the problem even after all current updates.

sciasbat (fabio-forno) wrote :

Fot me it's fixed with the latest update. Still very slow, you need need to wait up to 1 minute for the shutdown, but it works

Tari (tari-sk) wrote :

After yesterday update still not working for me. System still stuck on poweroff.

Michael Yarv (mixa-poison) wrote :

Hello,

I have exact the same problem with ASUS notebook.
Is there any quick fix for it?
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force" didn't help me.

francis (a-c-f) wrote :

Hi, same problem here. I have lenovo yoga 500....

Tari (tari-sk) wrote :

When can we expect the FIX???

Andrew Smith (z-andrew-4) wrote :

I run LTS releases and ran into this Shutdown failure about the time the upgrade notification came through from 14.04, so did not investigate closely as I suspected it would go when I upgraded to 16.04. It didn't. Mine is a pretty standard i7 desktop with an SSD. I have noticed the following:
*When it fails I can either Suspend it or pop up a terminal and do "shutdown -h now". Both work immediately but,
*If Suspend is used, the following time I can do a normal Shutdown and it works normally. The normal Shutdown after that fails.
*If the terminal command is used, the following time I do a normal Shutdown it fails.
So somehow Suspend circumvents the problem for one time. I am no command line guru so I don't know what logs or files I should be looking at. Any suggestions?

Jakub Jankiewicz (jcubic) wrote :

I have similar problem but only reboot is not working and it hangs after display is turn off, the keyboard is highlighted but it don't respond to keyboard brightness buttons.

Thomas Franke (t-aus-o) wrote :

Again: When can we expect a FIX???

VinDSL (perfect-pecker) wrote :

Ran into this problem on my Dell 7010 i5 desktop machine, after doing a fresh 16.10 install -- first time it's happened with any OS that I've run on it.

In my case, I'm getting DRDY ERRs on shutdown/restart. Hangs for several minutes with my SSD activity light lit up solid. Eventually the errors time out, and it shuts down, but it's a painfully long process.

I downgraded the kernel to 4.4.x for shiggles. The LTS enablement stack, graphic stack, and so forth were foobar, of course, but it otherwise booted and shutdown normally.

It smells like a kernel bug, to me, at this point. I'll investigate further and post back, if I can put a finger on it.

Blackbug (blackbug-nx) wrote :

I am also facing the issue since a week. I upgraded few libs and installed xcfe DE on kubuntu and started having this issue. I have tried to modify the grub as well by adding the acpi line but doesnt help.

VinDSL (perfect-pecker) wrote :

UPDATE: I'm more convinced than ever, that this is a kernel bug.

I multi-booted the following 64-bit distros on my Dell 7010 i5-3470:
Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak, Linux Kernel 4.8.x (as described above)
openSUSE Tumbleweed, Linux Kernel 4.8.x (same problem)
Peppermint 7, Linux Kernel 4.4.x (no problems)

As an aside:
Windows 10 Pro (no problems)

Blackbug (blackbug-nx) wrote :

If I switch to runlevel 2,3 or 4 and then shutdown it successfully shutsoff.

This bug is seriously annoying now. I damaged my filesystem because of frequent improper shutdown.

So is the only solution kernel regression?

On Nov 3, 2016 7:35 AM, "Blackbug" <email address hidden> wrote:

> If I switch to runlevel 2,3 or 4 and then shutdown it successfully
> shutsoff.
>
> This bug is seriously annoying now. I damaged my filesystem because of
> frequent improper shutdown.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1594023
>
> Title:
> Poweroff or reboot hangs. Laptop won't shutdown. 16.04
>
> Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> This is about a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 install on a new laptop (asus
> x540sa). After pressing the shutdown button in the start menu; the
> shutdown procedure starts and in the final splash screen the system
> just hangs. Tried a second time by pressing Esc once the splash screen
> showed up and I saw that it reaches the line "Reached target shutdown"
> and just stops there, no matter how long I leave it there the machine
> won't turn off.
>
> I also tried a Kubuntu 16.04 fresh install on the same machine and it
> hanged too at the final splash screen where the pulsating logo
> stopped. Then I tried with Esc only to see the exact same line in the
> end.
>
> The issue seems to affect lately quite many users as shown by the
> google results of the past month / week or so.
>
> I have also tried shutting down from the console with shutdown -and
> all the parameters after that suggested online- and sudo poweroff but
> unfortunately they didn't do the trick. The exact same situation
> occurred.
>
> Unmounting the swap as suggested online doesn't work.
>
> Also rebooting the system is not working either due to the same issue.
>
> So right now the only way for me to poweroff the machine is to press
> the power button on the keyboard continuously.
>
> Reproducible: Always
>
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1.Install OS
> 2.Do something, anything or nothing
> 3.Try to shutdown or reboot
>
> Actual Results:
> The computer is not shutting down: "Reached target shutdown" and hangs
> there.
>
> Expected Results:
> Powering off the machine.
>
> For what it's worth, closing the lid won't suspend the system, but
> using the menu buttons for suspension will do it.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/
> 1594023/+subscriptions
>

Aang (aang-aero) wrote :

I have a Dell 14z-5423 - same issue on Ubuntu 14.04.5 and 16.04.1 :-(

Blackbug (blackbug-nx) wrote :

Okay, I got it fixed for now on my machine by reinstalling the current kernel. After this I can restart/shutdown without getting hung.

Not sure if this is the generic workaround.

jtarin (jtarin) wrote :

Works for me too with kernel upgrade

On Nov 3, 2016 1:40 PM, "Blackbug" <email address hidden> wrote:

> Okay, I got it fixed for now on my machine by reinstalling the current
> kernel. After this I can restart/shutdown without getting hung.
>
> Not sure if this is the generic workaround.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1594023
>
> Title:
> Poweroff or reboot hangs. Laptop won't shutdown. 16.04
>
> Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> This is about a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 install on a new laptop (asus
> x540sa). After pressing the shutdown button in the start menu; the
> shutdown procedure starts and in the final splash screen the system
> just hangs. Tried a second time by pressing Esc once the splash screen
> showed up and I saw that it reaches the line "Reached target shutdown"
> and just stops there, no matter how long I leave it there the machine
> won't turn off.
>
> I also tried a Kubuntu 16.04 fresh install on the same machine and it
> hanged too at the final splash screen where the pulsating logo
> stopped. Then I tried with Esc only to see the exact same line in the
> end.
>
> The issue seems to affect lately quite many users as shown by the
> google results of the past month / week or so.
>
> I have also tried shutting down from the console with shutdown -and
> all the parameters after that suggested online- and sudo poweroff but
> unfortunately they didn't do the trick. The exact same situation
> occurred.
>
> Unmounting the swap as suggested online doesn't work.
>
> Also rebooting the system is not working either due to the same issue.
>
> So right now the only way for me to poweroff the machine is to press
> the power button on the keyboard continuously.
>
> Reproducible: Always
>
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1.Install OS
> 2.Do something, anything or nothing
> 3.Try to shutdown or reboot
>
> Actual Results:
> The computer is not shutting down: "Reached target shutdown" and hangs
> there.
>
> Expected Results:
> Powering off the machine.
>
> For what it's worth, closing the lid won't suspend the system, but
> using the menu buttons for suspension will do it.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/
> 1594023/+subscriptions
>

Blackbug (blackbug-nx) wrote :

I again have the same issue. Although not everytime. Its hard to reason why it hangs at times. If it happens frequently will reinstall the kernel once again.

Could be related to this bug?

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=187061
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=151631

It affects kernels >= 4.8 on (as far as I know) any distro.
I'm experiencing problems on both Fedora 24 and Ubuntu 16.10 running kernel 4.8 on a Dell Latitude E5450 with a Samsung 850 SSD.

VinDSL (perfect-pecker) wrote :

@ Daniele Viganò (daniele-vigano)

We're both experiencing the same shutdown problems -- same OEM -- same kernels -- same Samsung 850 SSDs.

The only obvious difference is you have a Dell Latitude E5450 laptop, and I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF desktop.

Since neither of us are experiencing shutdown problems with kernels <= 4.7, yes, I would judge that it relates to the bug(s) you listed above.

b-ob (b-ob) wrote :

Same problem with a fresh install of Lubuntu 16.10. No problem at all with Lubuntu 16.04. I've tried a live Kubuntu 16.10: same problem. It seems to be a bug related to kernel 4.8, since live Fedora 24 (kernel 4.7) is fine but live beta Fedora 25 (kernel 4.8) doesn't shut down.

It seems that the computer (Dell Optiplex 9010 with SSD) is trying to access the disk after the line "Reached target shutdown", since it gives some errors like "ata1.00: exception Emask...", "ata1.00: failed command..." and the like. After a while, it prints "ata1: reset failed, giving up" and finally a "reboot: Power down" and then turn the power off (5 to 10 minutes after having printed the line "Reached target shutdown").

So, it seems we are all on Dell with a Samsung SSD 850 drive. Next week I'll have a chance to try a different SSD from Kingston. I'll see if the bug is still reproducible.

Blackbug (blackbug-nx) wrote :

I have HP envy ultrabook. However, I do have samsung 850 SSD..so i guess it all comes to SSD then

VinDSL (perfect-pecker) wrote :

My biggest fear is that during one of these 'freezing' episodes my Samsung 850 SSD will remount the root partition as read-only. I've had several HDDs go read-only, over the years, and it's a PITA to recover from it, especially in RAID configs.

Somebody will to need to handle this situation upstream. Two likely scenarios would be either a Linux kernel patch, and/or a firmware upgrade from Samsung. In the meantime, we're all sitting on ticking time bombs.

I suppose it goes without saying, but make sure you're fully backed-up !!!

It seems that the code causing the bug will be reverted in 4.9-rc7: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=187061#c15

EWoldhek (3y9-elis-fkz) wrote :

Same here on Samsung Ultrabook core i5 after upgrading to 16.10.
Linux version 4.8.0-27-generic (buildd@lgw01-11) (gcc version 6.2.0 20161005 (Ubuntu 6.2.0-5ubuntu12) ) #29-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 20 21:03:13 UTC 2016
SSD: Samsung MZNTE128
After "Reached target Shutdown" i get:
- ata1.00: exeption Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen
- ata1.00: failed command: Flush CACHE
Some other lines with - ata1: comreset failed

Hope you guys can find it.....

Regards, Erik

VinDSL (perfect-pecker) wrote :

Kernel 4.9-rc7 fixed it !!!

I waited until the Ubu Mainline kernel was available, just to make sure.

LINK: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.9-rc7/

@Daniele Viganò, thanks for all the effort(s) you went to, over in the mailing lists and bugzilla, to make this happen.

Good job !

Davidiam (hectorjerezano) wrote :

I can confirm On my dell laptop E7450 With kernel 4.8 BUG reported here. With 4.9 rc7 this BUG is FIX!

EWoldhek (3y9-elis-fkz) wrote :

Will it be fixed in 4.8 through standard udpates?

Blackbug (blackbug-nx) wrote :

I have installed the 4.9-rc7

kk@blackbug:~$ uname -r
4.9.0-040900rc7-generic

However, laptop still hangs on shutdown. At times the shutdown is proper and within seconds. However, most of the time it takes more than 5mins to shutdown or it just hangs.

Does anyone else have the same issue?

Renê Barbosa (renebarbosa) wrote :

@Blackbug Yeah, same thing here. I'm using the same kernel version on a Dell Inspiron 5447.

humblyonhisground (lazarev-z) wrote :

Installing kernel 4.9 as per http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2016/12/install-linux-kernel-4-9-ubuntu-linux-mint/
fixed the shutdown/restart problem for me on Kubuntu 16.04.

Thinkren (thinkren) wrote :

Has it been confirmed that only Samsung SSD are affected? I'm experiencing the same problem on a Gigabyte Brix (GB-BXBT-1900) running on a Toshiba OCZ TR150 (120gb). Just installed Lubuntu 16.04 LTS and stumbled on this bug.

Thinkren (thinkren) wrote :

Never mind. Despite the dirty shutdown, a subsequent post-installation update resolved the problem.

Renê Barbosa (renebarbosa) wrote :

This is definitely NOT a kernel problem.

I was using the kernel 4.4 of Ubuntu 16.04 in the same machine running Ubuntu 14.04 and this problem never happened.

My machine specs:

Dell Inspiron 5447
Core i5-4210U
8 GB RAM
SSD 480 GB SanDisk
Intel/Radeon R7 M265 Hybrid Graphics

In 16.04, these hangs during shutdown occurred in the following kernels:

4.4 (Default)
4.8 (HWE-Edge from repositories)
4.9 (Mainline)

This is not a systemd problem?

ezfox (ezfox) wrote :

Same here, Alienware M11xR1 Laptop running Xubuntu 16.10 on a OCZ Vertex SSD.

Tried all thing suggested above but nothing helped.
When booting live Xubuntu from stick, reboot and shutdown are working fine.

Jill Murray (jillmurray) wrote :

I am having the same problem, with cinnamon 18 3.0.7 the Acer laptop F54os freezes on the logo when shutting down. It shuts down correctly when I open a terminal and use sudo poweroff

My Dell Optiplex 7040 with SSD worked fine with the 4.8 kernel. But after upgrading its firmware from 1.4.5 to either 1.5.4 or 1.5.7 I had the DRDY error at shutdown too. Kernels 4.4 and 4.9 shut down cleanly. Afer downgrading the firmware back to 1.4.5 kernel 4.8 shuts down cleanly again.

A similar problem is with our Optiplex 9020s (with hard disks). In the pool room that I upgraded to firmware A17 recently, kernel 4.8 shuts down with the DRDY error. Kernel 4.4 shuts down fine. In the pool room with the 9020s that have older firmware A07 or A12, kernel 4.8 shuts down fine too.

Ruslan Gol (russgolubchik) wrote :

Same issue with my Dell E5450. Created bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-certification/+bug/1666764

No resolution yet. Please fix!

Ruslan Gol (russgolubchik) wrote :

Same issue with my Dell E5450, Crucial MX100 SSD running Ubuntu 16.10, 4.8 Kernel,. Laptop shuts down instead of reboot.

Created bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-certification/+bug/1666764

No resolution yet. Please fix!

Ruslan Gol (russgolubchik) wrote :

Just fixed it by following this:
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2016/12/install-linux-kernel-4-9-ubuntu-linux-mint/

My OS 64bit, download kernel accordingly:

1. cd /tmp/
2. wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.9/linux-image-4.9.0-040900-generic_4.9.0-040900.201612111631_amd64.deb
3. sudo dpkg -i *.deb
4. reboot

uname -a
Linux ruslan 4.9.0-040900-generic #201612111631 SMP Sun Dec 11 21:33:00 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks!

Axel Schmidt (arties) wrote :

Thanks to Ruslan Gol, this worked for me too!

I have a lenovo thinkpad p51s with a SAMSUNG MZVLW512HMJP-000L7 512gb ssd and kubuntu 16.10.
After update the kernel to 4.9.0-040900-generic, shutdown only need some seconds and not minutes like before! And no cfs-unmount timeout errors anymore...

Jelle De Loecker (skerit) wrote :

I have a Dell XPS 13 developer edition, I upgraded to Ubuntu 17.04 and it still doesn't shutdown properly.

By the way: 6 shutdown jobs (5 that are for unmounting the encrypted home folder and 1 for my NFS mount) time out before the "shutdown target" is reached.

Jelle De Loecker (skerit) wrote :

Follow up to my post 54: I applied the fix posted in bug #1577120 and now unmounting the NFS drive works, and the system shuts down just fine.

So I would guess the real underlying issue many people here have is that, even though systemd is terminating timed out jobs it doesn't actually shut down the system.

Ed Huyer (arcanum3000) wrote :

Any word on this getting fixed? I'm seeing it on freshly installed 16.04.2 servers running kernel 4.4.0-83. They hit "Reached target Shutdown" and just sit there when I reboot them. I've tried forcing acpi, as well as tweaking various BIOS options and reducing the job timeout settings for systemd.

Yovan Zhuo Jiawan (jiabanster) wrote :

please refer to my problem in the following thread:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/642167

I note that System D (aka system 500) is a bit new. I am one of the casualty trying to transit into this new system.

Luckily for me, i manage to clear the problematic symptoms of not shutting down by removing a Sysvinit service using rc-local.service which i created myself.

I hope i can point someone in the right direction. Happy problem solving.

Cedric Bhihe (cedric-bhihe) wrote :

Same issue on fresh UEFI/GPT install of Zesty (ubuntu 17.04 with Gnome Desktop) on a brand new Dell XPS 15 9560.
Editing /etc/default/grub with:

 GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force"

seems to solve (or supress ?) the pbm.

Hey! (press-1p-start) wrote :

I have the same problem on a Toshiba a210.

I was trying to install Elementary OS Loki when i found out.

Elementary Loki (16.04) with kernel 4.10 - Reboot and Shutdown doesn't work.

Elementary Loki (16.04) with kernel 4.4 - Shutdown works, but reboot makes the Bios screen (toshiba logo) freeze.

Ubuntu 16.04 liveusb with 4.4 have the same problem as Loki 4.4.

If you press quickly the f2 button, after some time you see the hard disk led light up and the computer enters the boot screen, but when you try ctrl+alt+del it goes back to the freeze. Only the power button makes the problem go away.

" https://forum.level1techs.com/t/ubuntu-16-04-hanging-on-reboot/112413 " This person seems to have the same issue, but on a HP laptop.

Does anybody knows what could be causing the Bios screen freeze?

Thanks.

Hey! (press-1p-start) wrote :

I have some more things to add.

On 4.10, if you reboot or shut down as soon as you can, it works, but it continues to make the bios screen freeze.

I don't know if is 16.04 or a >4.4 kernel that is causing this, but it's still present on 4.10.

When the computer reboots, i see this two failed lines before the computer reboots:

[ Failed ] failed unmounting /rofs
[ Failed ] failed unmouting /cdrom.mount.

Then the computer reboots and the bios freezes.

If i press the F12 (boot device selector) and wait some time, i can choose the liveusb, but the os gets stuck on the spash screen and i can see this message:

ata1: softreset failed (device not ...)
No medium found can't open /dev/sr0:
No medium found can't open /dev/sr0:
No medium found can't open /dev/sr0:
No medium found can't open /dev/sr0:
No medium found can't open /dev/sr0:

I'm testing this on a live usb btw.

Any idea?

giovano iannotti (iannotti) wrote :

I have the same issue, fresh 17.10 install, Asus x756U, Intel® HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2), Intel® Core™ i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz × 4. I have tried proprietary nVidia driver and xorg. It's the same thing. I also have a wifi dropping issue.

Editing GRUB didn't make any difference.

Noor Jahesh (noorjahesh) wrote :

I had the same issue after installing fresh Ubunut 17.04 on laptop Dell Inspiron, after installing kernel 4.9 ,the issue has been solved.

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2016/12/install-linux-kernel-4-9-ubuntu-linux-mint/

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Related questions

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.