16.04 PPC, unable to boot: "Problem Loading in-kernel X.509 Certificate (-74)"

Bug #1541151 reported by ernsteiswuerfel on 2016-02-03
26
This bug affects 5 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

I am not able to boot my Power Mac 7,3 with the Ubuntu MATE 16.04 daily-live iso.

This has been the case since the 4.3.x kernel series and is now with current 4.4.x kernel. At the time the 4.2.x kernel was used **booting the iso went fine!**

During the boot-process I get following error messages:

"Problem Loading in-kernel X.509 Certificate (-74)"
[...]
mount: mounting /dev/sda10 on /cdrom failed: no such device
stdin: not a typewriter
mount: mounting /dev/sda9 on /cdrom failed: no such device
mount: mounting /dev/sr0 on /cdrom failed: no such device
[...]
(initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system

The stdin: and mount: lines get repeated several 10 time. At last the boot process stops wuth the (initramfs) line, dropping me in a busybox shell.

description: updated
description: updated
description: updated
Fritz Hudnut (este-el-paz) wrote :

For my PM 3,1 install of 16.04 Alpha1/2??? when I boot the system I go through the Yaboot screens, then it goes to a black screen and I get the same errors Ernst has mentioned, the "problem loading kernel cert" . . . and if I wait a minute it then goes to the "stdn: not a typewriter" lines . . . then a few more lines until it says something "force TTY" . . . .

But the difference is that then the lightdm log in window loads and I can log into a nice GUI display . . . only problem there is the desktop background image and other images are roughly rendered, but text is crisp and clear . . . . This is the AGP Sawtooth kicked up to 1.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, and the ATI Rage128 video card.

Ubuntu QA Website (ubuntuqa) wrote :

This bug has been reported on the Ubuntu ISO testing tracker.

A list of all reports related to this bug can be found here:
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/reports/bugs/1541151

tags: added: iso-testing
luigiburdo (intermediadc) wrote :

Same problem here i have Quad G5

Josh (slatton86) wrote :

I am also having this issue on my PowerMac 7,3 2hz DP, Radeon 9600XT

Josh (slatton86) wrote :

I forgot to mention,

This happens when booted from DVD, USB, and a hard drive partition. I also tried "toram" from all sources with the same result.

"mount: mounting /dev/sda9 on /cdrom failed: no such device
mount: mounting /dev/sr0 on /cdrom failed: no such device
[...]
(initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system"

ernsteiswuerfel (erhard-f) wrote :

Seems to be a hardware specific issue. Today I tried the daily iso on a Power Book 5,6 and again on a Power Mac 7,3. On the PM the same iso still is not able to boot as described, whereas on the PB booting and installing is possible despite errors.

Errors displayed on the PB:
/init: line 7: can't open /dev/sr0: no medium found
(repeated 34 times)
pwconv: failed to change the mode of /etc/passwd- to 600

no longer affects: ubuntu-mate

This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem. From a terminal window please run:

apport-collect 1541151

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the Ubuntu Kernel Team.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
ernsteiswuerfel (erhard-f) wrote :

apport-collect 1541151

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

I am unable to run "apport-collect 1541151", because the iso does not boot to a stage where network or file storage is accessible. I am mererly thrown out to a busybox shell.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
Fritz Hudnut (este-el-paz) wrote :

If no one else gets to it before I do, I can run this command in a day or so; have to reboot in 16.04 side. I get this error as well, but it doesn't prevent the system from booting in my PM 3,1 . . . but, these cert errors continue to show up in the brief TTY window before the log in window shows up. Happy to run apport-collect when I get a chance.

ernsteiswuerfel (erhard-f) wrote :

Yay, with todays Version: 20160322 my PowerMac 7,3 is able to boot now! Many thanks for the people and efforts involved!

Is the "problem loading in-kernel . . . " message still showing?? Are you
able to send the "apport-collect" on this issue? Still too busy to jump
over to 16.04 side of things, yet.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 9:42 AM, ernsteiswuerfel <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Yay, with todays Version: 20160322 my PowerMac 7,3 is able to boot now!
> Many thanks for the people and efforts involved!
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1541151
>
> Title:
> 16.04 PPC, unable to boot: "Problem Loading in-kernel X.509
> Certificate (-74)"
>
> Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> I am not able to boot my Power Mac 7,3 with the Ubuntu MATE 16.04
> daily-live iso.
>
> This has been the case since the 4.3.x kernel series and is now with
> current 4.4.x kernel. At the time the 4.2.x kernel was used **booting
> the iso went fine!**
>
> During the boot-process I get following error messages:
>
> "Problem Loading in-kernel X.509 Certificate (-74)"
> [...]
> mount: mounting /dev/sda10 on /cdrom failed: no such device
> stdin: not a typewriter
> mount: mounting /dev/sda9 on /cdrom failed: no such device
> mount: mounting /dev/sr0 on /cdrom failed: no such device
> [...]
> (initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system
>
> The stdin: and mount: lines get repeated several 10 time. At last the
> boot process stops wuth the (initramfs) line, dropping me in a busybox
> shell.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1541151/+subscriptions
>

ernsteiswuerfel (erhard-f) wrote :

Nope, the "problem loadin in-kernel . . ." message is gone, at least on my PM7,3 which was affected. I could send the apport-collect now, as my machine boots now. But is this still of use?

Fritz Hudnut (este-el-paz) wrote :

@ernst:

You were the OP on this one, but, if the problem is gone for you, doesn't
seem like there is any point. Last I saw in MATE I still get the error
script, but it never interfered with booting.

What about Luigi Burdo? He posted here as well . . . is this script
happening AND he can't boot?? so there is still "a problem" for him? Or
one or two other guys posted . . . . Best would be someone for whom the
problem is still happening . . . .

F

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 5:38 PM, ernsteiswuerfel <email address hidden>
wrote:

> Nope, the "problem loadin in-kernel . . ." message is gone, at least on
> my PM7,3 which was affected. I could send the apport-collect now, as my
> machine boots now. But is this still of use?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1541151
>
> Title:
> 16.04 PPC, unable to boot: "Problem Loading in-kernel X.509
> Certificate (-74)"
>
> Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> I am not able to boot my Power Mac 7,3 with the Ubuntu MATE 16.04
> daily-live iso.
>
> This has been the case since the 4.3.x kernel series and is now with
> current 4.4.x kernel. At the time the 4.2.x kernel was used **booting
> the iso went fine!**
>
> During the boot-process I get following error messages:
>
> "Problem Loading in-kernel X.509 Certificate (-74)"
> [...]
> mount: mounting /dev/sda10 on /cdrom failed: no such device
> stdin: not a typewriter
> mount: mounting /dev/sda9 on /cdrom failed: no such device
> mount: mounting /dev/sr0 on /cdrom failed: no such device
> [...]
> (initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system
>
> The stdin: and mount: lines get repeated several 10 time. At last the
> boot process stops wuth the (initramfs) line, dropping me in a busybox
> shell.
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1541151/+subscriptions
>

ernsteiswuerfel (erhard-f) wrote :

Just now I read that Luigi Burdo posted on the forums his Quad G5 boots now so I will mark this bug as fixed.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers