Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0042] is not supported

Bug #1484159 reported by Sandeep Singh on 2015-08-12
156
This bug affects 26 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
HWE Next
High
Phidias
linux (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned
Xenial
Undecided
Unassigned
Yakkety
Medium
Unassigned
linux-firmware (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
Xenial
Medium
Phidias
Yakkety
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

This card remains unsupported out-of-the-box by the ath10k_pci kernel module. At this point, it looks like kvalo's ath10k-firmware repo just needs to be pulled in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW TO GET THIS CARD TO WORK:

I don't actually have this card, but AndyP was able to get this card to work by following my instructions, so I've written them here in a clearer format.

1) Use a kernel that supports this card

Support for this card is not present in kernel 4.2. However, it was added at some point between then and kernel 4.4. If you're running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or above, your kernel is fine; skip to the next step. If you're running Ubuntu 15.10 or below, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds for info on installing a newer kernel. Alternatively, you can use backports. This is a lot more work, but if you really need to keep using an older kernel for some reason, there are some guides to installing backports in the comments below.

2) Get the latest firmware from https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware/archive/master.zip

     wget https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware/archive/master.zip

3) Unzip the downloaded file. Inside the ath10k-firmware-master folder is a folder named QCA9377. Copy the QCA9377 folder to /lib/firmware/ath10k:

    unzip master.zip
    sudo cp -r ath10k-firmware-master/QCA9377/ /lib/firmware/ath10k/

4) Run the following commands to rename the necessary firmware file:

    cd /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/
    sudo mv firmware-5.bin_WLAN.TF.1.0-00267-1 firmware-5.bin

5) Reboot your computer. Run "lshw -C network" to see if your card is recognized. You can delete the files you downloaded earlier:

    cd ~
    rm master.zip
    rm -r ath10k-firmware-master/

Please tell me if these instructions are working for you.

The original bug description follows.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
Qualcomm Atheros Device [168c:0042] (rev 30) is not supported by linux kernal. Please add support.

Thanks

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
Package: linux-image-3.13.0-61-generic 3.13.0-61.100
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-61.100-generic 3.13.11-ckt22
Uname: Linux 3.13.0-61-generic i686
ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.11
Architecture: i386
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC0: ubuntu14 1658 F.... pulseaudio
 /dev/snd/controlC1: ubuntu14 1658 F.... pulseaudio
CurrentDesktop: Unity
Date: Wed Aug 12 20:31:24 2015
HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=0483444a-0d9a-4215-b36b-4aee75fd9ec0
InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-08-11 (0 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release i386 (20140722.2)
IwConfig:
 lo no wireless extensions.

 eth0 no wireless extensions.
MachineType: Acer Aspire E5-573
ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-61-generic root=UUID=72a8a100-d5ec-4e9d-8bc5-45695001a29c ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
RelatedPackageVersions:
 linux-restricted-modules-3.13.0-61-generic N/A
 linux-backports-modules-3.13.0-61-generic N/A
 linux-firmware 1.127.15
SourcePackage: linux
StagingDrivers: rts5139
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
dmi.bios.date: 04/20/2015
dmi.bios.vendor: Insyde Corp.
dmi.bios.version: V1.11
dmi.board.asset.tag: Type2 - Board Asset Tag
dmi.board.name: ZORO_BH
dmi.board.vendor: Acer
dmi.board.version: Type2 - A01 Board Version
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: Chassis Manufacturer
dmi.chassis.version: Chassis Version
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnInsydeCorp.:bvrV1.11:bd04/20/2015:svnAcer:pnAspireE5-573:pvrV3.72:rvnAcer:rnZORO_BH:rvrType2-A01BoardVersion:cvnChassisManufacturer:ct10:cvrChassisVersion:
dmi.product.name: Aspire E5-573
dmi.product.version: V3.72
dmi.sys.vendor: Acer

Sandeep Singh (crazzyshooter) wrote :

This change was made by a bot.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
summary: - Qualcomm Atheros Device [168c:0042] (rev 30) not working on Ubuntu 14.04
+ Qualcomm Atheros Device [168c:0042] (rev 30) not working on Ubuntu

Would it be possible for you to test the latest upstream kernel? Refer to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds . Please test the latest v4.2 kernel[0].

If this bug is fixed in the mainline kernel, please add the following tag 'kernel-fixed-upstream'.

If the mainline kernel does not fix this bug, please add the tag: 'kernel-bug-exists-upstream'.

Once testing of the upstream kernel is complete, please mark this bug as "Confirmed".

Thanks in advance.

[0] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.2-rc6-unstable/

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: Confirmed → Triaged
tags: added: kernel-da-key
Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury) wrote :

I don't see any specific code in the mainline kernel for this device, but it's worth testing since many of the upstream maintainers as for that.

This could be related to bug 1436940 , which is waiting on new firmware from upstream.

Sandeep Singh (crazzyshooter) wrote :

Thanks joseph for an update. I tried to test to kernel you mentioned above but it didn't work.

I have attached a file with this message. Please have a look.

I do hope that there will be a support in future.

tags: added: kernel-bug-exists-upstream
removed: apport-bug i386 kernel-da-key staging trusty
Anubhav (anubhav7991) wrote :

Same problem , same device running ubuntu 15.04 . any help would be great

Po-Hsu Lin (cypressyew) wrote :

These tags shouldn't be removed.

tags: added: apport-bug i386 kernel-da-key staging trusty
Mr Bill (fnoz123-foo) wrote :

I am also seeing this.

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros Device [168c:0042] (rev 30)
 Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device [105b:e09a]

Same machine - Acer Aspire E5-573

Yayai (yayai) wrote :

Different machine: Acer ASpire E14 - E5-473G but same issue

Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros Device [168c:0042] (rev 30)
Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device [105b:e09a]

Tiago Sarlo (tfsarlo) wrote :

no news ?

Not until now. :/
On 23-Oct-2015 5:41 pm, "Tiago Sarlo" <email address hidden> wrote:

> no news ?
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1477505).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1484159
>
> Title:
> Qualcomm Atheros Device [168c:0042] (rev 30) not working on Ubuntu
>
> Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> Hi,
> Qualcomm Atheros Device [168c:0042] (rev 30) is not supported by linux
> kernal. Please add support.
>
> Thanks
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: linux-image-3.13.0-61-generic 3.13.0-61.100
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-61.100-generic 3.13.11-ckt22
> Uname: Linux 3.13.0-61-generic i686
> ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.11
> Architecture: i386
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0: ubuntu14 1658 F.... pulseaudio
> /dev/snd/controlC1: ubuntu14 1658 F.... pulseaudio
> CurrentDesktop: Unity
> Date: Wed Aug 12 20:31:24 2015
> HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=0483444a-0d9a-4215-b36b-4aee75fd9ec0
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-08-11 (0 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release i386
> (20140722.2)
> IwConfig:
> lo no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0 no wireless extensions.
> MachineType: Acer Aspire E5-573
> ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-61-generic
> root=UUID=72a8a100-d5ec-4e9d-8bc5-45695001a29c ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> linux-restricted-modules-3.13.0-61-generic N/A
> linux-backports-modules-3.13.0-61-generic N/A
> linux-firmware 1.127.15
> SourcePackage: linux
> StagingDrivers: rts5139
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
> dmi.bios.date: 04/20/2015
> dmi.bios.vendor: Insyde Corp.
> dmi.bios.version: V1.11
> dmi.board.asset.tag: Type2 - Board Asset Tag
> dmi.board.name: ZORO_BH
> dmi.board.vendor: Acer
> dmi.board.version: Type2 - A01 Board Version
> dmi.chassis.type: 10
> dmi.chassis.vendor: Chassis Manufacturer
> dmi.chassis.version: Chassis Version
> dmi.modalias:
> dmi:bvnInsydeCorp.:bvrV1.11:bd04/20/2015:svnAcer:pnAspireE5-573:pvrV3.72:rvnAcer:rnZORO_BH:rvrType2-A01BoardVersion:cvnChassisManufacturer:ct10:cvrChassisVersion:
> dmi.product.name: Aspire E5-573
> dmi.product.version: V3.72
> dmi.sys.vendor: Acer
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1484159/+subscriptions
>

Hay guys,

look at this

http://askubuntu.com/questions/678145/my-wifi-qualcomm-atheros-device-168c0041-rev-20-doesnt-show-up-and-work-in

Seems like it's the second last version of this hardware we're talking about ([168c:0041] (rev 20)).
I don't know if that is of any help, but I wanted to share it with you.

My thought is "is it that unlikely to say take this version and grade it up to the newer version?". I'm not familiar with developing/programing those things. And also a new linux user. I'm using the same machine and have the same issue.

Best regards

Jorge (mojayu) wrote :

Acer ASpire E15 - E5-573G-56XH, same issue.

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros Device [168c:0042] (rev 30)

erjanmx (erjanmx) wrote :

Acer Aspire E15 - E5-573G-52G3 same problem

Rinfinity (rinfinityplus) wrote :

Here's all you need to make the Qualcomm Atheros Device [168c:0042] (rev 30) work:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2300861&page=3 post #25

Post your results with the fix in that thread.

Emmanuel Bello (emabello42) wrote :

Acer aspire E5-473G: same problem

Akash Goel (goelakash93) wrote :

Has support for this card been added in the newer kernels now?

Ashraf (leo-aly7) wrote :

Lenovo YOGA 700-14ISK (80QD) same problem

bala (balamurugans123) wrote :

Hi Guys ,

Atheros Communications Inc. Device 0042

Ubuntu 12.04 32bit . can yu help to share the driver for Wifi and BT .

Regds,
Bala S

bala (balamurugans123) wrote :

Hi Guys ,

More info on the Wifi+BT Combo module .

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. Device [168c:0042] (rev 30)
 Subsystem: Lite-On Communications Inc Device [11ad:0806]
 Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
 Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
 Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
 Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
 Region 0: Memory at b0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2M]
 Capabilities: <access denied>

Regds,
Bala S

Sandeep Singh (crazzyshooter) wrote :

I opened this bug report and 4months gone still no resolution. :(

I tested on Ubuntu 15.04, Mate 15.04. always same wifi problem and sometimes touchpad doesn't detect at all.

AndyP (andy-gpshelp) wrote :

All, this bug affects me, however I have a solution. (with help from the team over at bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1436940) as it looks like support is in 4.5 kernel.

Courtesy of Miles Krell:

1) Install kernel 4.5. There's a guide at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds.

2) Assuming you downloaded the firmware as explained in the above guide, you have to rename just one file like this:
    cd /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/
    sudo mv firmware-5.bin_WLAN.TF.1.0-00267-1 firmware-5.bin

3) Reboot your computer. Run "sudo lshw -C network" to see if the card is recognized.

4) If it still isn't working, run "uname -r" to make sure you're running kernel 4.5.

I'm a newbie and the above worked for me. I was pulling my hair out!

HTH

Miles Krell (mileskrell) on 2016-03-21
description: updated
summary: - Qualcomm Atheros Device [168c:0042] (rev 30) not working on Ubuntu
+ Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0042]
+ is not supported
Jeremy (wa113y3s) wrote :

Source code from the 16.04 kernel appears to have the correct patches but would still need firmware from kvalo github

Miles Krell (mileskrell) on 2016-03-24
description: updated
tags: added: originate-from-1569183 somerville
Download full text (4.3 KiB)

http://askubuntu.com/questions/708061/qualcomm-atheros-device-168c0042-rev-30-wi-fi-driver-installation

Try this method. Worked for me!

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Anthony Wong <email address hidden>
wrote:

> ** Also affects: linux-firmware (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided
> Status: New
>
> ** Tags added: originate-from-1569183 somerville
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1477505).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1484159
>
> Title:
> Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0042]
> is not supported
>
> Status in HWE Next:
> New
> Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
> Triaged
> Status in linux-firmware package in Ubuntu:
> New
>
> Bug description:
> This card remains unsupported out-of-the-box by the ath10k_pci kernel
> module. At this point, it looks like kvalo's ath10k-firmware repo just
> needs to be pulled in.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> HOW TO GET THIS CARD TO WORK:
>
> I don't actually have this card, but AndyP was able to get this card
> to work by following my instructions, so I've written them here in a
> clearer format.
>
> 1) Support for this card is not present in kernel 4.2. However, it
> was added at some point between then and kernel 4.4. See
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds for info on installing a
> newer kernel. Kernel 4.5 is suggested.
>
> 2) Get the latest firmware from https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-
> firmware/archive/master.zip
>
> 3) Unzip this file, and copy the contents of ath10k-firmware-master to
> /lib/firmware/ath10k.
>
> 4) Run the following commands to rename the necessary firmware file:
> cd /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/
> sudo mv firmware-5.bin_WLAN.TF.1.0-00267-1 firmware-5.bin
>
> 5) Reboot your computer. Run "lshw -C network" to see if your card is
> recognized.
>
> Please tell me if these instructions are working for you.
>
> The original bug description follows.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Hi,
> Qualcomm Atheros Device [168c:0042] (rev 30) is not supported by linux
> kernal. Please add support.
>
> Thanks
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
> Package: linux-image-3.13.0-61-generic 3.13.0-61.100
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-61.100-generic 3.13.11-ckt22
> Uname: Linux 3.13.0-61-generic i686
> ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.11
> Architecture: i386
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0: ubuntu14 1658 F.... pulseaudio
> /dev/snd/controlC1: ubuntu14 1658 F.... pulseaudio
> CurrentDesktop: Unity
> Date: Wed Aug 12 20:31:24 2015
> HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=0483444a-0d9a-4215-b36b-4aee75fd9ec0
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2015-08-11 (0 days ago)
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release i386
> (20140722.2)
> IwConfig:
> lo no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0 no wireless extensions.
> MachineType: Acer Aspire E5-573
> ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
> ProcKern...

Read more...

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in linux-firmware (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Miles Krell (mileskrell) on 2016-05-03
description: updated
Changed in hwe-next:
assignee: nobody → Anthony Wong (anthonywong)
Changed in hwe-next:
assignee: Anthony Wong (anthonywong) → Phidias (phidias-chiang)
tags: added: dw1810
Changed in hwe-next:
importance: Undecided → Medium
importance: Medium → High
Changed in hwe-next:
status: New → Triaged
Seth Forshee (sforshee) on 2016-06-10
Changed in linux-firmware (Ubuntu Yakkety):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
Changed in linux-firmware (Ubuntu Xenial):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → In Progress
assignee: nobody → Phidias (phidias-chiang)
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Xenial):
status: New → Fix Released
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Yakkety):
status: Triaged → Fix Released

Hello Sandeep, or anyone else affected,

Accepted linux-firmware into xenial-proposed. The package will build now and be available at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-firmware/1.157.1 in a few hours, and then in the -proposed repository.

Please help us by testing this new package. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Your feedback will aid us getting this update out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug, mentioning the version of the package you tested, and change the tag from verification-needed to verification-done. If it does not fix the bug for you, please add a comment stating that, and change the tag to verification-failed. In either case, details of your testing will help us make a better decision.

Further information regarding the verification process can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification . Thank you in advance!

Changed in linux-firmware (Ubuntu Xenial):
status: In Progress → Fix Committed

Updating linux-firmware to version 1.157.1 fixed the problem for me. As it happens, I received a second-hand Acer Aspire E5-573 notebook earlier today. While setting it up as a Ubuntu machine for a friend I noticed the WLAN wasn't working in xenial. Searched around, found this bug report, downloaded & installed the newly build .deb (which hadn't landed in -proposed yet), rebooted, done! The timing couldn't have been better. Thanks a lot!

Changed in hwe-next:
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Changed in hwe-next:
status: Fix Released → Fix Committed
Phidias (phidias-chiang) wrote :

linux-firmware-1.157.1 is verified with v4.4.0-22 kernel, new linux-firmware works well

tags: added: verification-done
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package linux-firmware - 1.157.1

---------------
linux-firmware (1.157.1) xenial; urgency=medium

  * Add firmware for QCA9377 wireless network adapter
    ath10k: QCA9377 hw1.0: add firmware and board files
    -LP: #1484159

 -- Seth Forshee <email address hidden> Fri, 10 Jun 2016 07:34:04 -0500

Changed in linux-firmware (Ubuntu Xenial):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released

The verification of the Stable Release Update for linux-firmware has completed successfully and the package has now been released to -updates. Subsequently, the Ubuntu Stable Release Updates Team is being unsubscribed and will not receive messages about this bug report. In the event that you encounter a regression using the package from -updates please report a new bug using ubuntu-bug and tag the bug report regression-update so we can easily find any regressions.

Changed in hwe-next:
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
sinus (cosinus) wrote :

salom

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers