[Fujitsu Lifebook AH532 & AH552] Ubuntu UEFI install locks out UEFI firmware (~bios) access
Description: Ubuntu 12.10
apt-cache policy grub-efi-amd64
Pheonix Secure Core Tiano bios version 1.09
New laptop Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Windows 7 preinstalled. All functions worked normally when running Win7. Ubuntu 12.10 installed using whole disk. Installation successful Ubuntu boots and runs normally, however all access to the bios has now been lost. Pressing the default key (f2) during boot up is acknowledged by bios beep, but ignored and Ubuntu continues booting. In addition the 'boot choices' menu (f12) contains nothing but Ubuntu making it impossible to boot from USB or CD/DVD.
The latter (f12) problem was overcome by opening up the machine, removing the ram and shorting the cl1/cl2 posts with a screwdriver. This restores the ability to boot from USB/CD by pressing f12 but does not restore bios access.
The following recovery actions have been tried.
1) Install Boot-Repair, run repair, no change occurred. Boot repair report here:
2) Restore Windows from Clonezilla disk image (factory settings) - result - bios access is no longer possible from windows either, f2 now launches the Windows boot menu.
3) Update all drivers using Fujitsu driver update tool from within windows (which included a bios update). Result - no change, no bios.
4) Restored Ubuntu from Clonezilla disk image - no change.
5) Added second distro to disk. Installed successfully (uefi mode as that is all I have) no change to bios access.
So overall result I have lost all bios access even from a reinstalled Windows. I repeat that bios access was perfectly normal before installing Ubuntu.
I strongly suggest you read the contents of this thread in addition to the information here:
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.10
Package: grub-efi 2.00-7ubuntu11
Uname: Linux 3.5.0-18-generic x86_64
Date: Fri Nov 23 15:50:07 2012
InstallationDate: Installed on 2012-11-22 (1 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release amd64 (20121017.5)
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
- New Uefi install locks out bios accessd
+ Ubuntu Uefi install locks out bios access
- Ubuntu Uefi install locks out bios access
+ Ubuntu UEFI install locks out UEFI firmware (~bios) access
|no longer affects:||ubiquity|
|affects:||grub2 (Ubuntu) → linux (Ubuntu)|
|Changed in linux (Ubuntu):|
|status:||Expired → New|
|Changed in linux (Ubuntu):|
|importance:||Undecided → High|
|tags:||removed: apport-collected saucy|
|Christopher M. Penalver (penalvch) wrote : Re: Ubuntu UEFI install locks out UEFI firmware (~bios) access||#48|
- Ubuntu UEFI install locks out UEFI firmware (~bios) access
+ [Fujitsu Lifebook AH532] Ubuntu UEFI install locks out UEFI firmware
+ (~bios) access
|YannUbuntu (yannubuntu) wrote : Re: [Fujitsu Lifebook AH532] Ubuntu UEFI install locks out UEFI firmware (~bios) access||#69|
- [Fujitsu Lifebook AH532] Ubuntu UEFI install locks out UEFI firmware
- (~bios) access
+ [Fujitsu Lifebook AH532 & AH552] Ubuntu UEFI install locks out UEFI
+ firmware (~bios) access