[LENOVO 4298R86] suspend/resume failure

Bug #1054732 reported by George Shuklin on 2012-09-22
336
This bug affects 56 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned
Raring
Medium
Unassigned
Saucy
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

Getting that message every time I open lid, or, sometime, even during normal workflow.

ProblemType: KernelOops
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.10
Package: linux-image-3.5.0-15-generic 3.5.0-15.22
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-15.22-generic 3.5.4
Uname: Linux 3.5.0-15-generic i686
Annotation: This occured during a previous suspend and prevented it from resuming properly.
ApportVersion: 2.5.2-0ubuntu4
Architecture: i386
AudioDevicesInUse:
 USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
 /dev/snd/controlC0: amarao 2066 F.... pulseaudio
Date: Sat Sep 22 01:33:21 2012
ExecutablePath: /usr/share/apport/apportcheckresume
Failure: suspend/resume
HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=d3e012f1-f3c1-4ffe-9908-1d77a770d06b
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386 (20120817.3)
InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python3.2mu
MachineType: LENOVO 4298R86
ProcCmdline: /usr/bin/python3 /usr/share/apport/apportcheckresume
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=linux
 PATH=(custom, no user)
ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-15-generic root=UUID=da13c7f0-b499-4c33-a0ea-6e1b7170d913 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
PulseList: Error: command ['pacmd', 'list'] failed with exit code 1: No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
RelatedPackageVersions:
 linux-restricted-modules-3.5.0-15-generic N/A
 linux-backports-modules-3.5.0-15-generic N/A
 linux-firmware 1.93
SourcePackage: linux
Title: [LENOVO 4298R86] suspend/resume failure
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-09-16 (5 days ago)
UserGroups:

dmi.bios.date: 12/01/2011
dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.bios.version: 8DET56WW (1.26 )
dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
dmi.board.name: 4298R86
dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.board.version: Not Available
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr8DET56WW(1.26):bd12/01/2011:svnLENOVO:pn4298R86:pvrThinkPadX220Tablet:rvnLENOVO:rn4298R86:rvrNotAvailable:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
dmi.product.name: 4298R86
dmi.product.version: ThinkPad X220 Tablet
dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO

George Shuklin (george-shuklin) wrote :
Brad Figg (brad-figg) on 2012-09-22
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
tags: added: kernel-suspend-watch
Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury) wrote :

Several bugs have been marked as a duplicate of this bug.

For those affected by this bug, did this issue start happening after an update/upgrade? Was there a kernel version where you were not having this particular problem? This will help determine if the problem you are seeing is the result of the introduction of a regression, and when this regression was introduced.

tags: added: kernel-key

I've got that issue after upgrading from 3.2 (together with upgrade from
Precise to Quantal).

AFAIK I was able to get it with 3.4 on my thinkpad X220i, but I'm not sure.

Symptoms:
1) system going to standby and not coming back.
2) system lock screen and screen stays black even mouse is moved and
fingerprint reader activating (and accepting finger).
Both happens regularly but not mandatory.

24.09.2012 20:01, Joseph Salisbury пишет:
> Several bugs have been marked as a duplicate of this bug.
>
> For those affected by this bug, did this issue start happening after an
> update/upgrade? Was there a kernel version where you were not having
> this particular problem? This will help determine if the problem you
> are seeing is the result of the introduction of a regression, and when
> this regression was introduced.
>
>
> ** Tags added: kernel-key
>

Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury) wrote :

I'd like to perform a bisect to figure out what commit caused this regression. It would be very helpful to know the earliest kernel where the issue started happening as well as the latest kernel that did not have this issue.

Can you test the following kernels and report back? We are looking for the first kernel version that doesn't have this bug:

v3.3 final: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.3-precise/
v3.4 final: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.4-quantal/
v3.5-rc4: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.5-rc4-quantal/

You don't have to test every kernel, just up until the kernel that first has this bug.

Thanks in advance!

tags: added: performing-bisect
George Shuklin (george-shuklin) wrote :

ok, within day or two (anyway, bug is not instantly appear).

24.09.2012 22:07, Joseph Salisbury пишет:
> I'd like to perform a bisect to figure out what commit caused this
> regression. It would be very helpful to know the earliest kernel where
> the issue started happening as well as the latest kernel that did not
> have this issue.
>
> Can you test the following kernels and report back? We are looking for
> the first kernel version that doesn't have this bug:
>
> v3.3 final: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.3-precise/
> v3.4 final: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.4-quantal/
> v3.5-rc4: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.5-rc4-quantal/
>
> You don't have to test every kernel, just up until the kernel that first
> has this bug.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
>
> ** Tags added: performing-bisect
>

Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury) wrote :

I'm not sure if bug 1054493 is related to this bug yet or not. However, the latest mainline kernel fixes that bug. Can you also test the latest mainline kernel[0] and post back if it has the bug or not?

[0] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.6-rc7-quantal/

Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury) wrote :

One additional request. The 3.5.0-15.23 kernel is now available in the -proposed repository. Can folks affected by this bug test that kernel and post back if it resolves this bug?

 See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how to enable and use -proposed.

Thank you in advance!

Vishnu V (vvishnu-e) wrote :
Download full text (3.2 KiB)

I installed kernel 3.6.0-030600rc7-generic, but still problem exists

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM, Joseph Salisbury <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> One additional request. The 3.5.0-15.23 kernel is now available in the
> -proposed repository. Can folks affected by this bug test that kernel
> and post back if it resolves this bug?
>
> See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation
> how to enable and use -proposed.
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1055371).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1054732
>
> Title:
> [LENOVO 4298R86] suspend/resume failure
>
> Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Getting that message every time I open lid, or, sometime, even during
> normal workflow.
>
> ProblemType: KernelOops
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.10
> Package: linux-image-3.5.0-15-generic 3.5.0-15.22
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-15.22-generic 3.5.4
> Uname: Linux 3.5.0-15-generic i686
> Annotation: This occured during a previous suspend and prevented it from
> resuming properly.
> ApportVersion: 2.5.2-0ubuntu4
> Architecture: i386
> AudioDevicesInUse:
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /dev/snd/controlC0: amarao 2066 F.... pulseaudio
> Date: Sat Sep 22 01:33:21 2012
> ExecutablePath: /usr/share/apport/apportcheckresume
> Failure: suspend/resume
> HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=d3e012f1-f3c1-4ffe-9908-1d77a770d06b
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386
> (20120817.3)
> InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python3.2mu
> MachineType: LENOVO 4298R86
> ProcCmdline: /usr/bin/python3 /usr/share/apport/apportcheckresume
> ProcEnviron:
> TERM=linux
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
> ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-15-generic
> root=UUID=da13c7f0-b499-4c33-a0ea-6e1b7170d913 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
> PulseList: Error: command ['pacmd', 'list'] failed with exit code 1: No
> PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
> RelatedPackageVersions:
> linux-restricted-modules-3.5.0-15-generic N/A
> linux-backports-modules-3.5.0-15-generic N/A
> linux-firmware 1.93
> SourcePackage: linux
> Title: [LENOVO 4298R86] suspend/resume failure
> UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-09-16 (5 days ago)
> UserGroups:
>
> dmi.bios.date: 12/01/2011
> dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
> dmi.bios.version: 8DET56WW (1.26 )
> dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
> dmi.board.name: 4298R86
> dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
> dmi.board.version: Not Available
> dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
> dmi.chassis.type: 10
> dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
> dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
> dmi.modalias:
> dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr8DET56WW(1.26):bd12/01/2011:svnLENOVO:pn4298R86:pvrThinkPadX220Tablet:rvnLENOVO:rn4298R86:rvrNotAvailable:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
> dmi.product.name: 4298R86
> dmi.product.version: ThinkPad X220 Tablet
> dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
> https://bu...

Read more...

Dmitry Shachnev (mitya57) wrote :

> One additional request. The 3.5.0-15.23 kernel is now available in the -proposed repository. Can folks affected by this bug test that kernel and post back if it resolves this bug?

No. I've just got this bug with 3.5.0-15.23 kernel.

tags: added: kernel-bug-exists-upstream
tags: removed: kernel-key

This bug appear also on my Dell Inspiron N5010 ... and also in kernel 3.6
There are many bugs related with S3,S4 states (suspend, hibernate, resume)

I've done an workaround in kernel user-space which works well.

I've attached the following script (please read inner comments).

Kate Stewart (kate.stewart) wrote :

Is this bug still showing up in raring and saucy?

Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury) wrote :

It would also be good to know if this issue still happens with the latest Mainline kernel, which is v3.10-rc7. That kernel can be downloaded from:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.10-rc7-saucy/

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Raring):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Confirmed
Andreas Brauchli (blk) wrote :

It seems today's linux-image-generic-3.10.0.6.15 update fixed it for my thinkpad x301.
My suspend was broken with the fresh install of saucy (ubuntu-gnome alpha2) but was working fine with raring.

Not sure it was actually the same issue as I never got the system to actually log the KernelOops (I did remove the log caching in rsyslog) and the screen didn't turn on.

Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury) wrote :

@George, can you and other folks affected by this bug confirm it's fixed in the latest Saucy release?

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Raring):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Saucy):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for linux (Ubuntu Raring) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Raring):
status: Incomplete → Expired
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for linux (Ubuntu Saucy) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Saucy):
status: Incomplete → Expired
Steffen Rieke (s-rieke) wrote :

I'm running kernel 3.11.0-14-generic on Saucy on my Lenovo L412 and this problem occures almost every time I reopen the notebook's lid. It appeared since I upgraded from Raring.

Kate Stewart (kate.stewart) wrote :

Moving bug back to confirmed list, since it still appears to be there according to Steffen.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Expired → Confirmed
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Saucy):
status: Expired → Confirmed
Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury) wrote :

@Steffen Rieke, do you have the same hardware as the original bug reporter? If not, it might be best to open a new bug report.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
Changed in linux (Ubuntu Saucy):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
TraceyC (grrlgeek) wrote :

This is also happening to me on a Lenovo W530
Xubuntu 13.10
Kernel 3.11.0-15-generic

Symptoms:
1 - If I tell the laptop to suspend, it will not resume
If I attempt to resume the system by pressing the power button, the screen will show a thin rectangle across the top of the scfreen that is the top of the wallpaper. The system then hangs, not responding to mouse or keyboard

2 - If I shut the lid, which is set to "do nothing", the system will sometimes but not always lock up when I re-open the lid. This may be due to a separate cause.

suokunlong (suokunlong) wrote :

I encounter the same problem with my IBM R61i laptop. This is not an LENOVO 4298R86 only problem, this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1084960
should be the same cause.

Just for your information, that my laptop resumes from suspend without any problem in Fedora 20, but can not resume from suspend in Ubuntu 13.10.

Mirto Silvio Busico (m-busico) wrote :

This bug also affect me.
My framework

Notebook HP Pavilion dv6

Kubuntu 14.04 Beta1 64Bit fresh install

When resuming all is locked; only USB mouse moves the cursor

Adrian Bennett (adypunk) wrote :

This bug is also affecting me.
Using a 2011 Mac-Air.
No issues until the Ubuntu 14.04 upgrade.

Tobias Sturm (tobstu) wrote :

Having the same issue on a Lenovo X230 with a 3.13.0-24-generic kernel.

Maybe worth mentioning:
/boot
/crytpo -> LVM
-- /swap
-- /

s2ram is working though.

Sahil Manocha (nukeballzy) wrote :

This bug affects me too. I am using Ubuntu 14.04 64bit

CSRedRat (csredrat) wrote :

When this fixed in 14.04 Trusty Tahr for 14.04.1 (24 July)?

It's still around in Ubuntu 14.04 for me too (since 12.10).
I'm using an HP Pavilion dv7 Laptop/Notebook with 2GB of RAM. Apparently, Ubuntu sets 2GB of space for swap (equal to my RAM) by default during installation, and that seems to make my computer hang while trying to resume after suspending. The swap space might be insufficient.

TEN (launchpad-20-ten) wrote :

Also affected again in 14.04 LT"S" after this had been fixed by later kernels of 12.04 LT"S":
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1341270 filed as requested in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1283938 but with Peer Waldström's detailled debug info from https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pm-utils/+bug/999638 #18 apparently falling on deaf ears for years, I see why e.g. at #136 Atul et al. are getting furious both here and there.

summary: - [LENOVO 4298R86] suspend/resume failure
+ 1366432
summary: - 1366432
+ Bug #1054732

This bug was nominated against a series that is no longer supported, ie saucy. The bug task representing the saucy nomination is being closed as Won't Fix.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the Ubuntu Kernel Team.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Saucy):
status: Incomplete → Won't Fix
summary: - Bug #1054732
+ [LENOVO 4298R86] suspend/resume failure
X9Tim (x9tim) wrote :

I have been keeping clear of updates. I have my Precise 12.04.5 working pretty well and read about this upgrade problem...
Running Trusty 14.04.1 from a Live USB on my Dell Inspiron 6400 (intel processor and intel graphicsI have now tested this and sadly I still have the suspend problem like TraceyC (grrlgeek) wrote on 2014-01-08. Tried it twice and failed both times :-(

Ne (jika12) wrote :

I can confirm "X9Tim".

I made an update from 12.04 to 14.04.1 and first I expected the failure due to the online update.
Then I installed from DVD the ISO but the issue happened again. Hardware didn`t change at all. Under
12.04 it worked out of the box with a new installation.

I still have a PC with 12.04 installed. If someone could tell me which files I should copy to test I would do.

pamindic (pam-indicia) wrote :

On 14.10 and this bug is still there.

Thierry (thierrygd18) wrote :

On 14.04.3 LTS... same problem here.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu Raring):
status: Expired → Won't Fix
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for linux (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
To post a comment you must log in.