USB Keyboard & Mouse random simultaneous lockups

Bug #122865 reported by jb68321 on 2007-06-28
4
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux-source-2.6.20 (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

The system is a Dell Optiplex GX280, and naturally it has no PS/2 ports, so USB keybd & mouse are necessary. Both work just fine in WinXP, but in Ubuntu Dapper AND Feisty (I just upgraded to see if the prob would be fixed with recent changes) the keyboard and mouse will lock up after random amounts of time and usage. I've tried two types of mice & keyboards, one of each much simpler than the other, but the same thing happens. Lockups even occur while typing, but seem to occur around times that programs/the OS has just loaded or when the comp has been idle for a while. Plugging the keyboard and mouse into 2 new USB ports does let them work for a while, but they eventually lock up again and eventually I run out of ports to use (then I reboot). Luckily this computer has 8 USB ports (then again perhaps thats part of the problem), so I can work for a few hours usually without having to reboot. Any help (other than replace the mobo) would be greatly appreciated! As I said, this system works fine in XP, and I really don't want to have to go back.

Martey Dodoo (martey) wrote :

Do you think this might be the same as Bug #122723? My laptop only has 2 USB ports (not including the internal ones), but I seem to be having the same symptoms.

Paul Dufresne (paulduf) wrote :

Hi! I am a bug triager trying to make sure that this bug have enough info to be fixed.

If you have a fast Internet and a CD burner, you could download Gutsy Tribe-2 and report how it worked with it.
See http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/tribe2
I don't suggest you install it, just to run it.

After the bug (after you replugged the mouse and keyboard in 2 new USB ports) please open a console and type:
cd [that will make you go to your home directory]
sudo lshw > lshw_jb68321.txt
sudo lsusb -v > lsusb_jb68321.txt
uname -a > uname-a.log
cat /proc/version > version.log
dmesg > dmesg.log
sudo lspci -vvnn > lspci-vvnn.log

Then attach each of the following files to this bug (attach not paste!):
uname-a.log
version.log
dmesg.log
lspci-vvnn.log
lshw_jb68321.txt
lsusb_jb68321.txt

Thanks, I realize that it request a quite an amount of effort, but this is really needed to progress on that kind of bugs.

Paul Dufresne (paulduf) wrote :

A small correction:
before posting version.log, do in the console:
ls /proc/version_signature
if the file exist, then type:
cat /proc/version_signature > version.log
and then attached that version.log.

BTW I am basically following guidelines on:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeamBugPolicies

Paul Dufresne (paulduf) wrote :

We are closing this bug report because it lacks the information we need to investigate the problem, as described in the previous comments. Please reopen it if you can give us the missing information, and don't hesitate to submit bug reports in the future. To reopen the bug report you can click on the current status, under the Status column, and change the Status back to "New". Thanks again!

Changed in linux-source-2.6.20:
status: Incomplete → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers