snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not include oss sound module nm256_audio

Bug #47706 reported by khaj zrlo on 2006-05-31
28
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux-source-2.6.15 (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned
linux-source-2.6.22 (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: linux-image-2.6.15-23-686

I have a Japanese Panasonic CFM1 Let's Note laptop with a Neomagic sound chip.

lspci shows it as:
0000:01:00.1 Multimedia audio controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2200 [MagicMedia 256AV Audio] (rev 20)

The *only* sound driver that I've ever gotten to work on this laptop is the free oss nm256_audio driver, which is included in Breezy:

% dpkg --listfiles linux-image-2.6.12-10-686|grep nm256
/lib/modules/2.6.12-10-686/kernel/sound/oss/nm256_audio.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.12-10-686/kernel/sound/pci/nm256
/lib/modules/2.6.12-10-686/kernel/sound/pci/nm256/snd-nm256.ko

However, after a system upgrade to Dapper (via apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade), the module no longer is included:

% dpkg --listfiles linux-image-2.6.15-23-686|grep nm256
/lib/modules/2.6.15-23-686/kernel/sound/pci/nm256
/lib/modules/2.6.15-23-686/kernel/sound/pci/nm256/snd-nm256.ko

and sound no longer works. After the upgrade to Dapper, the sound module that was installed was the Alsa sound module: snd_nm256, however this module does not work on this laptop.

It would be nice if the free oss sound driver nm256_audio was included in Dapper, or if someone could fix the snd_nm256 driver for this laptop.

Thanks.

Lee Revell (rlrevell) wrote :

How exactly does it "not work"?

khaj zrlo (khaj-zrlo) wrote :

Well, unfortunately I am unable to give further information on why snd_nm256 does not work. I just tried to re-load it to get more info for you, but as soon as I did "modprobe snd_nm256" my laptop froze up hard, and I had to power cycle.

Anyway, the main problem from my point of view is that the sound driver that I know works (nm256_audio), is no longer included in Dapper as it was in Breezy. Could it be re-added?

Thanks.

Lee Revell (rlrevell) wrote :

This bug has been fixed in the latest ALSA release. Dapper needs to be using the ALSA 1.0.11 version of this driver.

khaj zrlo (khaj-zrlo) wrote :

Thanks. I'll look out for that update.
-kz

On 6/12/06, Lee Revell <email address hidden> wrote:
> This bug has been fixed in the latest ALSA release. Dapper needs to be
> using the ALSA 1.0.11 version of this driver.
>
> --
> dapper does not include oss sound module: nm256_audio
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/47706
>

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 15:40 +0000, khaj zrlo wrote:
> Thanks. I'll look out for that update.
> -kz
>
>
> On 6/12/06, Lee Revell <email address hidden> wrote:
> > This bug has been fixed in the latest ALSA release. Dapper needs to be
> > using the ALSA 1.0.11 version of this driver.

Sorry, but there will not be an alsa update like this for dapper. The
alsa 1.0.11 changes are way to extreme for a post-release update.

If, however, someone is willing to backport this specific driver to our
current dapper tree (which means touching little to no code that is not
part of this driver), then that can be considered for dapper-updates.

I don't have the bandwidth to fix it myself, but here's the patch. It only touches the nm256 driver so should be trivial to apply.

http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel?cmd=changeset;node=40a6a0915a24;style=gitweb

Also why was the OSS driver removed from Dapper? AFAIK it was only removed from the kernel after we had confirmation that the ALSA driver was fixed.

Ben Collins (ben-collins) wrote :

Patch doesn't apply cleanly to dapper. I'll need someone to backport this patch and verify that it works.

pwii (peter-willaert) wrote :

The nm256 [NeoMagic NM200] driver included in the distro's Dapper does not work in Dapper and all later distro's. The alsa driver snd-nm256 does not fix the problem. No sound out-of-the-box for a number of laptops still in use. No workaround seems possible.

On Nov 23, 2007 3:00 PM, pwii <email address hidden> wrote:
> The nm256 [NeoMagic NM200] driver included in the distro's Dapper does
> not work in Dapper and all later distro's. The alsa driver snd-nm256
> does not fix the problem. No sound out-of-the-box for a number of
> laptops still in use. No workaround seems possible.

What are the symtoms in Gutsy?

Lee

pwii (peter-willaert) wrote :
Download full text (4.2 KiB)

Now that's quick! As far as I can see (I once had 5+ years of experience in
HP-UX, but that's 10 years ago, so please excuse me for unclarities) the
same behaviour as reported in

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=209882

that is:

lspci reports the card/soundchip allright
dmesg report nm256 as being blacklisted, loading stopped?

Still I can modprobe snd-nm256 (by hand or automatic during booth) but that
doesn't change a thing.

alsamixer complains about default: no such device (mixer in Xfce also only
lists a default device with no controls):

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

When firing up TOTEM, I get a warning about ' sound device busy' and no
sound (video playing all right).

When I lsmod | grep snd I get an awful lot of sound modules loaded including
the opl3, opl3sa2, cs4231 which don't seem to be needed (hw not listed in
lspci) and might be 'hijacking' some hardware portions.

snd_nm256 70688 0
snd_ac97_codec 100644 1 snd_nm256
ac97_bus 3200 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_opl3sa2 21804 0
snd_opl3_lib 11520 1 snd_opl3sa2
snd_hwdep 10244 1 snd_opl3_lib
snd_cs4231_lib 26112 1 snd_opl3sa2
snd_pcm_oss 44672 0
snd_mixer_oss 17664 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy 4740 0
snd_seq_oss 33152 0
snd_pcm 80388 4
snd_nm256,snd_ac97_codec,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 11400 2 snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart 9600 1 snd_opl3sa2
snd_seq_midi 9600 0
snd_rawmidi 25728 2 snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 8448 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 53232 6
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer 24324 4 snd_opl3_lib,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 9228 6
snd_opl3_lib,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd 54660 15
snd_nm256,snd_ac97_codec,snd_opl3sa2,snd_opl3_lib,snd_hwdep,snd_cs4231_lib,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_pcm,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 8800 2 sound,snd

Trying to modprobe ad1848 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 which is suggested in
one thread as workaround is not possible due error on param io (although
settings are exactly the same on my system as reported by BIOS):

FATAL: Error inserting ad1848
(/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/kernel/sound/oss/ad1848.ko): No such device

ad1848 is not loaded at boot and dmesg reports problems with this device (I
included the nm256 part):

[ 48.572000] nm256: The device is blacklisted. Loading stopped
[ 49.560000] loop: module loaded
[ 56.532000] ndiswrapper version 1.45 loaded (smp=yes)
[ 56.700000] ndiswrapper: driver net8185 (Realtek,02/01/2007,
5.1097.0201.2007) loaded
[ 73.260000] ACPI: Video Device [VGA] (multi-head: yes rom: no post: no)
[ 82.228000] Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 <email address hidden>).
[ 505.652000] ad1848/cs4248 codec driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen
1993-1996
[ 527.072000] ad1848/cs4248 codec driver Copyright (C) by Han...

Read more...

Lee Revell (rlrevell) wrote :

On Nov 23, 2007 5:07 PM, Peter Willaert <email address hidden> wrote:
> Now that's quick! As far as I can see (I once had 5+ years of experience in
> HP-UX, but that's 10 years ago, so please excuse me for unclarities) the
> same behaviour as reported in
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=209882
>
> that is:
>
> lspci reports the card/soundchip allright
> dmesg report nm256 as being blacklisted, loading stopped?
>

OK. If this is the case then it looks like a different bug (the
notorious old nm256 bug was that the system would reboot or lock up
hard when loading the module). This OTOH is a "no sound" bug...

Try un-blacklisting nm256 and see if that works...

Lee

pwii (peter-willaert) wrote :

I don't know what OTOH is...

unblacklisting nm256, is that in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-oss [nm256_audio]
?

I guess after unblacklisting I will need to reboot.

Thx again -- Peter

On Nov 23, 2007 11:32 PM, Lee Revell <email address hidden> wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2007 5:07 PM, Peter Willaert <email address hidden> wrote:
> > Now that's quick! As far as I can see (I once had 5+ years of
> experience in
> > HP-UX, but that's 10 years ago, so please excuse me for unclarities) the
> > same behaviour as reported in
> >
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=209882
> >
> > that is:
> >
> > lspci reports the card/soundchip allright
> > dmesg report nm256 as being blacklisted, loading stopped?
> >
>
> OK. If this is the case then it looks like a different bug (the
> notorious old nm256 bug was that the system would reboot or lock up
> hard when loading the module). This OTOH is a "no sound" bug...
>
> Try un-blacklisting nm256 and see if that works...
>
> Lee
>
>

OTOH - Abbreviation for "On The Other Hand"..

After unblacklisting, you might get away with simply inserting the module
again, with no reboot. Try this on the command line:
"modprobe nm256_audio"

Then check dmesg.

Cheers,
Danny

On 24/11/2007, pwii <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> I don't know what OTOH is...
>
> unblacklisting nm256, is that in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-oss
> [nm256_audio]
> ?
>
> I guess after unblacklisting I will need to reboot.
>
> Thx again -- Peter
>
>
> On Nov 23, 2007 11:32 PM, Lee Revell <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 23, 2007 5:07 PM, Peter Willaert <email address hidden> wrote:
> > > Now that's quick! As far as I can see (I once had 5+ years of
> > experience in
> > > HP-UX, but that's 10 years ago, so please excuse me for unclarities)
> the
> > > same behaviour as reported in
> > >
> > > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=209882
> > >
> > > that is:
> > >
> > > lspci reports the card/soundchip allright
> > > dmesg report nm256 as being blacklisted, loading stopped?
> > >
> >
> > OK. If this is the case then it looks like a different bug (the
> > notorious old nm256 bug was that the system would reboot or lock up
> > hard when loading the module). This OTOH is a "no sound" bug...
> >
> > Try un-blacklisting nm256 and see if that works...
> >
> > Lee
> >
> >
>
> --
> snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not include oss sound module
> nm256_audio
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/47706
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Danny Staple MBCS
OrionRobots
http://orionrobots.co.uk/blogs/dannystaple
(Full contact details available through website)

fern (fernmarques) wrote :

Hi, Danny

I want to try this, too, but what is "unblacklisting",
and how do I do it?

Thanks

Fern

--- Danny Staple <email address hidden> wrote:

> OTOH - Abbreviation for "On The Other Hand"..
>
> After unblacklisting, you might get away with simply
> inserting the module
> again, with no reboot. Try this on the command line:
> "modprobe nm256_audio"
>
> Then check dmesg.
>
> Cheers,
> Danny
>
> On 24/11/2007, pwii <email address hidden> wrote:
> >
> > I don't know what OTOH is...
> >
> > unblacklisting nm256, is that in
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-oss
> > [nm256_audio]
> > ?
> >
> > I guess after unblacklisting I will need to
> reboot.
> >
> > Thx again -- Peter
> >
> >
> > On Nov 23, 2007 11:32 PM, Lee Revell
> <email address hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > On Nov 23, 2007 5:07 PM, Peter Willaert
> <email address hidden> wrote:
> > > > Now that's quick! As far as I can see (I once
> had 5+ years of
> > > experience in
> > > > HP-UX, but that's 10 years ago, so please
> excuse me for unclarities)
> > the
> > > > same behaviour as reported in
> > > >
> > > >
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=209882
> > > >
> > > > that is:
> > > >
> > > > lspci reports the card/soundchip allright
> > > > dmesg report nm256 as being blacklisted,
> loading stopped?
> > > >
> > >
> > > OK. If this is the case then it looks like a
> different bug (the
> > > notorious old nm256 bug was that the system
> would reboot or lock up
> > > hard when loading the module). This OTOH is a
> "no sound" bug...
> > >
> > > Try un-blacklisting nm256 and see if that
> works...
> > >
> > > Lee
> > >
> > >
> >
> > --
> > snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not
> include oss sound module
> > nm256_audio
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/47706
> > You received this bug notification because you are
> a direct subscriber
> > of the bug.
> >
>
>
> --
> Danny Staple MBCS
> OrionRobots
> http://orionrobots.co.uk/blogs/dannystaple
> (Full contact details available through website)
>
> --
> snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not include
> oss sound module nm256_audio
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/47706
> You received this bug notification because you are a
> direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

      Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php

Download full text (3.3 KiB)

Hi Fern,

As the poster pwii mentioned, you need to remove the entry (or comment out)
in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-oss.

You should note that as Lee Revell mentioned, this module could potentially
lead to system lock ups - have a rescue CD handy to add the module back into
the blacklist if it does not work.

Cheers,
Danny

On 24/11/2007, fern <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi, Danny
>
> I want to try this, too, but what is "unblacklisting",
> and how do I do it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Fern
>
>
> --- Danny Staple <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> > OTOH - Abbreviation for "On The Other Hand"..
> >
> > After unblacklisting, you might get away with simply
> > inserting the module
> > again, with no reboot. Try this on the command line:
> > "modprobe nm256_audio"
> >
> > Then check dmesg.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Danny
> >
> > On 24/11/2007, pwii <email address hidden> wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't know what OTOH is...
> > >
> > > unblacklisting nm256, is that in
> > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-oss
> > > [nm256_audio]
> > > ?
> > >
> > > I guess after unblacklisting I will need to
> > reboot.
> > >
> > > Thx again -- Peter
> > >
> > >
> > > On Nov 23, 2007 11:32 PM, Lee Revell
> > <email address hidden> wrote:
> > >
> > > > On Nov 23, 2007 5:07 PM, Peter Willaert
> > <email address hidden> wrote:
> > > > > Now that's quick! As far as I can see (I once
> > had 5+ years of
> > > > experience in
> > > > > HP-UX, but that's 10 years ago, so please
> > excuse me for unclarities)
> > > the
> > > > > same behaviour as reported in
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=209882
> > > > >
> > > > > that is:
> > > > >
> > > > > lspci reports the card/soundchip allright
> > > > > dmesg report nm256 as being blacklisted,
> > loading stopped?
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > OK. If this is the case then it looks like a
> > different bug (the
> > > > notorious old nm256 bug was that the system
> > would reboot or lock up
> > > > hard when loading the module). This OTOH is a
> > "no sound" bug...
> > > >
> > > > Try un-blacklisting nm256 and see if that
> > works...
> > > >
> > > > Lee
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not
> > include oss sound module
> > > nm256_audio
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/47706
> > > You received this bug notification because you are
> > a direct subscriber
> > > of the bug.
> > >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Danny Staple MBCS
> > OrionRobots
> > http://orionrobots.co.uk/blogs/dannystaple
> > (Full contact details available through website)
> >
> > --
> > snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not include
> > oss sound module nm256_audio
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/47706
> > You received this bug notification because you are a
> > direct subscriber
> > of the bug.
> >
>
>
> Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required.
> Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at
> http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php
>
> --
> snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not include oss sound module
> nm256_audio
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/47706
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>...

Read more...

pwii (peter-willaert) wrote :
Download full text (3.9 KiB)

Hi Danny, Fern,

Thx for joining me on this journey. I tried unblacklisting by changing the
file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-oss which is a link to a file in /lib. Upon
doing the proposed modprobe, I get an error "FATAL: module not found".
Apart from that, it looks strange to me that in the indicated file, ALL
devices are blacklisted, even the ones that get loaded anyway, like opl3 and
cs4232. So there must be other mechanisms at work.

I would therefore try to approach this logically, trying to find out what is
loaded in when and on what hardware tests the software is deciding to do
certain things. I know that the correct chip is listed by lspci:

01:00.1 Multimedia audio controller: Neomagic Corporation NM2200 [MagicMedia
256AV Audio] (rev 20)

The excellent but unfortunately outdated article on
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2002/09/19/linuxlaptop.html?page=1tells
me that indeed this chip is a combination of various hardware blocks
that each can have their own driver. So it makes sense to me that after a
standard boot, a lot of modules get loaded that refer to these drivers, like
opl3 and cs4332. What I don't understand is the mix of ALSA type drivers
(snd) and references to OSS which is an older sound environment. So actually
I don't know why for my Omnibook 4150 machine the boot sequence does what it
does, and most importantly, why dmesg gives me a "blacklisted 256, loading
stopped" error butI still get the other drivers loaded (which part of the
software does that, and based on what configuration info)?

 And of course at this point I have no sound, and when I try 'alsamixer' I
only get a reference to a default device. This leads me to the idea that
somehow the configuration is at fault, i.e. the drivers are not looking to
the right location (in ALSA, apparently, a lot of coexisting sound cards are
possible). But what I am missing also are some simple tools that kind of
would try to show the complete audio chain: chip - drivers - high end
drivers, showing me where the thing is broken. A lot of drivers are listed,
but are they actually used?? depmod is only of limited use.

The ALSA doc is not very helpful to me, because the ALSA drivers are
included in the 2.6.22 kernel, so downloading/building in the ALSA stuff is
probalby not needed at all. But maybe there is still something in utils or
lib (from ALSA) that might be of help? (I didn't try) Furthermore when it
comes to configuration, the whole ALSA doc gets me seriously lost.

Does this concur with your own findings/reasonings so far? Or am I missing
out on something?

Thanks for any meaningful, non-black-magic input!

Peter

On Nov 25, 2007 1:07 AM, Danny Staple <email address hidden> wrote:

> Hi Fern,
>
> As the poster pwii mentioned, you need to remove the entry (or comment
> out)
> in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-oss.
>
> You should note that as Lee Revell mentioned, this module could
> potentially
> lead to system lock ups - have a rescue CD handy to add the module back
> into
> the blacklist if it does not work.
>
> Cheers,
> Danny
>
> On 24/11/2007, fern <email address hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Danny
> >
> > I want to try this, too, but what is "unblacklisting"...

Read more...

fern (fernmarques) wrote :
Download full text (4.5 KiB)

Thanks, Danny

Well, too Linux-techy for me, still. I will wait for
an automatic solution in one of the updates, if ever
one comes. In the meantime, back to Windows.

It doesn't affect me all that much, as I have other
machines, and Ubuntu was an enthusiastic attempt on my
part at Linux. I know Linux is supposed to be worked
on by the community, but even its operation requires
the user to be too techy (The Terminal).

This sound difficulty with the NeoMagic hardware is
old, and it seems to be a condition rather than a
problem.

Maybe, one day.

Thanks, Danny

Fern

--- Danny Staple <email address hidden> wrote:

> Hi Fern,
>
> As the poster pwii mentioned, you need to remove the
> entry (or comment out)
> in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-oss.
>
> You should note that as Lee Revell mentioned, this
> module could potentially
> lead to system lock ups - have a rescue CD handy to
> add the module back into
> the blacklist if it does not work.
>
> Cheers,
> Danny
>
> On 24/11/2007, fern <email address hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Danny
> >
> > I want to try this, too, but what is
> "unblacklisting",
> > and how do I do it?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Fern
> >
> >
> > --- Danny Staple <email address hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > OTOH - Abbreviation for "On The Other Hand"..
> > >
> > > After unblacklisting, you might get away with
> simply
> > > inserting the module
> > > again, with no reboot. Try this on the command
> line:
> > > "modprobe nm256_audio"
> > >
> > > Then check dmesg.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Danny
> > >
> > > On 24/11/2007, pwii <email address hidden>
> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I don't know what OTOH is...
> > > >
> > > > unblacklisting nm256, is that in
> > > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-oss
> > > > [nm256_audio]
> > > > ?
> > > >
> > > > I guess after unblacklisting I will need to
> > > reboot.
> > > >
> > > > Thx again -- Peter
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On Nov 23, 2007 11:32 PM, Lee Revell
> > > <email address hidden> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > On Nov 23, 2007 5:07 PM, Peter Willaert
> > > <email address hidden> wrote:
> > > > > > Now that's quick! As far as I can see (I
> once
> > > had 5+ years of
> > > > > experience in
> > > > > > HP-UX, but that's 10 years ago, so please
> > > excuse me for unclarities)
> > > > the
> > > > > > same behaviour as reported in
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=209882
> > > > > >
> > > > > > that is:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > lspci reports the card/soundchip allright
> > > > > > dmesg report nm256 as being blacklisted,
> > > loading stopped?
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > OK. If this is the case then it looks like
> a
> > > different bug (the
> > > > > notorious old nm256 bug was that the system
> > > would reboot or lock up
> > > > > hard when loading the module). This OTOH is
> a
> > > "no sound" bug...
> > > > >
> > > > > Try un-blacklisting nm256 and see if that
> > > works...
> > > > >
> > > > > Lee
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not
> > > include oss sound module
> > > > nm256_audio
> > > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/47706
> > > > You received this bug notification because you
> are
> > > a dir...

Read more...

pwii (peter-willaert) wrote :

After some further research, I now tend to believe that the problem is not a
*bug*, but has to do with a configuration issue on this type of laptop (HP
Omnibook 4150). The root cause seems to be the fact that the audio chip is
on the PCI bus but is emulated as an ISA card. Apparently this is not
handled well during hardware autodetection, resulting in no sound. Can you
agree to this diagnosis?

I have found some information on the net indicating that the OSS sound
system seems to be capable to delete the standard drivers and re-detect the
sound chip in its correct configuration. I believe that this should also be
possible from a command window using standard Linux configuration commands.
However, I have no idea how to do that. Could anyone of you point me into a
useful direction?

Maybe it's also a good idea to close this bug report?

Best regards,

Peter

fern (fernmarques) wrote :

Hi, Peter

Although I understand all you said, I don't know
enough about Linux to do anything about it. It is
possible that what you said about the hardware itself
is true, and probably is, but all I know is how to
report the "bug".

I don't know how the Linux/Ubuntu community is going
to correct this, or even if it is worth putting any
work into it but, for us, regular users, the
correction (if one ever comes) will have to be either
automatic or extremely well detailed in step by step.
I am not a novice at using computers, but The Terminal
and its line commands are very non-intuitive and light
explanations such as the ones I see posted are very
hard to follow; they expect us to know the subject.
This drives away the "human beings" that Ubuntu is
supposed to be for.

I have a great deal of respect for you who dedicate
the time and the effort to make it work for the rest
of us.

Thank you very much

Fern

--- pwii <email address hidden> wrote:

> After some further research, I now tend to believe
> that the problem is not a
> *bug*, but has to do with a configuration issue on
> this type of laptop (HP
> Omnibook 4150). The root cause seems to be the fact
> that the audio chip is
> on the PCI bus but is emulated as an ISA card.
> Apparently this is not
> handled well during hardware autodetection,
> resulting in no sound. Can you
> agree to this diagnosis?
>
> I have found some information on the net indicating
> that the OSS sound
> system seems to be capable to delete the standard
> drivers and re-detect the
> sound chip in its correct configuration. I believe
> that this should also be
> possible from a command window using standard Linux
> configuration commands.
> However, I have no idea how to do that. Could
> anyone of you point me into a
> useful direction?
>
> Maybe it's also a good idea to close this bug
> report?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter
>
> --
> snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not include
> oss sound module nm256_audio
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/47706
> You received this bug notification because you are a
> direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

      Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/gift/

Hi Peter,

I would advise not closing the bug report until you have found out how to
exactly solve the issue, and like Fern mentioned, it has been solved in an
automatic user friendly way in the distribution. Even a downloadable
"download and run this magic" script would be better than the current
scenario of users with no sound.

Unfortunately, although I know Linux commands, I do not own or have said
hardware to try it out myself. My advice would be to gather up an idea of
the kernel modules that are otherwise interacting with/supporting the
hardware, and rmmod them. Maybe you could post the full output of lsmod, and
that might be a starting point.

Cheers,
Danny

On 27/11/2007, pwii <email address hidden> wrote:
>
> After some further research, I now tend to believe that the problem is not
> a
> *bug*, but has to do with a configuration issue on this type of laptop (HP
> Omnibook 4150). The root cause seems to be the fact that the audio chip
> is
> on the PCI bus but is emulated as an ISA card. Apparently this is not
> handled well during hardware autodetection, resulting in no sound. Can you
> agree to this diagnosis?
>
> I have found some information on the net indicating that the OSS sound
> system seems to be capable to delete the standard drivers and re-detect
> the
> sound chip in its correct configuration. I believe that this should also
> be
> possible from a command window using standard Linux configuration
> commands.
> However, I have no idea how to do that. Could anyone of you point me into
> a
> useful direction?
>
> Maybe it's also a good idea to close this bug report?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter
>
> --
> snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not include oss sound module
> nm256_audio
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/47706
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

--
Danny Staple MBCS
OrionRobots
http://orionrobots.co.uk/blogs/dannystaple
(Full contact details available through website)

khaj zrlo (khaj-zrlo) wrote :

I think it's a bug, since the OSS nm256_audio kernel module from
2.6.12-9-386 works, but the later alsa modules do not, at least on my
Panasonic Let's Note CF-M1ER.

My workaround to get sound working is simply to downgrade to kernel
2.6.12-9-386 and load the nm256_audio module.

On 11/27/07, Danny Staple <email address hidden> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I would advise not closing the bug report until you have found out how to
> exactly solve the issue, and like Fern mentioned, it has been solved in an
> automatic user friendly way in the distribution. Even a downloadable
> "download and run this magic" script would be better than the current
> scenario of users with no sound.
>
> Unfortunately, although I know Linux commands, I do not own or have said
> hardware to try it out myself. My advice would be to gather up an idea of
> the kernel modules that are otherwise interacting with/supporting the
> hardware, and rmmod them. Maybe you could post the full output of lsmod, and
> that might be a starting point.
>
> Cheers,
> Danny
>
> On 27/11/2007, pwii <email address hidden> wrote:
> >
> > After some further research, I now tend to believe that the problem is not
> > a
> > *bug*, but has to do with a configuration issue on this type of laptop (HP
> > Omnibook 4150). The root cause seems to be the fact that the audio chip
> > is
> > on the PCI bus but is emulated as an ISA card. Apparently this is not
> > handled well during hardware autodetection, resulting in no sound. Can you
> > agree to this diagnosis?
> >
> > I have found some information on the net indicating that the OSS sound
> > system seems to be capable to delete the standard drivers and re-detect
> > the
> > sound chip in its correct configuration. I believe that this should also
> > be
> > possible from a command window using standard Linux configuration
> > commands.
> > However, I have no idea how to do that. Could anyone of you point me into
> > a
> > useful direction?
> >
> > Maybe it's also a good idea to close this bug report?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Peter
> >
> > --
> > snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not include oss sound module
> > nm256_audio
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/47706
> > You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> > of the bug.
> >
>
>
> --
> Danny Staple MBCS
> OrionRobots
> http://orionrobots.co.uk/blogs/dannystaple
> (Full contact details available through website)
>
> --
> snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not include oss sound module
> nm256_audio
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/47706
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Caroline Ford (secretlondon) wrote :

The Hardy Heron Alpha series is currently under development and contains an updated version of the kernel. You can download and try the new Hardy Heron Alpha release from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/hardy/ . You should be able to test the new kernel using the LiveCD. If you can, please verify if this bug still exists or not and report back your results. General information regarding the release can also be found here: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/ . Thanks.

Please include the information requested from the "Reporting Sound Bugs" section of [WWW] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems as separate attachments.

Changed in linux-source-2.6.22:
status: New → Incomplete
fern (fernmarques) wrote :

I have received a message from Caroline Ford suggesting to try Hardy Haron Apha's thing. I did, Alpha 6, and the sound still doesn't work.

So, Hardy Heron does nothing for this problem.

Also, the happy CD of this Alpha 6 that supposedly doesn't install on the hard disk is way too aggressive, and starts installing on the disk. Bad CD. Bad CD.

Fern

fern (fernmarques) wrote :

Hi, Caroline

Thanks for your message.

I downloaded Hardy Heron Alpha 6, created a CD, put it
on the Laptop and no sound, cant't find the hardware,
the same story as before. So, the bug is still there,
and I added an entry to the thread at the bug
reporting thing, as you requested.

I am concerned that the CD starts installing and
changing the partitions to the hard disk, even though
it is supposed to run from the CD and "not change your
system at all". I had to catch it before it messed up
my installation. Very aggressive. Not for human
beings at all. I'd trash it.

Fern

--- Caroline Ford <email address hidden>
wrote:

> The Hardy Heron Alpha series is currently under
> development and contains
> an updated version of the kernel. You can download
> and try the new Hardy
> Heron Alpha release from
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/hardy/ . You
> should be able to test the new kernel using the
> LiveCD. If you can,
> please verify if this bug still exists or not and
> report back your
> results. General information regarding the release
> can also be found
> here: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/ . Thanks.
>
> Please include the information requested from the
> "Reporting Sound Bugs"
> section of [WWW]
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems as
> separate attachments.
>
> ** Changed in: linux-source-2.6.22 (Ubuntu)
> Status: New => Incomplete
>
> --
> snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not include
> oss sound module nm256_audio
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/47706
> You received this bug notification because you are a
> direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

      Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers.yahoo.com

khaj zrlo (khaj-zrlo) wrote :

Hi Caroline,
I will be unable to test this further, as my laptop which had the
nm256 chip on it has died.
RIP.
(Rest In Pieces).

On 3/8/08, fern <email address hidden> wrote:
> Hi, Caroline
>
> Thanks for your message.
>
> I downloaded Hardy Heron Alpha 6, created a CD, put it
> on the Laptop and no sound, cant't find the hardware,
> the same story as before. So, the bug is still there,
> and I added an entry to the thread at the bug
> reporting thing, as you requested.
>
> I am concerned that the CD starts installing and
> changing the partitions to the hard disk, even though
> it is supposed to run from the CD and "not change your
> system at all". I had to catch it before it messed up
> my installation. Very aggressive. Not for human
> beings at all. I'd trash it.
>
> Fern
>
> --- Caroline Ford <email address hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > The Hardy Heron Alpha series is currently under
> > development and contains
> > an updated version of the kernel. You can download
> > and try the new Hardy
> > Heron Alpha release from
> > http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/hardy/ . You
> > should be able to test the new kernel using the
> > LiveCD. If you can,
> > please verify if this bug still exists or not and
> > report back your
> > results. General information regarding the release
> > can also be found
> > here: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/ . Thanks.
> >
> > Please include the information requested from the
> > "Reporting Sound Bugs"
> > section of [WWW]
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems as
> > separate attachments.
> >
> > ** Changed in: linux-source-2.6.22 (Ubuntu)
> > Status: New => Incomplete
> >
> > --
> > snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not include
> > oss sound module nm256_audio
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/47706
> > You received this bug notification because you are a
> > direct subscriber
> > of the bug.
> >
>
>
> Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go
> to Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers.yahoo.com
>
> --
> snd_nm256 module in dapper broken. Does not include oss sound module
> nm256_audio
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/47706
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

Changed in linux-source-2.6.15:
status: New → Incomplete
Daniel T Chen (crimsun) on 2008-09-13
Changed in linux-source-2.6.15:
status: Incomplete → Won't Fix
Changed in linux-source-2.6.22:
status: Incomplete → Won't Fix
DoomWarrior (doomwarriorx) wrote :

to place some cookies, for people how have the same problem and found a workaround!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=284405

this also works for me on my Omnibook 4500 with Ubuntu 8.04.1:

>1) In the BIOS set soundcard to AUTO
>2) I deleted /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base (actually I MOVED it to a safe place just in case)
>2b) I deleted the "blacklist sb" line from /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-oss file
>3) I created /etc/modprobe.d/inspiron3500snd
>4) File /etc/modprobe.d/inspiron3500snd is composed of the stanzas posted by Pianoman72:
>Code:
>
>blacklist snd-opl3sa2
>blacklist snd-nm256
>alias snd-card-0 snd-sb8
>options snd-card-0 index=0
>options snd-sb8 irq=5 port=0x220 dma8=1
>install snd-sb8 /sbin/modprobe snd_seq; /sbin/modprobe snd_opl3_synth; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-sb8 && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
>remove snd-sb8 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-sb8

>The last 2 lines are rather complex. So it might be a good idea to cut and paste.
>5) VERY IMPORTANT: For me at least, the above solution only works if I manually reload the snd-sb8 module. So I added a line to the /etc/modules file. The stanza that I added is :
>snd-sb8

I tried several other solutions flying around in the internet (including cs4232 and siblings) but non of them works. Thanks to Pianoman72 and Michael Longval my box has finally sound!

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers