Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter Can't Connect After Screen Locks

Bug #1251256 reported by Michael Murphy on 2013-11-14
10
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
linux-firmware (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned
Precise
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

Wait for the screen to lock, then log back in...voila! You will no longer be able to reconnect to any network connections until you reboot (of which I can't seem to get Ubuntu 12.04.3) to shut down.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
Package: linux-firmware 1.79.7
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-33.48~precise1-generic 3.8.13.11
Uname: Linux 3.8.0-33-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.6
Architecture: amd64
Date: Thu Nov 14 08:05:54 2013
Dependencies:

InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64 (20130820.1)
MarkForUpload: True
PackageArchitecture: all
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=en_CA:en
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: linux-firmware
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)

Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury) wrote :

Did this issue occur in a previous version of Ubuntu, or is this a new issue?

Would it be possible for you to test the latest upstream kernel? Refer to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds . Please test the latest v3.12 kernel[0].

If this bug is fixed in the mainline kernel, please add the following tag 'kernel-fixed-upstream'.

If the mainline kernel does not fix this bug, please add the tag: 'kernel-bug-exists-upstream'.

If you are unable to test the mainline kernel, for example it will not boot, please add the tag: 'kernel-unable-to-test-upstream'.
Once testing of the upstream kernel is complete, please mark this bug as "Confirmed".

Thanks in advance.

[0] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.12-trusty/

Changed in linux-firmware (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
affects: linux-firmware (Ubuntu) → linux (Ubuntu)

This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem. From a terminal window please run:

apport-collect 1251256

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the Ubuntu Kernel Team.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
Michael Murphy (mmstick) wrote :

This is a bug with the linux-firmware package. By installing a newer linux-firmware package the bug is solved.

affects: linux (Ubuntu) → linux-firmware (Ubuntu)
Changed in linux-firmware (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → New
Michael Murphy (mmstick) on 2013-11-15
Changed in linux-firmware (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury) wrote :

Can you post the newer linux-firmware version that resolves the bug?

tags: added: kernel-da-key
Michael Murphy (mmstick) wrote :

I'm currently using firmware 1.117.

Michael Murphy (mmstick) wrote :

It solved both the wifi issues and the issue where it would not shut down.

Joseph Salisbury (jsalisbury) wrote :

Thanks for the update. 1.117 is the version of linux-firmware that is in Trusty.

Saucy has the 1.116 firmware version. Do you happen to know if the bug exists with 1.116 as well?

tags: added: raring

It doesn't happen with 1.116 either.

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Joseph Salisbury <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Thanks for the update. 1.117 is the version of linux-firmware that is
> in Trusty.
>
> Saucy has the 1.116 firmware version. Do you happen to know if the bug
> exists with 1.116 as well?
>
> ** Tags added: raring
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to the bug
> report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1251256
>
> Title:
> Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter Can't Connect After
> Screen Locks
>
> Status in “linux-firmware” package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> Wait for the screen to lock, then log back in...voila! You will no
> longer be able to reconnect to any network connections until you
> reboot (of which I can't seem to get Ubuntu 12.04.3) to shut down.
>
> ProblemType: Bug
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
> Package: linux-firmware 1.79.7
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-33.48~precise1-generic 3.8.13.11
> Uname: Linux 3.8.0-33-generic x86_64
> ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.6
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Thu Nov 14 08:05:54 2013
> Dependencies:
>
> InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
> (20130820.1)
> MarkForUpload: True
> PackageArchitecture: all
> ProcEnviron:
> LANGUAGE=en_CA:en
> PATH=(custom, no user)
> LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SourcePackage: linux-firmware
> UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
>
> To manage notifications about this bug go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-firmware/+bug/1251256/+subscriptions
>

Michael Murphy (mmstick) wrote :

The bug doesn't exist with firmware 1.116 either.

Changed in linux-firmware (Ubuntu Precise):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Confirmed

I'm using linux-firmware version 1.106 and this bug happand with my notebook (ASUS, Wireless: Atheros AR9285).
How do I upgrade this package? ('apt-get upgrade' doesn't solved)

Michael Murphy (mmstick) wrote :

If you are using Ubuntu 12.04, you can add the pali PPA for the latest open source graphics drivers and linux-firmware.

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:pali/graphics-drivers; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

Otherwise if you just want linux-firmware:

cd /tmp; wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/161429534/linux-firmware_1.118_all.deb; sudo dpkg -i linux*.deb

Or you can upgrade to Ubuntu 13.10/14.04

Manuel Sampedro (msampedro) wrote :

Uso ubuntu 13.10 x64, tengo linux-firmware 1.116.2 y sigo teniendo problemas, he formateado y he vuelto a instalar lo mismo y sigo teniendo el mismo problema.He probado varias cosas sin resultado, lo que he conseguido es fastidiarlo mas.
Que opinais de instalar el ultimo kernel disponible?
Por favor, ayuda!!. Gracias
Ubuntu 13.10 x64 with linux-firmware 1.116.2, and I have the same problem. I've formated and reinstall the same dist and I have the same problem. What is your opinion about installing the last kernel?
Please help!!. Thanks

I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 and the error persist...

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers