computer locks up using rt61pci

Bug #194650 reported by Wade Menard on 2008-02-23
74
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Linux
Fix Released
Medium
linux (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned
linux-backports-modules-2.6.24 (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned
linux-meta (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: linux-source-2.6.24

When using the wireless under the Hardy Alpha 5 i386 Desktop CD, the will lock up the computer entirely within a few minutes of network access. If I don't associate with a network I can run for hours doing various things. But a few pages in firefox or wget will lock the computer up hard.

05:02.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
 Subsystem: RaLink EW-7108PCg
 Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
 Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
 Latency: 32, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
 Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19
 Region 0: Memory at fa100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
 Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
  Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
  Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-

Appears to be using the rt61pci module.

Wade Menard (wade-ezri) wrote :

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10024

links to a patch: http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/2/26

I'm not savvy enough to test this locally but it's working for the original reporter.

Changed in linux:
status: Unknown → Confirmed

i've tried the whole 2.6.25-rc3 from git wireless-tert branch and - apart from a new keyboard lockup I can't really say from where - the patch seems to fix the panic, but it looks like the connection is however still lost (this might come from a somewhere else, though, because I noticed issues on ethernet too :/)

Changed in linux:
status: Confirmed → Fix Released

Hi Guys,

I'm just including the upstream git commit id and description for the kernel team to reference. Thanks.

commit 1d60ab0574fae362b1cca0ef52181ef75fd46832
Author: Stefano Brivio <email address hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 2 11:33:10 2008 +0100

    rc80211-pid: fix rate adjustment

    Merge rate_control_pid_shift_adjust() to rate_control_pid_adjust_rate()
    in order to make the learning algorithm aware of constraints on rates. Also
    add some comments and rename variables.

    This fixes a bug which prevented 802.11b/g non-AP STAs from working with
    802.11b only AP STAs.

    This patch was originally destined for 2.6.26, and is being backported
    to fix a user reported problem in post-2.6.24 kernels.

    Signed-off-by: Stefano Brivio <email address hidden>
    Signed-off-by: John W. Linville <email address hidden>

Changed in linux:
assignee: nobody → ubuntu-kernel-team
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: Confirmed → Triaged
Mark Baas (mark-baas123) wrote :

Is this patch already included in hardy?

it's not. kernel will hang

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Mark Baas <email address hidden> wrote:
> Is this patch already included in hardy?
>
> --
> computer locks up using rt61pci
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/194650
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

TGM (tommann.home) wrote :

HI Guys,

I'm having the same problem on Ubuntu Hardy x64 (2.6.24-15-generic) with zd1211rw driver - it seems to remove the mouse cursor and stop responding to the keyboard whilst picking up a dhcp address - I have plenty of free IPs in range.
There was a kernel dump (which I found by logging in then quickly switching to console 2 (ctrl-alt-f2)).

This was working in the previous kernel (2.6.24-12-generic)

Any easy way to retrieve that kernel dump for you guys?

Chris Coulson (chrisccoulson) wrote :

mrguitarmann - This report is tracking a bug in the rt61pci Ralink driver. Although your symptoms are the same as what is reported by others here, the cause is not the same (as you say you are using the zd1211rw driver). Please have a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebuggingSystemCrash and open a new bug report if necessary.

Benoit Malet (benoit-malet) wrote :

Had to blacklist rt61pci driver and use CVS legacy rt61 driver from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com

So far, it passed the torture test : transfer of huge files on the network (samba) in 54Mbps mode, while using bittorrent and playing online flash games ...

In the same conditions with rt61pci driver, I would already have been forced to reboot !

Don't know if it helps ... In any case, available for any complementary information.

Regards,
Benoît

michele (mikj) wrote :

Ciao :)

  Me too.
  Acer wlmi1524, wireless card ipn2220 (it does not work after I upgraded from gusty to hardy alpha6 kubuntu, see the 205000 bug) and a pcmcia card ralink rt2600 mimo ...

Linux 2.6.24-15-generic amd64

mikj

PhilboBaggins (ppoletti-gmail) wrote :

I'm running 2.6.24-16-generic. I am receiving odd messages via dmesg when running with rt61pci. Also high traffic such as bit torrent will hard lock the computer. I am available to help debug via dumping any logfiles.

Phil

Barrakketh (barrakketh) wrote :

Something that I discovered yesterday is that there is a linux-backports-modules-hardy package in hardy-backports that contains a more recent version of rt61pci. It might be worth trying, especially if torrents cause your computer to hard lock (probably accompanied by blinking caps and scroll lock lights). I've had my torrent client open and seeding for about 12 hours now and things have been stable.

Niels Egberts (nielsegberts) wrote :

I've got the same issue, ever few minutes it locks up and I cant move my mouse for a few seconds or the screen just totally locks up with the caps- and scroll-lock blinking.

I'm running 64 bit hardy on a dell laptop d830.

PhilboBaggins (ppoletti-gmail) wrote :
  • unnamed Edit (2.4 KiB, text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1)

Try the linux-backports-module. It worked for me.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:43 AM, BackwardsDown <email address hidden>
wrote:

> I've got the same issue, ever few minutes it locks up and I cant move my
> mouse for a few seconds or the screen just totally locks up with the
> caps- and scroll-lock blinking.
>
> I'm running 64 bit hardy on a dell laptop d830.
>
> --
> computer locks up using rt61pci
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/194650
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in The Linux Kernel: Fix Released
> Status in Source Package "linux" in Ubuntu: Triaged
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: linux-source-2.6.24
>
> When using the wireless under the Hardy Alpha 5 i386 Desktop CD, the will
> lock up the computer entirely within a few minutes of network access. If I
> don't associate with a network I can run for hours doing various things. But
> a few pages in firefox or wget will lock the computer up hard.
>
> 05:02.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
> Subsystem: RaLink EW-7108PCg
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 32, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19
> Region 0: Memory at fa100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
> Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
> Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
> PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
> Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
>
> Appears to be using the rt61pci module.
>

Wade, since you are the original bug reporter, care to comment if using the updated version of the driver available in the linux-backports-modules package resolves this issue for you? Thanks.

Marking this Incomplete until we get feedback from Wade. Also closing the "linux" task since this should be resolved with "linux-backports-modules". Thanks.

Changed in linux:
status: New → Invalid
Changed in linux-backports-modules-2.6.24:
status: Triaged → Incomplete

Marking this "Fix Released" since we haven't heard from Wade but comments here from other indicate this is fixed. Wade, please reopen if linux-backports-modules did not resolve this issue. If anyone else is still experiencing issues even after having installed linux-backports-modules please open a new report. Thanks.

Changed in linux-backports-modules-2.6.24:
status: Incomplete → Fix Released
RedRaider (redraider1863) wrote :

Sorry for this newbie question: can anyone provide some guidance as to how to implement the fix? There appears to be several "linux-backports-modules" and I'm not sure which one is supposed to be installed. Also, once it is installed, is that it, or do further steps need to be taken? If more steps need to be taken, what are they? I'm running Hardy on a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop, with a edimax wireless card (ralink), and get the same lockup problem. Thanks.

RedRaider (redraider1863) wrote :

After installing the fix back in June, the issue was resolved for me. However, after a recent update (a couple of days ago), which I believe updated the linux-backports-modules, the problem seems to have returned. Anybody else experience this?

melat0nin (melat0nin) wrote :

Can someone give some instructions on how to use the backports driver? I installed the linux-modules-backports-<kernel> package, but it prevents me from logging in -- after GDM all I see is a white screen with the mouse cursor, and all I can do is log into failsafe terminal and remove the package, taking me back to square #1.

Help much appreciated :) laurence dot diver at gmail dot com

Sense Egbert Hofstede (sense) wrote :

2008/8/11 RedRaider <email address hidden>

> After installing the fix back in June, the issue was resolved for me.
> However, after a recent update (a couple of days ago), which I believe
> updated the linux-backports-modules, the problem seems to have returned.
> Anybody else experience this?
>
> --
> computer locks up using rt61pci
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/194650
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug.
>
>
>
I can't confirm it, but my brother can.
He had exactly the same problem, which was solved in Hardy Heron -- the
reason why he switched to Ubuntu from OpenSuSE (later it became one of the
reasons).

It doesn't always freeze and lately the number of freezes decreased, but it
does happen. It happens when
the network is used, which is of course logical. However, it doesn't happen
most of the times when Synaptic is in use, but now the most frequent cause
of the freezes is another computer trying to get access to a WebDAV folder
on his laptop.

Another issue is that the network connection seems to disappear after a
while, even though the status icon in the notification area is just fine.
Resetting the switch solves this, so it could be a problem with the switch.
--
Sense Hofstede
<http://www.qense.nl/>

Sense Egbert Hofstede (sense) wrote :

2008/8/31 Sense Hofstede <email address hidden>

>
>
> 2008/8/11 RedRaider <email address hidden>
>
> After installing the fix back in June, the issue was resolved for me.
>> However, after a recent update (a couple of days ago), which I believe
>> updated the linux-backports-modules, the problem seems to have returned.
>> Anybody else experience this?
>>
>> --
>> computer locks up using rt61pci
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/194650
>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>> of a duplicate bug.
>>
>>
>>
> I can't confirm it, but my brother can.
> He had exactly the same problem, which was solved in Hardy Heron -- the
> reason why he switched to Ubuntu from OpenSuSE (later it became one of the
> reasons).
>
> It doesn't always freeze and lately the number of freezes decreased, but it
> does happen. It happens when
> the network is used, which is of course logical. However, it doesn't happen
> most of the times when Synaptic is in use, but now the most frequent cause
> of the freezes is another computer trying to get access to a WebDAV folder
> on his laptop.
>
> Another issue is that the network connection seems to disappear after a
> while, even though the status icon in the notification area is just fine.
> Resetting the switch solves this, so it could be a problem with the switch.
> --
> Sense Hofstede
> <http://www.qense.nl/>
>

Correction: It does happen every time he tries to install something and also
very often when he tries to start firefox.

--
Sense Hofstede
<http://www.qense.nl/>

Per a decision made by the Ubuntu Kernel Team, bugs will longer be assigned to the ubuntu-kernel-team in Launchpad as part of the bug triage process. The ubuntu-kernel-team is being unassigned from this bug report. Refer to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeamBugPolicies for more information. Thanks.

AndriyK (kostyuk) wrote :

I also have this bug on my desktop.
I asked the question how can I fix it: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/55096
but nobody answers.
Can anybody help me?

robsstartrek (robs-startrek) wrote :

the caps lockup flashing bug effect mine and using a toshiba x205 sli1 laptop with wireless / non wireless problem

since , I was turning off my 1tb hard drive usb connection type and it also cause this problem too I think, so I am not sure its really wireless problem but since the last time I notice it was using youtube web site in firefox

this bug also at

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/205653

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/309003

same bug for all 3 of them so far , dmesg are add it here too if that helps

robsstartrek (robs-startrek) wrote :

also anyone know if this bug is 64bit only or does it also effect the 32bit version of ubuntu?

robsstartrek (robs-startrek) wrote :

any linux it effects , not ubuntu specific , also not kernel specific I think

Kees Cook (kees) on 2009-03-25
Changed in linux-meta (Ubuntu):
status: New → Invalid
security vulnerability: yes → no
Magnes (magnesus2) wrote :

The bug is still here in Ubuntu 9.04 running 2.6.28-11-generic kernel.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Invalid → Confirmed
Sense Egbert Hofstede (sense) wrote :

I can confirm this on Ubuntu 9.04 amd64 with the PCI card of the RT61 and on Ubuntu 9.04 32bit with the built-in laptop version of the RT61.

Attached you can find the last lines of kern.log before the system froze.

Sense Egbert Hofstede (sense) wrote :

Apparantly I was too fast to blame the freezes on the RT61, it seems that in the occasions I named it was caused by ext4.

Niels Egberts (nielsegberts) wrote :

My issue was another bug in the end and is fixed in Intrepid and Jaunty.

Re-closing this bug. @Magnes, if you could please open a new bug if you are still experiencing issues that would be great. Thanks.

Changed in linux (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
Changed in linux:
importance: Unknown → Medium
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.