Lilo installation error on Software RAID

Bug #68405 reported by fuzzie on 2006-10-26
10
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
lilo (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: lilo

Hi,

I tried installing Ubuntu 6.10 Server on Software RAID-1 (2 harddisks, 1 large raid partition on each harddisk) and LVM on the raid array (md0). root, boot, usr, var, swap, etc. are all logical volumes.

I got the following error at the point where lilo should be installed:

Oct 26 13:36:04 apt-install: The following NEW packages will be installed:
Oct 26 13:36:04 apt-install: lilo
Oct 26 13:36:04 apt-install: Preconfiguring packages ...
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: Need to get 0B/343kB of archives.
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: After unpacking 1098kB of additional disk space will be used.
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: Selecting previously deselected package lilo.
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: (Reading database ...
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: 13977 files and directories currently installed.)
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: Unpacking lilo (from .../lilo_22.6.1-7ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: Setting up lilo (22.6.1-7ubuntu2) ...
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: mount: /dev/mapper/vg0-boot already mounted or /boot busy
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: dpkg: error processing lilo (--configure):
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 32
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: Errors were encountered while processing:
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: lilo
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: E:
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Oct 26 13:36:05 apt-install:
Oct 26 13:36:05 lilo-installer: info: Calling 'apt-install lilo' failed

I managed to install lilo manually as follows:

I copied /proc/devices and /proc/partitions to /target/proc and then installed lilo manually by executing "lilo".

Hope this helps to solve the problem.

Greetings
Georg

When I installed using this mechanism, I had the same problem with LILO and had to install it manually. It appears that the installation shell uses a terminal mode called "BRTERM". The LILO post-installation script doesn't like that and raises an error after installing everything correctly. This is interpreted by the installation script as a failure on LILO.

Andreas Moog (ampelbein) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. You reported this bug a while ago and there hasn't been any activity in it recently. We were wondering is this still an issue for you? Can you try with latest Ubuntu release? Thanks in advance.

Changed in lilo:
status: New → Incomplete

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

We are closing this bug report because it lacks the information we need
to investigate the problem, as described in the previous comments.
Please reopen it if you can give us the missing information, and don't
hesitate to submit bug reports in the future. To reopen the bug report
you can click on the current status, under the Status column, and change
the Status back to "New". Thanks again!

 status invalid

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkiuj+UACgkQ06FgkPZwicSqrACcDw6zBy8ZSP6x5/UdcjOrRSsA
tSkAoN2fNuYecE5NivJlXJVGU+I9DOq7
=XGDB
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Changed in lilo:
status: Incomplete → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers