unity-window-decorator: Resize padding: Tiny focused windows lose resize padding and shadow when <69 pixels wide

Bug #737707 reported by Matthew Paul Thomas on 2011-03-18
6
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Unity
Fix Released
Low
Sam Spilsbury
compiz (Ubuntu)
Medium
Sam Spilsbury
light-themes (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Andrea Cimitan
unity (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

light-themes 0.1.8.10, compiz 1:0.9.4-0ubuntu7, Ubuntu Natty

1. By dragging one of its sides, resize a window to be 69 pixels wide.
2. By dragging one of its sides, resize the window to be 68 pixels wide.
3. By dragging one of its sides, try resizing the window again.
4. Focus a different window, then try resizing the original window again.

What happens:
1. The window resizes, and gets the large shadow intended for focused windows.
2. The window reverts to the small shadow intended for unfocused windows.
3. The window sides are no longer draggable.
4. The window sides are draggable again.

What should happen:
2. The window retains its large shadow.
3. The window sides remain draggable.

description: updated
summary: - Focused window gets unfocused-window shadow when <69 pixels wide
+ Focused window loses resizable sides and large shadow when <69 pixels
+ wide
Paul Sladen (sladen) on 2011-03-21
summary: - Focused window loses resizable sides and large shadow when <69 pixels
- wide
+ Resize padding: Tiny focused windows lose resize padding and shadow when
+ <69 pixels wide
Changed in light-themes (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
summary: - Resize padding: Tiny focused windows lose resize padding and shadow when
- <69 pixels wide
+ unity-window-decorator: Resize padding: Tiny focused windows lose resize
+ padding and shadow when <69 pixels wide
Paul Sladen (sladen) wrote :

Reproduce more simply with:

  1. Ctrl-Alt-t (open in new Terminal)
  2. Resize it as small as you can (the resize padding borders have gone and all that remains is the 1px border... which will disappear with a new upload of bug #733233 anyway).

This will likely be down to the code that is acting on the configuration in the theme, rather than the theme itself, which I presume is 'unity-window-decorator'; apologies in advance if that is presumptuous.

Alex Launi (alexlauni) on 2011-03-23
Changed in unity:
status: New → Confirmed
importance: Undecided → Low

That's peculiar. I'll have to look into this on friday

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Alex Launi <email address hidden> wrote:
> ** Changed in: unity
>       Status: New => Confirmed
>
> ** Changed in: unity
>   Importance: Undecided => Low
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a member of compiz
> packagers, which is subscribed to compiz in Ubuntu.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/737707
>
> Title:
>  unity-window-decorator: Resize padding: Tiny focused windows lose
>  resize padding and shadow when <69 pixels wide
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~compiz
> Post to     : <email address hidden>
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~compiz
> More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

--
Sam Spilsbury

Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: New → In Progress
Changed in unity:
status: Confirmed → In Progress
Changed in unity:
milestone: none → 3.8
Changed in light-themes (Ubuntu):
milestone: none → ubuntu-11.04-beta-1
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-03-24
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: New → In Progress
Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-03-28
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.8 → 3.8.2
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.8.2 → 3.8.4
Changed in light-themes (Ubuntu):
milestone: ubuntu-11.04-beta-1 → ubuntu-11.04-beta-2
Duncan McGreggor (oubiwann) wrote :

Kate pinged me about this, and David and I chatted about on IRC. He will update the ticket with any assignments and the current status.

Andrea Cimitan (cimi) on 2011-04-04
Changed in light-themes (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Invalid
Changed in light-themes (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Andrea Cimitan (cimi)
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Sam "SmSpillaz" Spilsbury (smspillaz)
David Barth (dbarth) wrote :

Done. However, I'd like to re-evaluate the priority of the compiz task, to medium/low, to better reflect the current 'low' priority set on unity. Also the 'sniffle' status expressed in mpt's bugs.

Changed in unity:
assignee: nobody → Sam "SmSpillaz" Spilsbury (smspillaz)
tags: added: unity
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
importance: High → Medium
Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) wrote :

David, "sniffles" means only that it is a Unity bug reported by a Canonical designer. It does not mean that it is important or unimportant. That said, I agree this particular bug is of relatively low importance, since windows seldom get narrower than 69 pixels.

seems to happen when we revert to the default decorations due to the
fact that the decoration being too small - adding the border in this
case.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas <email address hidden> wrote:
> David, "sniffles" means only that it is a Unity bug reported by a
> Canonical designer. It does not mean that it is important or
> unimportant. That said, I agree this particular bug is of relatively low
> importance, since windows seldom get narrower than 69 pixels.
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are a bug assignee.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/737707
>
> Title:
>  unity-window-decorator: Resize padding: Tiny focused windows lose
>  resize padding and shadow when <69 pixels wide
>
> Status in Unity:
>  In Progress
> Status in “compiz” package in Ubuntu:
>  In Progress
> Status in “light-themes” package in Ubuntu:
>  Invalid
> Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
>  In Progress
>
> Bug description:
>  light-themes 0.1.8.10, compiz 1:0.9.4-0ubuntu7, Ubuntu Natty
>
>  1. By dragging one of its sides, resize a window to be 69 pixels wide.
>  2. By dragging one of its sides, resize the window to be 68 pixels wide.
>  3. By dragging one of its sides, try resizing the window again.
>  4. Focus a different window, then try resizing the original window again.
>
>  What happens:
>  1. The window resizes, and gets the large shadow intended for focused windows.
>  2. The window reverts to the small shadow intended for unfocused windows.
>  3. The window sides are no longer draggable.
>  4. The window sides are draggable again.
>
>  What should happen:
>  2. The window retains its large shadow.
>  3. The window sides remain draggable.
>

--
Sam Spilsbury

Didier Roche (didrocks) on 2011-04-07
Changed in unity:
milestone: 3.8.4 → 3.8.6
Sam Spilsbury (smspillaz) wrote :

Fix for this was released on 3.8.4

Changed in unity:
status: In Progress → Fix Released
Changed in compiz (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
Changed in unity (Ubuntu):
status: In Progress → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers