Liferea crashes on startup

Bug #656035 reported by epicmonkey on 2010-10-06
24
This bug affects 4 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Liferea
Unknown
Unknown
liferea (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: liferea

Liferea crashes on startup with the following error message:

ERROR:ui_node.c:195:ui_node_add: assertion failed: (NULL == ui_node_to_iter (node->id))

Steps to reproduce:
1) subscribe to a google-reader-account
2) while liferea is updating google-reader-account start creating new folders outside of google-reader-account and grag-n-droping feeds from there
3) after several created folder liferea will crash with a segfault:
** (liferea:32400): WARNING **: google_feed_subscription_process_update_result(): Couldn't parse XML!

(liferea:32400): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data_full: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Liferea did receive signal 11 (Segmentation fault).
4) run liferea once again. liferea fails to start with the message:
ERROR:ui_node.c:195:ui_node_add: assertion failed: (NULL == ui_node_to_iter (node->id))

Quick-n-dirty solution is to manually remove some entries from ~/.liferea/feedlist.opml

Description: Ubuntu maverick (development branch)
Release: 10.10

liferea:
  Installed: 1.6.3-1ubuntu4
  Candidate: 1.6.3-1ubuntu4
  Version table:
 *** 1.6.3-1ubuntu4 0
        500 http://en.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
Package: liferea 1.6.3-1ubuntu4
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-24.43-generic 2.6.32.15+drm33.5
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-24-generic i686
Architecture: i386
Date: Thu Oct 7 02:14:25 2010
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release i386 (20091028.5)
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_US.utf8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: liferea

epicmonkey (epicmonkey) wrote :
epicmonkey (epicmonkey) on 2010-10-06
summary: - Liferea is crashing on startup
+ Liferea crashes on startup
description: updated
Alexander Gnodtke (gnodtke) wrote :

I reproduced this bug:

Subscribed to Google Reader account
From menu "Subscription" -> "New Source" -> "Google Reader"

During the import I created folders in the "Example Feeds" folder and dragged and dropped feeds from the "Google Reader" folder to these new folders.

Changed in liferea (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Alexander Gnodtke (gnodtke) wrote :

I just tried this again and in fact you do not have to drag and drop feeds while the new Google Reader subscription is importing.
You can first close the application and then create a new folder outside of the Google Reader entry and drag and drop feeds from Google Reader into your new folder.
The application will crash as described above.

Changed in liferea (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: Confirmed → Triaged
Andres Bracho (andres-bracho) wrote :

Why everybody points to Google reader? I don't use Google reader and my liferea crashes...

I imported my subscribed news from rssowl to liferea, and I was able to update news once, then I edited the subscription list once... that was all... Liferea opens, update the first site and crashes, no matter what I do, it just crashes...

A user here (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3094891&group_id=87005&atid=581684) reports that removing packages smbfs , cifs-utils , and winbind solve the problem...

hormosapiens (hormosapiens) wrote :

hi all.
ubuntu 10.04 lucid. liferea 1.6.2.

i normally use liferea to red my google reader feeds. it has been working nice since 2007. last days i experienced some crashes on startup. clicking from icon or startin from terminal would not launch liferea anymore.
the new thing i changed/added was some new feeds like "le monde" "ny times" "la repubblica" and "the economist"

the fix for me was just go on homefolder, ctrl+h and on the liferea folder locate file "feedlist.opml"

i deleted any new feed i added last days and now liferea works as axpected.

now i dont know if this was a bug or i just added those feed in a apropriate way.
one thing i know is that i want to thanks the developers. :)
thanks

Emanuel Vianna (emanuelvianna) wrote :

I found the feedlist.opml that adi told and there was also a feedlist.opml.backup in the same directory (made by liferea some hours ago). backing to this old feed list made liferea work again. thanks!

Paul White (paulw2u) wrote :

Upstream bug showing "closed-fixed" on 2012-07-31
Fix released with Liferea 1.8.7
No comments here for over seven years
Will close by marking "Fix Released"

Changed in liferea (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.