liferea seems to show new unread news, after "update all", even if all news are already read

Bug #345771 reported by marco.pallotta on 2009-03-20
14
This bug affects 2 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
liferea (Ubuntu)
Low
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: liferea

If I mark all the news of a feed as read, after "update all" some news of the same feed are re-marked as unread (I see it because in the news list some of them are in bold), but the strange thing is that in the feed list I see no new news to read for that particular feed.
Not with all the feeds, I subscribed to, this thing happens (the issue happens, for example, for the feed http://www.beppegrillo.it).

Tested with Hardy and Liferea 1.4.14

marco.pallotta wrote:
> Public bug reported:
>
> Binary package hint: liferea
>
> If I mark all the news of a feed as read, after "update all" some news of the same feed are re-marked as unread (I see it because in the news list some of them are in bold), but the strange thing is that in the feed list I see no new news to read for that particular feed.
> Not with all the feeds, I subscribed to, this thing happens (the issue happens, for example, for the feed http://www.beppegrillo.it).
>
> Tested with Hardy and Liferea 1.4.14

This is likely fixed in Jaunty

marco.pallotta (marco-pallotta) wrote :

Emilio, can you confirm this bug?

marco.pallotta wrote:
> Emilio, can you confirm this bug?

I can't with svn trunk, and I believe it's fixed in newer versions of the 1.4
series.

Dimitrios Symeonidis (azimout) wrote :

This bug report is being closed due to your last comment regarding this being fixed with an update. For future reference you can manage the status of your own bugs by clicking on the current status in the yellow line and then choosing a new status in the revealed drop down box. You can learn more about bug statuses at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status . Thank you again for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. Feel free to submit any future bugs you may find.

Changed in liferea (Ubuntu):
status: New → Fix Released
marco.pallotta (marco-pallotta) wrote :

Dimitrios, the comment by Emilio doesn't say that the bug is fixed with an update. In fact Emilio says that he believes it's fixed in newer versions of the 1.4 series but not that he confirms this or he tested the update.

Changed in liferea (Ubuntu):
status: Fix Released → New
Dimitrios Symeonidis (azimout) wrote :

sorry, got confused about who the original reporter is :-/
so, this is still an issue for you, then? I will try to verify with the beppe grillo blog...

Changed in liferea (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Low
Dimitrios Symeonidis (azimout) wrote :

marco, I have checked in Jaunty (liferea 1.4.26) and was unable to reproduce this issue.
can you confirm this?

Changed in liferea (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
fluo★ (matt.) wrote :

I also have this problem, among others, on a fresh install (Jaunty), fresh home and fresh feeds.
     - some news are re-marked as unread after an update.
     - some feeds/news demand a lot of ressources to be shown. This doesn't seem to be related to flash or java, since they are not activated here.
     - the "unread" folder (at the bottom) wrongly states that there are some news left to read while they are all marked as read.

Dimitrios Symeonidis (azimout) wrote :

matt, the resource hog issue has been reported.
on the re-marking as unread, can you give me an example feed to test?
thank you

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort (pochu) wrote :

Dimitrios Symeonidis wrote:
> on the re-marking as unread, can you give me an example feed to test?

I think people are confusing the 'bold -> item has been updated' with the 'bold
-> is unread' thing. They are different and have different icons, but are both
somewhat bold and thus difficult to differentiate. That's the reason why the
'bold -> is updated' has been removed (and you can't reproduce in Jaunty).

fluo★ (matt.) wrote :

Dimitrios:
A feed that keep switching the read/unread thingy: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/ffffound/everyone

Emilio:
I see your point but the news I'm talking about keep coming back bold and with an icon (a little newspaper), and can be seen in the "unread" folder. I created an "updated" search folder just to be sure, and this one is always empty.

Dimitrios Symeonidis (azimout) wrote :

(sorry for the late response, it's been greek orthodox easter this weekend)
can't reproduce this behaviour with http://feeds2.feedburner.com/ffffound/everyone either (in jaunty)
setting back to new, for now...
can you guys try and give us any other hint as to why this problem appears on your machines but not on ours?
thanks

Changed in liferea (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → New
fluo★ (matt.) wrote :

Well It happends here on a fresh and up-to-date Ubuntu (gnome) JJaunty 64bits edition, on a Zepto 3215W (Intel GM965, Core2duo@1.66MHz) and Liferea 1.4.26 . I haven't imported the database and the feedlist, I added the feeds from scratch (see the attached feedlist)

The behaviour is quiet random, but I noticed it happens often when a new item appears in a feed, yet not always. Really I don't see any logical behaviour in it.

I've used liferea with different distro and I've had the same bug with ubuntu (and debian but that's to be confirmed by someone else) yet not with archlinux.

I don't know what more I can tell.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in liferea (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers