Selected Hebrew font does not persist as I start typing

Bug #990181 reported by tangerine on 2012-04-27

This bug report will be marked for expiration in 18 days if no further activity occurs. (find out why)

18
This bug affects 4 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
libreoffice (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

The symptoms are:

* Before I start typing in Hebrew, I can normally select a desired font from the Font Name box. For example, I select the David CLM font, which is Hebrew specific, as far as I understand. But as soon as I start typing in Hebrew, the font gets switched to another one - Lohit Hindi for no obvious reason.
* If I want to have the font setting persist, I need to first type something with this wrong font, and then change the font to the desired one. After doing it this way, the selected font will persist and I can continue to type with the right one.
* However, if some time later I decide to change the font again (say, to the Aharoni CLM), I cannot do it in the beginning of a paragraph, otherwise it will switch back again - to the David CLM font.
* When I'm typing in Hewbrew, the language indicator on the status row (to the left of the INSRT indicator) shows Hindi.
* Every time I start a new paragraph, I can see the language switch to English (USA). As soon as I start typing, it switches back to Hindi.
* The problem appears only when trying to type in Hebrew, it's totally fine in Russian and in English.

I did configure the system to support Hebrew and RTL input, by going to System Settings -> Language Support and installing Hebrew. Also there was some option to specifically install RTL support, which I enabled, too. I updated the system after that. And also restarted it multiple times. There are some specific Hebrew fonts which were automatically installed during the installation process in the Language Support.

A friend of mine who is still using OpenOffice on a previous version of Ubuntu, doesn't have this bug.

I couldn't find any similar reports from other users, however I found this post on the developers mailing list which seems to be connected to this issue, though I did not manage to figure how:
http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/bug-622301-libreoffice-l10n-he-updated-settings-hebrew-help-202903412.html

P.s. my current system: Ubuntu 12.04, 64 bit on VirtualBox host. The rest of the essential info should be delivered through Apport.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
Package: libreoffice-core 1:3.5.2-2ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-23.36-generic 3.2.14
Uname: Linux 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu5
Architecture: amd64
Date: Sat Apr 28 01:09:54 2012
ExecutablePath: /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64 (20120425)
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: libreoffice
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
XsessionErrors: (compiz:1523): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_client_add_dir: assertion `gconf_valid_key (dirname, NULL)' failed

tangerine (2wtangerine) wrote :
description: updated
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in libreoffice (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed

This release of Ubuntu is no longer receiving maintenance updates. If this is still an issue on a maintained version of Ubuntu please let us know.

Changed in libreoffice (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers