Japanese characters on selected tabs not shown with "Screen font antialiasing" on

Bug #773034 reported by Nobuto Murata on 2011-04-29
10
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
LibreOffice
Fix Released
Undecided
Unassigned
libreoffice (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: libreoffice

In style editing window on Writer, Calc, and Impress or sheet tabs on Calc, the selected tab cannot show Japanese characters.

4th tab from the left has no title.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/773034/+attachment/2095085/+files/tab_title.png

2nd tab from the left has the name "データ2", but only "2" is shown.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/773034/+attachment/2095087/+files/calc_sheet_tab.png

WORKAROUND:
Open [Tools]-[Options], then turn off "Screen font antialiasing" on [LibreOffice]-[View].
("Screen font antialiasing" is on by default")

In maverick system, `metacity --replace` is workaround too. But in natty system `metacity --replace` does not take effect.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
Package: libreoffice-common 1:3.3.2-1ubuntu4
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic i686
Architecture: i386
Date: Fri Apr 29 08:08:37 2011
LiveMediaBuild: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release i386 (20110427.1)
PackageArchitecture: all
ProcEnviron:
 LANGUAGE=ja_JP:en
 LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: libreoffice
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)

Nobuto Murata (nobuto) wrote :
summary: CJK characters on selected tabs not shown with "Screen font
- antialiasing"
+ antialiasing" on
Nobuto Murata (nobuto) on 2011-04-29
description: updated
Nobuto Murata (nobuto) on 2011-04-29
summary: - CJK characters on selected tabs not shown with "Screen font
+ Japanese characters on selected tabs not shown with "Screen font
antialiasing" on
description: updated
Nobuto Murata (nobuto) wrote :

In Korean(ko) locale, without 69-language-selector-ko-kr.conf, Korean characters on selected tabs are not shown. But it has been no problem after `fontconfig-voodoo -s ko_KR`. This issue might be related to fontconfig settings.

Fumihito YOSHIDA (hito) wrote :

I can confirm with Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Hangeul and Japanese. Test strings is "Computer". I attached test file.

Fumihito YOSHIDA (hito) wrote :

And, test results is attached.

Rolf Leggewie (r0lf) wrote :

FWIW, I cannot reproduce this in lucid with 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4.2. Then again, I don't see that screen font antialiasing option, either.

Rolf Leggewie (r0lf) wrote :

Oh, I found that anti-aliasing option now, was looking under fonts. The wording is a bit different but all the antialiasing options are activated.

So, this is a regression from lucid.

tags: added: maverick regression-release
Rolf Leggewie (r0lf) wrote :

confirming as per comment from Yoshida-San. Thank you. Salamat. ありがとうございます。

Changed in libreoffice (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Confirmed
Fumihito YOSHIDA (hito) wrote :

In my quick analysis,

 * If you erase /etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf , problem goes away.
   * 90-synthetic.conf provides "bold" settings for Xft applications (including LibO).
   * If you comment-out below, problem goes away. But "selected" hi-light will be shown at regular, not bold.
-----------------------------------------------------
                <!--
                 set weight to bold
                 needed for applications using Xft directly, e.g. Firefox, ...
                -->
                <edit name="weight" mode="assign">
                        <const>bold</const>
                </edit>
-----------------------------------------------------

However, firefox's bold are not problematic. So, this problem is not only fonfconfig settings.

Root problem(s) are LibO's code(maybe).
But, be still in the dark, we can workaround this problem with fontconfig settings.

Nobuto Murata (nobuto) wrote :

I have installed LibreOffice 3.4 Beta 5 directly from upsteam.
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/pre-releases/
Then the problem has gone. Every tab shows Japanese characters properly.

Nobuto MURATA, marking Fixed Released for upstream task based on your comments this issue is fixed in LibreOffice 3.4.0 DEV300m103(Build:5).

Changed in df-libreoffice:
status: New → Fix Released
Nobuto Murata (nobuto) wrote :

I'm not sure when exactly this issue was fixed, but it cannot be reproducible on current Oneiric with LibreOffice 3.4.3-3ubuntu2. So I will close this bug.

Changed in libreoffice (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Invalid
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers