libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2 postinst fails: chown on non-existent directory /var/run/chipcard

Bug #283925 reported by LucianoBoschi
142
This bug affects 8 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
libchipcard (Debian)
Fix Released
Undecided
Unassigned
libchipcard (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned

Bug Description

Description: Ubuntu intrepid (development branch)
Release: 8.10

libchipcard-tools:
  Installato: 4.1.3-2

I upgraded the distro from gutsy to intrepid but I had a problem: the computer completely freezed during the installation of some package. The next boot I had to make dpkg --configure -a , but dbus had some problem adding its user , and fwcutter and libchipcard didn't configure because internet connection was down.
During the first good restart, I reinstalled dbus & co using synaptic; those packages reinstalled themselves succesfully, but fwcutter and libchipcard needed to configure themselves: fwcutter went ok but libchipcard didn't.

ProblemType: Package
Architecture: i386
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.10
ErrorMessage: il sottoprocesso post-installation script ha restituito un codice di errore 1
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
Package: libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2
SourcePackage: libchipcard
Title: package libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2 failed to install/upgrade: il sottoprocesso post-installation script ha restituito un codice di errore 1
Uname: Linux 2.6.27-7-generic i686

Revision history for this message
LucianoBoschi (caladyon-email) wrote :
Revision history for this message
James Westby (james-w) wrote :

Configuro libchipcard-tools (4.1.3-2) ...

chown: impossibile accedere a `/var/run/chipcard': Nessun file o directory

dpkg: errore processando libchipcard-tools (--configure):

 il sottoprocesso post-installation script ha restituito un codice di errore 1

Revision history for this message
James Westby (james-w) wrote :

Hi,

The package should leave the setting up of /var/run to the init script.

Thanks,

James

Changed in libchipcard:
importance: Undecided → Medium
status: New → Triaged
Revision history for this message
jeromek (jerome-kelleher) wrote :

I had a similar experience with the upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10. During the upgrade the screen froze and I was forced to power down. After booting again I was able to do a dpkg --configure -a which completed the upgrade process. Rebooting again brought everything up successfully, until tried an apt-get upgrade, which provoked this error:

Setting up libchipcard-tools (4.1.3-2) ...
chown: cannot access `/var/run/chipcard': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing libchipcard-tools (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 libchipcard-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Running mkdir /var/run/chipcard seemed to sort it out.

Revision history for this message
LucianoBoschi (caladyon-email) wrote : Re: [Bug 283925] Re: package libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2 failed to configure: il sottoprocesso post-installation script ha restituito un codice di errore 1

2008/11/2 jeromek <email address hidden>

>
> Running mkdir /var/run/chipcard seemed to sort it out.
>
>
Thanks, same here:

$ sudo mkdir /var/run/chipcard
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
Configuro libchipcard-tools (4.1.3-2) ...
Starting libchipcard daemon: chipcardd4.

$ ll /var/run/chipcard -d
drwxr-xr-x 2 chipcard root 80 2008-11-03 23:06 /var/run/chipcard/
$ ll /var/run/chipcard
totale 4
srw-rw-rw- 1 chipcard chipcard 0 2008-11-03 23:06 chipcard.comm=
-rw-r--r-- 1 chipcard chipcard 5 2008-11-03 23:06 chipcardd4.pid

It seems that libchipcard-tools set the owner and permission of the new
directory.

Luciano

Revision history for this message
VilasBoas (vilasboas-helder) wrote :

Boas Luciano

Agradeço a partilha da solução mas será que conseguias fazer um tutorial
para novatos tipo passo a passo?

Sei que é chato mas tentei seguir as tuas instruções e não deu certo :(

Será que e podes ajudar??

Obrigado

VilasBoas

2008/11/3 LucianoBoschi <email address hidden>

> 2008/11/2 jeromek <email address hidden>
>
> >
> > Running mkdir /var/run/chipcard seemed to sort it out.
> >
> >
> Thanks, same here:
>
> $ sudo mkdir /var/run/chipcard
> $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
> Configuro libchipcard-tools (4.1.3-2) ...
> Starting libchipcard daemon: chipcardd4.
>
> $ ll /var/run/chipcard -d
> drwxr-xr-x 2 chipcard root 80 2008-11-03 23:06 /var/run/chipcard/
> $ ll /var/run/chipcard
> totale 4
> srw-rw-rw- 1 chipcard chipcard 0 2008-11-03 23:06 chipcard.comm=
> -rw-r--r-- 1 chipcard chipcard 5 2008-11-03 23:06 chipcardd4.pid
>
> It seems that libchipcard-tools set the owner and permission of the new
> directory.
>
> Luciano
>
> --
> package libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2 failed to configure: il sottoprocesso
> post-installation script ha restituito un codice di errore 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/283925
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug.
>
> Status in "libchipcard" source package in Ubuntu: Triaged
> Status in "libchipcard" source package in Debian: New
>
> Bug description:
> Description: Ubuntu intrepid (development branch)
> Release: 8.10
>
> libchipcard-tools:
> Installato: 4.1.3-2
>
> I upgraded the distro from gutsy to intrepid but I had a problem: the
> computer completely freezed during the installation of some package. The
> next boot I had to make dpkg --configure -a , but dbus had some problem
> adding its user , and fwcutter and libchipcard didn't configure because
> internet connection was down.
> During the first good restart, I reinstalled dbus & co using synaptic;
> those packages reinstalled themselves succesfully, but fwcutter and
> libchipcard needed to configure themselves: fwcutter went ok but libchipcard
> didn't.
>
> ProblemType: Package
> Architecture: i386
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.10
> ErrorMessage: il sottoprocesso post-installation script ha restituito un
> codice di errore 1
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> Package: libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2
> SourcePackage: libchipcard
> Title: package libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2 failed to install/upgrade: il
> sottoprocesso post-installation script ha restituito un codice di errore 1
> Uname: Linux 2.6.27-7-generic i686
>

Revision history for this message
Adrián (adrian-luduenia) wrote : error de destino
Download full text (4.5 KiB)

Hola VilasBoas !

Este mensaje fue enviado por error a mi direccion de mail.

saludos!

(disculpas, no hablo portugues)

----- Mensaje original ----

De: VilasBoas <email address hidden>
Para: <email address hidden>
Enviado: martes, 4 de noviembre, 2008 20:00:26
Asunto: Re: [Bug 283925] Re: package libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2 failed to configure: il sottoprocesso post-installation script ha restituito un codice di errore 1

Boas Luciano

Agradeço a partilha da solução mas será que conseguias fazer um tutorial
para novatos tipo passo a passo?

Sei que é chato mas tentei seguir as tuas instruções e não deu certo :(

Será que e podes ajudar??

Obrigado

VilasBoas

2008/11/3 LucianoBoschi <email address hidden>

> 2008/11/2 jeromek <email address hidden>
>
> >
> > Running mkdir /var/run/chipcard seemed to sort it out.
> >
> >
> Thanks, same here:
>
> $ sudo mkdir /var/run/chipcard
> $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
> Configuro libchipcard-tools (4.1.3-2) ...
> Starting libchipcard daemon: chipcardd4.
>
> $ ll /var/run/chipcard -d
> drwxr-xr-x 2 chipcard root 80 2008-11-03 23:06 /var/run/chipcard/
> $ ll /var/run/chipcard
> totale 4
> srw-rw-rw- 1 chipcard chipcard 0 2008-11-03 23:06 chipcard.comm=
> -rw-r--r-- 1 chipcard chipcard 5 2008-11-03 23:06 chipcardd4.pid
>
> It seems that libchipcard-tools set the owner and permission of the new
> directory.
>
> Luciano
>
> --
> package libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2 failed to configure: il sottoprocesso
> post-installation script ha restituito un codice di errore 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/283925
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug.
>
> Status in "libchipcard" source package in Ubuntu: Triaged
> Status in "libchipcard" source package in Debian: New
>
> Bug description:
> Description: Ubuntu intrepid (development branch)
> Release: 8.10
>
> libchipcard-tools:
> Installato: 4.1.3-2
>
> I upgraded the distro from gutsy to intrepid but I had a problem: the
> computer completely freezed during the installation of some package. The
> next boot I had to make dpkg --configure -a , but dbus had some problem
> adding its user , and fwcutter and libchipcard didn't configure because
> internet connection was down.
> During the first good restart, I reinstalled dbus & co using synaptic;
> those packages reinstalled themselves succesfully, but fwcutter and
> libchipcard needed to configure themselves: fwcutter went ok but libchipcard
> didn't.
>
> ProblemType: Package
> Architecture: i386
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 8.10
> ErrorMessage: il sottoprocesso post-installation script ha restituito un
> codice di errore 1
> NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
> Package: libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2
> SourcePackage: libchipcard
> Title: package libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2 failed to install/upgrade: il
> sottoprocesso post-installation script ha restituito un codice di errore 1
> Uname: Linux 2.6.27-7-generic i686
>

--
package libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2 failed to configure: il sottoprocesso post-installation script ha restituito un codice di errore 1
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/283925
You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
of t...

Read more...

Revision history for this message
Micha Lenk (micha) wrote : Re: package libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2 failed to configure: il sottoprocesso post-installation script ha restituito un codice di errore 1

this is a known bug of libgwenhywfar.

Changed in libchipcard:
importance: Undecided → Unknown
status: New → Unknown
Revision history for this message
Micha Lenk (micha) wrote :

sorry, wrong catch. Will fix the problem in Debian with appropriate debian/changelog entry soon (4.2.4-2 or later)

Changed in libchipcard:
importance: Unknown → Undecided
status: Unknown → New
Revision history for this message
Micha Lenk (micha) wrote :

I've submitted a fix to the packaging repository of the Debian package. The fix will soon be available in Debian with the release of libchipcard-tools 4.2.4-2.

Changed in libchipcard:
assignee: nobody → mlenk
status: New → Fix Committed
Revision history for this message
Micha Lenk (micha) wrote :

From Debian's debian/changelog:

libchipcard (4.2.4-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * Upload to Debian unstable (closes: #496939).
  * Fire udev rules on SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device" events
    instead on SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device" events, which does not work on some
    systems (closes: #509251).
  * chown directory /var/run/chipcard to user chipcard in initscript only
    and not in libchipcard-tools.postinst script any more as suggested by
    James Westby in Ubuntu's Launchpad (LP: #283925).
  * debian/libchipcard-tools.dirs: don't list /var/run/chipcard, which is
    created by the init script now (thanks to lintian for the hint).
  * debian/control:
    + package is compliant with standards version 3.8.1 now
    + fix lintian warnings about missing ${misc:Depends}.
    + add build-dependency on dpatch
  * Add patch 10_halscanner_bugfix enabling the HAL scanner to recognize
    PCMCIA chipcard readers.
  * Adopt some changes from 4.1.3-2ubuntu1 (thanks to Scott James Remnant):
    + debian/rules: Generate udev rules to a file debhelper can pick up.
    + debian/libchipcard-tools.dirs: No need to create udev directories
    + debian/libchipcard-tools.preinst: Remove the symlink on upgrade,
      remove old rules files unless changed in which case rename it
    + debian/libchipcard-tools.postinst: Don't create symlink anymore.
      This is done by dh_installudev-generated code now (if necessary)
    + debian/libchipcard-tools.postrm: No need to remove symlink.
    Ubuntu's "Breaks: udev (<< 136-1)" is not needed because on Debian
    systems udev rules files still live in /etc/udev/.
  * debian/libchipcard-tools.postinst: Remove general comments
    (originally generated by dh_make?)
  * debian/rules:
    + remove generated file debian/libchipcard-tools.udev in clean target
    + make additional deletions in clean target verbose.
  * Add symbols files for new dpkg-shlibdeps feature.
  * debian/copyright:
    + point to versioned license files in /usr/share/common-licenses/
      (thanks to lintian for the hint). The packaging is now licensed
      under GPL version 2.
    + add missing copyrighted years up to 2009

 -- Micha Lenk <email address hidden> Tue, 17 Mar 2009 22:17:06 +0100

Changed in libchipcard (Debian):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Micha Lenk (micha)
Changed in libchipcard (Debian):
assignee: mlenk → nobody
Revision history for this message
Myriam Schweingruber (myriam) wrote :

This bug is still present in Jaunty unfortunately.

Revision history for this message
jjgerbaud@gmail.com (jjgerbaud) wrote :

voici ce que j'obtiens après un freeze total de ma machine lors du "upgrade" de kubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 :

[sudo] password for viejo2:
/usr/bin/deborphan: Le fichier statut est dans un état impropre.
Un ou plusieurs paquets sont marqués half-installed, half-configured,
unpacked, triggers-awaited ou triggers-pending. Fin du programme.

Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :
Download full text (6.7 KiB)

This bug was fixed in the package libchipcard - 4.2.8-1ubuntu1

---------------
libchipcard (4.2.8-1ubuntu1) karmic; urgency=low

  * Merge from debian unstable, remaining changes:
    - Bump build-depend on debhelper to install udev rules into
      /lib/udev/rules.d, add Breaks on udev to get correct version.
    - On upgrade from old version and with modified rules file rename old
      udev rules file to /etc/udev/rules.d/40_libchipcard-tools.rules
      (instead to /etc/udev/rules.d/z60_libchipcard-tools.rules).
      This is needed due to the patch to Ubuntu's dh_installudev in
      debhelper 7.0.17ubuntu2.

libchipcard (4.2.8-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * New upstream release
    + drop patch 20_gemexpress (included upstream)
    + drop patch 40_scanner_init_improved_error_handling (included upstream)
  * No patches left, so drop dpatch from build-depends and debian/rules.

libchipcard (4.2.7-4) unstable; urgency=low

  * Fix formatting of libchipcard-tools.NEWS file (thanks to lintian).

libchipcard (4.2.7-3) unstable; urgency=low

  * libchipcard-tools: Run init script in boot sequence AFTER hal has been
    started or BEFORE hal has been stopped and fix boot sequence in postinst
    script (untouched configurations only).

libchipcard (4.2.7-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * debian/libchipcard-tools.init: Include file /etc/defaults/libchipcard-tools
    if it exists.
  * Add patch 40_scanner_init_improved_error_handling for propper handling of
    device scanners failing to initialize (closes: #524320).
  * debian/control:
    + minor improvement of the long package description for libchipcard-ctapi0
    + let libchipcard-tools recommend hal (needed by the daemon for automatic
      device detection).

libchipcard (4.2.7-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * New upstream release
    + fixes memory leaks in HAL scanner code (closes: #522885).
    + drops shared library libchipcardd.so.
  * debian/control:
    + drop binary package libchipcardd0
    + split dependencies into multiple lines.
    + add Conflicts/Replaces for removal of now obsolete package libchipcardd0
      on upgrade to current package libchipcard-tools.
  * debian/rules: Drop snippets for package libchipcardd0.
  * drop files debian/libchipcardd0.README.Debian (completely out of date)
    and debian/libchipcardd0.* (now obsolete).
  * now install README.Debian in package libchipcard-tools, the home of the
    daemon binary chipcardd4, the README talks about.

libchipcard (4.2.5-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * New upstream release
    + drop patch 10_halscanner_bugfix (included upstream)
    + modify patch 20_gemexpress to not patch ccid_ifd.xml any more
      (this hunk is included upstream)

libchipcard (4.2.4-3) unstable; urgency=low

  * libchipcard-tools: Suggest installation of packages libtowitoko2 and
    libccid (closes: #520418).
  * Add man pages for chipcard-tool and kvkcard written by Karsten Hilbert
    (closes: #508084). Thanks a lot, Karsten, for your contributions.
  * Add patch 20_gemexpress for improved libccid driver handling
    (closes: #520283). This makes GemPC Express readers work.
    Thanks to Joachim Breitner for contributing the patch.

libchipcard (4...

Read more...

Changed in libchipcard (Ubuntu):
status: Triaged → Fix Released
Micha Lenk (micha)
summary: - package libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2 failed to configure: il sottoprocesso
- post-installation script ha restituito un codice di errore 1
+ libchipcard-tools 4.1.3-2 postinst fails: chown on non-existent
+ directory /var/run/chipcard
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.