We want to release landscape-client 12.04 into precise. The main reasons are:
* it now uses apt/dpkg to install packages instead of smartpm
* it has a GTK UI interface to configure the client (NEW package landscape-
* the landscape-client package is installed on demand if needed when the user clicks on the gnome control center icon (NEW package landscape-
* Add support for the new attachment service in script execution, which lightens the load on landscape.
Attached to this bug is a bzr branch against ubuntu:
This client was tested as if we were doing an SRU. And we will, once this gets into precise.
These were the tests done:
ClientSRU tests status:
- Install with landscape/apt-get (pass)
- Purge test (pass)
- Reinstall client (pass)
- sysinfo integration (pass)
- Distro upgrade
- Via landscape (pass)
- Via do-release-upgrade - Package removed due to disabling external repos, but working after reinstall (pass)
- Talking to old landscape server - tested against hosted (pass)
- install the new landscape-client package in a running LDS server (pass)
- upgrade within precise (package N to N+1)
Also, this client has been constantly running on our linode machines: maverick, natty, oneiric and precise (only precise relevant for this ticket).