REGRESSION: spellcheck does not work in PLASMA 5 applications

Bug #1478405 reported by Sergio Callegari
24
This bug affects 5 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
kubuntu-meta (Ubuntu)
Undecided
Unassigned

Bug Description

The problem is with all qt5 apps in KDE plasma 5, like 'kate'.

Running apps from the console and trying to activate spell check of on-line spell check results in no spell check being activated and a message on the console saying

No language dictionaries for the language: "en"

This also happens in Fedora. See https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/69449/spell-checking-doesnt-work-in-fedora-kde-22-plasma5/

Revision history for this message
Ubuntu Foundations Team Bug Bot (crichton) wrote :

Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. It seems that your bug report is not filed about a specific source package though, rather it is just filed against Ubuntu in general. It is important that bug reports be filed about source packages so that people interested in the package can find the bugs about it. You can find some hints about determining what package your bug might be about at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage. You might also ask for help in the #ubuntu-bugs irc channel on Freenode.

To change the source package that this bug is filed about visit https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1478405/+editstatus and add the package name in the text box next to the word Package.

[This is an automated message. I apologize if it reached you inappropriately; please just reply to this message indicating so.]

tags: added: bot-comment
affects: ubuntu → kubuntu-meta (Ubuntu)
Revision history for this message
Sergio Callegari (callegar) wrote :

Can this be an issue with paths as for Fedora?

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/kf5-sonnet-5.10.0-3.fc22

Revision history for this message
Sergio Callegari (callegar) wrote :

Bug is still present after update to KDE Framework 5.12 via kubuntu ppa

Revision history for this message
Sergio Callegari (callegar) wrote :

Finally I have some insight.

Bug is due to the fact that KDE messes the languages/dictionary names. When the English US dictionary is selected, KDE asks for the "en" dictionary that is not existent. The "en_US" dictionary exists.

I noticed this by trying to enable the English GB dictionary from the regional settings -> spell check. This one works as KDE correctly instantiates the "en_gb" dictionary.

Incidentally, the regional settings -> spell check configuration in plasma 5 is a complete mess.

In my "Default Language" dropdown, i see:

- American English (United States) - which incorrectly picks "en" instead of "en_us" for the dictionaries]
- American English (United States) [GB] - this works but selects the GB dictionary. How can this be American English?
- UK English (United Kingdom)
- hyph_cs_CZ - why are hyphenation dicts shown here?
- hyph_da_DK
- tons of other entries like the two above
- Italiano (Italia)
- Italiano (Italia) [IT] - why is the italiano (italia) entry doubled with and without the IT?

The list of dictionaries provided in Kate is exactly messed in the same way, but for the fact that American English (United States) is missing. But this does not really matter, since selecting the dictionary from within kate does not work anyway.

Revision history for this message
Sergio Callegari (callegar) wrote :

More news.

Plasma 5 seems to use hunspell library for spellcheck, but does not look for hunspell dictionaries...
Removing hunspell dictionaries and installing myspell dictionaries improves the situation

The regional settings -> spell check configuration in plasma 5 is still a mess, because it lists hyphenation dictionaries ad gets insane or repeated entries.

However now I have a working 'American English (United States) [US]' entry at last.

This goes side to side with a non working

American English (United States) which picks "en" instead of "en_US" as a language selector for hunspell and fails

and a nonsensical (but working)

American English (United States) [GB] if it is GB, it is not American English United States, is it?

Revision history for this message
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

Changed in kubuntu-meta (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Revision history for this message
molecule-eye (niburu1) wrote :

Thanks a lot Sergio. As a workaround, I simply removed the hunspell package and installed myspell-en-us. I was then able to select "American English (United States) [US]" in the Spell Check settings. When I reopened Kate, spell checking worked (though I confirmed that it was using the right dictionary in the settings).

Revision history for this message
Sergio Callegari (callegar) wrote :

Bug still present in Kubuntu 15.10. And worse, since I do not seem to workaround the issue in any way now.

Revision history for this message
Sergio Callegari (callegar) wrote :

OK, worked around again. Look s like KDE framework sees two different "English American languages". One is "American English" and the other one is "American English [US]", that makes apps look for en-US, instead of en_US

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers