Transition from 8.04 to 10.10 causes loss of contacts

Bug #709416 reported by John Spagnola on 2011-01-28
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
kdepim (Ubuntu)

Bug Description

Binary package hint: kdepim

Transition from 8.04 to 10.10 causes loss of contacts

kmail - transition from 8.04 to 10.10 caused kmail to be undertaken by akonadi (moving contacts to a database instead of a flat file) and nepomuk (converting/making changes) which were not able to convert contact information properly. The result is that kaddressbook and kontact now look for a database, and could not show contact information. Kmail which is still looking at contacts contained within vcf files was the only want to see the contacts (although it does not allow to export them). Have now moved contacts to thunderbird which is somewhat better. Lists had to be recreated manually in Thunderbird. See screenshots as well as reports/logs for details.

I could confirm the following community member statements.
-"after a few seconds I get an error popup: Akonadi Server Self-Test - Kmail and it fails"
-"I dropped the database and akonadi rebuilt it. Works fine now."
-"I used phpmyadmin, root login and did a 'drop database' on akonadi."
-"it's not something that can be easily explained"
-"the authors of akonadi ever planed for manual intervention like I did"
-"most of my contacts in it appear empty (yes, empty lines)"
-"the "Save as list" button in kmail doesn't actually save the list -- it doesn't show up in Kontacts at all"
-"All my groups disappear from the address book. This was also happening under KDE 4.4 and 4.5. Akonadi/Nepomuk drives me crazy!!!"
-"I did the full monty and blew away the .kde folder in home to start from scratch."

You should not have end users using phpmyadmin to drop database so that kmail, kontact and kaddressbook work properly. You should not have to start from scratch simply because a new version of the software has been released. Quality of kdepim recently is lower than beta and cannot be seen as stable software. It seems the the kdepim stack was not even QA'd properly.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
Package: kdepim 4:4.4.6-0ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-25.44-generic-pae
Uname: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic-pae i686
Architecture: i386
Date: Fri Jan 28 13:49:15 2011
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release i386 (20101007)
PackageArchitecture: all
SourcePackage: kdepim

John Spagnola (spag) wrote :
komputes (komputes) on 2011-01-28
description: updated
komputes (komputes) wrote :
komputes (komputes) wrote :
komputes (komputes) wrote :
komputes (komputes) wrote :
komputes (komputes) wrote :
komputes (komputes) wrote :
komputes (komputes) wrote :
gf (gf-interlinks) wrote :

Hello John,
Thank you for submitting this bug and reporting a problem with Thunderbird.

You made this bug report in 2011 and there have been several versions of Ubuntu and Thunderbird since then.

Could you confirm that this is no longer a problem and that we can close the ticket?
Or, if it is still a problem, could you run the following (only once):
apport-collect 709416

and upload the updated logs and and any other logs that are relevant for this particular issue.

Thank you again for helping make Ubuntu and Thunderbird better.


Changed in kdepim (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
gf (gf-interlinks) wrote :

Sorry, John, I meant ...problem with kdepim and address contact list.

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

[Expired for kdepim (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60 days.]

Changed in kdepim (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Expired
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers