Output of Print to PDF from KDE apps has "dancing" characters

Bug #41662 reported by Stephan Gromer on 2006-04-26
16
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
KDE Base
Unknown
Medium
kdebase (Suse)
Invalid
Medium
kdebase (Ubuntu)
Medium
Unassigned
Declined for Gutsy by Henrik Nilsen Omma

Bug Description

System used: Dapper Drake as of april 26th
I use Konqueror for browsing and I often need to print pages as PDF-files for documentation.
However, the output created by kdeprint (well at least I guess that it is actually kdeprint that is responsible after all. Please forward to the actual package if I was wrong) is poor: Characters are "dancing" significantly and some graphics are destroyed. This is also the case when I print directly to my printer. When I print a PS-file and convert it via ps2pdf the graphics are better retained but the characters are still wired.
Interestingly, when I print a webpage within Firefox as a PS (no PDF available) (but also with direct print) and convert this file to a PDF (ps2pdf) I do NOT see this.
I tried this also with SuSE 10.0 and several Debian installs - It's the same everywhere, so presumably an upstream problem
I try to attached a PNG-file that shows the different results with a print from the Ubuntu-Page. You see the program used in the tite. The file created within Konqueror with a direct PDF-creation is also attached.

Thank you for listening and caring!

The file shows the output I got by printing PS or PDF files either with Firefox or Konqueror.
The PS files were converted to PDFs via ps2pdf. The direct PDF-output in Konqui is a separate file

This is part of the Ubunti-page printed within Konqui as a PDF. Note the crippled logo (Page 2) and the "dancing" chars.

description: updated

Hmm the baseline of many of the lines in the attached PDFs certainly isn't even (as viewed in evince or acroread). In fact while scrolling acroread complains about a "drawing error".

Yuriy Kozlov (yuriy-kozlov) wrote :

I've run into this problem several times, and it still happens on Feisty.

Changed in kdebase:
status: Unconfirmed → Confirmed
Stephan Gromer (stephan-gromer) wrote :

This is still an issue in Feisty's final version. Any progress on that issue? It is very annoying to start firefox for each PDF-Printout of pages I want to save for later reference.
Actually the "normal" dead tree version isn't looking any better.

Yuriy Kozlov (yuriy-kozlov) wrote :

Just ran into this again printing to PDF from KWord. Print to file (postscript) works fine.

Ralph Janke (txwikinger) on 2008-02-29
Changed in kdebase:
status: New → Unknown
Changed in kdebase:
status: Unknown → New
Changed in kdebase:
status: Unknown → In Progress
Daniel T Chen (crimsun) wrote :

Is this symptom reproducible in 8.10 alpha?

Changed in kdebase:
status: Confirmed → Incomplete

With 8.04, I have the same problem -- misplaced characters in printouts and print preview -- as above; at least with all browsers I tried (firefox, epiphany, most recent opera). Please see attached screenshot.

Jonathan Thomas (echidnaman) wrote :

We are closing this bug report because it lacks the information we need to investigate the problem, as described in the previous comments. Please reopen it if you can give us the missing information, and don't hesitate to submit bug reports in the future. To reopen the bug report you can click on the current status, under the Status column, and change the Status back to "New". Thanks again!

Changed in kdebase:
status: Incomplete → Invalid
Changed in kdebase:
status: In Progress → Invalid
Changed in kdebase:
importance: Unknown → Medium
Changed in kdebase:
status: New → Unknown
Changed in kdebase (Suse):
importance: Unknown → Medium
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.