klauncher crashed with SIGSEGV in __kernel_vsyscall()

Bug #141418 reported by Cord Rexford on 2007-09-21
984
This bug affects 3 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
kdelibs
Fix Released
Medium
kde4libs (Ubuntu)
Medium
Richard Johnson

Bug Description

Binary package hint: kde4libs

This bug occurred while updating my system on 09/20/07.

ProblemType: Crash
Architecture: i386
Date: Thu Sep 20 20:51:43 2007
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 7.10
ExecutablePath: /usr/lib/kde4/lib/kde4/libexec/klauncher
NonfreeKernelModules: ath_hal
Package: kdelibs5 3.93.0-0ubuntu1
PackageArchitecture: i386
ProcCmdline: klauncher
ProcCwd: /home/fizgigg
ProcEnviron:
 SHELL=/bin/bash
 PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/bin:/usr/lib/kde4/bin/:/home/fizgigg/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
Signal: 11
SourcePackage: kde4libs
StacktraceTop:
 __kernel_vsyscall ()
 poll () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
 ?? () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
 ?? ()
 ?? ()
Title: klauncher crashed with SIGSEGV in __kernel_vsyscall()
Uname: Linux fizgigg-laptop 2.6.22-11-generic #1 SMP Mon Sep 17 03:45:58 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
UserGroups: adm admin audio cdrom dialout dip floppy lpadmin netdev plugdev powerdev scanner video

Related branches

Cord Rexford (cord-rexford) wrote :

StacktraceTop:__kernel_vsyscall ()
poll () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
g_main_context_iterate (context=0x805a8d0, block=1, dispatch=1, self=0x8058288)
IA__g_main_context_iteration (context=0x805a8d0, may_block=1)
QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4

Changed in kde4libs:
importance: Undecided → Medium
Ben Webb (bjwebb67-googlemail) wrote :

I get this problem too.

berg (berg-foss) wrote :

 I have a apport report of this yet in ke4 finaol version

linuxatico88 (simo88-47) wrote :

me too, i had this problem just after the install of kde4...all went in crash, i restarted the X session and it last < 10 seconds..

berg (berg-foss) wrote :

I think that Xsession terminated before 10 seconds is other problem.

Here , gdm start normally and I can use the desktop. the only problem is that something at undergroud was crashed.

I was thinking and I see ,maybe, the origin the bug is that klauncher dont work well with applications removed. In my case , there is one icon at autostarter for ktorrent, and to make a "flesh" install of kde4 I removed all old kde and the ktorrent as depedend was removed too.

then I think that klauncher was not able survivor to "command not found"

andrea92sr (andrea261192) wrote :

I have this bug too

Have this bug too with 8.04.
KDE crashes just after the splash has displayed the icons.

In my case crash only on logout, but exit to login window function properly.

Jesse Burt (avsa242) wrote :

I have this bug as well, as described by Martin Gustafsson.

linuxatico88 (simo88-47) wrote :

i get this bug just a few seconds ago, after upgrading from today 13:00... the upgrade consisted in some kde's appz... i'm not able to find the list because i did from terminal, and i don't know another way but synaptic to watch the list :(

hasan (hassanidin) wrote :

Klauncher crashes for me every time I log out of kde4.

Harald Sitter (apachelogger) wrote :

Someone please provide a current trace (ensure that -dbg packages are installed).

As for those with crash on login: this is an issue in xorg, which causes it to crash when KWin tries to query opengl/composite functionality.

Changed in kde4libs:
status: New → Incomplete
Guybrush88 (guybrush) wrote :

@hasan: i've got your same problem. i use ubuntu hardy i386

pnr (rusyaev-gmail) wrote :

I have the same problem on Hardy i386.

Kraemer (djkraemer) wrote :

I too can confirm this bug

Hi,
I get this error when logging out from a gnome session.

i get this error when I LOGIN to a gnome seesion.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 7:46 AM, Morten Birch-Jensen <
<email address hidden>> wrote:

> Hi,
> I get this error when logging out from a gnome session.
>
> --
> klauncher crashed with SIGSEGV in __kernel_vsyscall()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/141418
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in Source Package "kde4libs" in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: kde4libs
>
> This bug occurred while updating my system on 09/20/07.
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Thu Sep 20 20:51:43 2007
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 7.10
> ExecutablePath: /usr/lib/kde4/lib/kde4/libexec/klauncher
> NonfreeKernelModules: ath_hal
> Package: kdelibs5 3.93.0-0ubuntu1
> PackageArchitecture: i386
> ProcCmdline: klauncher
> ProcCwd: /home/fizgigg
> ProcEnviron:
> SHELL=/bin/bash
>
> PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/bin:/usr/lib/kde4/bin/:/home/fizgigg/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> Signal: 11
> SourcePackage: kde4libs
> StacktraceTop:
> __kernel_vsyscall ()
> poll () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
> ?? () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
> ?? ()
> ?? ()
> Title: klauncher crashed with SIGSEGV in __kernel_vsyscall()
> Uname: Linux fizgigg-laptop 2.6.22-11-generic #1 SMP Mon Sep 17 03:45:58
> GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
> UserGroups: adm admin audio cdrom dialout dip floppy lpadmin netdev
> plugdev powerdev scanner video
>

ramon25 (ramon25) wrote :

I get this error too when I login to a gnome session.

Amit (amitprobable) wrote :

I have the same problem on Hardy i386.

Panko (espindarga) wrote :

same problem, always reported by system when join a session with gonome.
System "says" that a minimum of 3 to 5 times each gnome session starts...

Richard Johnson (nixternal) wrote :

Confirming due to the multiple "me too"s in this report. Does this only happen when logging into Gnome after running a KDE 4 session or does it happen anytime you log into Gnome and have KDE 4 installed as well? I don't have this issue at all when switching between a KDE 4 and KDE 3 session.

Changed in kde4libs:
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
assignee: nobody → nixternal
Mårten Woxberg (maxmc) wrote :

I started to get this after I had logged into KDE4 once. Since I've keept it installed and logged in occasionally but it doesn't have to be running for me to get the error message upon startup directly from boot->gdm->gnome

Same problem here. It happens a lot, actually.
It always happens right after logging in gnome, I have kde4 installed
although I'm not running it.

virtualnite (virtualnite) wrote :

ditto verbatim to post above

Dmitry Korzhevin (korg) wrote :

I submit this problem on 8.04

yocmoi82 (yoann-berriet) wrote :

i confirme it

Richard Johnson (nixternal) wrote :

Adding a similar upstream report and requested information from the maintainer on this report. Thanks!

Changed in kdelibs:
status: Unknown → New
pikka68 (boffofamily) wrote :

i confirme it on 8.04
Thanks!

Shirish Agarwal (shirishag75) wrote :

same bug here.

Oleksij Rempel (olerem) wrote :

I can easily reproduce the "klauncher[4754]: segfault at b7f4b2e4 eip b738725e esp bfffcc00 error 7" issue on qemu/kvm with fresh install without gnome:
1. /opt/kvm/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net tap,ifname=tap0 -m 512 kubuntu.qcow2
2. after login klaunch and xorg will crash
3. workaround:
reduce screen resolution, so i edited "sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf" and set
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768"

Ubuntu with Gnome do not have this issue with biger resolution.

I had this problem after it, when I installed kshisen-kde4 by apt-get on KDE4-desktop. After installing I logged in Gnome. Before this I didn't have any errors.

gamer519 (khalim3) wrote :

installed KDE4 on Ubuntu Hardy.
after installing, used KDE4 successfully.
Shut down computer.
Next day, login in GNOME, and computer says taht Klauncher crashed

Starbetrayer (starbetrayer) wrote :

i confirm this one

Kraemer (djkraemer) wrote :

Confirmed here too.

zajca (zajcaa) wrote :

i confirm this

I have this problem too.

(Forgot to subscribe)

Daniel Hahler (blueyed) wrote :

It's confirmed already and forwarded upstream also, so please don't add any "me too"s.
You can subscribe from the "Actions" menu, without leaving a (rather meaningless) comment.
Thank you.

Changed in kde4libs:
status: Confirmed → Triaged
Scott Beamer (angrykeyboarder) wrote :

Why is launchpad not allowing me to sub to this bug report without leaving a comment?

Honestly, I wasn't going to leave a comment...

Still got this crash report

mattismyname (mattismyname) wrote :

I have never had this crash until just recently. I have amarok4 installed but that is about the only KDE app I use.

zdenek smetana (zyghom) wrote :

same happened here on Kubuntu 8.04 kde4

ciplogic (ciprian-mustiata) wrote :

it always reproduce for last alpha of KDE4 on logout... sometimes appears the "bomb" dialog for a fraction of second (till X quits). I have an up-to-date KDE4 from last Hardy Alpha

Lafa (luis-alves) wrote :

I switched to use kde4 login manager, I logged in in kde4, use it for while and logged out.
I logged in a gnome session and I saw I klauncher crash report .

vladdrac (caleb-rill) wrote :

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Lafa <email address hidden> wrote:

> I switched to use kde4 login manager, I logged in in kde4, use it for
> while and logged out.
> I logged in a gnome session and I saw I klauncher crash report .
>
> --
> klauncher crashed with SIGSEGV in __kernel_vsyscall()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/141418
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>

exactly what happened to my box!

Keith Z-G (keithzg) wrote :

I will add the "me too" for the bug report, exactly the same as everyone else is reporting (to be specific about my case I mainly use KDE3, and I use KDM instead of KDM-KDE4, but I also have KDE4 installed and it was the first time I logged into GNOME (ubuntu-studio to be precise) since updating to try out Hardy).

deuce (azinas) wrote :

So aside from all those confirmations... IS there a way to fix this bug?

Jonathan Ellison (jellison) wrote :

I would like to add a "me too" to the list.

Dilney (dilney) wrote :

I also have this problem, but when logging into GNOME. I have KDE4 installed, but wouldn't expect a KDE problem when logging into GNOME.

Was a clean install of 8.04 beta3. Using GNOME and this happened while rescanning collection. Just e few seconds from scanning, got this error. After a few mintutes, the scan completed anyway. Despite this little error, this is the greatest media player I've ever used. I use GNOME but can't live without Amarok!! THANK YOU ALL !!

Lafa (luis-alves) wrote :

just did a clean install of ubuntu gnome 8.04 beta3. Updated to the latest install kde4 meta package.
login into kde4, logged out.
logged in to gnome, and got this message

Same here on a fully updated/upgraded Ubuntu 8.04 with kubuntu-desktop and kd4 installed.
I get this error booting pc at Gnome startup.

Thank you

Changed in kdelibs:
status: New → Fix Released
Lafa (luis-alves) wrote :

I got it again and this time I did not even started KDE4, I'm just running KDE4 apps under gnome. I log out and logged in and I get this.

Jonathan Jesse (jjesse) wrote :

Started my 8.04 system w/ Ubuntu and KDE4 installed. When I start a KDE4 session I do not receive this error, when I start a GNOME session I receive the error message.

Jonathan

mike woods (mikew777) wrote :

Good Day
I too get this error when logging out from a gnome session after a new kernel install and then a restart running 8.04 Hardy with all the latest updates.

Satyaki Sharma (it-is-satyaki) wrote :

Same as Jonathon above.
I'm running Ubuntu Hardy Heron and recently installed SuperKaramba along with underlying base requirements of KDE4 core packages (via Synaptic). I didn't get any error when I logged into KDE4. However when I logged out and logged back in to GNOME I saw this application crash message.

I dont run KDE4 anymore at the moment, but the Hardy Heron 8.04 Béta, and there a had no trubbles at all.
In KDE4 i have the same problem.
Niki

Kjell Braden (afflux) wrote :

I marked a bunch of bugs as duplicate of this one as they were all crashers in the signal handlers in the XCloseDisplay call. Namely: 190931 211696 194317 211147 176842 206659 211936 182208 130833 176947 187903.

Feel free to unmark them if you think they are not.

Daniel Hahler (blueyed) wrote :

The fix appears to be available in KDE SVN:
Patch: svn diff -c 792866 svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/4.0/kdelibs
Web: http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&revision=792866

Daniel Hahler (blueyed) wrote :

I have this problem too

Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package kde4libs - 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu2

---------------
kde4libs (4:4.0.3-0ubuntu2) hardy; urgency=low

  * debian/patches/kubuntu_04_klauncher_crash_LP141418.diff:
    Fix segfault in klauncher (LP: #141418)
    Patch cherrypicked from KDE SVN.

 -- Daniel Hahler <email address hidden> Wed, 09 Apr 2008 00:22:32 +0200

Changed in kde4libs:
status: Triaged → Fix Released
apolo (montecristodr) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package kde4libs - 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu2

----- Mensaje original ----
De: Andy Christianson <email address hidden>
Para: <email address hidden>
Enviado: miércoles, 9 de abril, 2008 23:52:18
Asunto: [Bug 141418] Re: klauncher crashed with SIGSEGV in __kernel_vsyscall()

I have this problem too

--
klauncher crashed with SIGSEGV in __kernel_vsyscall()
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/141418
You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
of the bug.

      ______________________________________________
¿Con Mascota por primera vez? Sé un mejor Amigo. Entra en Yahoo! Respuestas http://es.answers.yahoo.com/info/welcome

  • unnamed Edit (3.1 KiB, text/html; charset="iso-8859-1")

ok thank you!!! 8.04 is really WOW!!!

> From: <email address hidden>
> To: <email address hidden>
> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:03:31 +0000
> Subject: Re: [Bug 141418] Re: klauncher crashed with SIGSEGV in __kernel_vsyscall()
>
> This bug was fixed in the package kde4libs - 4:4.0.3-0ubuntu2
>
> ----- Mensaje original ----
> De: Andy Christianson <email address hidden>
> Para: <email address hidden>
> Enviado: miércoles, 9 de abril, 2008 23:52:18
> Asunto: [Bug 141418] Re: klauncher crashed with SIGSEGV in __kernel_vsyscall()
>
> I have this problem too
>
> --
> klauncher crashed with SIGSEGV in __kernel_vsyscall()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/141418
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
>
>
>
> ______________________________________________
> ¿Con Mascota por primera vez? Sé un mejor Amigo. Entra en Yahoo! Respuestas http://es.answers.yahoo.com/info/welcome
>
> ** Attachment added: "unnamed"
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/13328883/unnamed
>
> --
> klauncher crashed with SIGSEGV in __kernel_vsyscall()
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/141418
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of a duplicate bug.
>
> Status in kdelibs: Fix Released
> Status in Source Package "kde4libs" in Ubuntu: Fix Released
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: kde4libs
>
> This bug occurred while updating my system on 09/20/07.
>
> ProblemType: Crash
> Architecture: i386
> Date: Thu Sep 20 20:51:43 2007
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 7.10
> ExecutablePath: /usr/lib/kde4/lib/kde4/libexec/klauncher
> NonfreeKernelModules: ath_hal
> Package: kdelibs5 3.93.0-0ubuntu1
> PackageArchitecture: i386
> ProcCmdline: klauncher
> ProcCwd: /home/fizgigg
> ProcEnviron:
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/bin:/usr/lib/kde4/bin/:/home/fizgigg/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> Signal: 11
> SourcePackage: kde4libs
> StacktraceTop:
> __kernel_vsyscall ()
> poll () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
> ?? () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
> ?? ()
> ?? ()
> Title: klauncher crashed with SIGSEGV in __kernel_vsyscall()
> Uname: Linux fizgigg-laptop 2.6.22-11-generic #1 SMP Mon Sep 17 03:45:58 GMT 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
> UserGroups: adm admin audio cdrom dialout dip floppy lpadmin netdev plugdev powerdev scanner video

_________________________________________________________________
Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger
http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=wlmailtagline

Changed in kdelibs:
importance: Unknown → Medium
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers

Remote bug watches

Bug watches keep track of this bug in other bug trackers.