Cannot change from Ayatana notifications to standard kde notifications in KDE SC 4.4 beta 1

Bug #498683 reported by Jonathan Jesse on 2009-12-20
10
This bug affects 1 person
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
kde-workspace (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

Binary package hint: kdebase-workspace

In a fresh install of Kubuntu 9.10 I enabled the Ayatana notification system and have since updated to the newest beta following the instructions on kubuntu.org.
Now there is not a way, that I can see to change back to normal kde notifications. I am getting som weird notifications related things I think because of this

Changed in kdebase-workspace (Ubuntu):
assignee: nobody → Scott Kitterman (kitterman)
importance: Undecided → High
milestone: none → lucid-alpha-2
status: New → In Progress
Jonathan Thomas (echidnaman) wrote :

One thing you could try is removing/adding a new system tray plasmoid. A workaround at best, but...

Aurélien Gâteau (agateau) wrote :

Did you check the "Application notifications" checkbox in systemtray settings?

Had no idea what checkbox actually meant, it is currently checked, does that
mean I am using the KDE notification System or Ayatana? Confused on what
means.

Also my notifications seem to be incomplete, example being Kopete
notifications no longer show the person who is sending me the chat message
(the picture) and has blank space around it

2009/12/21 Aurélien Gâteau <email address hidden>

> Did you check the "Application notifications" checkbox in systemtray
> settings?
>
> --
> Cannot change from Ayatana notifications to standard kde notifications in
> KDE SC 4.4 beta 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/498683
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “kdebase-workspace” package in Ubuntu: In Progress
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: kdebase-workspace
>
> In a fresh install of Kubuntu 9.10 I enabled the Ayatana notification
> system and have since updated to the newest beta following the instructions
> on kubuntu.org.
> Now there is not a way, that I can see to change back to normal kde
> notifications. I am getting som weird notifications related things I think
> because of this
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase-workspace/+bug/498683/+subscribe
>

Jonathan Jesse (jjesse) wrote :

correction on the last comment, II see the picture but not the username any
more. Don't know if that is a problem with kopete or a problem with the
notification system

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Jonathan Jesse <email address hidden> wrote:

> Had no idea what checkbox actually meant, it is currently checked, does
> that mean I am using the KDE notification System or Ayatana? Confused on
> what means.
>
> Also my notifications seem to be incomplete, example being Kopete
> notifications no longer show the person who is sending me the chat message
> (the picture) and has blank space around it
>
> 2009/12/21 Aurélien Gâteau <email address hidden>
>
> Did you check the "Application notifications" checkbox in systemtray
>> settings?
>>
>> --
>> Cannot change from Ayatana notifications to standard kde notifications in
>> KDE SC 4.4 beta 1
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/498683
>> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
>> of the bug.
>>
>> Status in “kdebase-workspace” package in Ubuntu: In Progress
>>
>> Bug description:
>> Binary package hint: kdebase-workspace
>>
>> In a fresh install of Kubuntu 9.10 I enabled the Ayatana notification
>> system and have since updated to the newest beta following the instructions
>> on kubuntu.org.
>> Now there is not a way, that I can see to change back to normal kde
>> notifications. I am getting som weird notifications related things I think
>> because of this
>>
>> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase-workspace/+bug/498683/+subscribe
>>
>
>

Aurélien Gâteau (agateau) wrote :

As far as I know Ayatana notification patch has not been and will not be applied to KDE 4.4 beta packages. If the checkbox is checked you should get Plasma notifications, if it is not checked you should get knotify old-school notifications (grey box with a 2 pixels black border)

About Kopete notifications, this might be related to Kopete itself.

You might want to do more testing with notify-send (from libnotify-bin package), a command line tool to create notifications:

notify-send -i kde Hello "This is a text"

should show a notification with a KDE logo, "Hello" as a title and "This is a text" as a body

Jonathan Jesse (jjesse) wrote :

ok i do not get a KDE logo, but everything works correctly. where does that
leave me?

2009/12/23 Aurélien Gâteau <email address hidden>

> As far as I know Ayatana notification patch has not been and will not be
> applied to KDE 4.4 beta packages. If the checkbox is checked you should
> get Plasma notifications, if it is not checked you should get knotify
> old-school notifications (grey box with a 2 pixels black border)
>
> About Kopete notifications, this might be related to Kopete itself.
>
> You might want to do more testing with notify-send (from libnotify-bin
> package), a command line tool to create notifications:
>
> notify-send -i kde Hello "This is a text"
>
> should show a notification with a KDE logo, "Hello" as a title and "This
> is a text" as a body
>
> --
> Cannot change from Ayatana notifications to standard kde notifications in
> KDE SC 4.4 beta 1
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/498683
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.
>
> Status in “kdebase-workspace” package in Ubuntu: In Progress
>
> Bug description:
> Binary package hint: kdebase-workspace
>
> In a fresh install of Kubuntu 9.10 I enabled the Ayatana notification
> system and have since updated to the newest beta following the instructions
> on kubuntu.org.
> Now there is not a way, that I can see to change back to normal kde
> notifications. I am getting som weird notifications related things I think
> because of this
>
> To unsubscribe from this bug, go to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase-workspace/+bug/498683/+subscribe
>

Simonarde Júnior (simonarde) wrote :

Well, I like Ayatana too, and after upgrade, the Ayatana option in notification configs are gone... I've seached around and found this:
-- http://people.canonical.com/~agateau/plasma-ayatana-notifications/
And now I've got my cool notifications from Ayatana back!

Hope it helps :) (and sorry for my bad English)

Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> ok i do not get a KDE logo, but everything works correctly. where does that
> leave me?

When using Plasma notifications, the KDE logo looks quite small: it
should be in the "title" bar, not where Kopete avatar is supposed to
show. Can you check again you don't see it?

Simonarde Júnior wrote:
> Well, I like Ayatana too, and after upgrade, the Ayatana option in notification configs are gone... I've seached around and found this:
> -- http://people.canonical.com/~agateau/plasma-ayatana-notifications/
> And now I've got my cool notifications from Ayatana back!

The experimental .so from this page is a patched version of KDE 4.3
systemtray applet. I would advice against using it. In the long time you
 should use Colibri [1] instead. It should be part of Lucid at some
point (crossing fingers :))

Aurélien

[1]:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Colibri?content=117147

Changed in kdebase-workspace (Ubuntu):
assignee: Scott Kitterman (kitterman) → nobody
milestone: lucid-alpha-2 → none
status: In Progress → New
Harald Sitter (apachelogger) wrote :

Is this still valid?

Changed in kdebase-workspace (Ubuntu):
status: New → Incomplete
affects: kdebase-workspace (Ubuntu) → kde-workspace (Ubuntu)
Scott Kitterman (kitterman) wrote :

Since this only relates to a karmic patch I think it's wontfix at this point.

Aurélien Gâteau (agateau) wrote :

Agreed

Changed in kde-workspace (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Won't Fix
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers