[master] package kaccounts-providers (not installed) failed to install/upgrade: trying to overwrite '/etc/signon-ui/webkit-options.d/www.facebook.com.conf', which is also in package account-plugin-facebook 0.12+16.04.20160126-0ubuntu1

Bug #1617564 reported by syamkumar on 2016-08-27
This bug affects 217 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
One Hundred Papercuts
High
Unassigned
account-plugins (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned
kaccounts-providers (Ubuntu)
High
Unassigned

Bug Description

showing this error when installing kde environment in ubuntu 16.04. it say kaccounts niot installed. so i think it may cause some security issue

ProblemType: Package
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
Package: kaccounts-providers (not installed)
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-34.53-generic 4.4.15
Uname: Linux 4.4.0-34-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: wl
ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
Architecture: amd64
Date: Sat Aug 27 18:11:18 2016
DuplicateSignature:
 package:kaccounts-providers:(not installed)
 Unpacking kde-config-telepathy-accounts (4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1) ...
 dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
  trying to overwrite '/usr/share/accounts/services/google-im.service', which is also in package account-plugin-google 0.12+16.04.20160126-0ubuntu1
ErrorMessage: trying to overwrite '/etc/signon-ui/webkit-options.d/www.facebook.com.conf', which is also in package account-plugin-facebook 0.12+16.04.20160126-0ubuntu1
InstallationDate: Installed on 2016-08-25 (1 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64 (20160420.1)
RelatedPackageVersions:
 dpkg 1.18.4ubuntu1.1
 apt 1.2.12~ubuntu16.04.1
SourcePackage: kaccounts-providers
Title: package kaccounts-providers (not installed) failed to install/upgrade: trying to overwrite '/etc/signon-ui/webkit-options.d/www.facebook.com.conf', which is also in package account-plugin-facebook 0.12+16.04.20160126-0ubuntu1
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)

syamkumar (syamkumar3526) wrote :

Thanks for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make Ubuntu better. We appreciate the difficulties you are facing, but this appears to be a "regular" (non-security) bug. I have unmarked it as a security issue since this bug does not show evidence of allowing attackers to cross privilege boundaries nor directly cause loss of data/privacy. Please feel free to report any other bugs you may find.

information type: Private Security → Public
tags: removed: need-duplicate-check
Changed in kaccounts-providers (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High
Changed in hundredpapercuts:
status: New → Confirmed
importance: Undecided → High

Was this a stand alone install or part of a series of installs as mine was?

I am curious if syamkumar Also used the Ubuntu Software Center to install Konquer with KDE Telepathy and the other add-ons below, then, received the same error messages after.

If he or she did, the problem might be in the order in which things installed or one install affecting kaccounts.

After clicking enter to submit this problem report
the I received two more Errors:

"Failed due to problem with installed package Correct?" "Cancel [or] Yes"
I clicked "Yes"
and Got

"Failed to correct system problem Correct?" "Cancel Yes"
I clicked "Yes"
and it repeated,
I clicked "Cancel" this time and expected a problem when rebooting, However, no more error messages have appeared and Konquer seems to be functioning normally.

In 16.04 installing
konqueror 4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1

Used Ubuntu Software Center to install Konquer with these add-ons:

* Raster fonts
* Service menu entries for ISO handling
* KDE Telepathy
* Plugins for thumbnails for Debian & Open Office and
* plugin for the web doc browser

This is the details of when the system tries to repair the problem above when opening the Ubuntu Software Center.

When I find the "KDE Control Module ... Accounts kde-config-telepathy-accounts"
in Ubuntu Software Center after cancelling the attempted repair [details below] The button is marked "Install" instead of "Remove" which means I cannot un-install it or repair it.

Now when I open Ubuntu Software Center I receive:

"New software can't be installed, because there is a problem with the software currently installed. Do you want to repair the problem now? Cancel Repair"

If I select Repair I get:
"Package operation failed. The installation or removal of a software package failed"

details:
installArchives() failed: (Reading database ...
(Reading database ... 5%
. . .

(Reading database ... 100%
(Reading database ... 365898 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking
kde-config-telepathy-accounts (4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1) ...

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):

trying to overwrite '/usr/share/accounts/services/google-im.service', which is also in package account-plugin-google 0.12+16.04.20160126-0ubuntu1

Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu3) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kde-telepathy-minimal:

 kde-telepathy-minimal depends on kde-config-telepathy-accounts (>= 15.04.0); however:
  Package kde-config-telepathy-accounts is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package kde-telepathy-minimal (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kde-telepathy:
 kde-telepathy depends on kde-telepathy-minimal (= 15.04.20ubuntu1); however:
  Package kde-telepathy-minimal is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package kde-telepathy (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Hope something in this helps.

Could kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb be the problem?

Just tried to uninstall kde-config-telepathy-accounts using ~# apt-get purge and got
"is not installed, so not removed"

one DEB keeps showing up in failed processes, that is:

kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

in

/var/cache/apt/archives/

Noted this Having done this round of commands, each recommended by the previous process. kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb showed up 6 times.

~# apt-get purge kde-config-telepathy-accounts
~# apt-get -f install
~# apt-get autoremove
The package system is broken
Check if you are using third party repositories. If so disable them, since they are a common source of problems.
Unchecked all non Canonical repositories and updated out of date packages successfully.
Furthermore run the following command in a Terminal: apt-get install -f
~# apt-get install -f
~# apt-get autoremove
~# apt-get autoremove -f

description: updated
Download full text (3.8 KiB)

That might be the case. In my case I got apt-get back by removing the google accounts package.

> Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 07:01:47 +0000
> From: <email address hidden>
> To: <email address hidden>
> Subject: [Bug 1617564] Re: package kaccounts-providers (not installed) failed to install/upgrade: trying to overwrite '/etc/signon-ui/webkit-options.d/www.facebook.com.conf', which is also in package account-plugin-facebook 0.12+16.04.20160126-0ubuntu1
>
> Could kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb be
> the problem?
>
> Just tried to uninstall kde-config-telepathy-accounts using ~# apt-get purge and got
> "is not installed, so not removed"
>
> one DEB keeps showing up in failed processes, that is:
>
> kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
>
> in
>
> /var/cache/apt/archives/
>
> Noted this Having done this round of commands, each recommended by the previous process. kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb showed up 6 times.
>
> ~# apt-get purge kde-config-telepathy-accounts
> ~# apt-get -f install
> ~# apt-get autoremove
> The package system is broken
> Check if you are using third party repositories. If so disable them, since they are a common source of problems.
> Unchecked all non Canonical repositories and updated out of date packages successfully.
> Furthermore run the following command in a Terminal: apt-get install -f
> ~# apt-get install -f
> ~# apt-get autoremove
> ~# apt-get autoremove -f
>
> --
> You received this bug notification because you are subscribed to a
> duplicate bug report (1617978).
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1617564
>
> Title:
> package kaccounts-providers (not installed) failed to install/upgrade:
> trying to overwrite '/etc/signon-ui/webkit-
> options.d/www.facebook.com.conf', which is also in package account-
> plugin-facebook 0.12+16.04.20160126-0ubuntu1
>
> Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
> Confirmed
> Status in kaccounts-providers package in Ubuntu:
> Confirmed
>
> Bug description:
> showing this error when installing kde environment in ubuntu 16.04. it
> say kaccounts niot installed. so i think it may cause some security
> issue
>
> ProblemType: Package
> DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
> Package: kaccounts-providers (not installed)
> ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-34.53-generic 4.4.15
> Uname: Linux 4.4.0-34-generic x86_64
> NonfreeKernelModules: wl
> ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
> Architecture: amd64
> Date: Sat Aug 27 18:11:18 2016
> DuplicateSignature:
> package:kaccounts-providers:(not installed)
> Unpacking kde-config-telepathy-accounts (4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1) ...
> dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/kde-config-telepathy-accounts_4%3a15.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
> trying to overwrite '/usr/share/accounts/services/google-im.service', which is also in package account-plugin-google 0.12+16.04.20160126-0ubuntu1
> ErrorMessage: trying to overwrite '/etc/signon-ui/webkit-options.d/www.facebook.com.conf', which is also in package account-plugin-facebook 0.12+16.04.20160126-0ubuntu1
> InstallationDate: Installed on 2016-08-25 (1 days ago)
...

Read more...

tags: added: bugpattern-needed
summary: - package kaccounts-providers (not installed) failed to install/upgrade:
- trying to overwrite '/etc/signon-ui/webkit-
+ [master] package kaccounts-providers (not installed) failed to
+ install/upgrade: trying to overwrite '/etc/signon-ui/webkit-
options.d/www.facebook.com.conf', which is also in package account-
plugin-facebook 0.12+16.04.20160126-0ubuntu1
Changed in account-plugins (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Changed in account-plugins (Ubuntu):
importance: Undecided → High

Thanks for the info Lasse Hansen,

it works!!!

Lasse Hansen's fix works for me as well. Thank you!

Seth Arnold (seth-arnold) wrote :

Is there any chance someone from the desktop team could add a Conflicts: line (or whichever line is most appropriate) to account-plugin-facebook in account-plugins before 18.04 LTS is released, so we could avoid another five years of this bug? :)

Please? :)

Thanks

To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Duplicates of this bug

Other bug subscribers