jockey crashed during installation of ubuntu, apparently no effect on the installation, which continued normally

Bug #403955 reported by Andrew on 2009-07-24
902
This bug affects 152 people
Affects Status Importance Assigned to Milestone
Jockey
Undecided
bhagirath singh
jockey (Ubuntu)
Medium
Martin Pitt
Lucid
Medium
Martin Pitt

Bug Description

xubuntu 9.10 alpha 3

ProblemType: Crash
.var.log.jockey.log:

Architecture: amd64
Date: Fri Jul 24 00:06:43 2009
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.10
ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/jockey-gtk
InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
LiveMediaBuild: Xubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Alpha amd64 (20090722.3)
MachineType: To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Package: jockey-gtk 0.5.3-0ubuntu2
PackageArchitecture: all
ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/xhostname.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- console-setup/layoutcode=gb
ProcCmdline: /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/jockey-gtk --check 60
ProcEnviron:
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.31-3.19-generic
PythonArgs: ['/usr/bin/jockey-gtk', '--check', '60']
SourcePackage: jockey
Title: jockey-gtk crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
Uname: Linux 2.6.31-3-generic x86_64
UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
dmi.bios.date: 04/16/2009
dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
dmi.bios.version: P1.10
dmi.board.name: M3A790GXH/128M
dmi.board.vendor: ASRock
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
dmi.chassis.type: 3
dmi.chassis.vendor: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
dmi.chassis.version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvrP1.10:bd04/16/2009:svnToBeFilledByO.E.M.:pnToBeFilledByO.E.M.:pvrToBeFilledByO.E.M.:rvnASRock:rnM3A790GXH/128M:rvr:cvnToBeFilledByO.E.M.:ct3:cvrToBeFilledByO.E.M.:
dmi.product.name: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
dmi.product.version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
dmi.sys.vendor: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Andrew (andrewfarri1) wrote :
tags: removed: need-duplicate-check
Andreas Olsson (andol) on 2009-07-25
visibility: private → public
Th. Sievers (th-sievers) wrote :

unsubscribe

Tobin Davis (gruemaster) on 2009-10-28
Changed in jockey (Ubuntu):
status: New → Confirmed
Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Unfortunately the attached jockey.log is empty and the traceback is just for the client side, which does not tell me what happened to the backend. Can you please give some more details about what you did?

Are you able to reproduce this? If so, please open a Terminal and do

  sudo killall jockey-backend
  sudo /usr/share/jockey/jockey-backend --debug -l /tmp/jockey.log

then open Jockey again, replicate the problem, watch the backend crash.Then please attach /tmp/jockey.log here. Thanks!

Changed in jockey (Ubuntu):
status: Confirmed → Incomplete
importance: Undecided → Medium
Download full text (3.3 KiB)

I've got the Xubuntu RC installed now and that has been working
perfectly. Installation went smoothly, ATI driver installed OK also.
The alpha 3 installaton has long gone, and I've had a hard disc failure
since then, so even the disc has gone! The problem seems to have been
solved in the RC though. I might even start using Xubuntu instead of
Linux Mint!

Best wishes, Andrew Farrington

>----Original Message----
>From: <email address hidden>
>Date: 29/10/2009 11:08
>To: <email address hidden>
>Subj: [Bug 403955] Re: jockey crashed during installation of xubuntu,
apparently no effect on the installation, which continued normally
>
>Unfortunately the attached jockey.log is empty and the traceback is
just
>for the client side, which does not tell me what happened to the
>backend. Can you please give some more details about what you did?
>
>Are you able to reproduce this? If so, please open a Terminal and do
>
> sudo killall jockey-backend
> sudo /usr/share/jockey/jockey-backend --debug -l /tmp/jockey.log
>
>then open Jockey again, replicate the problem, watch the backend
>crash.Then please attach /tmp/jockey.log here. Thanks!
>
>** Changed in: jockey (Ubuntu)
> Status: Confirmed => Incomplete
>
>** Changed in: jockey (Ubuntu)
> Importance: Undecided => Medium
>
>--
>jockey crashed during installation of xubuntu, apparently no effect
on the installation, which continued normally
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/403955
>You received this bug notification because you are a direct
subscriber
>of the bug.
>
>Status in “jockey” package in Ubuntu: Incomplete
>
>Bug description:
>xubuntu 9.10 alpha 3
>
>ProblemType: Crash
>.var.log.jockey.log:
>
>Architecture: amd64
>Date: Fri Jul 24 00:06:43 2009
>DistroRelease: Ubuntu 9.10
>ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/jockey-gtk
>InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.6
>LiveMediaBuild: Xubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Alpha amd64
(20090722.3)
>MachineType: To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M.
>Package: jockey-gtk 0.5.3-0ubuntu2
>PackageArchitecture: all
>ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/xhostname.
seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- console-
setup/layoutcode=gb
>ProcCmdline: /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/jockey-gtk --check 60
>ProcEnviron:
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> SHELL=/bin/bash
>ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.31-3.19-generic
>PythonArgs: ['/usr/bin/jockey-gtk', '--check', '60']
>SourcePackage: jockey
>Title: jockey-gtk crashed with DBusException in call_blocking()
>Uname: Linux 2.6.31-3-generic x86_64
>UserGroups: adm admin cdrom dialout lpadmin plugdev sambashare
>dmi.bios.date: 04/16/2009
>dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
>dmi.bios.version: P1.10
>dmi.board.name: M3A790GXH/128M
>dmi.board.vendor: ASRock
>dmi.chassis.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
>dmi.chassis.type: 3
>dmi.chassis.vendor: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
>dmi.chassis.version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
>dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvrP1.10:bd04/16/2009:
svnToBeFilledByO.E.M.:pnToBeFilledByO.E.M.:pvrToBeFilledByO.E.M.:
rvnASRock:rnM3A790GXH/128M:rvr:cvnToBeFilledByO.E.M.:ct3:
cvrToBeFilledByO.E.M.:
>dmi.product.name: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
>dmi.product.version: To Be ...

Read more...

Dave Martin (dave-martin-arm) wrote :

In my case, I did not do anything explicit to provoke this error -- it happened by itself after the desktop session started when booting a live image.

I'll try to provide some more information if I see it again, but I don't know how to reproduce the problem reliably.

same happens with me and installing normal ubuntu 64bit on a toshiba satelite with core2 duo

glava (glava11) wrote :

after i installed ubuntu jockey crashed again and after i downloaded new graphic drivers and install them i was unable to boot ubuntu any more.. black screen after white ubuntu logo when booting..
hope you will fix it

tags: added: iso-testing
Juan Jose Pablos (cheche) wrote :

I am able to repdroduce on 10.04 daily live CD of today

summary: - jockey crashed during installation of xubuntu, apparently no effect on
+ jockey crashed during installation of ubuntu, apparently no effect on
the installation, which continued normally
tags: added: karmic
tags: added: bugpattern-needed
tags: added: bugpattern-written
removed: bugpattern-needed
Paolo Sammicheli (xdatap1) wrote :

Martin,

I did what you asked:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo killall jockey-backend
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo /usr/share/jockey/jockey-backend --debug -l /tmp/jockey.log

And I Instantly got a jokey crash. Apport guided me to this bug, then i pressed ctrl-c for stopping jokey-backend:

^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/jockey/jockey-backend", line 75, in <module>
    svr.run_dbus_service(argv_options.timeout)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/jockey/backend.py", line 595, in run_dbus_service
    main_loop.run()
KeyboardInterrupt

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cat /tmp/jockey.log

what happens is that /tmp/jockey.log is empty. :(

This happens with Lucid Netbook Remix Alpha 2 on a Dell Inspiron 1520. The first time I encounter it, it happened alone, without doing anything apparently. (I was just browsing the web for testing network) If you launch manually Jockey it works normally.

How can I help you more?

Paolo Sammicheli (xdatap1) wrote :

And also, if you want to take a look to my logs, they are attached to #507124 which is duplicate of this one.

Ronshua (ronshua) wrote :

bug fix 403955 - - unscribe - - <email address hidden> -- - thanks , I'm useing Zorin now .

tags: added: bugpattern-needed
bdpf (bdpf) on 2010-01-23
Changed in jockey:
status: New → Incomplete
Paolo Sammicheli (xdatap1) wrote :

@bdpf: if you change status on a bug you should explain why. What kind of information are missing? I just provided everything the system produce.

Changed in jockey (Ubuntu):
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
Changed in jockey:
status: Incomplete → Confirmed
tags: removed: bugpattern-needed
vmc (vmclark) wrote :

Why does the status keep changing?

tags: added: bugpattern-needed
Victor Costan (costan) wrote :

Got this bug in Ubuntu (mainstream, no flavor like Xubuntu) 10.04 amd64, running on MacMini3,1 and trying to use Hardware Drivers to detect my wireless card. Hardware Drivers worked before, it let me get the proprietary nVidia drivers.

Victor Costan (costan) wrote :

Looking through previous comments, it seems to me like the developers would like a jockey.log to play with. Here's mine!

Martin Pitt (pitti) on 2010-03-18
Changed in jockey (Ubuntu Lucid):
status: Confirmed → Triaged
assignee: nobody → Martin Pitt (pitti)
milestone: none → ubuntu-10.04-beta-2
Alberto Russo (valix) wrote :

I can confirm the same thing is happening on lucid beta 1 daily cd 2010-03-18

Martin Pitt (pitti) on 2010-03-19
Changed in jockey (Ubuntu Lucid):
status: Triaged → In Progress
Martin Pitt (pitti) wrote :

Fixed in trunk r621.

Changed in jockey:
status: Confirmed → Fix Released
Changed in jockey (Ubuntu Lucid):
status: In Progress → Fix Committed
Launchpad Janitor (janitor) wrote :

This bug was fixed in the package jockey - 0.5.8-0ubuntu2

---------------
jockey (0.5.8-0ubuntu2) lucid; urgency=low

  * Merge fixes from trunk:
    - ui.py, check(): If the user is running Jockey with package installation
      or another long-running task in parallel, the automatic --check
      invocation will time out on connecting to the backend. This is not
      fatal, just print an error message instead of crashing. (LP: #403955)
    - jockey-gtk: Fix progress dialogs to not be maximizable. (LP: #537911)
    - Do not parent the KMessageBox, since in some cases the errors can come
      before the MainWindow is initialized. Thanks Jonathan Thomas!
 -- Martin Pitt <email address hidden> Sat, 20 Mar 2010 22:36:55 +0100

Changed in jockey (Ubuntu Lucid):
status: Fix Committed → Fix Released
Schepperzwo (schepperzwo) wrote :

my englsih si not so good i don#t understand what happend and whats the cure?

PGScooter (pgscooter) wrote :

Similar story. My crash happened when I was using the Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit live usb. I can test any proposed fix if it is helpful. Just let me know.

I hade the same problem testing maverick on a livecd, with a sony vaio vgn fz21m. After jockey-gtk crashed, I typed sudo killall jockey-backend, then I could load the hardware drivers program, and also load the nvidia proprietary drivers. But on terminal I had these error messages:
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkWindow)
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkInvisible)
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GtkObject)

Changed in jockey:
assignee: nobody → bhagirath singh (bhagirath-markand)
Anita (anita90) wrote :

Installing ubuntu 10.10 beta, livecd.

Jordi (pelegrin-jordi) wrote :

I'm a Toshiba Satellite A-140 and the jockey-gtk crash in Ubuntu 10.10 64 bits live CD.
When install jockey-gtk works?
Thank you very much.

.var.log.jockey.log crashed while installing lubuntu 10.10 from live cd , using apprt to report a bug but it told me this is already reported and opened to me this site

iav (iav) wrote :

It's good that it's known bug.
But how can I set Ubuntu to netbook after them?

Marius Mazuru (marius-mazuru) wrote :

So is there any solution to it? I am on Ubuntu 10.10 on a Dell 1765, and the same happens here - I can not install the ATI driver or the wireless drive - install crashes.

thanks

tags: removed: bugpattern-needed
To post a comment you must log in.
This report contains Public information  Edit
Everyone can see this information.

Other bug subscribers